Anything comments

Stinger226

I will see things on the internet and want to drop the info but doesnt fit in a specific  thread. 

Mike Lombard in regularly on the SCORE during football season. He has always condemned Justin Fields and his NFL potential. He was on the McAfree Show and they were talking about Jordon Love and the Packers. He said everyone is underestimating Love and the team. Then was asked about the Bears and said that he doesnt see Fields having the ability to be a top QB in this league. 

He makes a comment and even thou the upside of Fields has changed, has to double down on his first comments so he can be the smartest guy in the room.

He's a PUD. 

as a Bears fan>

vxPXEGgL4v8mCGw06IFGsmJNtqWQg-z60xQQ79dHKPY.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name one player that isnt a leading choice (Fields-Edmunds) that will be the biggest surprise in their contribution to the team this year?

I think DeMarcus Walker will surprise the team and lead the team in sacks. He had his best year last year and in a (Hakim Hicks type of season breakout as a consistent contributor on defense.) 

Last year he played 33% of Titans defensive snaps , 33 tkls, 10 TFL,. 16 QB hits, 8 sacks and 32 pressures. 

If he plays 50% of the D snaps, what can he do? 8-10 sacks, 40 pressures 

I have seen lots of information on Walker and several places list him with 7 sacks and several list him with 8 sacks. PFF goes over every snap a player has , so I am going with their choice. 

On Fields, Lombardi is not the only one that has a strong opinion.  Chris Simms is no fan either.  He was critical of Justin's mechanics prior to the draft and has spoken lately that enough hasn't changed with his throwing motion and slow footwork.  We've talked about it here as well.  Justin has too many batted balls, due to his turn head, move feet, load arm and release technique.  For those short passes that get YAC, he needs to incorporate those movements into one motion to get the ball out a split second sooner.  That way DT's hands don't get up and secondary defenders can't react as quickly.  Justin has been working on this, as we saw the slightly improved results last year, but he's got a long way to go.  I like that he, at least, has the playbook down so he can concentrate on perfecting the execution.  Here's to hope! 🍺🍺🍻

I agree he needs to advance in many areas. I dont think he has a slow throwing motion as much as when he sees a WR break, he hesitates because he doesnt trust him to catch the ball. He tries to wait until they get open more. You rarely see a throwing problem when he threw to Mooney because he trusted him. 

People like Lombardi and Simms are just idiots.  Everyone can see the work Fields needs to do to get to the level we all want him at, but to ignore the progress he made last year, or simply say "it wasn't enough" is just useless drivel.  I have no use for simple minded people like that.  You could go back over Tremaine Edmunds career and see how much improvement he needed in his first two seasons.  T.J. Edwards who started his career as a backup?   Want a QB example how about Brees or Josh Allen?   These athletes aren't coming out of college as finished products that's why identifying those who have the desire, smarts, and work ethic to reach their potential is such a big part of the draft process.   

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Name one player that isnt a leading choice (Fields-Edmunds) that will be the biggest surprise in their contribution to the team this year?

I think DeMarcus Walker will surprise the team and lead the team in sacks. He had his best year last year and in a (Hakim Hicks type of season breakout as a consistent contributor on defense.) 

Last year he played 33% of Titans defensive snaps , 33 tkls, 10 TFL,. 16 QB hits, 8 sacks and 32 pressures. 

I have seen lots of information on Walker and several places list him with 7 sacks and several list him with 8 sacks. PFF goes over every snap a player has , so I am going with their choice. 

Good choice on Walker.  After scanning the entire roster I'm going with the kicker Andre Szmyt.  During OTAs we aren't hearing a peep about the looming kicking battle but it's coming and I think he has a very good chance to make the roster.  

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Good choice on Walker.  After scanning the entire roster I'm going with the kicker Andre Szmyt.  During OTAs we aren't hearing a peep about the looming kicking battle but it's coming and I think he has a very good chance to make the roster.  

Hopefully he wins it, Santos worries me. His career has been up and down.

I think as media states it ( the culture) , they are doing things the right way. Doing events to having players bond, communicate, and spend time together. Tevan Jenkins got married this off-season and several players attended the wedding in Texas. Justin Fields was there, as team leaders should have been. I think it helps Jenkins buy in to the culture more of which he may have had a problem with last year. I think part of Detroit's success has been the same thing with their grounded head coach. I think we have a bright future.

