Bears vs. Packers Game Thread

AZ54

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how creative we can be on offense when our best WR has been with the team 2 weeks. I'm surprised to say that about Inman but it's clear how much of a difference he made today. To get him on the field they had to stick with a fairly small set of plays. For the first time I think Trubisky sees what it is like to play with a WR who can consistently get open against man coverage. I'm not saying Inman is a great WR, but he's at least an NFL WR.

We really miss Trevathan on defense. There is no doubt he is the QB of this defense and without him on the field Jones falls back into his usual mental lapses. Fortunately he'll be back soon. I feel the same with Long on the Oline. The Oline shuffle just didn't work well for the running game today.

Despite the loss of Trevathan I'm most disappointed in the defense. They looked gutless today. They need to regroup before the next game.

Despite the disappointing loss there were some positives. Without Cunningham's fumble this offense puts up at 19pts and likely 23pts. While he missed quite a few plays this was by far Trubisky's best outing and we're starting to see progress. With Inman looking like a reliable target for him I think we all saw how Trubisky seemed to settle down later in the game. He finished with 297 yards so just barely missed his first 300yd game, and his previous high was 164yds. His last two game he's had 32 and 35 passing attempts. If his teammates, Oline (less penalties) and WRs will start helping him out a bit more we'll see some consistent offense from this unit. Sooner or later he's going to start reading these blitzes too and picking up the hot reads.

I'm not sure how creative we can be on offense when our best WR has been with the team 2 weeks. I'm surprised to say that about Inman but it's clear how much of a difference he made today. To get him on the field they had to stick with a fairly small set of plays. For the first time I think Trubisky sees what it is like to play with a WR who can consistently get open against man coverage. I'm not saying Inman is a great WR, but he's at least an NFL WR.

We really miss Trevathan on defense. There is no doubt he is the QB of this defense and without him on the field Jones falls back into his usual mental lapses. Fortunately he'll be back soon. I feel the same with Long on the Oline. The Oline shuffle just didn't work well for the running game today.

Despite the loss of Trevathan I'm most disappointed in the defense. They looked gutless today. They need to regroup before the next game.

Despite the disappointing loss there were some positives. Without Cunningham's fumble this offense puts up at 19pts and likely 23pts. While he missed quite a few plays this was by far Trubisky's best outing and we're starting to see progress. With Inman looking like a reliable target for him I think we all saw how Trubisky seemed to settle down later in the game. He finished with 297 yards so just barely missed his first 300yd game, and his previous high was 164yds. His last two game he's had 32 and 35 passing attempts. If his teammates, Oline (less penalties) and WRs will start helping him out a bit more we'll see some consistent offense from this unit. Sooner or later he's going to start reading these blitzes too and picking up the hot reads.

Watching the Rams right now and I keep thinking this could be the Bears next year. I just do not see Fox as the HC unless he does the right thing and fires Loggains and hires a one of the best to groom Tru.

Watching the Rams right now and I keep thinking this could be the Bears next year. I just do not see Fox as the HC unless he does the right thing and fires Loggains and hires a one of the best to groom Tru.

We've seen Trubisky progress over 5 games to now he throws for 297yds with no INTs and he's not progressing? Trubisky has seen every blitz possible in the NFL and he's thrown just 2 INTs in his first 5 games. Nobody would blink an eye if he had more INT's considering the constantly changing and poor quality WR corps. Clearly he still has much to improve upon but I just don't see how today's performance represented a step back, or even no improvement, in Trubisky's development.

There is no scenario where bringing John Fox back is a good thing. Remember, Fox is going into the last year of his contract next season. The idea that he could lure in a great quarterback whisperer as his new offensive coordinator in a lame duck scenario would never happen, and signing him to an extension would destroy the franchise for the next several years.

Besides, those considered QB whisperers all get head coaching jobs. If you want someone to develop Trubisky, it has to come from the head coach so you avoid losing him to a promotion.

There is no scenario where bringing John Fox back is a good thing. Remember, Fox is going into the last year of his contract next season. The idea that he could lure in a great quarterback whisperer as his new offensive coordinator in a lame duck scenario would never happen, and signing him to an extension would destroy the franchise for the next several years.

There is one big concern with losing Fox. That being, he goes so does Fangio. Could they offer him (Fangio) the HC position and lure in an actual OC worth something? Would Toub be interested in an OC job? It would be a promotion from ST coordinator right? Although with KC he’s looking at at least making the playoffs this year.

