Is the Kyle Long experiment over?

jason

I agree, park Long next to Grasu and fix the interior of the line. I'm tired of watching Omameh get moved around, and Grasu doesn't have the strength to hold up. An athletic and strong RG like Long can fix a lot of what's wrong inside.

What do you think about some of the FA RTs? Andre Smith (Bengals) could be a really good RT. I have no clue how well he's playing this season but he has the physical talent to excel but IIRC he's been a bit of a head case with regards to his conditioning. Mitchell Schwartz? He likely want to get out of the circus that is Cleveland and he won't cost a lot but he's also not a top tier RT.

I agree, park Long next to Grasu and fix the interior of the line. I'm tired of watching Omameh get moved around, and Grasu doesn't have the strength to hold up. An athletic and strong RG like Long can fix a lot of what's wrong inside.

What do you think about some of the FA RTs? Andre Smith (Bengals) could be a really good RT. I have no clue how well he's playing this season but he has the physical talent to excel but IIRC he's been a bit of a head case with regards to his conditioning. Mitchell Schwartz? He likely want to get out of the circus that is Cleveland and he won't cost a lot but he's also not a top tier RT.

I think they need to draft a OT in the top 3 rounds. Tunsil, Stanley or Conklin would make a nice addition. I would re-sign Montgomery again to push Grasu, who needs more strength and better technique.

RG-Best in the NFL?

RT-Above average?

Move him back in the middle and find the starting OT in the draft.

Not sure he's even above average there. I think it wasn't an experiment so much as a need that Kyle was willing to fill. Yes, move him back and draft or buy a RT. No question. I had reservations with the whole thing in the first place. Still think he's one helluva football player.

PS. It didn't help that the coaching staff never committed to this configuration during preseason and moved him without much real experience in the spot.

No thanks on those guys. I'd rather see the Bears go with an OT in the first round. And, guess what? We just happen to be in prime position to do that. I'd love to see Stanley with our #1 pick.

No thanks on those guys. I'd rather see the Bears go with an OT in the first round. And, guess what? We just happen to be in prime position to do that. I'd love to see Stanley with our #1 pick.

Check the latest mock draft I posted, you will like for sure!

I have watched very little of Long, the plays where he screws up I typically rewind and watch a couple times to see what happened. From the major mistakes I would think he needs to move back. I would love to know how he is grading out from the Coaches perspective.

I tend to agree...lets put him back to where he can be the best at his respective position and find a new tackle. Additionally, it definitely appears all the coaches were right on Grasu needing to get stronger. Hopefully he can do it and become effective cause right now he is brutal. Looks like a guy who doesn't belong on the NFL field.

I tend to agree...lets put him back to where he can be the best at his respective position and find a new tackle. Additionally, it definitely appears all the coaches were right on Grasu needing to get stronger. Hopefully he can do it and become effective cause right now he is brutal. Looks like a guy who doesn't belong on the NFL field.

Agree on Long could be a leader on the line for a long time as a stud RG with the option of moving him out to RT IF NEEDED. Grasau is getting valuable playing time. With the addition of RT and LT (God, what team doesn't need em?) via FA or draft, this OL could be set for many years. Grasp the possibilities!

Agree on Long could be a leader on the line for a long time as a stud RG with the option of moving him out to RT IF NEEDED. Grasau is getting valuable playing time. With the addition of RT and LT (God, what team doesn't need em?) via FA or draft, this OL could be set for many years. Grasp the possibilities!

Yep...I think the whooping Grasu is getting will be further validation to listen to the coaches and put in the work this off-season. Still, I hope he is able to show enough that the coaches see a guy who can be a starter with added strength.

SHOCKER!

Until the issue is fixed, and it hasn't been since I don't know when, the issue remains. The flaws remain. The holes remain. And the Bears will continue to have a mediocre offense that can't cach up with the rest of the NFL. THE "OL above all else"-theory has not been disproven.

1980 something. Although Wanny had some decent lines, IIRC.

Lovie had some solid lines (back when we signed Miller and had Ruben Brown, Kreutz, and Jonathan Tait). They got crappy later on but early in Lovie's tenure Angelo had been pretty succesful dumpster diving on some free agents (in addition to the big Tait signing).

Check the latest mock draft I posted, you will like for sure!

I have watched very little of Long, the plays where he screws up I typically rewind and watch a couple times to see what happened. From the major mistakes I would think he needs to move back. I would love to know how he is grading out from the Coaches perspective.

On Long, it can't be good, I saw a stat the other week that showed QB Pressures allowed, and Long was in the top 5.

1980 something. Although Wanny had some decent lines, IIRC.

Yeah, I think 2006 was the last time the Bears had a complete OL.

Tate - Brown - Kreutz - Garza - Miller

All above average and competitors. Kreutz was a leader and a monster. Garza was in his original position.

Surprise, surprise...the Bears were third in the NFL in offense that year (yes, I know Hester had something to do with it) and went to the Super Bowl.

I'll disagree on this. I'd get the best OT out there in free agency to give flexilbilty in the draft. I personally think pass rush is the number one deficiency on this team with OT being a close #2.

If your pass rusher is not there and a great OT prospect is; load up!

I'll disagree on this. I'd get the best OT out there in free agency to give flexilbilty in the draft. I personally think pass rush is the number one deficiency on this team with OT being a close #2.

If your pass rusher is not there and a great OT prospect is; load up!

Re-watching some of the recent games, ILB seems to be our absolute biggest weakness. At least the DLine was occupying a blocker, our ILB's played the Cover-0 most of the year (as in covering no one). RB and TE's have gashed us up the middle and Gabbert's long run was a low light.

However, I don't think you have to draft in order of need level. You have to take the best available in a need area, so we could essentially go OL, DL, LB, CB, or S in the first round and it will fill a need.

Re-watching some of the recent games, ILB seems to be our absolute biggest weakness. At least the DLine was occupying a blocker, our ILB's played the Cover-0 most of the year (as in covering no one). RB and TE's have gashed us up the middle and Gabbert's long run was a low light.

However, I don't think you have to draft in order of need level. You have to take the best available in a need area, so we could essentially go OL, DL, LB, CB, or S in the first round and it will fill a need.

A serviceable, experienced ILB is not near the premium of a pass rusher or OT. He can be on the team before the draft easily.