Leno Released

dawhizz

I know there are a lot of haters on Leno and he’s certainly had his struggles, but this makes the O-line worse going into the year. I don’t have confidence in Jenkins as your day 1 LT but there aren’t really any other options unless they sign Eric Fisher to a cheaper contract or something. 

NY bears wins the lottery today. To be honest,  Leno was the mainstay of mediocrity on this team,  now that he's gone,  we can move to a new stage of beardome become a better team. I would much rather have a player that will ascend than a player that can only get worse.  Goodbye mediocrity. 

55 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

I know there are a lot of haters on Leno and he’s certainly had his struggles, but this makes the O-line worse going into the year. I don’t have confidence in Jenkins as your day 1 LT but there aren’t really any other options unless they sign Eric Fisher to a cheaper contract or something. 

I am assuming they may still look at a veteran to join them, they have just decided that they will no longer continue to run Leno out there.  I kind of commend them on this as they are focused on fixing the parts that they aren't happy with. I will still say - Leno was an excellent pick - getting what they got out of a 7th rounder is a huge win.  

8 minutes ago, lemonej said:

I called this one in my mock after I picked Jenkins at 20

I also think both Miller and Trevathan will be gone

If Danny T didn't have all that dead money tied with cutting him - I would agree. But at this point - I think the net savings just isn't worth getting rid of a solid 1st/2nd down LB. That said - he fell off a cliff last year. I'm hoping somehow we see a bit more speed - but you usually don't get faster when you get older.  

Miller - I don't see them just cutting him.  If they can get a conditional pick - sure, but at this point, maybe see how he does with the new QB's.  

For me , it's a statement of we are moving on from mediocrity and looking to be a better team. Leno was always ( he's not that bad) , for me,  he's not that good. A stud OT will have some bumps along the way but he will get better,  not decline to be worse.  That was all we could hope from Leno.  Plus, we needed the money.  

5 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

If Danny T didn't have all that dead money tied with cutting him - I would agree. But at this point - I think the net savings just isn't worth getting rid of a solid 1st/2nd down LB. That said - he fell off a cliff last year. I'm hoping somehow we see a bit more speed - but you usually don't get faster when you get older.  

Miller - I don't see them just cutting him.  If they can get a conditional pick - sure, but at this point, maybe see how he does with the new QB's.  

Cutting Trevathan will cost us an additional 9 mil, right now he's a 5 mil cap hit. We would save nothing.  He played a lot better the second half of the season.  I think covid affected his preperation for the season which cost him a slow start. Besides he is one of leaders of the defense. 

Everything I've read about Jenkins is super positive. His nasty demeanor. His ability to pass protect, only giving up 2 sacks his entire career. His ability to run block, a road grater. His ability to pull. His ability to go to the 2nd level and block LBs downfield.

The one thing I have read about is: Does he get called for a lot of penalties?

I'm just curious as that was one thing that really pissed ne off about Leno.

3 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Cutting Trevathan will cost us an additional 9 mil, right now he's a 5 mil cap hit. We would save nothing.  He played a lot better the second half of the season.  I think covid affected his preperation for the season which cost him a slow start. Besides he is one of leaders of the defense. 

Exactly - while he got burned in coverage last year - the leadership and other abilities (good in run, etc) and to your point, bounce back is possible on the pass side too (I don't expect him to be good - but even just some improvement would be huge).  Feels like too much to get rid of him now - and to your point - for what benefit?  

1 minute ago, Stinger226 said:

He played a lot better the second half of the season.  I think covid affected his preperation for the season which cost him a slow start. Besides he is one of leaders of the defense. 

Yeah agreed.  He did come on late in the year and although he isn't nearly as fast as Smith is nor as he once was I see him as an equal player to Jones. There isn't much in the way of depth on the team and they didn't really address it in the draft so I suspect they are relatively comfortable with who's there.  

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

I agree Jenkins may not be ready, but perhaps this year is the graduate school he will need, even if it comes at a cost. As Stinger said, this is an ascending player.

