Everyone Agrees, Free Agent Acquisitions...

Mongo3451

I think it is hard to access what they look for in traits for W rs. I have thought fast or quickness was priority but not sure. I think Wright is in play but they may go for Wilson who played the slot in KC and is more familiar with Nagy and younger. White may ideally fit the profile but who knows what to expect out of him. He may be the surprise and thrive. Otherwise either Inman or Merideth but not both. I would say they bring in 2 FAs and draft one. Does anyone think Tanner Gentry may have more contributions under this regime?

I don't think Gentry has more than a very slim chance unless he drastically improves his ability to create separation. When I watched him he was constantly blanketed and could never get open. Unless that happens he's got chance

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is hard to access what they look for in traits for W rs. I have thought fast or quickness was priority but not sure. I think Wright is in play but they may go for Wilson who played the slot in KC and is more familiar with Nagy and younger. White may ideally fit the profile but who knows what to expect out of him. He may be the surprise and thrive. Otherwise either Inman or Merideth but not both. I would say they bring in 2 FAs and draft one. Does anyone think Tanner Gentry may have more contributions under this regime?

Tanner Gentry has good straight line speed but lacks lateral quickness. It was evident on his college film and really evident in the NFL. I think these coaches value quickness over speed, somewhat the opposite of Gentry. He's a gym rat who focused on strength but he might benefit some by leaning out his body to gain some quickness. No matter what IMO he's likely headed to someone's practice squad.

With regards to WRs and maybe TEs, I’d suggest the Bears will be looking for cast offs or potential FAs from Philadelphia or KC. Maybe even any other ‘Reid coaching tree’ teams (Panthers, Bills, Jets or Ravens as ‘for examples’). But then again with Shurmer going back to being a HC there’ll be some competition for those type players.

One name to think about might even be Deonte Thompson (last of the Bills). He’s a potential FA at less than $1 million and if some remember had a pretty good start with Trubisky. Was sort of surprised the team gave up on him.

With regards to WRs and maybe TEs, I’d suggest the Bears will be looking for cast offs or potential FAs from Philadelphia or KC. Maybe even any other ‘Reid coaching tree’ teams (Panthers, Bills, Jets or Ravens as ‘for examples’). But then again with Shurmer going back to being a HC there’ll be some competition for those type players.

One name to think about might even be Deonte Thompson (last of the Bills). He’s a potential FA at less than $1 million and if some remember had a pretty good start with Trubisky. Was sort of surprised the team gave up on him.

Normally, I would totally agree with the Reid-centric analysis. That's smart.

But in this case, I think Helfrich and Nagy are building something new. Between them they will know a lot about wide receiver skill sets, and their impact on the scouting of WRs will be huge at Halas Hall. They are the WR experts.

I think that we are going to basically overhaul the entire position. The only player I think we are sure to keep is White, and he will be slotted as competition for #5 at first. He may surprise us all, but no way they are counting on him at all. Theyll take a look is all.

As for the rest of them, I dont think they have any inside track to be on the squad going into training camp ahead of any other free agent or incoming rookie.

I really think that they will all be different next year. Theyre starting from scratch, just like we changed to the 3-4 and needed new DTs and OLBs that fit the scheme.

I dont see Pace having any particular loyalty to any WR on the squad today either. He didnt wrap any of them up with long term deals.

I think they all sit down together and start from scratch on the WRs.

Kevin White is Pace's first pick period and I'm sure he is going to give him every opportunity to succeed.

Cam Meredith and Kendall Wright are the other guys from the WR group who should be returning the rest should be fighting for their NFL lives.

I also would bring back Tre McBride for another chance meaning that Josh Bellamy would not be coming back. Whatever went down between those two made Fox choose the better special teams player of the two but I thought McBride had some potential and if the rumors from a former Bear are true that Bellamy likes to go after teammates girls then he should be gone anyway.

It seems a bit pretentious of you to guarantee anything. Return maybe, but play? Let alone a full season. Of the 4-5 receivers discussed in the last few paragraphs who has performed the most in the last two years? Meredith would have an edge (only slightly over Inman) for his 2016 performance, but he will be returning from a pretty significant knee injury. And White? Well....you said it.

