GM ability

jason

For years and years we have watched the draft and said to ourselves, "WTF is that pick? Why aren't they factoring in need? Who the hell is that and where did he play? Why are they trying to show how cute or smart they are? Just make smart freaking picks!!!"

Is this FINALLY the GM who picks how we more or less agree? Sorry guys, but based on the horrible drafts of the past, I still don't think they were competent in their jobs, regardless of how much inside info they had. If they were that good, and that above the average person, much less the die-hard like this board, then they would have had much better success. This is especially true for JA - dartboard selection could have worked better than JA picks.

We would have done better over the years. But maybe, just maybe, Pace is the guy who turns it all around? Maybe he is the guy who has multiple solid drafts and proves his knowledge/ability? Based on the first three rounds, I'm a believer.

For years and years we have watched the draft and said to ourselves, "WTF is that pick? Why aren't they factoring in need? Who the hell is that and where did he play? Why are they trying to show how cute or smart they are? Just make smart freaking picks!!!"

Is this FINALLY the GM who picks how we more or less agree? Sorry guys, but based on the horrible drafts of the past, I still don't think they were competent in their jobs, regardless of how much inside info they had. If they were that good, and that above the average person, much less the die-hard like this board, then they would have had much better success. This is especially true for JA - dartboard selection could have worked better than JA picks.

We would have done better over the years. But maybe, just maybe, Pace is the guy who turns it all around? Maybe he is the guy who has multiple solid drafts and proves his knowledge/ability? Based on the first three rounds, I'm a believer.

You're letting the giddiness of these drafts get the best of you. Yes its possible that all three of these guys end up being HOF'ers. A lot has yet to be seen.

What we do know of the last number of drafts of who we did get: Kyle Long, Kyle Fuller, Alshon Jeffery, Matt Forte, KaDeem Carey, Marquess Wilson, Will Sutton, Ego Ferguson, Cornelius Washington, Brock Vereen, Jon Bostic, Lance Briggs, Charles Tillman all came through our team's draft. Most of these guys are either still with the team and/or had pretty successful careers after being drafted. So let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Yeah, there was always a few head scratchers or reaches every year. Between our free agent signings (and contracts), and now our top 3 picks, I have complete faith in this staff. It is hard to not come away impressed with what Pace and Co. have done so far.

Your list is very odd. You threw in several guys who have not performed or have done little.

Right, nor have any of the three drafted yesterday or today. But of the list I provided, almost all (save Vereen and Washington and maybe Wilson) have a very good possibility in contributing to the team long term. Except also of course Briggs and Tillman.

I was thinking the same thing. Kevin White will be a 2015 starter. In 2016, I feel like along with White, Grasu will be the starting center and Goldman the starting nose. These all seem like safe picks that will be starting players for years. GM's talk about building their teams from inside-out, Pace started with the center on offense and defense.

You're letting the giddiness of these drafts get the best of you. Yes its possible that all three of these guys end up being HOF'ers. A lot has yet to be seen.

What we do know of the last number of drafts of who we did get: Kyle Long, Kyle Fuller, Alshon Jeffery, Matt Forte, KaDeem Carey, Marquess Wilson, Will Sutton, Ego Ferguson, Cornelius Washington, Brock Vereen, Jon Bostic, Lance Briggs, Charles Tillman all came through our team's draft. Most of these guys are either still with the team and/or had pretty successful careers after being drafted. So let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Pace's first already looks better than Emery's. Granted he drafted higher.

SMC - sad but he is a bust. I had hoped he would pan out

Alshon- wanted him in the 1st, Emery traded up to get him....good job

Hardin - did he even play a down?????

Less head scratchers doesn't equate to good players. I'm not saying this will be a bust draft, but its as likely it is compared to all being good starters for years.

One or two will likely be people you are cussing at on Sundays.

I'm not promoting the old GMs, just saying to not crown Pa e yet. The previous GMs and pace have created so many holes, that anyone drafted in their predicted area looks good, as they fill a need.

Marshall was traded, draft White. We switched schemes that our prowbowl DT doesn't fit, or the 2 DTS drafted last year, draft a fat guy. Cut the center that just signed and not sign De LA Pointe, draft a center. Pace made the holes he's killing

Less head scratchers doesn't equate to good players. I'm not saying this will be a bust draft, but its as likely it is compared to all being good starters for years.

