What would you do at QB?

DABEARSDABOMB

48 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Lets not forget - we have DeFillipo as QB coach - and he was Wentz QB coach when Wentz was at his best.  I'd say Nagy has some pretty good inside info from that perspective on Wentz as well.  Additionally - the other team rumored to be on Wentz is the Colts....yes the same Colts team with Reich as HC, who worked extremely closely with Wentz back when Wentz was at his peak. 

It is kind of odd - but to me fact that Bears/Colts are in - with 2 people who worked pretty closely with said player - would tell me they don't think that highly of Pederson's opinion or have enough inside info to tell you the dumpster fire that the Eagles were.  

Forgot about Flip, good insight-thanks!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, jason said:

The thing that worries me the most about Wentz is the wrist. I broke mine two years ago, and despite surgery it has never felt right. There are a bunch of little bones in there, and it takes a lot of luck to get back to the original starting point. And he's had several injuries. If he was so good before last year, why did he regress last year? It's likely an accumulation of injuries. Read this take and form your own opinion:

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-carson-wentz-concussion-andrew-brandt-20201124.html

I just have a hard time over focusing on 2020. I can pretty easily make a long list of excuses to account for Wentz having the year he did (it was a historic regression - so it isn't like we have a sample size to evaluate bounce backs).  But between 14 different starters on oline, no receivers, disgruntled & ugly offensive coaches, and throw in COVID protocol and oddities and that is a good starting point.  

He threw picks like he has never done in his entire career. Past 3 seasons - he was top 5 in terms of interception percentage. So nothing about his past would say he is a turnover machine (at least not from an INT perspective - he fumbles the ball a TON - which is a concern).  

Heard a beat reporter from Philly on the SCORE this morning and he stated that Philly just wants to start over, new coach, they like Hurts and not really bad mouthing everyone involved in the mess. He liked Pederson, Wentz, just fell apart and the brass want new. He said what's wrong with Wentz is all in his head, lost confidence and tried to do to much. He said a new start would be good for Wentz but it doesnt guarantee anything. Our problem is Pace. Always chasing what he missed in the draft. WR= pay Allen Robinson. MT and Foles= not go after Wentz. Floyd didnt look like the guy so they got Mack. Turns out Floyd ended up being better this year than any of our guys. 

1 hour ago, jason said:

The thing that worries me the most about Wentz is the wrist. I broke mine two years ago, and despite surgery it has never felt right. There are a bunch of little bones in there, and it takes a lot of luck to get back to the original starting point. And he's had several injuries. If he was so good before last year, why did he regress last year? It's likely an accumulation of injuries. Read this take and form your own opinion:

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-carson-wentz-concussion-andrew-brandt-20201124.html

Yeah I broke my wrist twice (non dominant hand) and you're spot on, no amount of repair or healing has helped it to feel just right.  I can't imagine if it was in my right hand how that would complicate things like throwing; yet his was on his non-throwing side so again not sure if that figures in. I've also never benefited from the marvels of science at the disposal of NFL teams these days.  As I sit here now I'm on week 8 of a broken left fibula and just started to walk with my walking boot a few weeks back...but then I'm also almost 51 and way removed from my more athletic years... lol. Then you have Alex Smith who nearly had his leg amputated and came back to the win the "Return Player of the Year" this season.  

I think with injuries you fall into two categories.  Players like RGIII or Drew Brees.  On the one hand you have RGIII who I think was projecting upward until he started getting injured more in the NFL and his career sorta derailed after it.  Especially when his strongest attribute, his legs, were impaired.  Where with Brees and his multiple injuries this year not withstanding, he's had a few significant injuries to his throwing shoulder (2005 labrum tear and 2015 rotator cuff tear) and still has been able to do what he's done.

With Wentz the number of injuries in the relative short span is concerning.  The one common denominator to Wentz and RGIII are the concussions which may or may not be a huge factor; RGIII has so far had three to Wentz' one - and for reference Jay Cutler had four in his career. I'd have to think if anything the concussion may have played into his regression.  Especially knowing it was at the end of last season.  Concussions are indeed a dangerous and unpredictable animal.      

Honestly I'm just not confident Pace and Nagy will make the right call in trading for a QB.  Mainly it is their desperation that has me on edge that they will likely way over pay for a veteran QB.  In the end I hope the deals don't work our and Pace is forced to pick the best QB and OT's available in the Rounds 1 - 3. 

