Roster stuff

Alaskan Grizzly

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to Williams and I they were stretching his words a bit.  He did confirm Sanborn will get increased reps on defense but which position isn't known.  Others are getting a look there including Morrow who played that role in Oakland, and Joe Thomas.   

One thing that is interesting was Wiliams saying he expects we'll be playing a lot of base D (i.e. 3 LBs) in this game because Miami stays in their base offense a lot.  If that holds regardless of position we'll see a lot of Sanborn who is now listed as a starter on our depth chart.  Williams also said that stopping the run is job 1 for the D.  

Does that also mean less Vildor and more Gordon on the outside?  

12 hours ago, AZ54 said:

If that holds regardless of position we'll see a lot of Sanborn who is now listed as a starter on our depth chart.  Williams also said that stopping the run is job 1 for the D.  

Does that also mean less Vildor and more Gordon on the outside?  

On Sanborn, I’m good with whatever LB spot he plays.  Just would like to see him get more opportunities.  honestly I think Morrow has comparable speed to Smith so he might be better in that role.  

As far as Vildor, let’s just say I’m hoping to see more Gordon out there.  He’s steadily improving and isn’t quite the train wreck he was a few weeks ago.  

Lastly I noticed on one site they have Leatherwood as backup to Jenkins on the depth chart, and no where else.  But then they also had Jaylon Johnson listed as “out”.  

Morrow will stay at MLB, he is very fast and routinely takes TEs deep down the middle to take away the deep middle hole of cover 2, just like Urlacher used to.

Sandborn is another Kwitkowski - TONS of heart, but a step too slow. If we can scheme him from having to take anyone in man coverage, he will be ok, but as soon as formation dictates man coverage, he will get burned on drag routes, just like Kwitkowski.

But if we can keep him in zone, and tackling at the WLB spot, he can do that well. Eventually, he will be replaced, but he might be OK as a starter for the rest of this season.

Ex bears some people wanted to resign. 

Akiem Hicks   2 tackles, often injured

Alan Robinson   22-221-2

Larry Obunjobi   19 tackles 1/2 sack compared to Justin Jones 24 tackles 2 sacks (cheaper option may be better)

Poles seemed to make the right decision on some of these players.

Here is the players Poles picked up after the draft and FAgency period.

Harry/WR trade for  former first rounder that may be able to realize his potential here. 

Alex Leatherwood/ OT , picked up on waivers that has awesome measurables but havent lived up to his first round pick status.

Traded for Chase Claypool, great potential for our WR room

Claimed Tevon Wesco/TE off the Jets practice squad. Has become the 2nd TE and good on special teams.

Claimed Kellen Diesch/OT off of Miami's practice squad and after he gains some strength could be in the picture at OT going forward. 

Claimed Armon Watts/DT off of Minnys practice squad and is becoming our 2nd best IDL player

Claimed Sterling Weatherford/LB off of Colts practice squad , high upside

Joshua Blackwell/CB was picked up after being cut by Eagles and has contributed on special teams right away.

Claimed I S-M/WR off of Minnys practice squad. didnt work out

I think Poles has did a good job of adding to the roster after the season started, what say you?

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I would like to see Sterling Weatherford and see what he can do. A converted SS with speed 4.6 in the forty. 6' 4" 230.

Me too but his name didn't come up at all when the coaches were talking about the options.  It appears he'll first have to pay his dues by earning time on special teams.  

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think Poles has did a good job of adding to the roster after the season started, what say you?

I’d agree.  Another one id like to see in the rotation is Lb AJ Klein who came by way of the Roquan trade.  Right now he’s listed as backup to Sanborn but has a ton of experience.  Never know.  With the defense on the mediocre side right now to have him in would be more for late game views.  

I think our WR room may be pretty well set for next year barring a draft pick. Mooney, Jones Jr, and Claypool all have contracts for next yr. With Harry and ESB having potential, a draft pick may be all they need to add. I think when Pringle comes back he will be auditioning for a spot next yr. I doubt if Pettis comes back. None are #1s but that would still be a pretty strong WR room. Speed, height, and some good blockers. 