I'm not promoting the old GMs, just saying to not crown Pa e yet. The previous GMs and pace have created so many holes, that anyone drafted in their predicted area looks good, as they fill a need.

Marshall was traded, draft White. We switched schemes that our prowbowl DT doesn't fit, or the 2 DTS drafted last year, draft a fat guy. Cut the center that just signed and not sign De LA Pointe, draft a center. Pace made the holes he's killing

The part about this year is the Bears decided to tear down from the top and start over. We are lucky there are not more holes. Now it's about rebuilding for a couple years. Many guys do not fit and they are stuck with some guys. Next year they can dump alot of salary.

The part about this year is the Bears decided to tear down from the top and start over. We are lucky there are not more holes. Now it's about rebuilding for a couple years. Many guys do not fit and they are stuck with some guys. Next year they can dump alot of salary.

Personally I don't like Pace. I'm not saying anyone else shouldn't. Just that liking the draft at the moment doesn't mean he'll be any better or that the team is better.

I too am impressed so far.

This is truly an exciting time for us fans. This could really be the beginning of something special.

We have no idea how this all turns out, 2 to 3 years from now, we could be complaining about Pace or high fiving on the fact he knows how to draft.

I am always optimistic about whoever is there until proven differently. I will say this smells different, they perform like smart people, as much as I thought the last regime did, there was a lot of WTF.

Pace will make some mistakes along the way, but the most important thing is to make us a consistent winner and it feels like its going in that direction.

I think so far we have 3 starters,maybe not day 1, but before the end of the year. Grasu may be my favorite player by the time it is said and done. He is a leader, something this team didnt have last year.

White will shine, and Goldman will be steady, but what I do think is different is we will have the ability to develop players something I questioned a lot in the past.

What were doing is changing our culture in the locker room, gone is Marshall, no matter how good he was, a distraction that led to chaos. It seems like a step sideways but now we have a deep threat, something Marshall wasnt.

Rolle and now Grasu will be leaders, something that was lacking.

If you look at how everything breaks down, we will field a competitive team, maybe 8 wins. If everything turns out good, it could be more, but we have a lot to change and it may take a few years.

We still need a RT or RG and move Long. Tre Jackson is still there and is a mauler in the run game. The top 2 OTs have questions but would be a good addition.

We need more safety depth, I doubt if there is a starter left to draft, but maybe one we can develop--Deron Smith, James Sample. Adian Amos, Campbell, Pewitt, and Harris. ( we will be grabbing one)

I think we are set at all our LB positions, with bodies to sort out.

We could be adding a CB, there are some left with upside. IEO, Shaw, but I like the idea of Nick Marshall as a player to develop.

There still some plum RBs out there. Ajayi, Cobb, Bud Allen,Langford.

Right, nor have any of the three drafted yesterday or today. But of the list I provided, almost all (save Vereen and Washington and maybe Wilson) have a very good possibility in contributing to the team long term. Except also of course Briggs and Tillman.

Should we make a list of horrible picks in the last 10-15 years, or is the mere suggestion sufficient enough to prove the point?

I mean, how many times does someone need to post an article where the GM succeeds via draft pick is analyzed, and the Bears are at the bottom? Or the ones where they throw in how many home grown players the Bears have vs other teams?

I'll give you Pace created an extra hole by trading BM, but thats it. I didn't agree with getting rid of him. Clearly his actions and headaches caused were too great to keep him around or else why would you get rid of him. It has been said that the Bears told Pace BM had to go, which i hope was not the case as Pace is suppose to have total control.

As for switching scheme and the center comment, it was time to move on. You hire one of the best DC in the game you go with his scheme.

Garza was terrible last year, it was time to move on.

You want a team to have sustained success you improve the Oline and Dline. With this draft he added a possible game changer with the first pick. The Bears needed a speed WR, he added a 4.3 guy that still has size and strength. A lot of time you get a WR with speed but wont be 6'3 or have strength. Next he went Dline and Oline which Im all for, adding youth to these areas while improving play will be huge.

You want a team to have sustained success you improve the Oline and Dline. With this draft he added a possible game changer with the first pick. The Bears needed a speed WR, he added a 4.3 guy that still has size and strength. A lot of time you get a WR with speed but wont be 6'3 or have strength. Next he went Dline and Oline which Im all for, adding youth to these areas while improving play will be huge.