I'm out of expletives. This is the effort we get off a bye while GB comes off a Monday Night Game? Unacceptable.

Loggains needs to go now, why waste anymore time with him tainting Trubisky's development? Worst OC since Shoop?

The Fox challenge was arguably one of the dumbest challenges I have seen. You were getting the ball 1st and goal inside the 2 yard line, why would you challenge it? I can see if it was a game ending play and you had no other choice, but why in the 1st half? The game seemed to change at that point as the Bears had momentum and were driving. It is ironic that we lose by 7 and that was the swing in points on that play. Fox needs to be the 2nd out the door; with 2 weeks to prepare for the biggest rivalry, this is how your team looks? Gone. Worst Winning Percentage in Team History!

Fuller reverted right back to his old shitty self. He got burned all day, missed tackles, and got trucked. Could not have played worse.

For how good our defense has played, I don't understand the game plan against Hundley and GB. They lose their top 2 RB's and were playing a 3rd stringer RB, backup QB, and 2nd string TE, yet we rarely got the RB in the backfield. Run blitzes?

Whatever happened to getting Cohen the ball in space? 1 carry and 1 reception. Howard? 0 receptions. Shaheen with a huge play, then rarely used again, 2 targets, yet Bellamy gets 7? We have the worst game plan and it is not even close.

The refs did not help (again). Nelson clearly held on the Montgomery run with no call and Prince got a ticky tack DPI on that drive. Then they got the Cunningham call wrong. His toe is in white when he has two hands on the ball. Out of bounds without a doubt. Between Miller's TD and this one, back to back weeks with points lost to bad officiating.

Outside of Barth (go figure), Special Teams was brutal. We can't run it out of the end zone and start inside the 25, stupid. Sowell gets a penalty on an XP, then we still try to kick deep, which gives GB great field position, which they seemed to have all day.

Please Fire Loggains!

We've seen Trubisky progress over 5 games to now he throws for 297yds with no INTs and he's not progressing? Trubisky has seen every blitz possible in the NFL and he's thrown just 2 INTs in his first 5 games. Nobody would blink an eye if he had more INT's considering the constantly changing and poor quality WR corps. Clearly he still has much to improve upon but I just don't see how today's performance represented a step back, or even no improvement, in Trubisky's development.

I never said he wasn't. My opinion is that Loggains will never get the best out of this offense. Trubisky was a bright spot today with his #s. There won't be a change next year unless they extend Fox or fire him. I just don't want to see Fangio go.

Besides, those considered QB whisperers all get head coaching jobs. If you want someone to develop Trubisky, it has to come from the head coach so you avoid losing him to a promotion.

It may be me, but I cannot see the Bears getting to a Superbowl under Fox. Fangio can stay, but how do they persuade a new coach to keep him.

I stand by this post...

This is the John Fox game.

We win, Fox stays. We lose, he goes. Something tells me Pace would prefer to move on, but the McCaskeys might want to see it play out a bit longer. The thing that stops that is losing yet again to the Packers twice in a season while they only play a backup. We win, and McCaskeys are happy-ish.

I really want to beat the living @h!t out of GB regardless...

I stand by this post...

Agreed. This was a game that Fox should have won. He had the best unit on the field. He had 2 weeks to prepare and the Packers were coming off a short week.

The Bears beat themselves today. Fox did not have his team ready. He needs to go.

Peace :dabears

Agreed. This was a game that Fox should have won. He had the best unit on the field. He had 2 weeks to prepare and the Packers were coming off a short week.

The Bears beat themselves today. Fox did not have his team ready. He needs to go.

Peace :dabears

I had all this optimism coming off a bye week. Trending toward 500%, good defense, have a good RB, a flashy offensive player in Cohen and reality hits. Fox did not have the team prepared, some of it is our depth playing with all the injuries. People have been clamoring for Tribisky to pass more and the truth is, he did ok but if was only because we could not run consistently.

Coming off the bye week , Long, Trevathan, Sims, and Callahan doesnt play. Miller is now lost for the season, and our Oline loses the battle up front. We have good defensive players making stupid mistakes and we fall on the sword.

Without Long and Sims, our Oline was overrun. Without Trevathan, we couldnt stop the run. Callahan missing showed with all the plays to Cobb and Adams, we simply am not good enough to overcome this number of talented players missing to win a game. Also Compton wasnt around to allow Whitehair to stay at OC and Grasu simply sucks.

