What this pick says

fudgeripple2000

It seems to me that by picking Trubisky with this pic that Pace is not worried about his job. This seems more like an NBA draft pick in NFL draft pick. Picking on potential. And if a general manager is willing to pick a guy this high and sacrifice so many pics for a guy that is very likely not gonna play next year, then he has little fear of losing his job next year.

It seems to me that by picking Trubisky with this pic that Pace is not worried about his job. This seems more like an NBA draft pick in NFL draft pick. Picking on potential. And if a general manager is willing to pick a guy this high and sacrifice so many pics for a guy that is very likely not gonna play next year, then he has little fear of losing his job next year.

Again if you think about it, we gave up #3, 2x 3rd's and a 4th for Trubisky. Are you telling me we couldn't get Garappolo for that price and then not sign Glennon?

It is almost like we thought Cleveland was taking Trubisky at #1 and when he didn't go, we over-reacted and overpaid to move up one slot. Think of SF, if they don't trade with us, they don't get Thomas, he would not last past #3. So we actually had as much leverage as SF did. So if they traded with anyone else (that wanted Trubisky), they would not have been able to draft Thomas. So we should not have had to give up what we did to draft Trubisky.

Again if you think about it, we gave up #3, 2x 3rd's and a 4th for Trubisky. Are you telling me we couldn't get Garappolo for that price and then not sign Glennon?

It is almost like we thought Cleveland was taking Trubisky at #1 and when he didn't go, we over-reacted and overpaid to move up one slot. Think of SF, if they don't trade with us, they don't get Thomas, he would not last past #3. So we actually had as much leverage as SF did. So if they traded with anyone else (that wanted Trubisky), they would not have been able to draft Thomas. So we should not have had to give up what we did to draft Trubisky.

Deep thoughts like that must evade Pace. Before this year's trade I wasn't sort of on the fence about him, now I don't think he is very good at being a GM.

That's bullshit. Do you honestly think they didn't have this scenario planned?

Garapollo was not available, if so the deals made by Hou and KC would be almost more enticing. No one got him. I agree it sucks losing picks, but we got the guy Pace wanted and now we can see how it works. Could be great

That's bullshit. Do you honestly think they didn't have this scenario planned?

Based on the fact that they didn't even call him when he was selected, yes.

We didn't leapfrog someone like we did last year. We swapped picks, there is no way you give up that to swap picks. If you have that prepared, you must know what other teams are offering, which there is no way to know.

I think Pace has been told that he is going to get his time to build things his way. McCaskey has publicly stated that he believes in the plan and they clearly signed off on the move the Bears made. Ultimately, they got the guy they want and it is going to take time to develop him...but if they hit on him, he changes the franchise. We are still a couple years away and by making this pick, we pretty much assured that fact and Pace isn't doing that type of move without feeling very comfortable with where he stands with ownership.

I didn't like trading up, cause I didn't think we needed to, but none of us know, and if our scouts and GM graded him out as a franchise QB, you don't get cute...you execute and get the guy you believe in.

Oddly enough, if you think about the guy a lot of posters wanted (Jonathan Allen), he went after 3 QB's and was taken pretty far from our pick. So if you think of value, if we drafted Allen...we would have taken him ~15 spots ahead of the next team that took him. Not that it doesn't mean Allen doesn't become a good football player, just that the rest of the league didn't think he has the athleticism to be a special player.

Garapollo was not available, if so the deals made by Hou and KC would be almost more enticing. No one got him. I agree it sucks losing picks, but we got the guy Pace wanted and now we can see how it works. Could be great

I hate sounding like I hate the pick, because I don't mind Trubisky, and I understand, you have to do whatever it takes to get your guy. So as the #2 pick, he better be our guy, because we even have to pay him more than if we picked him at #3.

This is essentially an all-in move. Trubisky excels and becomes a franchise QB and Pace is a genius with huge balls and Lynch looks like an idiot for not selecting Trubisky - or Trubisky is a bust, Pace is fired, and Lynch looks like the genius fleecing Pace.

What if we drafted Jonathan Allen? We would have taken him 15 spots ahead of the rest of the league?

You would never have known that he fell that far, and I don't think anyone would've questioned us if we picked Allen at #3. Also, we would still have a 3rd, 4th and a 3rd next year.

If we are bad again this year, that 3rd is a high pick.

You would never have known that he fell that far, and I don't think anyone would've questioned us if we picked Allen at #3. Also, we would still have a 3rd, 4th and a 3rd next year.

If we are bad again this year, that 3rd is a high pick.

