Head Coach Rumors

Chitownhustla

To build on this, Cowherd said he had heard that McDaniels was the front-runner in Chicago, Indy, and Giants and that he'll be taking one of those jobs. That said, all speculation. The thought behind Edwards hire definitely fits the narrative that they may want to move fast. Even Pace had made a comment somewhere that he trimmed his initial list so they can be swift and aggressive when they identified their guy. I think they recognize their are a lot of jobs out there and quite frankly a lot of them are pretty attractive and with that, strategy to how you get your target candidate becomes key (since he might be the top guy on a couple other teams lists).

I also always think this is a good time for Pace to just get insights on the team and someone from within the division (such as Edwards) should provide good nuggets during the interview on the team. I also go back to the fact that he's a free agent and if we go with an offensive minded head coach, having some dialogue now could smooth the wheels to offering a big contract when said coach becomes a free agent. Same could be said with Defillippo (who is a free agent).

The early rumors are that the Bears are going to make a strong push to retain Fangio, which pushes me to think we are going for an offensive guy; That said, I think all of that is premature since we haven't even met with an external coach yet.

If they trimmed it down, I wonder if Toub got cut. He was a hot name early on with Chi and Ind. I would love to see how be does (not necessarily w the bears) because he his name gets thrown out there all the time.

I know some will not like it, but I have a feeling Paces gut is with Mcdaniels. Some more McDaniel tidbits. Ed Donatell coached under him at Denver as well as his brother Ben McDaniels who are both with the Bears. Maybe Fangio stays with Donatell? We all know Mike McCoy, he also coached under Mcdaniels and he may go with him as OC. Adam Gace also coached with Mcdaniels, so the offense may even be spoken the same since Loggains kept things similiar.. If things work out, Pace may be able to keep continuity of the team nearly intact but lean heavy on offensive minds. The transition should pick up quicker.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With no stars on D, injuries abound, the Bears were 9th in points per game, 10th in yards per game, and 11th in yards per play. I hope they do all they can to retain Fangio, outside of giving him the head coaching the game. I want him doing the x's and o's, and not busy running the team. Pay him, name him assistant head coach, do whatever they need to.

With no stars on D, injuries abound, the Bears were 9th in points per game, 10th in yards per game, and 11th in yards per play. I hope they do all they can to retain Fangio, outside of giving him the head coaching the game. I want him doing the x's and o's, and not busy running the team. Pay him, name him assistant head coach, do whatever they need to.

I seen that DeFilppo coached with him in Carolina. A younger coach like him would need to lean heavy on a coach like Fangio, so he would need that Ass3t H.C. title and extra pay.

Totally agree. I like bed watching the videos that have circulated of him breaking down plays from an X's and O's standpoint. Really loved his demeanor and how thorough he was with the plays

He is very impressive. I would be good with hiring him from what I saw but would want a veteran defensive coordinator to work with him.

What about Del Rio if we can't convince Fangio to stay?

Peace :dabears

Harbaugh is not leaving Michigan yet. I would say it would take another few years of frustration to make him want to leave.

I would love for Pace to interview Shaw.

Harbaugh would be a cool hire BUT Shaw would be an absolute awesome hire. Can’t rememmber which network he’s on during the draft (ESPN?) but when he’s on there the players that know him absolutely love him. And when you listen to him its clear he knows what he’s talking about. He would be solid for our team and a perfect match with Fangio if they could convince him to stay.

Fangio is already the 2nd highest paid DC in the league, he simply has to want to be here.

Harbaugh would be a cool hire BUT Shaw would be an absolute awesome hire. Can’t rememmber which network he’s on during the draft (ESPN?) but when he’s on there the players that know him absolutely love him. And when you listen to him its clear he knows what he’s talking about. He would be solid for our team and a perfect match with Fangio if they could convince him to stay.

I haven't heard him interviewing for any jobs. I think he got a new contract last year and doesn't want to leave.

He is very impressive. I would be good with hiring him from what I saw but would want a veteran defensive coordinator to work with him.

What about Del Rio if we can't convince Fangio to stay?

Yeah I'd like to see that if he can't get another HC gig. The one thing going for us is that there is only 6 openings as of right now and the raiders gig was gtd to go to gruden the second del Rio was let go.

The early rumors are that the Bears are going to make a strong push to retain Fangio, which pushes me to think we are going for an offensive guy; That said, I think all of that is premature since we haven't even met with an external coach yet.

