Glennon: 'Right now this is my team'

adam

But not long after they traded up one spot to choose North Carolina's Mitch Trubisky with the No. 2 overall pick, Glennon received an assurance via a phone call from general manager Ryan Pace that he remained the team's quarterback of the present.

"I think just like everyone here, I was surprised," Glennon told reporters Tuesday in his first media session since the draft. "That's the bottom line. But it was made clear to me about 10 minutes after from a call from Ryan and the next morning again the 2017 season is my year.

"That's all I can worry about. I'm not worried about the future. I'm not worried about the past. I'm worried about the present and right now this is my team and that's where my focus is."

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1...80-4c02c2055a19

A few things to note. The notion that Glennon was not called or notified at all is now completely debunked. He was called 10 minutes after the pick and the next morning. So this also ties back into the secrecy scenario and the need to keep things quiet. Glennon was at the Bears draft party, so why would they invite him, then draft a QB in the 1st......

I am glad Glennon is taking all this in stride, or at least saying the right things. I am actually hoping he has a great year, which will ultimately benefit us in some way shape or form.

Agreed.

Continue to build up the OL, the secondary, etc... Then it's an optimal situation with some similarity to how Dak walked into his.

Glennon having a great year will only benefit the team. Personally, I would not mind Trubisky sitting two years if possible. I simply do not want to rush him.

Peace :dabears

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1...80-4c02c2055a19

A few things to note. The notion that Glennon was not called or notified at all is now completely debunked. He was called 10 minutes after the pick and the next morning. So this also ties back into the secrecy scenario and the need to keep things quiet. Glennon was at the Bears draft party, so why would they invite him, then draft a QB in the 1st......

I am glad Glennon is taking all this in stride, or at least saying the right things. I am actually hoping he has a great year, which will ultimately benefit us in some way shape or form.

I am glad Glennon chose the high road. That should benefit him looking long term. One thought in the back of my mind, when Trubisky finally takes the reins, do the Bears keep Glennon as a back up? Glennon will still make around 15 million a year in 2018, 2019. Trubisky will make about 7.2 million. Is 22-23 million too much to allocate for 3 years? Without looking at cap numbers with future contracts expiring, it may be feasible to have two capable QBs. If the Bears can establish this thought of holding onto Glennon throughout the league, it would put a higher value for potential trade suitors if another team needing a QB considers Glennon. If they figure he will get cut, it eliminates any value.

Except for Goff last year. Best I can tell no other QB drafted one or two since 1971?, did not start day one? Yea, he was left hanging at that draft party. But I'm a little disappointed he took the "they said it's my team for this year?". Tell me you welcome the chance to truly compete for a starting job! Not gee. it's my team this year.

And as far as the coaching goes, what if Mitchel has a great camp etc. Gee, its's not my team this year.

I hate the concept of Trubisky sitting for two years. Hate it.

I also don't think it's a 100% positive if Glennon does well. There is the possibility of him doing well enough that he makes the team competitive, but not enough, and the Bears have a QB controversy the following year. There is also the possibility of him doing extremely well, and having minimal trade market because teams will know the Bears will want to start Trubisky.

Sadly this is about the only thing reporters could talk about coming out of the OTAs. With over 90 players out there you might think someone saw something or someone else catch their eye besides Glennon throwing a football and knocking over garbage cans. Unfortunately I don't see the mindless media types moving off their QB controversy story anytime soon. Is Eddie Goldman moving around well? Is Bullard bigger and stronger? Where does Grasu fit in? If he's only taking snaps at OC that's a problem for his future here.

I agree that I'd rather hear Glennon say he just wants to compete for the job. He has a huge advantage over Trubisky with his years in the league and the 2 or 3 months head start on the playbook.

I don't think Glennon will turn into anything beyond just a decent QB. If he lights it up and is a top 10 QB this year then I'm not worried about Trubisky at all. He can sit on the bench in 2018 and watch Glennon go through his "prove it" year. People will talk about the lost value but whenever or however you find a top 10 starting QB it just doesn't matter. Either of Trubisky or Glennon is likely leaving the team in 2019 (or in Trubisky's case 2020) and we'll get some change back from all we invested in QBs this year, which will lower the net cost.

I hate the concept of Trubisky sitting for two years. Hate it.

I also don't think it's a 100% positive if Glennon does well. There is the possibility of him doing well enough that he makes the team competitive, but not enough, and the Bears have a QB controversy the following year. There is also the possibility of him doing extremely well, and having minimal trade market because teams will know the Bears will want to start Trubisky.

If he has one good year, I can see getting the same kind of attention Jimmy G got just do to the dire straits of teams needing QBs.

If he has one good year, I can see getting the same kind of attention Jimmy G got just do to the dire straits of teams needing QBs.

We hit the jackpot if Glennon has an above average year. Teams will be knocking on our door to give us a great draft pick for a guy that cost 18mil for one season and exceeded expectations. That's a win win.

What do we have to lose if he sucks? 18mil, but we get a great draft slot again. Welcome Mr Trubisky...

Except for Goff last year. Best I can tell no other QB drafted one or two since 1971?, did not start day one? Yea, he was left hanging at that draft party. But I'm a little disappointed he took the "they said it's my team for this year?". Tell me you welcome the chance to truly compete for a starting job! Not gee. it's my team this year.

And as far as the coaching goes, what if Mitchel has a great camp etc. Gee, its's not my team this year.

Eli Manning didn't. Kurt Warner was the starter day 1.

We hit the jackpot if Glennon has an above average year. Teams will be knocking on our door to give us a great draft pick for a guy that cost 18mil for one season and exceeded expectations. That's a win win.

What do we have to lose if he sucks? 18mil, but we get a great draft slot again. Welcome Mr Trubisky...

I really hope that happens. That's the best possible outcome. Adding another high draft pick would be great.

I believe that Trubisky will get starts next year and I hope for a scenario similar to what happened for the Eagles and Glennon getting traded for a 1st rounder. I've watched this sport for too many years to believe a guy you had this much conviction in, you feel he can't be ready? That doesn't make sense to me. They went up 1 pick and used 3 picks as well as a cloak of secrecy so much so that even the guy picked had no clue you were going to pick him and there are strong indications even the coach may not have known until it happened and we should believe that, he won't be ready to start this season? I'm not buying that. Just like Glennon is saying the right things so is Pace and Fox( Who never is straight forward with answers). Glennon indicating that he will be a good teammate to Trubisky is a no choice situation for him with this guy being the number 2 pick in the draft and he actually worked with the offensive staff before Glennon did.What else are you supposed to say Steve DeBerg 2017?