I'm just saying...for those that say we got hosed by trading those picks to 2, I'd say we would have been fools if we took a guy @ 3 who went would have went 15 spots later. He fell for a reason. He isn't an athlete. I'd rather take a chance on a QB who could change the franchise then on an unathletic Dlineman (who will not be a difference maker). He will be solid...nothing more.

Of course, I was one of the most pro QB posters on this board and very anti Allen.

I'm thinking we traded up not in fear that SF would take him, but another team was calling when we were... Seemed costly. But, if he's our franchise guy...then it's all worth it.

All that, welcome to the Bears Trubisky! Now work your ass off!

I think Pace has been told that he is going to get his time to build things his way. McCaskey has publicly stated that he believes in the plan and they clearly signed off on the move the Bears made. Ultimately, they got the guy they want and it is going to take time to develop him...but if they hit on him, he changes the franchise. We are still a couple years away and by making this pick, we pretty much assured that fact and Pace isn't doing that type of move without feeling very comfortable with where he stands with ownership.

I didn't like trading up, cause I didn't think we needed to, but none of us know, and if our scouts and GM graded him out as a franchise QB, you don't get cute...you execute and get the guy you believe in.

Oddly enough, if you think about the guy a lot of posters wanted (Jonathan Allen), he went after 3 QB's and was taken pretty far from our pick. So if you think of value, if we drafted Allen...we would have taken him ~15 spots ahead of the next team that took him. Not that it doesn't mean Allen doesn't become a good football player, just that the rest of the league didn't think he has the athleticism to be a special player.

I'm just saying...for those that say we got hosed by trading those picks to 2, I'd say we would have been fools if we took a guy @ 3 who went would have went 15 spots later. He fell for a reason. He isn't an athlete. I'd rather take a chance on a QB who could change the franchise then on an unathletic Dlineman (who will not be a difference maker). He will be solid...nothing more.

Of course, I was one of the most pro QB posters on this board and very anti Allen.

I think it was the shock of it and it was completely unexpected. I don't remember a single mock with us drafting Trubisky. So as the time passes and I see what others paid (multiple firsts) it is not as bad as it initially looked, but it has to work.

I'm thinking we traded up not in fear that SF would take him, but another team was calling when we were... Seemed costly. But, if he's our franchise guy...then it's all worth it.

All that, welcome to the Bears Trubisky! Now work your ass off!

Yeah, the move makes it a complete boom or bust. If we just drafted him at #3, it would seem less polarizing. Now, with a move and 3 draft picks lost, it has to work or Pace is gone.

I am good with it, hopefully he lives up to the hype and becomes our franchise QB for the next 15 years.

This is essentially an all-in move. Trubisky excels and becomes a franchise QB and Pace is a genius with huge balls and Lynch looks like an idiot for not selecting Trubisky - or Trubisky is a bust, Pace is fired, and Lynch looks like the genius fleecing Pace.

This is how everyone will see it, but the truth is probably more like if you see a guy who has a 40% chance to be a Franchise QB, is he worth your first round pick, a 3rd and a 4th and a future 3rd? I think the answer is yes. You dont ever get a franchise QB unless you take a shot at some, and I think we paid the appropriate price for a shot at one.

People will write that Pace had to KNOW, but in truth, he doesnt KNOW, no one can, he's making a gamble, and if he tries enough times, one of them will end up hitting, and then you have a franchise QB.

If there was a a GM who could predict the future wed know it, so no matter what the sportwriters say, what you have is Pace making the right bet on a pair of jacks. If he makes the right bets enough times, we will have a good team. But he didnt give up any future #1s, he didnt even spend a #2. THis was a good bet, and has a decent chance of paying off. The rest of this boom bust stuff whether Pace or Lynch KNEW is just for the papers. It's not real.

Have to say I agree with this rationale. And that I'm with you on a QB pick. Just not sure this was the right way to do it.

After posting what David Kaplan said on the radio today about Lynch and Thomas being classmates on a project together at Stanford, I would think Pace should know that also! I guess not.

After posting what David Kaplan said on the radio today about Lynch and Thomas being classmates on a project together at Stanford, I would think Pace should know that also! I guess not.

OK but the idea is that other teams were offering trades to SF, not that SF was going to take Trubisky.

OK but the idea is that other teams were offering trades to SF, not that SF was going to take Trubisky.

He's got balls.

Lets look at this scenario:

We draft Quincy Wilson/CB. He starts by the 4th game.

We draft Justin Evans and he starts day 1 at SS.

D. Hall shifts to FS and is starting by the 8th game.

White stays healthy and gets over 1000 yards receiving.