I gotta say this sure feels like Nagy and Pace feel like they can build and not "win now"

I do fault them for seeing this a year (or two) late though. If you watched his tape, rather than just the games, you see he was ALL over the place. Not just getting beat, but consistently blocking the wrong man. That's stuff pee wee players can do.

He was a huge part of the overall problem with this team.

And yet I am surprised they did it this quickly. If they get a guy like Fisher to come in, that'd be great.

But you know what? If they put Jenkins in there day one, and he makes a few mistakes, hell, Leno was making lots them too. I bet Jenkins, rookie mistakes and all, will be an instant upgrade.

This was one of the easiest ways to gain cap space and not lose too much in terms of performance. They can now sign the entire rookie class and have a few million to bring on a couple of vets at the vet minimum. 

6 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

I agree Jenkins may not be ready, but perhaps this year is the graduate school he will need, even if it comes at a cost. As Stinger said, this is an ascending player.

I gotta say this sure feels like Nagy and Pace feel like they can build and not "win now"

I do fault them for seeing this a year (or two) late though. If you watched his tape, rather than just the games, you see he was ALL over the place. Not just getting beat, but consistently blocking the wrong man. That's stuff pee wee players can do.

He was a huge part of the overall problem with this team.

And yet I am surprised they did it this quickly. If they get a guy like Fisher to come in, that'd be great.

But you know what? If they put Jenkins in there day one, and he makes a few mistakes, hell, Leno was making lots them too. I bet Jenkins, rookie mistakes and all, will be an instant upgrade.

I hate to say I like seeing you happy besides it was the right thing to do.  If we are going to be a better team,  we can't continue to accept mediocrity.  A rookie will make some mistakes but by the end of the season,  you will have a good player going forward.  Does anyone remember,  did Quinton Nelson sit his first year? Hell no. 

9 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I hate to say I like seeing you happy besides it was the right thing to do.  If we are going to be a better team,  we can't continue to accept mediocrity.  A rookie will make some mistakes but by the end of the season,  you will have a good player going forward.  Does anyone remember,  did Quinton Nelson sit his first year? Hell no. 

you're totally right, and whatever mistakes Jenkins makes won't be more than Leno would have made. So keeping him doesn't really buy you anything I guess.

I do admit I was surprised they were this bold. Glad to see it. A little late, but glad to see it.

I can say this: this team will be fun to watch. There will be lots of stories and developments to follow.

I wonder if the defense is going to wake up with Goldman back, and an offense that should score enough to make the games worth fighting for.

I absolutely think we are a better team than last year.  I think the CB situation works out.  Trufant,  Tre Robinson,  Artie Burns.  Remember that last year Burns had beat out Johnson until he got hurt. Also I think Vidor makes a significant step forward,  plus Shelley is in the mix.

I just hope we have a pass rush again with Goldman back. I need to see Mack get back to form, and someone has to get pressure from the other side.

There is reason for optimism, but I want to see it on the field.

17 hours ago, Pixote said:

Everything I've read about Jenkins is super positive. His nasty demeanor. His ability to pass protect, only giving up 2 sacks his entire career. His ability to run block, a road grater. His ability to pull. His ability to go to the 2nd level and block LBs downfield.

The one thing I have read about is: Does he get called for a lot of penalties?

I'm just curious as that was one thing that really pissed ne off about Leno.

That's probably my only concern about Jenkins and Borom.  They both like to play hard whistle to whistle and sometimes pushing that boundary.  That's something the staff will have to be on them about keeping it within the rules.  I feel like that comes with the nasty mentality they both have.  Finding that balance may be a learning curve.  I love the nastiness and aggression in an OL way better than the passive reactionary types we've rolled out there.  The battle for the line of scrimmage usually goes to the aggressor.  Be aggressive but be smart.

As for the Leno cut I think it was the right move and half expected it.  But, out of curiosity I thought I read somewhere that we would have saved more cap space had it been a June 1st cut.  I was expecting the cut but not this early.