I suppose we should have seen this coming but I watch with rose colored glasses.

Reality is when we lost the ball on the goal line, the game was over for a team finding a hard time to score points. Had we scored there, I think the flow of the game would have changed and the clown car would have been stalled for another week.

I had all this optimism coming off a bye week. Trending toward 500%, good defense, have a good RB, a flashy offensive player in Cohen and reality hits. Fox did not have the team prepared, some of it is our depth playing with all the injuries. People have been clamoring for Tribisky to pass more and the truth is, he did ok but if was only because we could not run consistently.

Coming off the bye week , Long, Trevathan, Sims, and Callahan doesnt play. Miller is now lost for the season, and our Oline loses the battle up front. We have good defensive players making stupid mistakes and we fall on the sword.

Without Long and Sims, our Oline was overrun. Without Trevathan, we couldnt stop the run. Callahan missing showed with all the plays to Cobb and Adams, we simply am not good enough to overcome this number of talented players missing to win a game. Also Compton wasnt around to allow Whitehair to stay at OC and Grasu simply sucks.

I suppose we should have seen this coming but I watch with rose colored glasses.

Reality is when we lost the ball on the goal line, the game was over for a team finding a hard time to score points. Had we scored there, I think the flow of the game would have changed and the clown car would have been stalled for another week.

that's kinda how I feel about it. I'm starting to develop my wish list.

This was the most disgusting performance under this staff to date! I can't believe how flat the defense played and the trend of this team being 0-3 after the bye week under this staff continues! The trend that this team is 0-6 under this staff when they are favored continues. The trend of being out coached continues. The penalties that continue to stall drives continues and that's on this staff! This is a train wreck! Ryan Pace is not without blame also!

To me I see some stagnation. Not sure if he's the blame or the lack of creative play calling. As the commentators remarked yesterday, Trubisky missed a few times on the blitzes GB presented. Obviously when one or two blitzers rush him that means something underneath more than likely will be open. Throw in the length of time he held the ball you have to ask, 'why not throw it out of bounds' rather than take a sack? Which occurred 5 times yesterday. This from ESPN: "The negatives: Trubisky still holds onto the ball too long. The second overall pick was sacked five times, but not all of them were the offensive line's fault. Trubisky also struggled when Green Bay sent only four rushers. On the season, Trubisky has zero touchdowns, two interceptions and seven sacks taken against four or fewer pass rushers. "

Of those 297 yards how many were thrown in the fourth quarter? When GB went into pass prevent? Most of his completions, especially in the 'crunch time' were to the underneath route (Inman) which teams like GB will allow all day long if they have a 7 point lead.

Look, I'm not focusing on this to trash Trubisky. There was an overall failure from the team, not just Mitchell. Quite frankly most of the games this year have been a yawn-fest. Every so often the defense provides some spark but the offense has done little, outside of Howard, to look all that impressive. I will say that Trubisky's first game (against Minnesota) was much more entertaining than were his last four (?) starts? Again, were these his fault? No. I blame that on poor offensive play-calling. But Trubisky should be able to recognize blitz presentations and be prepared what to do, as a QB, if he sees it happen. I blame a lot of this on his lack of experience not only here in the NFL but so too at the collegiate level.

To me I see some stagnation. Not sure if he's the blame or the lack of creative play calling. As the commentators remarked yesterday, Trubisky missed a few times on the blitzes GB presented. Obviously when one or two blitzers rush him that means something underneath more than likely will be open. Throw in the length of time he held the ball you have to ask, 'why not throw it out of bounds' rather than take a sack? Which occurred 5 times yesterday. This from ESPN: "The negatives: Trubisky still holds onto the ball too long. The second overall pick was sacked five times, but not all of them were the offensive line's fault. Trubisky also struggled when Green Bay sent only four rushers. On the season, Trubisky has zero touchdowns, two interceptions and seven sacks taken against four or fewer pass rushers. "

Of those 297 yards how many were thrown in the fourth quarter? When GB went into pass prevent? Most of his completions, especially in the 'crunch time' were to the underneath route (Inman) which teams like GB will allow all day long if they have a 7 point lead.