2 hours ago, ParkerBear7 said:

Honestly I'm just not confident Pace and Nagy will make the right call in trading for a QB.  Mainly it is their desperation that has me on edge that they will likely way over pay for a veteran QB.  In the end I hope the deals don't work our and Pace is forced to pick the best QB and OT's available in the Rounds 1 - 3. 

If the trade results in a QB we can cut or trade after next year with no cap penalty, then your fears are mitigated. For example, Wentz's situation. And as long as no future picks are used to get him, then what you (and I) worry about cant be a problem.

Here are my concerns with bringing in Carson Wentz:

Pace:  he values winning the trade over other teams, not simply winning the trade.  His impatience and overconfidence are crippling to this process.

Nagy:  give this guy a new toy and he's back to play calling again.  Nagy is far too undisciplined as a play caller to succeed at this point in his career.  Plus, he'll get Wentz killed trying to make his big plays work, which segways to...

Wentz:  if the knock on him is that he's not coachable, try getting smacked in the mouth and having a whacko call plays for you to see if that makes it better.

With Nagy and Pederson's relationship, plus DeFlip's knowledge of Wentz, I think the Bears would be in the best position to make a decision on Wentz than any other team. So if they don't have full confidence in him, I doubt the Bears trade for him. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

With Nagy and Pederson's relationship, plus DeFlip's knowledge of Wentz, I think the Bears would be in the best position to make a decision on Wentz than any other team. So if they don't have full confidence in him, I doubt the Bears trade for him. 

Question:  what do you think the catalyst was for Pedersen getting fired?  Just the general disarray of the team or that he flopped on the replacing of Wentz with Hurts?  If it’s the second reason I wonder whether his credibility is intact enough to give the Bears a good assessment of Wentz’ ability?  Allegedly before he was fired he said he wanted Wentz to return as the starter next year. Which leads me to believe why not only was he fired but why the Eagles are willing to let Wentz go for only peanuts.  And really the year they won the SB was with Foles, not Wentz.  

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Question:  what do you think the catalyst was for Pedersen getting fired?  Just the general disarray of the team or that he flopped on the replacing of Wentz with Hurts?  If it’s the second reason I wonder whether his credibility is intact enough to give the Bears a good assessment of Wentz’ ability?  Allegedly before he was fired he said he wanted Wentz to return as the starter next year. Which leads me to believe why not only was he fired but why the Eagles are willing to let Wentz go for only peanuts.  And really the year they won the SB was with Foles, not Wentz.  

The Eagles may just be looking to draft a QB int he first round this year. Maybe they never loved Wentz, and were disappointed in how Pederson developed Jalen Hurts, and maybe the management wanted someone other than Hurts, and Pederson won that argument on the basis that he was the QB whisperer, and now they want to sent Wentz while he still has value, and use their 6th overall pick to take another shot at QB, and maybe they wanted the new coach to be the one to make that choice.

That would explain why Wentz wants out now too.

It’s been a mess over in Philly.  Lots of blame and speculation and pointing fingers. Sometimes it’s best for a player like Wentz and the Eagles to part ways. And have a change of scenery. As NYC pointed out they have the 6th overall pick so they could take a swing at QB and have him and Hurts comete for the starting spot. 

Of the trade options he could be the least risky if we can get him without giving up future picks. I’d be fine with it. Especially if we are able to also address the line and WR plus ad depth at other positions of need. If it woks out with him here you keep him and if it doesn’t you can cut him. In which case it likely means we have a new GM and HC to make the decision. 

5 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

The Eagles may just be looking to draft a QB int he first round this year. Maybe they never loved Wentz, and were disappointed in how Pederson developed Jalen Hurts, and maybe the management wanted someone other than Hurts, and Pederson won that argument on the basis that he was the QB whisperer, and now they want to sent Wentz while he still has value, and use their 6th overall pick to take another shot at QB, and maybe they wanted the new coach to be the one to make that choice.

That would explain why Wentz wants out now too.

Picking another QB in the draft this year after the promise Hurts showed this year? That would be moronic. Are they getting advice from the Bears' front office?

One thing if the Bears do trade for Wentz is they are off the hook for his guaranteed money.  That accelerates and is on the Eagles to pay.  Wentz may hold out until he gets a new contract or the Bears may avoid it like they did with Foles by giving him a new contract right away. Since the word is out that the Eagles and Wentz both want to move on and Wentz has had injury and performance issues, the trade commodity value is lower.  I would guess the value is a 1st and the Bears can offer Foles and say Miller.  

