I Hope Nagy and Pace are Gone...

Mongo3451

The same bad theme keeps cycling through my brain; Pace with another trade down, then a free agent overpay, Nagy with another dumb decision and so on.

In just this year, Pace has brought us Andy Dalton at the cost of Kyle Fuller.  While I agreed with the trade for Fields, the 'meh' was for trading yet another pick for Jenkins when we could have gotten a tackle with our pick.(but no, he falls in love with certain players)  He simply could have kept Trubisky on a cheap deal, kept Fuller, drafted Fields and we'd be stronger.

Nagy is just Nagy.  He is and will be remembered as the Wile E Coyote of coaches.  He gets all of the ACME products to make the perfect rocket and 🚀 💥!  Then he has a real life sidekick that seems to quietly produce and yet Nagy sees it and says, "I can improve upon that!"  So what happens, decline.  Yet again, he had a whole off season to see Lasor was better for him and the team, but decides he is best.  Then he lands at the bottom of the cliff to fight again another day.  I'm just over it.

Also, I truly believe they are using the development of Justin Fields to buy another year in 2022.  I can hear them telling the brass, "wait till next year, it's gonna be just like Mahomes.  Matt knows how it was done."

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pace trading for Fields is a huge plus for him as of today.  If Fields fails then that is the nail in his coffin.  Nagy can earn his plus by developing Fields or just by winning.  If the Bears lose bad, then they should first hire the GM and allow him to decide Nagys fate.  

I actually like both Pace and Nagy.

Pace just had the best draft that I can recall for decades. The only thing he needs to do now is to patch up our OL for this year and then go for a more permanent fix next year. I have to believe there will be OTs available after cuts on Tuesday. He has put together a fantastic group of WRs, TEs, RBs, and QBs to make this a legit offense. I think the defense is solid, although I worry a bit about DBs. I'm anxious to see what out new DC does with this group. (Making tackles would be nice. LOL)

Nagy hasn't had the players to run his "KC" offense until this year. I like him as a person. I like him as a HC. Now he needs to step up as a play caller with the skill players in position for him (hopefully the OL will come together.) His weakness, IMO, was he was unable to shift away from his "KC/Andy Reid" style offense to adjust to what he was given to work with (previous rosters). He was a one trick pony. He now has the speed and skill at RB, WR, and TE to implement his game. He as a decent QB in Dalton and a dynamic rookie in Fields. The time is NOW!

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

I actually like both Pace and Nagy.

Pace just had the best draft that I can recall for decades. The only thing he needs to do now is to patch up our OL for this year and then go for a more permanent fix next year. I have to believe there will be OTs available after cuts on Tuesday. He has put together a fantastic group of WRs, TEs, RBs, and QBs to make this a legit offense. I think the defense is solid, although I worry a bit about DBs. I'm anxious to see what out new DC does with this group. (Making tackles would be nice. LOL)

Nagy hasn't had the players to run his "KC" offense until this year. I like him as a person. I like him as a HC. Now he needs to step up as a play caller with the skill players in position for him (hopefully the OL will come together.) His weakness, IMO, was he was unable to shift away from his "KC/Andy Reid" style offense to adjust to what he was given to work with (previous rosters). He was a one trick pony. He now has the speed and skill at RB, WR, and TE to implement his game. He as a decent QB in Dalton and a dynamic rookie in Fields. The time is NOW!

What WRs? Robinson will be gone after this season so who do they have outside of Mooney? Mooney isn't a guarantee. 

4 hours ago, McGowan said:

What WRs? Robinson will be gone after this season so who do they have outside of Mooney? Mooney isn't a guarantee. 

Well, first off, I wouldn't be surprised if we managed to keep ARob.

Second, although there are no guarantees, Mooney certainly looks like a young player on the rise.

Then add Byrd, and Goodwin to the mix and you have the foundation of a damn good WR room.