AMEN. Put a great OL and DL on a team and you can have lesser talent at various other spots (i. e. Trent Dilfer).

Personally I don't like Pace. I'm not saying anyone else shouldn't. Just that liking the draft at the moment doesn't mean he'll be any better or that the team is better.

I personally like what pace is doing... he is doing it the smart way... lose the bad attitudes and build up the lines... games are won in the trenches... Seattle has a good o and d line which = success!

How can you form such a strong negative opinion of Pace in such a short period of time. He has not had a chance to prove himself a good or bad GM at this point in time. He is still wet behind the ears. That is what I do not understand.

How can you form such a strong negative opinion of Pace in such a short period of time. He has not had a chance to prove himself a good or bad GM at this point in time. He is still wet behind the ears. That is what I do not understand.

Retaining Cutler instead of getting out of the contract when he could. Letting Tillman go, as I felt he has a few really good years left. Letting go of the second best player on offense, only to have to use a first round pick to fill that hole. The team already had more holes than swiss cheese when he came in. Giving Pernell, not a starting player on his own team, such a large contract. He very well overpaid for Eddie Royal. I could go on, but I think you have the idea.

He came from a team that is in shambles when he left, and I'm still not sold on the Saints being a good front office to learn from. I love the addition of Fox, but that was basically a no brainer. Other than that, I think he's did more to deplete the roster than add to it. I'm not trying to convince others not to like them, just explaining my strong negative opinion of him. I'm glad that most of a the board is excited. I'd just wait before he is anointed.

Retaining Cutler instead of getting out of the contract when he could. Letting Tillman go, as I felt he has a few really good years left. Letting go of the second best player on offense, only to have to use a first round pick to fill that hole. The team already had more holes than swiss cheese when he came in. Giving Pernell, not a starting player on his own team, such a large contract. He very well overpaid for Eddie Royal. I could go on, but I think you have the idea.

He came from a team that is in shambles when he left, and I'm still not sold on the Saints being a good front office to learn from. I love the addition of Fox, but that was basically a no brainer. Other than that, I think he's did more to deplete the roster than add to it. I'm not trying to convince others not to like them, just explaining my strong negative opinion of him. I'm glad that most of a the board is excited. I'd just wait before he is anointed.

What was the opportunity Pace had to get out of the Cutler contract? And who would be our QB instead ?

I was again the Marshall trade. However, once I realized that we were going to emphasize "team first" instead of "me first" and send that message, I think it's a step in the right direction. We're no longer catering to a-holes.

I'm good with drafting Kevin White as long as we can resign Alshon. Otherwise it will be like we're just spinning our wheels at the position.

The only thing he did with Cutler was allowed 10 mil more guaranteed for 2016, what other choice did he have? I think they want to be competitive and retaining Cutler for at least one more year is the only way. There strengthening the oline, which improves the run game which puts Cutler in a better place to not turn the ball over. I dont pretend Jay is anything special, he is a 15-20 rated QB that makes lot of bad choices. We need to limit his mistakes. Im all for getting a new QB but this is the not the year that will happen.

What they did was add a Pernell on an up and coming player that they did over pay for. It was a need that they had the extra money for by trading Marshall who the majority of the team didnt want around. They over paid for Royal but this isnt going to be the offense we had last year, we now have better options with a true slot WR and a speed Wr in White. We are not going to be predictable of which we were with Marshall and Jeffery. Paces report card cant be filled out for at least two years, but I like where it is going.

Your entitled to your opinion and may someday be right, but would like to hear your ( I was wrong) comment, two years from now when these risky player changes prove good. I am sure you will still be complaining about Tillman being gone and how we should have kept Marshall and got rid of Cutler.

Should we make a list of horrible picks in the last 10-15 years, or is the mere suggestion sufficient enough to prove the point?

I mean, how many times does someone need to post an article where the GM succeeds via draft pick is analyzed, and the Bears are at the bottom? Or the ones where they throw in how many home grown players the Bears have vs other teams?

You're missing the point. That being, just because he's made "smart picks" doesn't necessarily mean they are. All they've done is do well in college. That doesn't always translate to long term success. See Gabe Carimi and Chris Williams for the projected 1st round talent to prove otherwise.

And to say we've always drafted poorly is a bit of a stretch. Especially when you still have 13 drafted players on the team, most of which WILL play next year and probably beyond.

I'm right there with you that this feels different (better). Im just not AS giddy as you.