QB Comparison

adam

I saw a discussion on Twitter that said Wentz only had 6 more completions than Trubisky in college, which I was surprised to hear. So I looked up their numbers:

Wentz - 392-612, 64.1, 5115 yds, 8.4 Y/A, 45 TD, 14 INT

Trubisky - 386-572, 67.5, 4762 yds, 8.3 Y/A, 41 TD, 10 INT

So the whole lack of experience thing with Trubisky is sort of bogus. Also, I cannot believe Philly didn't get more crap for trading up for Wentz. He was an FCS QB who only played in 7 games and was a 5th year Senior.

How the hell was this guy even a top rated QB?

When I look back at old articles, they don't even mention he was a small school QB who was hurt and missed 8 games? So Trubisky has 6 less completions than Wentz, with a better Comp% and TD/INT Ratio against tougher competition, plays the entire year prior to being drafted, and is somehow a worse pick?

I saw a discussion on Twitter that said Wentz only had 6 more completions than Trubisky in college, which I was surprised to hear. So I looked up their numbers:

So the whole lack of experience thing with Trubisky is sort of bogus. Also, I cannot believe Philly didn't get more crap for trading up for Wentz. He was an FCS QB who only played in 7 games and was a 5th year Senior.

When I look back at old articles, they don't even mention he was a small school QB who was hurt and missed 8 games? So Trubisky has 6 less completions than Wentz, with a better Comp% and TD/INT Ratio against tougher competition, plays the entire year prior to being drafted, and is somehow a worse pick?

Outstanding post, great info.

I did not realize this, amazing.

Excellent​ find I never even realized that myself

I've been saying that for some time. Philly gave up much more than we did to get that QB after spending big money in FA. Wentz was originally considered a 2nd Rd pick and he flew up the draft boards after the combine, usually that's a concern. I scanned back through the posts during the run up to this draft and see where Alaska Grizzly was supportive of the Wentz deal even though he had similar numbers as Trubisky against lesser competition. What changed?

I really like a lot of what Trubisky brings to the field. I look forward to seeing him play here in Arizona during the preseason.

Good job, I think when he was taking private workouts , he shot up draft boards on potential.Maybe if we lived in Philly we would have heard more negative responses to the acquisition. I think Pace has gotten more heat because of the unexpected trade up, the rest of the draft choices, and its Chicago.

Excellent sleuthing!

I've been saying that for some time. Philly gave up much more than we did to get that QB after spending big money in FA. Wentz was originally considered a 2nd Rd pick and he flew up the draft boards after the combine, usually that's a concern. I scanned back through the posts during the run up to this draft and see where Alaska Grizzly was supportive of the Wentz deal even though he had similar numbers as Trubisky against lesser competition. What changed?

I really like a lot of what Trubisky brings to the field. I look forward to seeing him play here in Arizona during the preseason.

I was going to stay out of this string so as to avoid hurting anyone's feelings of my "negativity" and the general good vibes you guys were sharing but then I saw this... (bolded)

Before I go into what it was I said a year ago and how I don't see this as similar, I'd like to see what I actually wrote...so as to get a good context on the conversation. I tried searching and can't find it.

Outstanding post, great info.

I did not realize this, amazing.

Philly actually got ripped a lot during last year's post draft grades while the Rams were consistently praised. I saw Eagles getting D grades vs. Rams A- grades. Fastforward a year and those grades would be largely inversed. Wentz is no guarantee, but you can project him to be a good player. Cardinals didn't get ripped for the move they made (Chiefs have gotten a little bit of it). I think part of why Bears are getting ripped is no one thought we were taking a QB. Reality is if we took Allen 15 spots before everyone else, that would have been a mega overdraft.

I was going to stay out of this string so as to avoid hurting anyone's feelings of my "negativity" and the general good vibes you guys were sharing but then I saw this... (bolded)

Before I go into what it was I said a year ago and how I don't see this as similar, I'd like to see what I actually wrote...so as to get a good context on the conversation. I tried searching and can't find it.

I actually was doing a search last night for my posts regarding Wentz and of course couldn't find the one I was looking for. I did see a comment from you regarding this but it wasn't last year. I'm just pointing out how quickly things change, even among our own perspectives.

Posted on: Feb 18 2017, 09:14 PM

Key back up

Group: Super Fans

Member No.: 2,639

One thing to consider is that neither Wentz or Prescott were rated very high going this late into the offseason last year. Yet Prescott proved he was probably rated higher than the 4th round he was picked in. And although not earth shattering, Wentz looked legit as the #2 overall. Just goes to show that you might not be able to nail down where these guys rate overall.

For the record, I'm still a Watson guy. He's got more to offer than just field performance. Intangibles I believe they call 'em.

If I dig further on your comments regarding Wentz here is your thoughts about mining a good player from D2:

Posted on: Sep 12 2016, 06:01 PM

To be honest, it looks like Connor Shaw might be worth holding onto and seeing what he could offer. Kid looked pretty solid in the preseason. After relative no-names Wentz and Goff go 1-2 this year I'm fairly confident our team can mine a good player maybe even from D2. And don't get me started on our passing on Dak Prescott. (Scarily, this is something it sounds like Jason and I oddly agree on).

I actually was doing a search last night for my posts regarding Wentz and of course couldn't find the one I was looking for. I did see a comment from you regarding this but it wasn't last year. I'm just pointing out how quickly things change, even among our own perspectives.

