Game 1 - Green Bay Game Thread

CrackerDog

Do you see anything good about the game? everything out of your mouth is TerrTor like. I expected bad and find some good, we're close, controlling the ball, running well.

the coaching staff at least looks like they know what they are doing. Unfortunately, we just don't have the personnel yet

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bears are running with the right formula, but it's not going to work when you are constantly playing from behind. Pack still put 31 on this team, despite the Bears dominating much of the time of possession early in this game.

Frustrating loss to start the year. Could have felt better if Cutler didn't throw that pick, but you see it's just never going to change.

Surprisingly competitive first half, very poor second half by the Bears.

Crazy to think the game could've been tied if we didn't have a turnover on downs on the 2 after 2nd and goal from the 2. That was the difference in the game to me.

Let's not forget GB is a Super Bowl contender, and the game was close. Either GB is not a SB contender or we are going to be better than a 5 win team.

GB got a lot of help from the refs, holds, delay of game no call, etc.

We need to get more pressure, and Fuller needs to get a lot better.

Crazy to think the game could've been tied if we didn't have a turnover on downs on the 2 after 2nd and goal from the 2. That was the difference in the game to me.

Let's not forget GB is a Super Bowl contender, and the game was close. Either GB is not a SB contender or we are going to be better than a 5 win team.

GB got a lot of help from the refs, holds, delay of game no call, etc.

We need to get more pressure, and Fuller needs to get a lot better.

I was impressed by the holes that the o-line was opening for Forte. He was really effective in short yardage thanks to that.

I think GB is still a SB contender and the bears won't be better than a 5 win team. They had an off day, but put Rodgers on any team, and I think they are a SB contender.

The Bears had the perfect gameplan that almost worked. The offense has to convert all of their redzone drives into touchdowns instead of 3 points. You can get away with it against bad and mediocre teams, but usually not against the best teams. I put fault in the offense there, but the reality is the defense is still absolutely god awful and held them back all day. If they could have gotten a few more stops, the Bears are playing from ahead, and Cutler isn't forced to throw the ball as much late in the 4th quarter, which means no INT.

I was impressed by the holes that the o-line was opening for Forte. He was really effective in short yardage thanks to that.

I think GB is still a SB contender and the bears won't be better than a 5 win team. They had an off day, but put Rodgers on any team, and I think they are a SB contender.

If they can't stop the run, they will not make it that far in the playoffs.

I can't be upset at this game. Jay made 1 mistake. That didn't cost us the game. We were down 8. It certainly didn't help and did put the nail in the coffin though. Jay played a good game overall. Several key drops by forte and others. Overall I'm impressed for the offense. Play calling was really good. The packers lined up to stop the run and they still couldn't do. 3rd down the offense was excellent. I can't be mad about the defense. We all knew it was going to suck. We simply don't have the talent there to compete but the team showed heart and competitiveness. Which we didn't see much of last yr. We aren't a playoff team. Everyone knows this. But if a team attempts to over look us we could surprise some

As far as one game goes-- Offense gets a thumbs up, defense gets a thumbs down. Pleasantly surprised with how well the Bears ran the ball despite seeing multiple 8 man fronts all game long. Really good scheming and execution by Adam Gase with the limited options he has. Defensively, the Bears got ZERO QB hits on Rodgers. Not a good first impression made by Fangio, but this team just doesn't have any talent.

They need to win next week or they will be facing an 0-3 start right off the bat.

Well said. I think Jared Allen is a liability.

The Bears had the perfect gameplan that almost worked. The offense has to convert all of their redzone drives into touchdowns instead of 3 points. You can get away with it against bad and mediocre teams, but usually not against the best teams. I put fault in the offense there, but the reality is the defense is still absolutely god awful and held them back all day. If they could have gotten a few more stops, the Bears are playing from ahead, and Cutler isn't forced to throw the ball as much late in the 4th quarter, which means no INT.

I hear ya. It's hard to be angry when there is simply no skill on D. Considering if this were last years' coaching staff...we'd have lost 53-10.

As far as one game goes-- Offense gets a thumbs up, defense gets a thumbs down. Pleasantly surprised with how well the Bears ran the ball despite seeing multiple 8 man fronts all game long. Really good scheming and execution by Adam Gase with the limited options he has. Defensively, the Bears got ZERO QB hits on Rodgers. Not a good first impression made by Fangio, but this team just doesn't have any talent.

They need to win next week or they will be facing an 0-3 start right off the bat.

Long story short, Rogers made a few incredible plays, two pin-point accurate passes that were virtually indefensible. Take away the fact that he's one of the top couple QBs in the NFL, and the Bears likely win that game.

It doesn't help when the Bears have a turnover on downs near the GL, and get nearly no pressure on the opposing QB.

Tough game and surprisingly competitive, far more competitive than I thought it was going to be.

IMO the defense was actually ok considering all the new pieces and scheme. Ok is not good, but it was not the disaster I've been watching the last two seasons. It's impossible to go from 31st to top 10 in week 1 so I'll accept that as progress and see if we move forward next week. The achilles heel though is the lack of pressure on passing downs. Jared Allen does not have the burst to get to the edge like he used to nor can he bend back in against an OT when he does get a little leverage. Maybe Willie Young can provide some of this edge pressure for us once he gets healthy. Goldman looked very good at times in the 2nd half and I think his presence really helped the run defense later in the game. CBs were in position on majority of plays there were just some great passes and some great catches by the Packers. There had to be a reason Rodgers tucked the ball down and ran so often (aside from the open lanes the Dline gave him) and it seemed he usually had to go to his 2nd or 3rd read. Next week agains the Cards will tell us a lot about which direction the D is headed.

Offense ran the ball early and often, and effectively. Clearly Forte is going to be the man inside the redone. Jeffrey looked like a man who hasn't run much in the past month. If he comes out the game healthy he should be getting after it in practice this week and I think we'll see a bit more burst against the Cards. I thought Cutler did a great job at the LOS reading the defense and getting into the right plays, protection. We consistently got the LOS with plenty of time to survey the field.

Cards lost Ellignton today with a PCL injury to his knee. OTOH we seem to be getting healthier as long as our WRs can practice this week.

Hard for me to praise the play calling too much when we have four plays inside the GB 6 in the 4th quarter and throw all four times. That's straight from the Trestman playbook.

Our CB play is not good. Ball and Fuller both got burned pretty consistently, although the lack of pass rush did not help. Aaron Donald going one pick before us last year and us taking Fuller is going to hurt for a long long time.

That int was a hell of a play by Matthews. No QB in the planet is expecting the LB from the other side of the field to be in position their. It was the 2nd incredible play Matthews made in the game...the other was the play in the red zone where he came from the other side to tackle Forte from behind (when it looked like Forte was going to walk into the end zone).

I would honestly rather have a young guy with potential to be on the roster next year having a chance...

Dude, I'm right there with you. He was terrible. Looked like me running around the tackle play after play, being made irrelevant each time. And I'm 50! He's a weak link but I guess we don't have a better option if you're assuming Fangio is a defensive genius.