24 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I think a lot of previous Bears GMs and coaches thought something similar. We reached on athletes who werent football players and assumed wed coach them up.

But this is different, because the word "heart" is on the list, and the culture is an authentic one.

If you look for "speed, length and production" you cant go wrong. But there are only so many of those players to go around. By the bottom of the first round, youre taking players with some attributes who lack another. To authentically add "heart" in place of "production" is a really smart way to do this.

We definitely executed the plan in the draft, now let's see how Eberflus and this staff coach em up.

So far, we are hitting every benchmark. Flus, youre up.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think a lot of previous Bears GMs and coaches thought something similar. We reached on athletes who werent football players and assumed wed coach them up.

But this is different, because the word "heart" is on the list, and the culture is an authentic one.

If you look for "speed, length and production" you cant go wrong. But there are only so many of those players to go around. By the bottom of the first round, youre taking players with some attributes who lack another. To authentically add "heart" in place of "production" is a really smart way to do this.

We definitely executed the plan in the draft, now let's see how Eberflus and this staff coach em up.

So far, we are hitting every benchmark. Flus, youre up.

I love every glittery assessment of Poles plan and Flus's execution, but every GM had the same plan.  What separates one from the other is what each individual fan believes.  Poles has done exactly what I wanted for the rebuild, so Flus also gets my trust.  I'm so excited about the future...

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I love every glittery assessment of Poles plan and Flus's execution, but every GM had the same plan.  What separates one from the other is what each individual fan believes.  Poles has done exactly what I wanted for the rebuild, so Flus also gets my trust.  I'm so excited about the future...

some smartest guy in the room types (Pace) take pure athletes to coach up, but forget to make sure they are athletes who love the game i.e. football players. thats the main difference I see.

But youre right, we trust them so far because theyve made moves we agree with. So now lets see Flus and the guys coach em up.

On 5/27/2023 at 6:31 AM, Stinger226 said:

I will see things on the internet and want to drop the info but doesnt fit in a specific  thread. 

Mike Lombard in regularly on the SCORE during football season. He has always condemned Justin Fields and his NFL potential. He was on the McAfree Show and they were talking about Jordon Love and the Packers. He said everyone is underestimating Love and the team. Then was asked about the Bears and said that he doesnt see Fields having the ability to be a top QB in this league. 

He makes a comment and even thou the upside of Fields has changed, has to double down on his first comments so he can be the smartest guy in the room.

He's a PUD. 

as a Bears fan>

Each one of these can be there own thread. Clearly, some of these guys have something against the Bears and Fields. They also have not actually watched the games.

If you look at the numbers, Fields has not shown he can be a consistent passer with timing routes and the quick passing game. Until he shows that, there will always be naysayers. No QB played more and threw for less yards than Fields.

However, if you look at efficiency, Fields has improved. QBR is a good stat for that as it takes all the others into account. In 2021, Fields was dead last in the NFL at 31.4 (50.0 being league average). In 2022, he shot up to 54.0 (17th in the NFL). To put that into perspective, Burrow was 10th with 58.7 and Cousins was 23rd at 49.9. So any improvement from Fields will easily bump him into the top 10 this year. Hell, DJ Moore alone may do that for him.

On 5/27/2023 at 7:19 AM, Stinger226 said:

My surprises as they will be better than expectations: Billings and Green for FAs, and Sewell and Scott for draft picks. The Bears DTs were bad last year. Billings is really going to help against the run (where the Bears were historically bad). Green has 3.5 sacks in a 5-game span last year for HOU. If he kept up that production for 17 games, he would easily be a double digit sack guy.  I think Sewell is going to make more impact plays than anyone expects as a LB4. For some reason, I feel like Scott is going to end up as a super productive WR4. With all the attention on Moore, Claypool, Mooney, and Kmet, guys like Moore and Tonyan are going to get some easier matchups.

I am expecting Walker to be good, I don't know if he is going to be a surprise, more of a relief for me. I expect Edmunds, Edwards, Walker, and Moore all to play at the same levels they have done before. 