"One thing to consider is that neither Wentz or Prescott were rated very high going this late into the offseason last year. Yet Prescott proved he was probably rated higher than the 4th round he was picked in. And although not earth shattering, Wentz looked legit as the #2 overall. Just goes to show that you might not be able to nail down where these guys rate overall.

For the record, I'm still a Watson guy. He's got more to offer than just field performance. Intangibles I believe they call 'em."

In this sense, I would have been making the comparison after each has played in the NFL. I would be more interested to see what I had to say before Wentz was drafted. No doubt based on his performance last year Wentz proved himself worthy as the starter, thus legitimizing (to me) his pick at 2. Who knows, maybe this time next year I'll be saying the same about Trubisky? I'm skeptical but it could happen.

If I dig further on your comments regarding Wentz here is your thoughts about mining a good player from D2:

Posted on: Sep 12 2016, 06:01 PM

To be honest, it looks like Connor Shaw might be worth holding onto and seeing what he could offer. Kid looked pretty solid in the preseason. After relative no-names Wentz and Goff go 1-2 this year I'm fairly confident our team can mine a good player maybe even from D2. And don't get me started on our passing on Dak Prescott. (Scarily, this is something it sounds like Jason and I oddly agree on).

Again, I would assume that if we were to mine that player (QB in this case) it would not have been in the first round necessarily. And not 3 of our 5 total draft picks. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of getting D2 players; if you have done your homework and due diligence. Just not all of them.

I should point out that I qualified the earlier post by saying I was more a fan of Watson's. Who was not a small school candidate; but in my mind much more legitimately a top of the draft pick at QB than was Trubisky. But as Stinger so eloquently pointed out, Pace forgot to ask me.

Strangely enough, I would have been ok (or better) with Watson or even Trubisky at 3. That way I wouldn't have been as discouraged by the loss of picks.

Again, I would assume that if we were to mine that player (QB in this case) it would not have been in the first round necessarily. And not 3 of our 5 total draft picks. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of getting D2 players; if you have done your homework and due diligence. Just not all of them.

I should point out that I qualified the earlier post by saying I was more a fan of Watson's. Who was not a small school candidate; but in my mind much more legitimately a top of the draft pick at QB than was Trubisky. But as Stinger so eloquently pointed out, Pace forgot to ask me.

Strangely enough, I would have been ok (or better) with Watson or even Trubisky at 3. That way I wouldn't have been as discouraged by the loss of picks.

This is going to be fun, or not, for one of us. I'll take Trubisky, you take Watson. BTW, I like them both. When I made my unabashedly hate comment, it was a dig for a situation like this. You were against Trubisky so any failure or success of his will come to light with ties to Watson. Let's play...

How do you state this is similar when we just drafted Tribusky and your comment was from a year ago.It is not that you are hurting any feeling it is just your negative attitude is just annoying and its a never ending story for you.

Thanks guys, I just post what I look up, sometimes interesting, sometimes not.

I was surprised at how close their numbers were and then realizing Wentz was hurt and was a 5th year senior of an FCS school to boot. So even if some gave Philly some flack, it was justified but I don't see why the Bears or Trubisky should receive the same treatment.

If you also look at the trade value charts, we actually "won" the trade and didn't have to give up any extra pick better than a 3rd. Even though KC and HOU moved up more slots, they both lost their trades and gave up extra 1st's.

I was surprised at how close their numbers were and then realizing Wentz was hurt and was a 5th year senior of an FCS school to boot. So even if some gave Philly some flack, it was justified but I don't see or Trubisky should receive the same treatment.

If you also look at the trade value charts, we actually "won" the trade and didn't have to give up any extra pick better than a 3rd. Even though KC and HOU moved up more slots, they both lost their trades and gave up extra 1st's.

I will admit that when it flash the pick was traded and the CHI showed up on the clock, I was shocked. Everyone I was watching with were the same way. I said at that time it has to be for Trubisky. Once the shock hit the world, it created a tsunami of speculation with questions or theorys.

This will be the 2nd best gift the University of North Carolina gives to Chicago. MJ and MT!

I was surprised at how close their numbers were and then realizing Wentz was hurt and was a 5th year senior of an FCS school to boot. So even if some gave Philly some flack, it was justified but I don't see why the Bears or Trubisky should receive the same treatment.

I agree with your assessment. Although, actuallly, I think we slightly lost the trade. But it was close. I'm shocked at what a big deal this has become. You'd think we'd have given up next year's first rounder on top of everything else.

While I kind of hate it, I'm okay with the fact we are going to be bad next year. I'm guessing next year we will go all in on free agency. Not just a bunch of puny ass one year deals.

How do you state this is similar when we just drafted Tribusky and your comment was from a year ago.It is not that you are hurting any feeling it is just your negative attitude is just annoying and its a never ending story for you.

No, you mistake negativity with a difference of opinion.

This is going to be fun, or not, for one of us. I'll take Trubisky, you take Watson. BTW, I like them both. When I made my unabashedly hate comment, it was a dig for a situation like this. You were against Trubisky so any failure or success of his will come to light with ties to Watson. Let's play...

*edit* Upon further review; would rather not 'bet' against the team. I'm pulling for Trubisky. Still don't understand your "unabashed" comment, but c'est la vie.

*edit* Upon further review; would rather not 'bet' against the team. I'm pulling for Trubisky. Still don't understand your "unabashed" comment, but c'est la vie.

Nothing but fun poking at you. Kinda like Cutler. Don't read too deep into it. Simply stating that if Watson is successful and Trubisky is not, we'll here from you. A lot...