18 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Great question, I have no clue. That situation just seemed like a difference in opinion between management and coaching. Which is hard to overcome. 

Outside of 2020, Wentz has been a top 12 QB.  In 2017, he had the highest QBR in the league, then finished 12th and 11th in 2018 and 2019. So it is not like he hasn't performed well outside of 2017. 

On 2/8/2021 at 7:10 PM, Mongo3451 said:

c.f.Screenshot_20210208-185904_Chrome.jpg

Let's let this sink in for a minute...

Except that in our current situation it's not as simple as just choosing to pursue Watson vs Wentz.  Watson would require more than we can realistically offer, where as Wentz is more within reach.  The two options are miles apart in cost. On draft day 2017 yes it would have been simple to sit at #3 and take Watson, and we possibly aren't having this conversation.  At the end of the the mistake of giving up way too much to move up one spot to take Mitch when he'd have likely still been there at 3, and now here in 2021 we're looking at a trade to try and correct that mistake.  

5 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

Except that in our current situation it's not as simple as just choosing to pursue Watson vs Wentz.  Watson would require more than we can realistically offer, where as Wentz is more within reach.  The two options are miles apart in cost. On draft day 2017 yes it would have been simple to sit at #3 and take Watson, and we possibly aren't having this conversation.  At the end of the the mistake of giving up way too much to move up one spot to take Mitch when he'd have likely still been there at 3, and now here in 2021 we're looking at a trade to try and correct that mistake.  

This is true. The most I could handle the Bears doing is if they traded their 1st+Foles and Miller for Wentz, Ertz and the Eagles 2nd. I'd try to get a 4th from Philly as well, so that the Bears have 2 2nds and a pick in every round after that. 

Let's not sit here and pretend that had the Bears taken Watson or Mahomes that either would be any good. We saw what Mahomes looked like on SB Sunday with a shite OL. 

At this point and after hearing Wentz would prefer Indy over Chicago, I’m ok with bowing out of trying to get him.  Really for him the better of the two scenarios are with the Colts.  

The Bears should focus more on the oline and other needs (like on defense). And aim lower for a capable QB like Mariota. I saw a brief mention of him being available in some capacity. Whatever ends up happening the Bears need to draft a QB in the later rounds if not 1st or 2nd.  

6 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

At this point and after hearing Wentz would prefer Indy over Chicago, I’m ok with bowing out of trying to get him.  Really for him the better of the two scenarios are with the Colts.  

The Bears should focus more on the oline and other needs (like on defense). And aim lower for a capable QB like Mariota. I saw a brief mention of him being available in some capacity. Whatever ends up happening the Bears need to draft a QB in the later rounds if not 1st or 2nd.  

How much better is Wentz than Rivers?

Why do we want to keep spending our future to repair our past mistakes?  We had the chance to draft multiple players and for one reason or another did not.  Thats in the past. They should focus on the future and try and get the next player for the Bears no matter what the position is. Stop chasing your former mistakes.  Their is no QB who is going to take this roster any farther than it has already been in the last four years.

I hate to see them trade future or multiple picks. Now if all they traded was this year's first for Wentz, then I could consider.  Not saying they should or should not do this trade but they would have to do some homework.  If we are only talking QBs with the 1st, we have to put Wentz, Mac Jones, and Kyle Trask under the scope since those are the consensus options at this time. I'd take Wentz over Trask and could gamble on Jones if he makes it to 20. The Joy's of a Bears fan and the endless chore of searching for a QB

If we trade our #1 this year for Wentz, we get a guy we can trade next year if the next GM doesnt want him with no cap hit, and get our first rounder back and more.

Because there is no guaranteed money, this first rounder is recyclable, and if he plays well, he'd be worth even more. Remember we would be giving Foles too, so the next GM could get a first and more, maybe even 2 firsts for him.

This is a pretty good move in my opinion. He can be traded or cut at any time with no penalty, no matter what happens.

In the last 60 years how many picks has this team traded away for some so called starter???    Lets stop the insanity and just begin from scratch.   Draft someone every year.  Hit or miss just keepThis team has chased doing it every year.  Show me how that is not better than what they have done in the last 60 years???

This team has chased every QB from every team for decades.   Where has it gotten us.   OH, where we are now!!!