Anything comments

Stinger226

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The lions may be very good this but these two picks won't have big Impacts in the first year. I compare Campbell to our later round pick in Sewell. Gibbs will be OK but not a value at 12.

How many times has Detroit taken RB early and they don't live up to their slot.  I have fell into the Jason rule that RB and LB are so close talent wise that there is no need to spend high draft capital on. When Detroit made those picks, I called them out on it as mistakes.  I am sure they will be good players for them, but they over reached.  Years down the road, they will pay the price.  I believe Poles knows this and we never see a first rd pick spent on these positions.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many more people with RB, LB, SS body types in the world than there are with OL, DL body types. Also elite speed is rare, so WR & CB are hard to find too.

So if football talent is distributed evenly regardless of body size across the population, then it stands to reason that there will be more NFL ready RB, LB and SS than any other position. So of course those positions are gonna be devalued.

Now there is always an elite game breaking generational talent type and that player could arrive in any body type and take over games from any position. Troy Palumalu, Jim Brown, Ray Lewis all won games from these positions. If Barry Sanders is there in the draft, you take him even at #1.

But those rare demigods aside, LB, RB and SS have more decent players available than guys who have to also be 6' 6" 330 pounds, and move like a gazelle, or conversely have top end speed.

It makes sense. But if you're a pretty good RB, like David Montgomery, it kinda sucks, and if you're a solid but not exceptional journeyman defensive end, it's a pretty good deal.

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Some good analysis by Robert Schmitz.   

Hopefully, that's the last we hear of Mustipher.  If you want to know how much the OL has improved, look no further than his absence from the roster.  If our OL can remain healthy, the continuity they develop should make them a plus unit in the last third of the season.

Darnell Wright+Nave Davis vs Sam Mustipher+Revolving Door at RT

If an average NFL starter is a 75, Mustipher was a 40 and the revolving door was probably around a 45. Wright should be no worse than league average and Davis should be slightly higher, say 80. If the other 3 (Whitehair, Jones, Jenkins) stay relatively the same, just those 2 upgrades will improve the entire line to slightly better than league average (at worst).

So a bottom-2 unit jumps to 13-15th in the NFL. 

29 minutes ago, adam said:

Darnell Wright+Nave Davis vs Sam Mustipher+Revolving Door at RT

If an average NFL starter is a 75, Mustipher was a 40 and the revolving door was probably around a 45. Wright should be no worse than league average and Davis should be slightly higher, say 80. If the other 3 (Whitehair, Jones, Jenkins) stay relatively the same, just those 2 upgrades will improve the entire line to slightly better than league average (at worst).

So a bottom-2 unit jumps to 13-15th in the NFL. 

I think Davis and Wright will be better than that. I think the right side of our line will be a legitimate team strength, especially in the run game.

Your point that it will be a huge upgrade, i agree even more so.

32 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think Davis and Wright will be better than that. I think the right side of our line will be a legitimate team strength, especially in the run game.

Your point that it will be a huge upgrade, i agree even more so.

I agree on Wright, but Davis is average and this IS good.  Wright will have his growing in the beginning, along with the rest of the line.  It's crazy to think that Jones will be the only starter to play the same position in this offense.  I'm very pleased that we are going into camp knowing who the starting five will be.  That hasn't happened in awhile.

8 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I agree on Wright, but Davis is average and this IS good.  Wright will have his growing in the beginning, along with the rest of the line.  It's crazy to think that Jones will be the only starter to play the same position in this offense.  I'm very pleased that we are going into camp knowing who the starting five will be.  That hasn't happened in awhile.

Ive seen a bunch of film on Davis, and he is a monster in the run game - a real road grader who can move. Once he gets his hands on someone, they dont come unglued, and he has great body control. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Ive seen a bunch of film on Davis, and he is a monster in the run game - a real road grader who can move. Once he gets his hands on someone, they dont come unglued, and he has great body control. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Good is a pleasant surprise.  Better than that is major...💪🏻

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

The OL Masterminds seminar is next week.  Lane Johnson said 250 people signed up for the conference.  I'm hoping all of the Bears OL goes.  If anyone has a roster, out would be cool to see.