Dan Brown takes over the move TE and between him and Sims have 75 receptions between them

Floyd has 13 sacks and McPhee has 10.

Howard stays a stud .

Glennon has 28 tds over 3500 yeaeds with 10 ints.

We finish 8 and 8.

Is anybody stilk going to complain about Tribisky?

What if we drafted Jonathan Allen? We would have taken him 15 spots ahead of the rest of the league?

Sorry, but that doesn't fly. You're comparing past and unknown future. When a team like the Bears does the completely unexpected, it throws the entire draft out of whack. It's like a guy in your fantasy draft who picks up a kicker in the 2nd round. Once that happens, the players thought unavailable are now there, and the dominoes fall. You can absolutely never know what would have happened if the picks fell a different way.

He's got balls.

Lets look at this scenario:

We draft Quincy Wilson/CB. He starts by the 4th game.

We draft Justin Evans and he starts day 1 at SS.

D. Hall shifts to FS and is starting by the 8th game.

White stays healthy and gets over 1000 yards receiving.

Dan Brown takes over the move TE and between him and Sims have 75 receptions between them

Floyd has 13 sacks and McPhee has 10.

Howard stays a stud .

Glennon has 28 tds over 3500 yards with 10 ints.

We finish 8 and 8.

Is anybody still going to complain about Tribisky?

I don't understand what you're getting at.

Of course there will still be complaints.

If Glennon goes for 3500/28/10 that means Trubisky was an unnecessary pick, and a horrible trade. It will mean the Bears were 8-8 because somewhere and someone else on the team sucked. And that person who sucked likely would have been ousted by a rookie first round pick like Jamal Adams, Jonathan Allen, or Malik Hooker. That's an 8-8 team that could have been better if not for the one missing piece. And you go into 2018 with...

1. A worse pick than you would likely have had with a rookie QB

2. A worse situation with a QB controversy

3. Still the missing piece(s) that caused the team to be 8-8 instead of being better despite all the stats listed above

I don't understand what you're getting at.

Of course there will still be complaints.

If Glennon goes for 3500/28/10 that means Trubisky was an unnecessary pick, and a horrible trade. It will mean the Bears were 8-8 because somewhere and someone else on the team sucked. And that person who sucked likely would have been ousted by a rookie first round pick like Jamal Adams, Jonathan Allen, or Malik Hooker. That's an 8-8 team that could have been better if not for the one missing piece. And you go into 2018 with...

1. A worse pick than you would likely have had with a rookie QB

2. A worse situation with a QB controversy

3. Still the missing piece(s) that caused the team to be 8-8 instead of being better despite all the stats listed above

Well the only saving grace is if this actually makes us worse, our first and second rounders will be better next year (lol).

Sorry, but that doesn't fly. You're comparing past and unknown future. When a team like the Bears does the completely unexpected, it throws the entire draft out of whack. It's like a guy in your fantasy draft who picks up a kicker in the 2nd round. Once that happens, the players thought unavailable are now there, and the dominoes fall. You can absolutely never know what would have happened if the picks fell a different way.

Trubisky going #2 is not unexpected and many thought it was going to be Cleveland that traded up for him. Allen held a "pink" or "red" medical flag which is why he dropped, same as Hooker, teams tend to stay away from players with a flag even if it was "pink" which means they are ok with the issue.

Pace knew what the going price was to trade up, he was taking the same calls that SF were receiving. He got a QB that was rated higher that Watson/Mahomes and didn't give up a future 1st like the other teams gave up. I was impressed that Trubisky and his agent played along with Pace on telling the media they never met with the Bears

Trubisky going #2 is not unexpected and many thought it was going to be Cleveland that traded up for him. Allen held a "pink" or "red" medical flag which is why he dropped, same as Hooker, teams tend to stay away from players with a flag even if it was "pink" which means they are ok with the issue.

Pace knew what the going price was to trade up, he was taking the same calls that SF were receiving. He got a QB that was rated higher that Watson/Mahomes and didn't give up a future 1st like the other teams gave up. I was impressed that Trubisky and his agent played along with Pace on telling the media they never met with the Bears

Cleveland would have had to give up their entire 2017 NFL draft to move from 12 to 2. Sorry, that just doesn't work.

This has every indication that Pace rushed the move, offered too much based on what other teams could offer, and hindered the 2017 progress of the team as a result.

All this says is that staff felt he was "the guy". Ive read here that Pace may have tried to make moves on Marritoa and Wentz the past two drafts, Pace made his decision that he was the QB he wanted and he didn't let anything get in his way. Lets hope the 3rd times a charm.

ds