Eberhaus Staff thread

Chitownhustla

1 hour ago, adam said:

I don't know what to make of him. The Giants WRs were terrible last year and Golladay was one of the worst. WR Coach has to shoulder some of the blame for that. Hopefully he is better than Furrey. 

Jake Fromm and Mike Glennon started 9 games at QB. Their stats are absolutely terrible. Daniel Jones the other 11, his stats were better but still not good. So i ask is it the QB, the WR's or the WR coach? 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Chitownhustla said:

Jake Fromm and Mike Glennon started 9 games at QB. Their stats are absolutely terrible. Daniel Jones the other 11, his stats were better but still not good. So i ask is it the QB, the WR's or the WR coach? 

That's what makes these evaluations so tough. Just have to trust the process and see what happens. On the flip side, I have seen a lot of praise for him as well. 

This is a good hire - Cousins had his best season last year (arguably) and he is relatively experienced.  Plus ties to Getsy - which is important. Consistent offensive philosophies can be key to unlocking a harmonized unit and I do think fact that he has coached both wideouts and QB's is helpful because there are important nuances to both that likely help in QB development.  

I also like fact that Getsy has a couple more experienced guys to go with fact this is his first time as OC in the NFL.  Caldwell still would have been my #1 but obviously very unrealistic.  

7 hours ago, adam said:

I don't know what to make of him. The Giants WRs were terrible last year and Golladay was one of the worst. WR Coach has to shoulder some of the blame for that. Hopefully he is better than Furrey. 

Look at the QBs they had last yr, Mike Glenn started 5 games. I also think Eddie Jackson could be a perfect fit for defense, if he becomes aggressive again. Matt values TOs.

This is where we are at:

GM: Ryan Poles (KC)
AGM: Ian Cunningham (PHI)

HC: Matt Eberflus (IND)

OC: Luke Getsy (GB)
QB: Andrew Janocko (MIN)
RB: 
WR: Tyke Tolbert (NYG)
TE: 
OL: Chris Morgan (PIT)

DC: Alan Williams (IND)
DL: 
LB: Dave Borgonzi (IND)
CB: 
S:
Ast. DB: David Overstreet (IND)

AST: 

I really like the diversity, already 7 different teams are represented with the worst team being the Giants, but like others have said, not much you can do with Daniel Jones, Glenneckon, and Fromm.

It will be interesting to see who the others end up being. Feels like a solid staff so far. 

On 2/3/2022 at 10:06 AM, adam said:

To be fair he dealt with a lot of injuries, the Giant's WR corp was the walking wounded.  Golladay was a dud FA signing (made me glad we didn't go after him).  You also have to factor in that their QB's were Daniel Jones and Mike Glennon.  Not exactly the best situation for WR's to flourish.   

1 hour ago, BearFan2000 said:

To be fair he dealt with a lot of injuries, the Giant's WR corp was the walking wounded.  Golladay was a dud FA signing (made me glad we didn't go after him).  You also have to factor in that their QB's were Daniel Jones and Mike Glennon.  Not exactly the best situation for WR's to flourish.   

This - the giants were injured. He has consistently developed wideouts before last year - including with the Giants and with the Broncos. He's a really really good get.  

2 hours ago, lemonej said:

So according to most reports all the hires on offense have ties to the Shanahan type offense.

The coaches on defense have ties to the 4-3 Cover 2 scheme that Eberflus ran in Indy

I think the key  to any offensive scheme is to adapt to your talent. That's why Nagy isn't here anymore, it was all scheme centric. His best yr was when he dumbed it down for Mitch.

52 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

This is where we are at:

RB: 
TE: 

DC: Alan Williams (IND)
DL: 
LB: Dave Borgonzi (IND)
CB: James Rowe (IND)
S:

The Bears have decimated the Colts defense, lol. Nagy brought 0 coaches with him from KC.

Besides not recognizing anyone on the staff I couldn’t help but notice more than one of them have backgrounds in both offense and defense.  This Rowe cat did some offense coaching while in the college ranks and I saw at least one or two others who had as well.  With the concept of being able to know what the other side might be doing and how to counter it, this seems to line up with Eburhus’ way of thinking.  And play into the concept of how Fields will benefit from having a defensive minded HC.  