I didnt know what that was, googled - cool stuff. Here's an article explaining it for people who dont already know, like me.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/8/1/20749103/nfl-offensive-lineman-ol-masterminds-summit-recap-von-miller

Interesting stuff.  Especially about dealing with coaches you don't like.  Not even sure what to think about that because it's a topic that easily cuts both ways.  When you look at someone like Jenkins, or Leatherwood, or any of these young NFL players still relying on what they were able to do (i.e. got away with) in college because of their superior physical talent.   Was that the message Jenkins needed to hear last year when he was struggling?   OTOH not all coaches are good at their jobs, and players and their talent don't fit all schemes.  

I get tired of listening to these players, many who are multi-millionaires, complain about how hard their job is and if they make one mistake out of 64 plays it ruins their game and reputation.   If I make one mistake out of 64 or just one out of hundreds of attempts at my job I cost my company millions or even tens of millions of dollars.  I'm just one of tens of millions of ordinary people with jobs like that.  

True professionals understand there is a standard they have to meet, they know exactly what that standard is, and they accept it as a condition for holding that job.   Why these guys need to hear how hard their job is, and "woe is us" for being in this difficult position, is beyond me.  It's the standard.   Man up and own it.  

Tillman's speech to the rookies was much better in that he said to never think that way.  (paraphrasing...). Just focus on what must be done on every play in all situations, and what you need to do in advance to be prepared to get it done.  

My thoughts on Schlerith's comments were football based only.  I get what he is saying from an offensive line perspective.  From a professional/private industry perspective the criteria are more clear and validated.  Football is not a science, with too many variables to quantify.  I recall a game that I got called out for that wasn't even my fault, but it didn't look that way to the observers.  My teammate missed the assignment switch, that looked to be mine.  The coaches even thought so, until I defended myself according to their game plan.  I've since been vindicated, but it didn't feel that way in the moment.

13 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

My thoughts on Schlerith's comments were football based only.  I get what he is saying from an offensive line perspective.  From a professional/private industry perspective the criteria are more clear and validated.  Football is not a science, with too many variables to quantify.  I recall a game that I got called out for that wasn't even my fault, but it didn't look that way to the observers.  My teammate missed the assignment switch, that looked to be mine.  The coaches even thought so, until I defended myself according to their game plan.  I've since been vindicated, but it didn't feel that way in the moment.

We've all had that somewhere someway.  You're a standup guy and I'm sure you handled it all properly.  Not by standing up at a podium and finger pointing.  That's the message I want the young Bears players to hear at these seminars.   How do you handle things professionally when they go wrong?   So they're not talking to the media post-game and telling them "I had 63 good plays and all you want to talk about is the one mistake I made?"  

17 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

We've all had that somewhere someway.  You're a standup guy and I'm sure you handled it all properly.  Not by standing up at a podium and finger pointing.  That's the message I want the young Bears players to hear at these seminars.   How do you handle things professionally when they go wrong?   So they're not talking to the media post-game and telling them "I had 63 good plays and all you want to talk about is the one mistake I made?"  

I took Stink's comments to be proactive.  He's basically stating that it's going to happen, so get some thick skin.  The DL are better athletes than you, so work to be perfect, because you are going to need it.  Of course I played OL, so a Legend like him resonates with me.  Maybe that's why I heard the message differently.

On 6/30/2023 at 9:38 AM, Mongo3451 said:

I took Stink's comments to be proactive.  He's basically stating that it's going to happen, so get some thick skin.  The DL are better athletes than you, so work to be perfect, because you are going to need it.  Of course I played OL, so a Legend like him resonates with me.  Maybe that's why I heard the message differently.

In that context it makes more sense to me.  

Anyone is any walk of life can learn something from new experiences. The key is to keep expanding your mind, the more you know the best to apply your particular  talent.  Mongo, where did you play at and when? If you mentioned it , I never seen the response. 

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Mongo, where did you play at and when? If you mentioned it , I never seen the response. 

I played HS football in central Indiana in the early 80's.  I had scholarship offers to a few Division II schools, but turned them down because I didn't think my body could take the punishment.  Had a fractured neck as a sophomore, so I truly think it was wise not to take college hits.  Tried rugby at IU and quit after one week.  That hurt more than football ever did.

Cool, I played in High school(Northern Illinois area) in the late 60s and at a junior college for a few months before I tore a knee up. I was just to small. I did plumbing all my life but went to college with the intend of being a school teacher, I wanted to coach football. My dad offered to set me up in business at 23 so I had to take that opportunity. Boy I sure did want to try to be a football coach .