I think it's IMO that he guarantees it. White is still under contract, so he is for sure coming back. Merideth is a RFA so odds are he is coming back because Bears have control and can get him back with a cheap contract. So I think he is correct. . We have to see what Nagy sees in the evaluation but several will be offered contracts. I suspect they give prove it contracts and cut people before the regular season starts. Just throwing lots of darts at the problem.

White for sure will at least be in camp but this is a prove it season/last shot.

I see Meredith, Inman, and Write coming back.

Meredith should be fairly cheep to retain and he was very productive in 2016, if healthy he should be back

Inman may not have had as much time here but he produced when he got here I think he's earned a shot to stay

Wright seems to have been the most consistent throughout the season so I think he's earned a shot to stay as well

I'd like us to go after Landry and possibly someone else. I suspect we will as Pace likes to take multiple swings at filling holes.

I'd like to see us draft 1-2 WR's this year with one being a fairly high pick (rounds 1-3)

What I think we enter camp with is White, Wright, Inman, Meredith, FA, FA, Rookie, Rookie. That'd be 8 WR's in camp and say we keep the best 5-6 for the 53 man.

Playing the FA game is so much harder than the draft game because it comes down to money, and figuring out which guys we'd want who would want to come to Chicago. It's also a matter of pretending the Bears can get the #1 guy at any position, which hasn't really happened much in Chicago. In the draft they don't really have a choice. And that doesn't even get into the disagreement already apparent in this thread.

Having said that, I'd do the following with regard to the WRs:

1. White is obviously staying. That's one. There is no harm in hoping THIS is the year he finally gets to play.

2. Go hard after Jordan Matthews. He won't break the bank and he's good. 2014-2015 looked great for a 1st & 2nd year, then Philly pushed him aside. 2017 in Buffalo is just a bad Buffalo offense, a bum knee, and them pushing Zay Jones forward. Two.

3. Re-sign Kendall Wright. He has the best resume and chance to succeed with the right situation. Three.

4. Re-sign the cheapest of Inman or Bellamy. I'd rather have Inman, but if he pushes too hard he can pound sand. Four.

5. Draft a rookie WR in the first few rounds.

That's five guys on the roster that you should move forward with. If there are significant injuries, it's almost a lost cause anyway. Therefore, the rest are camp bodies like Tanner Gentry and some random UDFA (or late rounder assuming a trade down for more picks).

Playing the FA game is so much harder than the draft game because it comes down to money, and figuring out which guys we'd want who would want to come to Chicago. It's also a matter of pretending the Bears can get the #1 guy at any position, which hasn't really happened much in Chicago. In the draft they don't really have a choice. And that doesn't even get into the disagreement already apparent in this thread.

Having said that, I'd do the following with regard to the WRs:

1. White is obviously staying. That's one. There is no harm in hoping THIS is the year he finally gets to play.

2. Go hard after Jordan Matthews. He won't break the bank and he's good. 2014-2015 looked great for a 1st & 2nd year, then Philly pushed him aside. 2017 in Buffalo is just a bad Buffalo offense, a bum knee, and them pushing Zay Jones forward. Two.

3. Re-sign Kendall Wright. He has the best resume and chance to succeed with the right situation. Three.

4. Re-sign the cheapest of Inman or Bellamy. I'd rather have Inman, but if he pushes too hard he can pound sand. Four.

5. Draft a rookie WR in the first few rounds.

That's five guys on the roster that you should move forward with. If there are significant injuries, it's almost a lost cause anyway. Therefore, the rest are camp bodies like Tanner Gentry and some random UDFA (or late rounder assuming a trade down for more picks).

What about Meredith? He is a restricted FA and will come cheap for this year.

Peace :dabears

White for sure will at least be in camp but this is a prove it season/last shot.

I see Meredith, Inman, and Write coming back.

Meredith should be fairly cheep to retain and he was very productive in 2016, if healthy he should be back

Inman may not have had as much time here but he produced when he got here I think he's earned a shot to stay

Wright seems to have been the most consistent throughout the season so I think he's earned a shot to stay as well

I'd like us to go after Landry and possibly someone else. I suspect we will as Pace likes to take multiple swings at filling holes.

