I Never Thought I Would Be Weary Of Mock Drafts!

lemonej

I have followed the draft long before social media but, this year is completely different. Every Blog I have clicked on several so called Bear fans are saying trade Fields and draft Bryce Young. First of all this QB would be like Tua in game 1 and why are these fans not thinking, we have a qb on a rookie deal, lets build the team and see who our QB is! 

Seeing all posts and comments on the Blogs and Posts has me drained right now! 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it depends on the trade offer. I assume we'd all trade Fields for four first round picks. Of course for the same reason, no one is offering four firsts for him either.

But even if you're not sold on Fields as a passer (yet?) I don't think any of the QBs this year's draft are that dominant.

Caleb Williams is coming out next year, and he is a much better NFL prospect, I think.

So even in the worst case scenario, you still keep Fields and give him 2023 with a line and some targets and see what kind of passer he becomes. I think he's gonna be great, but if he isn't, then you have a high pick in the 2024 draft.

If we get a 2024 first round pick in trading down this year, it increases the chances that we could replace Fields if he fails in 2023 with a top pick, and if Fields emerges the way a lot of think he will, then you are even better off to put talent around him. Marvin Harrison Jr for example?

So, even if you are cynical on Fields, I dont really see the point in drafting a new QB this year, rather than giving Fields 2023 before you have to make that decision, with a better QB prospect waiting in the wings.

long way of saying, even if one agrees with their feelings on Fields, dumping him now is still dumb. Well for less that four first rounders anyway LOL

I'm not that interested in a 5'10-5'11" QB.  Maybe I'm wrong and Young measures in at 6' even but until then I'm skeptical.  I've watched Kyler Murray struggle in the pocket quite often here in AZ and he has elite escapability that Young does not have, even though he is a very good athlete.  I think Murray's arm is better than Young's too but Young has a better mind for the game.  If I had to choose between these two QBs I'm taking Young.  He could turn out to be the next Drew Brees but it also took Brees 4 seasons to become the HoF player we know.   Fans don't even have that kind of patience with Fields.  

Levis interests me because his release and accuracy are pretty good but he can't read an entire field.  Fields can already get to 2nd/3rd/4th reads albeit a bit too slow.   Fields has elite escapability that Levis doesn't have.  I see no reason to start over from scratch. 

Stroud does interest me.  Watching how he handled the playoff game as his best targets went down and he still kept his team in the game.  While he's considered a pocket QB he showed some pretty good mobility and throws while on the run.  

Only the coaches know the work ethic and what Fields did both in the offseason to improve his mechanics as well as in-season to improve play recognition.  With that I'm on Poles side in that someone would have to clearly show they are hands down above Fields in talent.  It might not work out but we will use all these extra picks if we can trade down to build the rest of the team.  If in the end we have to add a QB we figure it out.  I think even then Justin can reach middle ground among NFL QBs which would be enough to win much like the 49ers are doing right now with Brock Purdy.  

40 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Stroud does interest me.  Watching how he handled the playoff game as his best targets went down and he still kept his team in the game.  While he's considered a pocket QB he showed some pretty good mobility and throws while on the run.  

Stroud is better than Young.  Maybe Levis too.

5 hours ago, lemonej said:

I have followed the draft long before social media but, this year is completely different. Every Blog I have clicked on several so called Bear fans are saying trade Fields and draft Bryce Young. First of all this QB would be like Tua in game 1 and why are these fans not thinking, we have a qb on a rookie deal, lets build the team and see who our QB is! 

Seeing all posts and comments on the Blogs and Posts has me drained right now! 

I don't read too much I to blogs on fb or Twit because many commentators  know little and only want to aggravate.  Many times, algorithms are set up to aggregate you because you spend more time reading comments making yourself angry.  

If the Bears feel the same as I do, you give Fields one more year.  You add around him to see if better talent helps him elevate.  If he does not progress, then  consider drafting QB in 2024.  That is why trading down is key this year to make sure they gain an additional 2024 1st rd pick. 

17 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

If the Bears feel the same as I do, you give Fields one more year.  You add around him to see if better talent helps him elevate.  If he does not progress, then  consider drafting QB in 2024.  That is why trading down is key this year to make sure they gain an additional 2024 1st rd pick. 

amen, and i expect Fields will end this discussion with his passing in 2023 :)

8 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I don't read too much I to blogs on fb or Twit because many commentators  know little and only want to aggravate.  Many times, algorithms are set up to aggregate you because you spend more time reading comments making yourself angry.  