Look, I'm not focusing on this to trash Trubisky. There was an overall failure from the team, not just Mitchell. Quite frankly most of the games this year have been a yawn-fest. Every so often the defense provides some spark but the offense has done little, outside of Howard, to look all that impressive. I will say that Trubisky's first game (against Minnesota) was much more entertaining than were his last four (?) starts? Again, were these his fault? No. I blame that on poor offensive play-calling. But Trubisky should be able to recognize blitz presentations and be prepared what to do, as a QB, if he sees it happen. I blame a lot of this on his lack of experience not only here in the NFL but so too at the collegiate level.

I get ya Griz. I saw him hold the ball a bit too long several times. IMdO he's trying to make plays and gets caught by the speed. I'm very impressed with the lack of INTS and, to me, his desire to make something happen. I'm hoping for some coaches that can help him progress. Right now, we seem to be conservative and listless when it comes to play calling.

I get ya Griz. I saw him hold the ball a bit too long several times. IMdO he's trying to make plays and gets caught by the speed. I'm very impressed with the lack of INTS and, to me, his desire to make something happen. I'm hoping for some coaches that can help him progress. Right now, we seem to be conservative and listless when it comes to play calling.

I think what were seeing is him having to do reads and it slows his timing on passes. In the preseason, they just made everything simple for him, quick one read, run or hit outlet pass. Now he is trying to absorb the offensive reads and defensive reads and its slowing him down. He is will eventually get it. I hate to say it, but when they said he needed this year to sit and learn, they were probably right., Although, overall, he probably speeds the learning curve up with playing.

4th quarter passing plays:

2nd and 7: Inman 14yds

1st and 10: Bellamy 46yd TD

I'm not sure you could say GB was in prevent defense on the above drive which started with 13min left in the game

Next drive starts with 5min left

1st and 10: Inman 17yds

1st and 10: Inman 12yds

2nd and 10: Brown 16yds

3rd and 10: Wright 4yds

total 49yds

Next drive w/ 1min left in game

1st and 10: Wright 11yds

4th and 10: Cunningham 5yds

total 16 yds

If you say GB was in prevent defense with 5 min to go they gave up 65yds of Trubisky's 297.

I think what were seeing is him having to do reads and it slows his timing on passes. In the preseason, they just made everything simple for him, quick one read, run or hit outlet pass. Now he is trying to absorb the offensive reads and defensive reads and its slowing him down. He is will eventually get it. I hate to say it, but when they said he needed this year to sit and learn, they were probably right., Although, overall, he probably speeds the learning curve up with playing.

Six weeks ago everyone was saying forget about the record, let the kid play and learn. We'll get and need a high draft pick anyway. He's doing that and the results haven't been fantastic but he's improving. Yet that record thing is now a hot topic.

Inman fits in the Meredith category, maybe he's a tick slower in/out of his cuts but he's a heck of a lot better at getting open than Gentry. He's going to help Trubisky quite a bit.

4th quarter passing plays:

2nd and 7: Inman 14yds

1st and 10: Bellamy 46yd TD

I'm not sure you could say GB was in prevent defense on the above drive which started with 13min left in the game

Next drive starts with 5min left

1st and 10: Inman 17yds

1st and 10: Inman 12yds

2nd and 10: Brown 16yds

3rd and 10: Wright 4yds

total 49yds

Next drive w/ 1min left in game

1st and 10: Wright 11yds

4th and 10: Cunningham 5yds

total 16 yds

If you say GB was in prevent defense with 5 min to go they gave up 65yds of Trubisky's 297.

It was also a one score game...you usually aren't playing prevent in a one score game...you are doing that in a two score game where you are more focused on making them take a long-time going down the field. I thought Trubisky was better, but he is still extremely slow at his decision making and not getting the ball off fast enough. Somewhat related, he tends to panick and have bad footwork in those situations as well, which impacts the footwork. In general, he looks like a guy who doesn't have much experience reading defenses and given his lack of playing time in college that really shouldn't be a surprise. This is all going to come down to how mentally strong he is (to not let this struggles create bad habits) and how smart / how hard of a worker he is so that he can correct this issues and really deliver.

Our coaches and players also have to help him out, but there were at least a few sacks where live (not on replay) I was busy going, you got to get that ball out to X (who was open) and he just wasn't scanning the field / making the immediate reads based upon blitzes coming in, etc. He's playing "slow" and I mentioned it above, but we shouldn't be surprised given his lack of experience.