Bears Free Agency 2021

ASHKUM BEAR

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent article! I couldn't agree more with the author. Dalton is certainly good enough to get us to the playoffs, assuming they retool the offense and field a top ten defense. Many want to write off the 2021-22 Bears. I'm waiting to see what else Pace does in FA and the draft before I go that far.

25 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Excellent article! I couldn't agree more with the author. Dalton is certainly good enough to get us to the playoffs, assuming they retool the offense and field a top ten defense. Many want to write off the 2021-22 Bears. I'm waiting to see what else Pace does in FA and the draft before I go that far.

yes, even I, very pessimistic about Nagy and Pace, agree with that.

Given the extra deep and cheap free agency expected for this year, anything can happen. There are bright spots on the roster.

But looking at tape, Dalton isnt very good. Even his highlights look labored, slow. But I think he does know how to read a defense well. He is basically the anti Trubisky. Still half a player, but the exact opposite half to Trubisky. He has a good QB brain, and not much physical talent.

If we run the ball, and play defense, and if Nagy is disciplined as a play caller and a game planner, we could potentially play possession ball and support a defense. We will still need more FA help too, but there should be options available.

If they take a QB in the draft, the possible ceiling rises, and if we are looking like an up and coming offense with the rookie, we won't even mind just missing the playoffs, or exiting early, and be excited for next year.

But the stars would have to align perfectly for Dalton to be the starter on a Bears team that wins a playoff game, no less makes a run.

Wouldnt it be great if a first or second round QB (Mond?) turned out to be a baller for us? I'm really not enjoying being the pessimist. I never was one before about the Bears, and Im not one in my regular life either. But this has been really hard to watch, and while Dalton may be our best option available, and present a different kind of limited puzzle piece for Nagy to work with, he isn't a very good QB.

If we run the ball, and play defense, and if Nagy is disciplined as a play caller and a game planner, we could potentially play possession ball and support a defense. We will still need more FA help too, but there should be options available.

Totally agree, Dalton is not a QB that will win  games for you, but he could prevent us from losing a few. 

Right now the only think missing is Fuller . We have yet to sign a S but Gibson or an improvement is still out there to obtain. Trufant plus a couple more additions will help replace Fuller. Goldman is back . Johnson, Nichols, Smith should take a step forward. Quinn and EJAC cant be as bad as they were last year. 

8 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Totally agree, Dalton is not a QB that will win  games for you, but he could prevent us from losing a few. 

Right now the only think missing is Fuller . We have yet to sign a S but Gibson or an improvement is still out there to obtain. Trufant plus a couple more additions will help replace Fuller. Goldman is back . Johnson, Nichols, Smith should take a step forward. Quinn and EJAC cant be as bad as they were last year. 

we are going to need to run the ball, and move people on the OL.

Some FAs I would like to see come here.

CB- Gareon Conley or Bashurd Breeland or A J Boyue

RB-Duke Johnson or Damien Williams

SS- Gibson should be the choice but literally 10 out there that would be okay.

WR- Snead or Damarcus Robinson or Kenny Stills

TE-  Tyler Kroft

3 hours ago, Pixote said:

Dalton is certainly good enough to get us to the playoffs, assuming they retool the offense and field a top ten defense.

Agreed.  I was a bit upset when I saw this first occur.  But after reading more about it, I don’t feel nearly as bad about it.  I think Adam put up some side by side statistical comparisons to Cutler and he is pretty close to his career averages with 2 less years in the league.  And that include 8 (?) years with a less than stellar team in Cincy.  One he was able to get to the playoffs a few times.  So maybe all is not lost.  

28 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Looks as though the Bears are close to a deal with OL-man Elijah Wilkenson.  Formerly of the Broncos.  

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2021/3/23/22346765/report-chicago-bears-to-sign-offensive-lineman-denver-broncos-elijah-wilkinson

That's a good depth move, but I'm going to be shitty if Pace doesn't draft an OL in the first two rounds when this is a prime year for them.

14 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's a good depth move, but I'm going to be shitty if Pace doesn't draft an OL in the first two rounds when this is a prime year for them.

agree. I think the odds are high that our first two picks go OL and QB, not sure which order, and whether we will have to trade up to get one or both.

33 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Maybe a reason for Leno to move on so NY doesn’t have to eat anymore crow?  Lol.  

nah he's more of a right tackle from what I read. And anyway, the crow Im eating is just how stupid Pace is, so Im good with that :)

20 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

nah he's more of a right tackle from what I read. And anyway, the crow Im eating is just how stupid Pace is, so Im good with that :)

Hell, that ain’t crow...that’s “fact” Jack.  

