Who’s your guy?

bradjock

This is it.  This has probably been done 40 times since Christmas, but as we are on draft night eve, I’ll throw it out one last time:

My guy—Roquan Smith:  Damn it’d be nice to get an immediate impact linebacker

My Likes—I’d be happy with Quenton Nelson and Tremaine Edmunds

I’d Hate—any secondary player.  Please establish the front first. 

Tremaine Edmunds... even if Nelson is on the board.  

My likes:  Nelson, ......if both are gone (and unless Chubb or Barkley are there) I say we just trade down.  I don't see a lot of difference between a player like Ward vs. Jaire Alexander.  Fitzpatrick vs. James.   Or even adding Ridley at say #15 and then perhaps an additional 2nd Rd pick (we might give back a 4th).  

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Tremaine Edmunds... even if Nelson is on the board.  

My likes:  Nelson, ......if both are gone (and unless Chubb or Barkley are there) I say we just trade down.  I don't see a lot of difference between a player like Ward vs. Jaire Alexander.  Fitzpatrick vs. James.   Or even adding Ridley at say #15 and then perhaps an additional 2nd Rd pick (we might give back a 4th).  

right on. Im with you.

My guy:  Nelson , Nelson , Nelson , the BP in the draft and fits a need.

second choice: R. Smith/ILB   he has been compared to Pat Willis and Ray Lewis, same size as both. A plug and play, several pro bowls.

3rd choice: Fitzpatrick/DB  plays everywhere and is play maker. Makes everybody around him better. Plug and play

4th choice: Edmunds, a developmental player with huge upside. He will take 2 years to develop , my other choices will be making pro bowls.

5th choice: H. Landry, I think he is the second best pass rusher in draft, probably on a trade back for value. 

Just listened to Tom Thayer on the SCORE. The great ND player, suggests we take R. Smith even if Q. Nelson is there. He stated that out of the 24 OGs that started in the playoffs last year, 2 was first round picks, 8 were UDFA. He thinks you can find a OG later in the draft and let HH develop him. I trust his opinion.

My guy: Nelson..  he's been compared to hutchinson... nuff said... if we are going to finally have any offensive aptitude,  it starts up front...it's not rocket science... protect trubisky and the offense thrives..  btw I wouldn't be opposed to moving Nelson to tackle as his measurables show he could be a damn good one... I would then hope for hubbard in the second as I'm a big buckeye fan ( he reminds me of vrabel ) and think he'd make a great olb...

Guys I'd be ok with: Smith/Edmonds with Billy price in the second.

Guy I'd be pissed and would scream fire pace: Ward... like I said huge buckeye fan..  ward is overated and benefited from the great pass rush of hubbard and bosa and young.. he is not like lattimore... he is like Callahan but went to a big program and benefited from it...

I think the difference in Edmunds being not ready and Smith being plug and play are overstated.

I see film where Smith struggles with blocks, and I see a lot of productivity from Edmunds.

I think that for each player, they list pros and cons, and if you read that relative to everyone else, it can almost seem like every player is about equal in that they both have pluses and minuses.

They say Edmunds is young and needs to grow. That might be another way of saying his ceiling is SO much higher that he will grow into a hall of famer. That doesnt mean that he is inherently less ready for the NFL than Smith.

If you believe in your coaches, you take Edmunds. If you're a Jerry Angelo play it safe floor guy, you take Smith.

Also, this is not a year in the "open window" so hitting the ground running this year is less important than securing the best player for 2019 and beyond. I truly believe that Edmunds will be a force in the NFL. If you watch his tape, his tackiling is ALWAYS heads up - he envelops ball carriers, he has tremendous speed and can cover in man like a safety. His hips are incredibly fluid and his wingspan - he just eats up ball carriers.

If you havent seen him on tape, watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_alNNzT1n0

15 hours ago, bradjock said:

This is it.  This has probably been done 40 times since Christmas, but as we are on draft night eve, I’ll throw it out one last time:

My guy—Roquan Smith:  Damn it’d be nice to get an immediate impact linebacker

My Likes—I’d be happy with Quenton Nelson and Tremaine Edmunds

I’d Hate—any secondary player.  Please establish the front first. 

I'm pulling for Smith...  With the hopes he is a poor man's Mike SIngletary!

I'm pretty much open, there are a lot of guys I like. The one I like that I think will be available at #8 is Tremaine Edmunds. However, If we could trade up for Chubb, or have Nelson or Smith fall in our laps, fantastic! Trade down, fine, as long as we get a great deal.

What I don't like, and will get pissed off if I see it happen, as I personally have seen it happen too often:

Drafting a player who only had 5 sacks in his best year in college and project him as a double digit sack master difference maker in the Pros and drafting him in the first round. BULL SHIT.

Telling me a player is better than he is projected because he has a "chip in his shoulder" BULL SHIT If a player needs to have a chip on his shoulder to be motivated to play his best, I don't want him. EVERY player drafted should have that "prove it" attitude.

A GM trying to be cute, showing his peers he is smarter than they are, by drafting an obscure player from a small school with no experience against quality opponents and expecting him to be the super sleeper blue chip player that everyone else missed

Yes, you guessed it, BULL SHIT

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

A GM trying to be cute, showing his peers he is smarter than they are, by drafting an obscure player from a small school with no experience against quality opponents and expecting him to be the super sleeper blue chip player that everyone else missed

Yes, you guessed it, BULL SHIT

Pretty much why I get frustrated with Pace.  I feel he may be trying to get cute and reaches ... sometimes

That being said, I'm going to channel my inner-Pace and go with Ryan Wright.  He is a QB who can also Punt (or is he a punter that can be a QB?).  Nevertheless his ceiling is HUGE mostly because he's only a D1 prospect (still in HS) and is committed to play for Tulane.  But you know darn well he'll have that chip on his shoulder because not only will he be an alum of the "Green Wave" but that everyone will have questioned his ability to be an effective QB and Punter. 

https://kohlskicking.com/player-profiles/ryan-wright

But in a serious light I'd have to say 'my guy' would be pretty much any of the tier one LB's.  Of those Edmunds, Smith and Evans would be how I'd rate them.  WIth Smith and Evans being interchangeable. 

After that I'd say in round 2 it should be OL (remaining top candidate) and/or Fitzpatrick.  I'd still like them to get a decent WR in the top few round if possible but I don't feel its as necessary as it once was. 

*Edit:  I’d also say I wouldn’t be the least bit offended if Lamar Jackson were available in later rounds the Bears made a ‘go ‘ for him.  I like that he can potentially play both QB and WR and I’m still not convinced Trubisky is the answer.