25 minutes ago, adam said:

This is where we are at:

RB: 
TE: 

DL: 
LB: Dave Borgonzi (IND)
CB: James Rowe (IND)
S:

The Bears have decimated the Colts defense, lol. Nagy brought 0 coaches with him from KC.

That should have been our sign of things to come.  

Slowly Eberflus is filling out the coaching staff.  He just brought over James Rowe as DBs coach.  This is our most glaring need on defense and after reading this article I think we got the right coach for the job.  Everywhere he's gone the DBs have been very successful which means it's not about the athletic ability or talent, it's the preparation.  It would be interesting to see what he could do with Eddie Jackson but time is money (wins) and I don't think we can afford to watch that experiment.   

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/2/19/22286191/colts-cb-coach-james-rowe-the-smartest-coach-i-have-ever-been-around

Happened on this other story from a link in your story AZ. Its about Gus Bradley being hired to replace Eberhus as DC.  Noticed this quote about how the Colts d-line.  Maybe why the position is still vacant in Chicago?

The Colts’ defensive line struggled mightily to get after the opposing quarterback(s) for much of the 2021 season, as the team only had 33 total sacks. Only the Detroit Lions, Atlanta Falcons, Philadelphia Eagles, Kansas City Chiefs, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Houston Texans had fewer.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2022/2/4/22918243/colts-rumored-to-be-targeting-gus-bradley-for-vacant-defensive-coordinator-position

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Happened on this other story from a link in your story AZ. Its about Gus Bradley being hired to replace Eberhus as DC.  Noticed this quote about how the Colts d-line.  Maybe why the position is still vacant in Chicago?

The Colts’ defensive line struggled mightily to get after the opposing quarterback(s) for much of the 2021 season, as the team only had 33 total sacks. Only the Detroit Lions, Atlanta Falcons, Philadelphia Eagles, Kansas City Chiefs, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Houston Texans had fewer.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2022/2/4/22918243/colts-rumored-to-be-targeting-gus-bradley-for-vacant-defensive-coordinator-position

And they didn't have many great players on the line either, but that would make sense. If Flus thinks that was a weakness due to the coach, I am sure they will look elsewhere to fill.

6 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I am assuming it will eventually be Marinelli.

My confidence is lower on Rod. Bears got completely pants and ended up hiring a poor ST coach. They had 3 options, including Tabor, who were all top 10 ST coaches and they end up with a guy whose units have been mediocre to bad the past 5 years…including that #25 ranking this past year with Niners. 

And one of big reasons they missed on their #1 was Packers through more money his way. I can’t imagine it was big bucks given we are talking about special teams and there are no salary cap expectations. 

3 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

My confidence is lower on Rod. Bears got completely pants and ended up hiring a poor ST coach. They had 3 options, including Tabor, who were all top 10 ST coaches and they end up with a guy whose units have been mediocre to bad the past 5 years…including that #25 ranking this past year with Niners. 

And one of big reasons they missed on their #1 was Packers through more money his way. I can’t imagine it was big bucks given we are talking about special teams and there are no salary cap expectations. 

Who is Rod? Rod Marinelli? 

A poor ST Coach? Hightower is coming over from SF and that unit literally won the game for the 49ers against GB. A blocked FG and a blocked punt and TD in a playoff game?

Also, the Bears have better returners. SF had Trenton Cannon for KR and Brandon Aiyuk for PR. Herbert and Grant are a big upgrade. I am not worried about overall ST, that is dependent on kicker, punter, returners and coverage unit.

Here SF was 21st, Bears 11th:

https://www.lineups.com/nfl-team-rankings/special-teams

SF had the most kick returns by opponents which led to the most kick return yards. That was partially due to Gould not kicking into the end zone for a touchback. 

If you use averages, SF allowed 23.1 yds on kickoffs and the Bears allowed 21.4 (1.7 yds). For punts, SF had a net of 40.7 on punts and Bears had 38.5 (2.2 yds). So combined, SF had better coverage units by 0.5 yds. FGs? 49ers 84.4, Bears 86.7. The 49ers weakness was their returners, not necessarily the unit as a whole.  SF also had 3 takeaways on ST which was tied for the league lead.

This is where we are at:

RB: 
TE: Jim Dray (ARZ)

DL: Rod Marinelli?