8 hours ago, Pixote said:

Well, first off, I wouldn't be surprised if we managed to keep ARob.

Second, although there are no guarantees, Mooney certainly looks like a young player on the rise.

Then add Byrd, and Goodwin to the mix and you have the foundation of a damn good WR room.

I'll be shocked if Robinson wants to stay at this point. I'm also not sure it's the greatest idea to pay big bucks to a guy that will be on the wrong side of 30 next year. If anything, they could slap the franchise tag on him for a 3rd and final time and just pay him top money on a 1 year deal. In that case he probably made more money on the franchise tag than if they just signed him immediately after his contract expired. 

I also remember hearing, I believe it was on the NFL Network, that next year was going to be a big year for top tier free agent wide receivers hitting free agency. If that be the case, and the market is flooded with top tier WRs, it could be a buyers market.

5 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I also remember hearing, I believe it was on the NFL Network, that next year was going to be a big year for top tier free agent wide receivers hitting free agency. If that be the case, and the market is flooded with top tier WRs, it could be a buyers market.

I think Pace is well educated on the trends, and plays his hand right. He's blown it in terms of talent evaluation sometimes, but not in understanding the market.

12 hours ago, Bill said:

Our great coach Nagy comes up with this great words of wisdom.
"What are the why's, what are the why's. When we all understand what the whys are. What ever the whys are". I have lost what ever little faith I had in him. 6-11 this year.

I don't mind him as the HC, but we really need someone else calling the plays. He thinks he is smarter than he really is. Play design is important too and from what we have seen, his plays are very predictable. How many times did we see Patterson up the gut on 3rd and short? Wims in the game, run play, etc, etc. 

I now agree they both have to go.  I don't care if Fields becomes a HOF in the future.  Pace got lucky.  Every year he gives away draft picks and gets what in return?  This year alone he cut four picks, two from this draft?  For every two picks he gives up to move up he gets maybe  a good player.  I don't think he's gotten better than a 33% return on any draft over the last six years.  And that's not counting his crap rec. with FA's.

It's not uncommon for teams to cut late round draft picks. If they clear waivers, I'd be willing to bet Newsome & Graham are signed to the practice squad. I also think they both have a chance to be promoted to the 53 man roster in the future.

Yes, Pace is aggressive in the draft. Personally, I prefer that over his predecessor who was always trading back to accumulate extra picks which very seldom resulted in selections that made the team. Pace gambles. Rolls the dice. But I do believe he works his ass off to improve the team's talent level.

The current 53 man roster has 52 players brought in under Pace.  Pat O'Donnell is the only player left over from our previous GM. The Bears are comprised of some damn good players that were drafted. There are some damn good players on their team that were signed in free agency, 

This year will be critical in the evaluation of Pace and Nagy.

On 8/24/2021 at 8:36 AM, Mongo3451 said:

The same bad theme keeps cycling through my brain; Pace with another trade down, then a free agent overpay, Nagy with another dumb decision and so on.

In just this year, Pace has brought us Andy Dalton at the cost of Kyle Fuller.  While I agreed with the trade for Fields, the 'meh' was for trading yet another pick for Jenkins when we could have gotten a tackle with our pick.(but no, he falls in love with certain players)  He simply could have kept Trubisky on a cheap deal, kept Fuller, drafted Fields and we'd be stronger.

Nagy is just Nagy.  He is and will be remembered as the Wile E Coyote of coaches.  He gets all of the ACME products to make the perfect rocket and 🚀 💥!  Then he has a real life sidekick that seems to quietly produce and yet Nagy sees it and says, "I can improve upon that!"  So what happens, decline.  Yet again, he had a whole off season to see Lasor was better for him and the team, but decides he is best.  Then he lands at the bottom of the cliff to fight again another day.  I'm just over it.

Also, I truly believe they are using the development of Justin Fields to buy another year in 2022.  I can hear them telling the brass, "wait till next year, it's gonna be just like Mahomes.  Matt knows how it was done."