19 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I’d agree.  Another one id like to see in the rotation is Lb AJ Klein who came by way of the Roquan trade.  Right now he’s listed as backup to Sanborn but has a ton of experience.  Never know.  With the defense on the mediocre side right now to have him in would be more for late game views.  

God that was embarrassing. Roquan has been such a polarizing player on and off the field. On the field, he has great games, followed by terrible stinkers. Then off the field, great with the community, then does wild things with his contracts. 

If we can just get some consistency from our LBs with some better gap integrity and pass defense, the defense overall may actually be better. 

2 minutes ago, adam said:

God that was embarrassing. Roquan has been such a polarizing player on and off the field. On the field, he has great games, followed by terrible stinkers. Then off the field, great with the community, then does wild things with his contracts. 

If we can just get some consistency from our LBs with some better gap integrity and pass defense, the defense overall may actually be better. 

True, I dont see if being that much difference w/o Roquan. I think with him not being there, players will raise their game to cover their gap.

On 11/5/2022 at 6:13 AM, Stinger226 said:

Ex bears some people wanted to resign. 

Akiem Hicks   2 tackles, often injured

Alan Robinson   22-221-2

Larry Obunjobi   19 tackles 1/2 sack compared to Justin Jones 24 tackles 2 sacks (cheaper option may be better)

Poles seemed to make the right decision on some of these players.

Robinson is now 25-248-2 after that huge game 😅 His yards per game and yards per reception are actually down from last year. So funny.

I haven't heard Hicks name all season. 

7 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I’m guessing the reason the Bears let Mario Edwards Jr go was due to money. He sure looks good tonight against the Chiefs.  Has one sack and nearly a second soon after that.  

Yeah, he was always a decent player, just sort of a head case. 

Question on Claypool stat line.

No one expected much from Claypool in his first game since he didn't have much time to learn our playbook. (At least I didn't ;-))

So, my question is:

Fields went long to Claypool twice. Both times he was interfered with. One was called. The second, the ref had to be blind, the Miami defender was hugging Claypool like his teddy bear at bedtime. 

If Claypool hadn't been interfered with on those two passes, and he caught both (not even considering YAC) what would it resulted in his stat line? My guess is even w/o YAC, it would have been impressive for someone with less than a week to prepare.

Anyone know how many yards he would have had on those two throws if he caught them without interference and was tackled immediately?

7 hours ago, Pixote said:

Question on Claypool stat line.

No one expected much from Claypool in his first game since he didn't have much time to learn our playbook. (At least I didn't ;-))

So, my question is:

Fields went long to Claypool twice. Both times he was interfered with. One was called. The second, the ref had to be blind, the Miami defender was hugging Claypool like his teddy bear at bedtime. 

If Claypool hadn't been interfered with on those two passes, and he caught both (not even considering YAC) what would it resulted in his stat line? My guess is even w/o YAC, it would have been impressive for someone with less than a week to prepare.

Anyone know how many yards he would have had on those two throws if he caught them without interference and was tackled immediately?

First one was ~33yds.   Second one was 38yds so 71yds combined.   Claypool shows 13yds on stat line so he should have accounted for 84yds of "progress" for the offense.

Swift has the first one here at the 5min mark.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9J-dJYbwgc

8 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

First one was ~33yds.   Second one was 38yds so 71yds combined.   Claypool shows 13yds on stat line so he should have accounted for 84yds of "progress" for the offense.

Swift has the first one here at the 5min mark.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9J-dJYbwgc

Thanks, that would have been an awesome stat line for is debut. Then ad that to Field's passing stat line and it makes you realize just how amazing his game was against Miami.

Watching that video really fires me up. How in the hell could the refs not call that PI?

Then to see Brown drop that pass at the end of the video. So tired of all of the drops.

We had a chance to win that game!

6 hours ago, Pixote said:

Thanks, that would have been an awesome stat line for is debut. Then ad that to Field's passing stat line and it makes you realize just how amazing his game was against Miami.

Watching that video really fires me up. How in the hell could the refs not call that PI?

Then to see Brown drop that pass at the end of the video. So tired of all of the drops.

We had a chance to win that game!

It would be different if the ref had a bad line sight but he 5' away to the side, tat was perfect position to see it.