I'd like to see us draft 1-2 WR's this year with one being a fairly high pick (rounds 1-3)

What I think we enter camp with is White, Wright, Inman, Meredith, FA, FA, Rookie, Rookie. That'd be 8 WR's in camp and say we keep the best 5-6 for the 53 man.

Excellent plan and I fully endorse.

We have tons of cap space tho. I think White makes it to camp at least, but I don't think more than 2 of the WRs on our team make the 53 man roster next year on opening day. Wright might have a chance.

I think Meredith is a good one to keep. Former QB who has intelligence to know the plays, find openings with size and speed. He is only going to get better unless he is damaged goods with the injury. If Meredith is damaged, then Inman is "IN". White is a given to fight for a spot as you said. Do they re-sign Wright to build consistency with Mitch or let him rejoin Loggains in Miami and sign Landry or Matthews instead? If we keep Wright, I see them going for a bigger outside threat, maybe Josh Gordon since A Robinson is coming off an injury. If they don't keep Wright, then I can see them go for a slot like Landry or Matthews. So with Meredith, Wright, White, and Gordon, which draft pick would compliment this group? Ridley 6'1 190 25 yr old who can separate and catch at a top level. Or Sutton 6'4 218 who can use his body to create the space. If they go WR, I hope they at least move down to gain a 2nd or 3rd, which is possible with the QB push.

I don't think the cohesion argument has any weight in this case. They were't GOOD, and the entire offensive playbook and approach is changing.

If these guys grade out as the best Free Agent options at a given price they'll stay, otherwise, theyre just the same as every other Free Agent.

I think Meredith is a good one to keep. Former QB who has intelligence to know the plays, find openings with size and speed. He is only going to get better unless he is damaged goods with the injury. If Meredith is damaged, then Inman is "IN". White is a given to fight for a spot as you said. Do they re-sign Wright to build consistency with Mitch or let him rejoin Loggains in Miami and sign Landry or Matthews instead? If we keep Wright, I see them going for a bigger outside threat, maybe Josh Gordon since A Robinson is coming off an injury. If they don't keep Wright, then I can see them go for a slot like Landry or Matthews. So with Meredith, Wright, White, and Gordon, which draft pick would compliment this group? Ridley 6'1 190 25 yr old who can separate and catch at a top level. Or Sutton 6'4 218 who can use his body to create the space. If they go WR, I hope they at least move down to gain a 2nd or 3rd, which is possible with the QB push.
I don't think Gordon is an option. Nice thought though.

I don't think Gordon is an option. Nice thought though.

You are correct, I thought he was a FA but Cle has his rights until 2020. Hate to say it, but they may go hard for Allen Robinson if he checks out healthy. It may be a one year prove it type deal. I dont see them spending big on a slot WR like Landry when they can get similiar production from Wright.

Maybe worth a visit. Read today there is A good chance Robert Quinn...age 27 gets cut. He is owed 13 million and the Rams will be strapped to cut only having 900,000 in space.

Quinn would be a huge upgrade, and at 27, still has some peak years left.

I hope the Bears are going over this kid from Texas San Antonio that can come off the edge opposite Floyd named Davenport that all the scouts are talking about. Quinn has always seemed to fit a 4-3 scheme IMO and we already have one on the roster that is rehabbing,Willie Young.

I hope the Bears are going over this kid from Texas San Antonio that can come off the edge opposite Floyd named Davenport that all the scouts are talking about. Quinn has always seemed to fit a 4-3 scheme IMO and we already have one on the roster that is rehabbing,Willie Young.

I love what I'm hearing about Davenport. Absolutely working over everyone down there in 1 on 1. I've been hearing really good things about Kevin where's brother as well. Though I don't know where he is projected to go. Just know that he's a safety.

I love what I'm hearing about Davenport. Absolutely working over everyone down there in 1 on 1. I've been hearing really good things about Kevin where's brother as well. Though I don't know where he is projected to go. Just know that he's a safety.

According to Mayock he isn't dominating like he should but the scheme at the Senior Bowl is a 4-3 which doesn't actually highlight his skills because projects as a raw prospect THAT SHOULD GO IN THE FIRST ROUND? I like Mayock but feel sometimes those of us that have been watching all football including our kids all our lives need to trust what we see even if we don't have the all 22 view because a stud player is a stud player on any size screen.