100%!!!!!!!!

On 8/31/2021 at 11:42 PM, Bill said:

I now agree they both have to go.  I don't care if Fields becomes a HOF in the future.  Pace got lucky.  Every year he gives away draft picks and gets what in return?  This year alone he cut four picks, two from this draft?  For every two picks he gives up to move up he gets maybe  a good player.  I don't think he's gotten better than a 33% return on any draft over the last six years.  And that's not counting his crap rec. with FA's.

Agree. I’m sick of the fact this clown falls in puppy love with 1-2 players every draft and can’t hold his load until the Bears pick. This team needs multiple players at multiple positions, not “good enough”-dudes because there is an absence of draft capital.

On 9/9/2021 at 10:40 PM, jason said:

Agree. I’m sick of the fact this clown falls in puppy love with 1-2 players every draft and can’t hold his load until the Bears pick. This team needs multiple players at multiple positions, not “good enough”-dudes because there is an absence of draft capital.

I'd like to think Nagy might be, at best, like Doug Collins for the Bulls.  We got Fields (Jordan - yeah, not fair comparison), but Nagy won't get him over the hump.  But, after thinking about it, Doug Collins is like Pat Riley compared to Nagy.  Nagy is a buffoon clown show.  Pace too. 

5 hours ago, madlithuanian said:

I'd like to think Nagy might be, at best, like Doug Collins for the Bulls.  We got Fields (Jordan - yeah, not fair comparison), but Nagy won't get him over the hump.  But, after thinking about it, Doug Collins is like Pat Riley compared to Nagy.  Nagy is a buffoon clown show.  Pace too. 

Punt is now the new word not in Nagys vocabulary.  It used to be Run. 

He did not do his D any favors either by going for it on 4th 4 times and failing on them all.  Fast way to lose faith from the D and it will spread to the O. 

Nagys best offensive season was his first and he has not shown any improvement and only regression.  

If Fields saves his job, I hope Fields puts him in his place on some of his game decisions.

On 8/29/2021 at 7:20 AM, Mongo3451 said:

Robinson is still in play.  The Bears can extend or franchise him for the second time.  My issue with Pace is that he's put us in the position to not have the ability to sign guys by doling out big free agent contracts because we don't have natural depth from the draft.

Agreed.  We keep pushing more money into the future which will limit us.

16 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Punt is now the new word not in Nagys vocabulary.  It used to be Run. 

He did not do his D any favors either by going for it on 4th 4 times and failing on them all.  Fast way to lose faith from the D and it will spread to the O. 

Nagys best offensive season was his first and he has not shown any improvement and only regression.  

If Fields saves his job, I hope Fields puts him in his place on some of his game decisions.

Bingo!  I think Feilds doesn't save his job, probably prolongs it a season more than it should. 

Nagy is too attached to a "system" in his head that could be pure fantasy.  Good HC's system is called adaptation.  Look at what Sean Payton is doing.  Billicheck.  Ravens.  They all change to fit the talent they have.  Not pining for some perfect planet aligning group of players that only exist in his mind.

3 hours ago, madlithuanian said:

Bingo!  I think Feilds doesn't save his job, probably prolongs it a season more than it should. 

Nagy is too attached to a "system" in his head that could be pure fantasy.  Good HC's system is called adaptation.  Look at what Sean Payton is doing.  Billicheck.  Ravens.  They all change to fit the talent they have.  Not pining for some perfect planet aligning group of players that only exist in his mind.

Amen

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

It appears some players are getting a bit restless already.  

The problem is Nagy is addicted to the smell of his own poop.  Even when he does the right thing and sees success...like giving the play calling to Lazor last year or running Monty this past week...he can't help but reach for that fix again!  Gotta get that poop back!  Gimme my playcalling back now and we don't need to run Monday when we have a bubble screen or can run Mooney up the gut!  Trickeration!  Look at me ma!  Smartest guy in the room!