I remember hearing as well that Fangio would like to stay and continue to develop the defense here. Vic takes a lot pride and ownership in his defense and he's invested 3 years in working with this Bears defense. Not that any of this or any other rumors mean he'll be back next year. But I do think the Bears would like to have him stay, and I think given the right circumstances he'd stay. I personally hope we can keep him, and if not bring in someone who can build on what he's done here.

That's ESPN writers and broadcasters who have little to no credibility/brains. Nick Saban who flamed out in the NFL? Holy smokes Urban Meyer is on this list too. What about his offense makes anyone think he's ready for the NFL? Katie Sowers received the same amount of points as Jim Schwartz. Yes, it's interesting.

NFL Network. I do like his input on players, especially during the combine.

Before Shaw I would take Matt Campbell out of Iowa State, and not just because I was there drinking and sometimes studying. I think Campbell is one of those few coaches that can take his players and beat yours, and can take yours and beat his. He turned around the Cyclone program very fast (2 seasons) after doing a fantastic job at Toledo. The same players that couldn't win anything two years earlier beat Oklahoma and TCU. More importantly, players know where to go and what to do when they get there so he's not winning on talent alone. I like Chris Peterson at Washington as well. I think he's in the same caliber of coaches but even more proven.

I remember hearing as well that Fangio would like to stay and continue to develop the defense here. Vic takes a lot pride and ownership in his defense and he's invested 3 years in working with this Bears defense. Not that any of this or any other rumors mean he'll be back next year. But I do think the Bears would like to have him stay, and I think given the right circumstances he'd stay. I personally hope we can keep him, and if not bring in someone who can build on what he's done here.

And continuing the thought on Shaw; there’s a linear connection from Shaw to Harbaugh to Fangio. Where Shaw took over at Stanford from Harbaugh when he left for SF where Fangio was his DC. Perhaps they all know about one another’s abilities through that connection? And if Fangio weren’t chosen for HC (or even if he was) he’d put in a good word for Shaw(?) if not hire him as OC? I’d like to think a bright young offensive mind like Shaw paired with a grizzled vet for a DC like Fangio would really be a good combination for our team.

Think Dick Lebeau with Mike Tomlin - the early years.

And continuing the thought on Shaw; there’s a linear connection from Shaw to Harbaugh to Fangio. Where Shaw took over at Stanford from Harbaugh when he left for SF where Fangio was his DC. Perhaps they all know about one another’s abilities through that connection? And if Fangio weren’t chosen for HC (or even if he was) he’d put in a good word for Shaw(?) if not hire him as OC? I’d like to think a bright young offensive mind like Shaw paired with a grizzled vet for a DC like Fangio would really be a good combination for our team.

Think Dick Lebeau with Mike Tomlin - the early years.

Not trying to put you on the spot Grizzly, but I don't understand why do I keep seeing people reference Shaw as a potential OC candidate? He is widely regarded as one of the top 4 or 5 head coaches in all of college football and is on the short list of guys who would be fantastic hires as head coaches in the NFL. He is not leaving his gig at Stanford to become an offensive coordinator in the NFL. Most don't think he'd leave Stanford for a HC job unless you really really threw him some coin.

ESPN just had an article out of all their insiders, which asked if they were to hire an NFL head coach (who is not currently employed as an NFL headcoach), who would it be and Shaw was the #2 rated guy they would pick (behind Jim Harbaugh). Interestingly enough McDaniels was 3rd.

Note: Shaw is paid $4M a year at Stanford; Fangio is rumord to be one of the 2 or 3 highest paid assistant coaches at around half of that.

Not trying to put you on the spot Grizzly, but I don't understand why do I keep seeing people reference Shaw as a potential OC candidate? He is widely regarded as one of the top 4 or 5 head coaches in all of college football and is on the short list of guys who would be fantastic hires as head coaches in the NFL. He is not leaving his gig at Stanford to become an offensive coordinator in the NFL. Most don't think he'd leave Stanford for a HC job unless you really really threw him some coin.

ESPN just had an article out of all their insiders, which asked if they were to hire an NFL head coach (who is not currently employed as an NFL headcoach), who would it be and Shaw was the #2 rated guy they would pick (behind Jim Harbaugh). Interestingly enough McDaniels was 3rd.