As it gets repeated to infinity, the Bears were the worst sack team in the league. With Walker, Green that will improve it. If Robinson and Gipson play better, that will improve it. You get an improvement out of the middle of the defense, it gets better. Add in a scheme that gets Edmunds,  Edwards and Sewell some rushing attempts, we will be better. Add Brisker attempts and we rise to the middle of the pack. Not great but acceptable. If he still adds an edge, that will help. Overall this team got better without adding a star edge, that will come next year. We have the potential of having a very good back of the defense, that will help the sack total. The sum of the whole has improved.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Walker, Green that will improve it. If Robinson and Gipson play better, that will improve it. You get an improvement out of the middle of the defense, it gets better. 

This is what I hope is the key.  Last year there was no push in the middle, so it was easy to negate Gipson and Robinson.  Now that we have athletes in the middle that can run twists and other stunts, the ends have a chance to free up a little.

15 hours ago, adam said:

Each one of these can be there own thread. Clearly, some of these guys have something against the Bears and Fields. They also have not actually watched the games.

If you look at the numbers, Fields has not shown he can be a consistent passer with timing routes and the quick passing game. Until he shows that, there will always be naysayers. No QB played more and threw for less yards than Fields.

However, if you look at efficiency, Fields has improved. QBR is a good stat for that as it takes all the others into account. In 2021, Fields was dead last in the NFL at 31.4 (50.0 being league average). In 2022, he shot up to 54.0 (17th in the NFL). To put that into perspective, Burrow was 10th with 58.7 and Cousins was 23rd at 49.9. So any improvement from Fields will easily bump him into the top 10 this year. Hell, DJ Moore alone may do that for him.

One thing that I think skews Field’s stats is that the first part of last season we hardly threw the ball. I can’t knock him for what was beyond his control. Hard to rack up passing stats when the play calling was so run heavy early in the season. Add in the line play and limited weapons he had around him. That said he certainly has room to grow. This offseason has been about investing in surrounding him with more weapons and improving the protection up front.  This season he is setup to take the next step. I believe he can and will. 

I saw him make quick decisions in college, so hes not gun shy. What Id say about the Fields of the past two years, is that while he holds the ball too long, he DOESNT throw interceptions. I think that's why hes holding it. And that could just be because guys werent open.

Now a naysayer might say that NFL open is tighter than college open, and he needs to adjust to the pro game, but I looked at film and I saw a lot of guys who just werent open. Now sure you can always find some backdoor guy who was open when you were reading the other side of the field, but in terms of what seems to be his progressions, guys werent open in rhythm when they were supposed to be.

I think that's gonna change a lot with Moore.

So I think Fields has probably been being a better QB than we realize, by not throwing interceptions, and this year could show much improved passing stats.

As with other good WRs in the league, sometimes the QB throws them open. How many times was Davante Adams in close coverage and catch the ball. It's a combination of a good WR and a QB that trusts the WR to get the ball when thrown in close coverage.  Every QB doesn't need a 5 yard separation to throw a completion. Its a trust between QB and WR. Fields has that with Mooney and now is gaining that with Moore. I think similar, he is trusting Kmet more. The mind set of the passing game will change the performance on the field.  It will look like a different offense this year. 250-150 between passing yards and rushing yards will make us a very good offense. Support group mattered.

58 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

As with other good WRs in the league, sometimes the QB throws them open. How many times was Davante Adams in close coverage and catch the ball. It's a combination of a good WR and a QB that trusts the WR to get the ball when thrown in close coverage.  Every QB doesn't need a 5 yard separation to throw a completion. Its a trust between QB and WR. Fields has that with Mooney and now is gaining that with Moore. I think similar, he is trusting Kmet more. The mind set of the passing game will change the performance on the field.  It will look like a different offense this year. 250-150 between passing yards and rushing yards will make us a very good offense. Support group mattered.

I think this says a lot about the progress.  It takes chemistry to trust your receivers and Mooney and Kmet are really the only two that Fields has had time to build that with.  Now he can build upon that with Moore and Claypool if he can stay healthy.  The Bears need to be pass happy in the preseason to help establish this in different environments.  We know the run game will be fine, so get them repetitions early.