Slauson released

adam

I like when teams cut veterans this way because it makes no sense to have them at OTAs, mini camps etc., if you don't project them to your roster and that gives them a chance to look at younger players at those positions.They did exactly the same thing with Forte and he still found a way to be offended.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like when teams cut veterans this way because it makes no sense to have them at OTAs, mini camps etc., if you don't project them to your roster and that gives them a chance to look at younger players at those positions.They did exactly the same thing with Forte and he still found a way to be offended.

We all like to hang on to likable players but this shit just happens. With everybody they have gotten rid of, I got it, this one not so much.

Very surprised to see Slauson cut at this point. Rolle I expected would go sooner or later but Slauson I expected to at least compete for a roster spot. It feels like there is something in the works but it's impossible to know what.

Man. I hope this doesn't come back to bite them in the ass. Smells a little of the ridding of BM last year. Although yes I know different players, personalities and circumstances; still may be premature.

To me, when they are releasing guys like Slauson (w/ some dead money), it is only part of the move, otherwise there would be no reason to do it now.

I'm kinda wondering if it has to do with Slauson not being overly athletic. Whitehair isn't Kyle Long, but he's athletic nevertheless.

That along with health concerns were part of the reason (as least what is flying across Twitter).

Am I surprised? Yes.

Do I like it? Not really, because I think he was still pretty good.

Am I upset? Nope. I can't believe anyone is, to be quite honest. If they can cut ties with a franchise workhorse RB with almost injury history, surely they can do the same to an FA OG with an injury.

Looks like the OL is Leno-Whitehair-Grasu-Long-Massie now.

Pace has virtually completely re-built both lines in 2 seasons.

Am I surprised? Yes.

Am I upset? Nope. I can't believe anyone is, to be quite honest. If they can cut ties with a franchise workhorse RB with almost injury history, surely they can do the same to an FA OG with an injury.

One thing this bodes well for is that Grasu is likely doing well in the offseason gaining strength. Even with the rumored health concerns having Slauson as a backup and for competition in camp would have made more sense if they were concerned with Grasu.

The one thing I'll say is that the Bears have been vindicated (though not publically) for pretty much every player they have let go because of concerns that the player would not be able to perform at a high level at a certain age. Briggs, Urlacher, Garza, and Kreutz were all leaders that the Bears "disrespected" and we were told that the Bears would regret it, and none of those guys did anything with another team. Tillman gets a bit of an incomplete, as he was OK this year before getting hurt, and we'll see on Forte, but the Bears track record here is pretty good.

Am I surprised? Yes.

I think the opening day line-up could be Leno-Larson-Ramirez-Long-Massie.

I'm still anxious for us to sign that elusive swing tackle.

Perhaps having a core Oline (G/C/G) that is strong may be a way of the future. With the emphasis more on quick releases from the QB and more up the middle running why have top notch prospects at the tackle position? Hell if J'Marcus is still playing then perhaps there is something to it?

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/30/nfl-offensiv...-position-value

The one thing I'll say is that the Bears have been vindicated (though not publically) for pretty much every player they have let go because of concerns that the player would not be able to perform at a high level at a certain age. Briggs, Urlacher, Garza, and Kreutz were all leaders that the Bears "disrespected" and we were told that the Bears would regret it, and none of those guys did anything with another team. Tillman gets a bit of an incomplete, as he was OK this year before getting hurt, and we'll see on Forte, but the Bears track record here is pretty good.

While nobody signed Urlacher, make no mistake, the team suffered. They were noticeably worse on D the next year, and obviously lacked leadership. His last year they were a damn good defense, and the year after they were one of the worst in the NFL.

While nobody signed Urlacher, make no mistake, the team suffered. They were noticeably worse on D the next year, and obviously lacked leadership. His last year they were a damn good defense, and the year after they were one of the worst in the NFL.

After Brian left , everything feel apart, you cant use him as the reason for turning into a terrible defense. Many contributed to the down hill slide.

After Brian left , everything feel apart, you cant use him as the reason for turning into a terrible defense. Many contributed to the down hill slide.

One would argue (me) that a lot of why our defense fell apart was due to Lovie getting fired and dipshit Emery bringing in an offensive minded head coach who in turn hired an inept coordinator in Tucker. The release of Urlacher did not help the situation. Emery had the air of being the smartest guy in the room (or so he thought) and essentially dismantled the team from then.

I would further suggest that a lot of the players listed previous who were unceremoniously released were done so during different regimes. I would agree with Jason that Urlacher's release was one of the biggest mistakes made by the team. Fortunately it wasn't during our current management group.

One would argue (me) that a lot of why our defense fell apart was due to Lovie getting fired and dipshit Emery bringing in an offensive minded head coach who in turn hired an inept coordinator in Tucker. The release of Urlacher did not help the situation. Emery had the air of being the smartest guy in the room (or so he thought) and essentially dismantled the team from then.

I would further suggest that a lot of the players listed previous who were unceremoniously released were done so during different regimes. I would agree with Jason that Urlacher's release was one of the biggest mistakes made by the team. Fortunately it wasn't during our current management group.

To be fair to Trestman, Emery hired Mel Tucker and the special teams coordinator on his own.