Exactly my thoughts AB! Fields is still on his rookie deal and that gives the GM basically 2 off seasons to build before deciding on the 5th year option but, if there is not significant improvement in the passing game move on from Fields. I also like the thought of doing what the Niners did and take a 4 year starter or even a 5th year senior as a developmental prospect. I'm thinking Bennett, Hooker and the Minnesota QB who's name I can't remember that are all the same age as Fields.

I don't get the thinking of trading fields unless like PHX said someone gives you 4 firsts (not going to happen) or something you couldn't pass up.  Some people will aways be enamored with the shiny new thing.  Those of us long time Bears fans have longed for someone at the QB position that can be a playmaker, and a player you can win games with rather than in spite of or just a QB who can manage the game well enough not to lose it for you.  Let's face it the bar for QB excellence in Chicago has been set so low for so long.  

Enter Justin Fields who has made watching Bears games exciting again.  He presents a QB who defenses have to account for and scheme against.  When was the last time that was true for a Bears QB?  Sure he still has room to grow and develop, but we finally hav a dynamic player at this key position, surround him with better talent, and he takes that next step and now we have something going with a budding star at QB on his rookie deal.  Trading him away now, would be like hitting the reset, and gambling that the QB you draft is as good or better than Fields right now.  I don't see Poles doing this so I'm not concerned.  There's a lot of people on the inter webs who just like to stir stuff up.  Poles would have to be blown away by the offer to even consider.  

On 1/27/2023 at 5:15 AM, BearFan2000 said:

Enter Justin Fields who has made watching Bears games exciting again.  He presents a QB who defenses have to account for and scheme against.

When you watch Fields play it’s like having the same feeling you got when Hester was back to receive a KO or Punt return.   He may not make it to the endzone every time but he sure does make it exciting.

Pair that with the grit and leadership quality we’ve seen both when he’s been injured and insists on playing.  Or when a player has a tantrum (Claypool) and he’s there to calm him down and reassure us they’ll work together in the off-season to be better.  These are intangibles you can’t get from a lot of these young players (take Zach Wilson or Max Jones for example).  How do we know any of these “can’t miss QBs” coming up for the draft won’t be another Wilson, Jones or Lance.  If the Bears were to consider trading away a guy like Fields, regardless of the return they’d get, would be a fool’s errand. 

He’s on a rookie contract, needs more tools around him and has one hell of ceiling to get to yet.  

I agree 95%. I do think you give Fields weapons and protection, and he will ascend.

But he hasn't done it yet, so it's all a guess. Like I said, Im making the same guess with you, but I have to admit that until he does it on the field, it is just an assumption of things to come.

The other point is that you said you wouldn't trade Fields no matter what the compensation. There is a price for any player. If someone offered five first rounders for Fields, you'd have to take it. No one will of course. It's so lopsided that it both makes my example, and is something no team would ever do. What about four tho? Or three?

I agree with you guys. We are keeping Fields, and he will grow. I cant wait to see it.

But if you're a good GM, you have to chase down all the what-ifs.

Lastly, all the rumors about trading Fields are meant to force the Texans into the bidding battle with the Colts and other teams, to raise the price we get for the pick. I dont think they are serious. Not because there isnt a price we would take for Fields, but I dont see anyone offering it.

One interesting question is whether the Colts would offer more for Fields or for the #1 pick.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

The other point is that you said you wouldn't trade Fields no matter what the compensation. There is a price for any player. If someone offered five first rounders for Fields, you'd have to take it. No one will of course. It's so lopsided that it both makes my example, and is something no team would ever do. What about four tho? Or three?

I would think long and hard as to why another team would be so willing to bargain their future (even 3-4 1sts) if they were sure Justin was the real deal. Don’t know many GMs that would fall into the reverse version of being “49-ered” like Pace did for Trubisky. 

I agree this a lot of strategy to throw people off the scent and we gotta have something to talk about I suppose. 

19 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I would think long and hard as to why another team would be so willing to bargain their future (even 3-4 1sts) if they were sure Justin was the real deal. Don’t know many GMs that would fall into the reverse version of being “49-ered” like Pace did for Trubisky. 

I agree this a lot of strategy to throw people off the scent and we gotta have something to talk about I suppose. 

for sure. I dont see anyone offering what we'd need to make a deal like that at this point.

I suppose someone could argue that one of the three QBs is a cant miss superstar, but the consensus top pick is undersized and at best he is just what Fields was when we drafted him. And Fields has two NFL seasons under his belt now.

Unless some GM is just in love past the point of logic with Fields, or if the Bears scouts really think one of the rookies is a cant miss hall of famer, both of which seem extremely far fetched, we are keeping Fields - at least through 2023. After next year we will know what we have.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

for sure. I dont see anyone offering what we'd need to make a deal like that at this point.