Note: Shaw is paid $4M a year at Stanford; Fangio is rumord to be one of the 2 or 3 highest paid assistant coaches at around half of that.

Agreed. Shaw's not coming to the NFL as an assistant.

Peace :bringit

I don’t know if he’s be better off as an OC or HC. I’d be ok with either one and presumably, should Fangio be convinced to stay, and should Shaw be offered the HC gig Vic would be ‘promoted’ to Asst. HC and given a raise. But of course this is all a HUGE hypothetical because so far we know Shaw had not been asked to interview by the Bears. Fangio has.

As far as HC pay goes though; don’t think for a minute once Gruden is hired by the Raiders and offered a $10 million / year contract other HCs won’t take notice (potential and current). Negotiations for contract renewals and for new HCs will use that as a measure. Which in turn will affect assistant coaches etc.

Rather quietly the Bears seemed to have moved on from interviewing Steve Wilks. I'm still of the opinion that they are most interested in the 3 offensive-minded coaches who are interviewing this week. If they don't get the coach they want there may be a second tier of interviews but right now it feels like we'll be hearing some rumors about a leading candidate this weekend.

Rather quietly the Bears seemed to have moved on from interviewing Steve Wilks. I'm still of the opinion that they are most interested in the 3 offensive-minded coaches who are interviewing this week. If they don't get the coach they want there may be a second tier of interviews but right now it feels like we'll be hearing some rumors about a leading candidate this weekend.

Well technically they can't interview will until next week. His team plays this weekend in the playoffs whereas the Minnesota guys and McDaniels don't play this weekend. So they can interview. Even after interviewing they can't announce any hiring any after that person's team has been eliminated from the playoffs or until after the Superbowl

Ive only seen Lavar talk about Shaw being an OC. I was going to disagree with that notion but didnt want to get into it with him. Grizzley was 100% right on Cutler being a DUD. He isnt as keen on potential HC or OC hires, but Im not surprised, he really loved him some Lovie.

Ive only seen Lavar talk about Shaw being an OC. I was going to disagree with that notion but didnt want to get into it with him. Grizzley was 100% right on Cutler being a DUD. He isnt as keen on potential HC or OC hires, but Im not surprised, he really loved him some Lovie.

I know you’re reading comprehension is what it is so I’ll reiterate (that means re-say) my earlier post. Only I’ll slow down because well... you can’t read.

My comment about Shaw wasn’t specifically about whether he would or should be an OC. Actually my whole post was based on hypotheticals (or fantasmic-like thinking). Granted it blurred the lines of my intent but bottom line I was/am in full support of Shaw as a member of the coaching staff for Chicago. I also would like to see Fangio stick around as DC. But to do that you might have to offer him more (like others here suggested) to be an asst. HC and/or more money should they hire someone like Shaw as HC.

And thank you for FINALLY realizing Cutler is a “DUD”. Your continued support of him was simply sad. And Grizzly is spelled without an ‘e’.

I know you’re reading comprehension is what it is so I’ll reiterate (that means re-say) my earlier post. Only I’ll slow down because well... you can’t read.

My comment about Shaw wasn’t specifically about whether he would or should be an OC. Actually my whole post was based on hypotheticals (or fantasmic-like thinking). Granted it blurred the lines of my intent but bottom line I was/am in full support of Shaw as a member of the coaching staff for Chicago. I also would like to see Fangio stick around as DC. But to do that you might have to offer him more (like others here suggested) to be an asst. HC and/or more money should they hire someone like Shaw as HC.

And thank you for FINALLY realizing Cutler is a “DUD”. Your continued support of him was simply sad. And Grizzly is spelled without an ‘e’.

Lavar GrizzlEy,

Do you want Shaw as the Bears next HC?

Thank,

Chitown El Presidente

And Harbaugh is paid roughly $9 million per year (last year anyhow) where the highest paid NFL coach (Carroll) is just north of $8 million. Yet Harbaugh is discussed as a potential HC not just on this ESPN article but elsewhere. No one knows what a person’s motivation is until they’re put in the spot.

I agree with you though that if anything, Shaw would be an HC.

Don't overlook Pete Carmichael Jr. Saints OC. Pace will know him well. New Orleans' offense has been very good under his direction.

I think it's Carmichael or McDaniels and DeFillippi is the wild card.

Is the saints offense a juggernaut because of Carmichael or because of Sean Peyton