I’m with you though, Leno doesn’t pass the ‘eye test’ to me.  Found this interesting article on FB which makes a compelling point:  https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2021/03/22/this-is-a-charles-leno-jr-appreciation-post/?fbclid=IwAR1ij0hxoNKy-2ghbnUEuWGXunL7-Mld5KNZOgJOjd8ib5f_PFGBoDtK3xQ

43 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Hell, that ain’t crow...that’s “fact” Jack.  

I’m with you though, Leno doesn’t pass the ‘eye test’ to me.  Found this interesting article on FB which makes a compelling point:  https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2021/03/22/this-is-a-charles-leno-jr-appreciation-post/?fbclid=IwAR1ij0hxoNKy-2ghbnUEuWGXunL7-Mld5KNZOgJOjd8ib5f_PFGBoDtK3xQ

LOL Grizzly, it sure is!

I think the problem with Leno is that these stats all grade how well he handles the guy he engages with. But the myriad of times he took the wrong guy, and double teamed with the LG, while letting someone go free doesnt show up in this stat. What they see is that the guy Leno mistakenly took didnt get in, and of course not because it was a double team. If thats the case, and he is just grading out average even with double teaming help, then he is actually one of the worst OTs in the league. And he is one of the worst OTs in the league.

Week in and week out, he blocked the wrong guy and got no movement / didnt provide protection.

Weve seen our QBs running from free blockers, weve seen running bakcs encounter first contact at or behind the line of scrimmage.

Hopefully Pace sees this and will do something about it, but, I wont BET that he will again, because I was totally wrong about that. I bet that wasnt as dumb as he now seems to be.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Jones in for a visit:

Sounds like they have since signed him.  I'm good with it.  I was always a fan when he was with the team before.  I seem to recall his better days were playing OLB in Florida State and couldn't figure out why he kept getting put on ILB duty when he was in Chicago before.  Even though  his most productive year was with the Bears in 2017 (90 tackles) ... as an ILB.  So what do I know?  lol.  Still think at this point of his career he's more a depth/rotational player.  

13 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

LOL Grizzly, it sure is!

I think the problem with Leno is that these stats all grade how well he handles the guy he engages with. But the myriad of times he took the wrong guy, and double teamed with the LG, while letting someone go free doesnt show up in this stat. What they see is that the guy Leno mistakenly took didnt get in, and of course not because it was a double team. If thats the case, and he is just grading out average even with double teaming help, then he is actually one of the worst OTs in the league. And he is one of the worst OTs in the league.

Week in and week out, he blocked the wrong guy and got no movement / didnt provide protection.

Weve seen our QBs running from free blockers, weve seen running bakcs encounter first contact at or behind the line of scrimmage.

Hopefully Pace sees this and will do something about it, but, I wont BET that he will again, because I was totally wrong about that. I bet that wasnt as dumb as he now seems to be.

To be honest I think he improved after Mufister took over. We signed Wilkenson but he just replaces Spriggs as the swing OT.  We sign Jones who is a better backup than what we have on the roster and I seen where DHC is coming back at S .

So I assumed that Wilkenson will compete at RT, becasue that's what all the articles said, but in looking for highlight film ont he guy (which i didnt find) I found some articles about how he was competing to be the starting LT last year in Denver. So hmmmm. What does it mean? I surely dont know more than the sportswriters do.

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

So I assumed that Wilkenson will compete at RT, becasue that's what all the articles said, but in looking for highlight film ont he guy (which i didnt find) I found some articles about how he was competing to be the starting LT last year in Denver. So hmmmm. What does it mean? I surely dont know more than the sportswriters do.

Most of the posts/replies I’ve seen from Broncos fans seem to suggest he is better at G than T, for what it’s worth. 

18 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Most of the posts/replies I’ve seen from Broncos fans seem to suggest he is better at G than T, for what it’s worth. 

right, a run blocker more than a pass blocker, but since we have guards, the sportswriters say he will compete for RT, but he was up for LT last year in Denver, so who knows. One wonders if the team even knows yet, or if theyre just getting bodies and will play musical chairs again this year like last year :(

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Sounds like they have since signed him.  I'm good with it.  I was always a fan when he was with the team before.  I seem to recall his better days were playing OLB in Florida State and couldn't figure out why he kept getting put on ILB duty when he was in Chicago before.  Even though  his most productive year was with the Bears in 2017 (90 tackles) ... as an ILB.  So what do I know?  lol.  Still think at this point of his career he's more a depth/rotational player.  

Yep and I actually liked him when the Bears let him walk. Productive rotational player who will help on Special Teams too. 

If we don't lose Hicks, I like our front 7 with Goldman coming back. 

10 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

right, a run blocker more than a pass blocker, but since we have guards, the sportswriters say he will compete for RT, but he was up for LT last year in Denver, so who knows. One wonders if the team even knows yet, or if theyre just getting bodies and will play musical chairs again this year like last year :(

I think the Bears think they got a OL that can play several different  positions which works out very well as a backup.

• adam pinned and featured this topic
  • adam unpinned this topic