I suppose someone could argue that one of the three QBs is a cant miss superstar, but the consensus top pick is undersized and at best he is just what Fields was when we drafted him. And Fields has two NFL seasons under his belt now.

Unless some GM is just in love past the point of logic with Fields, or if the Bears scouts really think one of the rookies is a cant miss hall of famer, both of which seem extremely far fetched, we are keeping Fields - at least through 2023. After next year we will know what we have.

If Fields was coming out this year, he would be the top prospect anyway.  Very few short QBs make it in the NFL or end up hurt early in their career.  Fields has  traits that's not easy to find, he works hard to be the best, he loves football, and is a natural team leader. Those types succeed 95% of the time. If Young was the same size as Justin, we may be having a different conversation but he's not.

what if the scouts love one of the other guys?

Im just saying, it's like war - you never have enough info, and you have to make bold decisions. I dont know what Poles thinks and what info he has.

I also think that there is some smaller benefit to a GM to start the rookie contract clock over. I dont think that would be enough to make you choose one guy over another, but there are multiple concerns and options. Its a highly dynamic situation.

But if you want my best guess? Fields stays, we put pieces around him, he ascends and is a top 10 QB in the league.

And if not, 2024 would be the best time to address it anyway, with a lot more information. Once we know how Fields plays in 2023, this will all get a lot clearer.

I like seeing journalists do the complete off-season make over of the Bears , not just a mock draft. A lot of them have us sign a DeRon Payne and then draft Carter. Essentially two 3Ts. Poles will base a draft around what he does in free agency. Lets say he resigned Monty, and then some people would take a RB at 53, that's not going to happen. He will be addressing the DL and a OL around what he does in free agency. He ain't talking a RB with one of his first 3 picks regardless of whether he brings back Monty. I think DL, OL and then WR, in that order. 

4 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

what if the scouts love one of the other guys?

Im just saying, it's like war - you never have enough info, and you have to make bold decisions. I dont know what Poles thinks and what info he has.

I also think that there is some smaller benefit to a GM to start the rookie contract clock over. I dont think that would be enough to make you choose one guy over another, but there are multiple concerns and options. Its a highly dynamic situation.

But if you want my best guess? Fields stays, we put pieces around him, he ascends and is a top 10 QB in the league.

And if not, 2024 would be the best time to address it anyway, with a lot more information. Once we know how Fields plays in 2023, this will all get a lot clearer.

Yes and yes, that's exactly what is going to happen.

It's funny because there are pundits openly saying the Bears should draft a new QB and then trade Fields.  Some fans are up in arms about that (think Swift) but for me any noise about us possibly taking a QB is ok as it can make other teams nervous about if there will be a QB left for them.  In other words they really need to trade up and ideally remove any doubt about what the Bears might do out of the equation.  

25 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

It's funny because there are pundits openly saying the Bears should draft a new QB and then trade Fields.  Some fans are up in arms about that (think Swift) but for me any noise about us possibly taking a QB is ok as it can make other teams nervous about if there will be a QB left for them.  In other words they really need to trade up and ideally remove any doubt about what the Bears might do out of the equation.  

Warren Sapp has a podcast and has placed his neck on the chopping block, stating "Justin Fields will be traded". He doubled down and said, "you heard it here first".  He claims to have first hand knowledge.

He's an idiot and is the last person I'd listen to.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Warren Sapp has a podcast and has placed his neck on the chopping block, stating "Justin Fields will be traded". He doubled down and said, "you heard it here first".  He claims to have first hand knowledge.

I can see Poles in a conference room with his staff....    We need a patsy or two to spread rumors about us trading Justin.   Who in the media should we "leak" info to?  

11 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

"Hey Warren, who is your source?", "maybe you heard of him before, Saint Omni".

These hacks are all over. There is some guy from Denver media that pops up in the Justin Fields feed all the time. I don't think he reports on any other QB more than Fields:

Stating that the Bears are "exploring all options with Fields". That is like saying JAX is exploring all options with Lawrence, come on man. This is completely made up.

Here he replies to Bears Twitter saying that Seattle didn't want Fields, that is why they vetoed the trade for Russell Wilson, BEFORE Fields was on the team. It is comical how this guy literally makes something up, then tries to justify himself with more BS. It feels like a parody account.

This was after the Bears drafted him and teams like Denver passed on him for CBs, just like CAR did too. Then he makes it seem like Fields "epilepsy" had something to do with it. Come on man.