Anything comments

Stinger226

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I just read that we are the youngest division, by far, with 15 players 30+.  The Patriots, as an example in contrast, have 15.

Different subject but we had a whole years worth of Belichick is a genius and the Bears should have drafted Mac Jones.  Now, as you point out,  the Patriots have a good but aging roster.  Something is going to give.  

15 hours ago, adam said:

I think Sanborn's injury is another reason why they doubled up on LB in free agency. He is still an unknown at this point in his recovery.

I read about that yesterday and it sounded like he’s confident he’s ready to go.  Hard to say without knowing the extent of his injury.  Sprain, break dislocation?   With Sewell being added it sounds like he will indeed have some competition.  

T J Edwards was undrafted out of Wisconsin to. He became a top LB and now is recognized as that. The same will occur with Sanborn. He will earn more snaps by his play as SLB. From nobody , to can he be a good starter? He will keep progressing. If we end up having 3 or 4 top type LBers, that's not a bad thing. We look at the defense this as being better, but lacks a very good edge. The upgrade at DT, LB and DBs will upgrade the pass rush w/o the great pass rusher.

47 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

T J Edwards was undrafted out of Wisconsin to. He became a top LB and now is recognized as that. The same will occur with Sanborn. He will earn more snaps by his play as SLB. From nobody , to can he be a good starter? He will keep progressing. If we end up having 3 or 4 top type LBers, that's not a bad thing. We look at the defense this as being better, but lacks a very good edge. The upgrade at DT, LB and DBs will upgrade the pass rush w/o the great pass rusher.

Youre right that weve upgraded a lot on defense, but witho0ut consistent pressure from the edge, the defense can only be so good. Until we get that, we wont be a top 10 or even top 15 defense.

I share your optimism for the growth of this team, but we are not yet complete, and lack of pass pressure is an easy way to lose a lot of games.

49 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Youre right that weve upgraded a lot on defense, but witho0ut consistent pressure from the edge, the defense can only be so good. Until we get that, we wont be a top 10 or even top 15 defense.

I share your optimism for the growth of this team, but we are not yet complete, and lack of pass pressure is an easy way to lose a lot of games.

Years ago in 2001 when we had two behemoths (Keith Traylor and Ted Washington).   Those DTs were bookended by big DEs (Philip Daniels and Alex Brown) who were not great pass rushers.  Alex Brown's best season was 7 sacks, Daniels had 2 seasons with 9 sacks.   They were backed up a good LB group anchored by Brian Urlacher, and DBs anchored by Mike Brown.  Nobody could run on us and when it was time for 3rd and long we had the coverage.  We won a lot of games that way and that was the leagues best scoring defense that year.   We were average in yards given up per game.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/2001.htm

I'm not putting this year's D at that level but in terms of roster makeup there are a lot of similarities.  We have Billings inside and another young beast of a run defender in Dexter.  Walker at DE you could say is similar to Daniels.  On the other side Gipson or Green are similar to Brown but not as quick on first step.   

Behind them LB:  Urlacher, Holdman, Colvin  (Edmunds/Edwards/Sanborn),    S:  Brown/Parrish (BoJack, Brisker),    CB:  Walt Harris, Azumah, RW McQuarters (Jaylon Johnson, Gordon, Stevens?)

The biggest challenge in this comparison is that the scheme is different.  That was the Jauron era and 2-gapping D.  We run a 1-gap and, if you recall when Lovie took over in 2003, remaking the Dline was at the top of the list.  To be fair, at that point Traylor and Washington were done in their careers.  OTOH Lovie was a stalwart cover-2 bend-but-don't-break guy and Eberflus varies from that a little more often.  

Then we also have the fact we're relying on a couple young DTs to make it all work.  I think Dexter and Billings can get the interior run D anchored.  We must have more pressure up the middle from Justin Jones, Pickens, and Dexter.  Flush the QB to the outside where the DEs can catch them.   Find the interior pressure and I think the D can be good this year.  

Forgot to include this:

4 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

We must have more pressure up the middle from Justin Jones, Pickens, and Dexter.  Flush the QB to the outside where the DEs can catch them.   Find the interior pressure and I think the D can be good this year.  

Bingo!  The days of the oversized front four are over, unless they are agile as hell.  If we can replicate the athletic big guys NYG had with their NASCAR package, that would be our best chance this year.

Im very enthusiastic about the future of our DTs. I'm also very enthusiastic about our coverage.

But i dont see our current DL being able to bring the pass pressure necessary to stop modern offenses in the passing game.

I do think we will be good against the run. I do think that Edmunds will close off a lot of those deep middle routes that have been killing us on third downs.

I just think that until we have a real stud at DE, the pieces wont be enough to reliably beat good passing teams. And if you give any QB 5 seconds unmolested, they look like hall of famers.

I expect us to beat the teams we are better than, but if i thought that we could bring reliable pass pressure, then I'd think this team could go deep into the playoffs by the time they gel in December. I dont think we are there yet though. The two biggest reasons being getting young players experience, and having a legitimate pass rush.

It's coming, but right now we are incomplete.

49 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

If you're bored you need to watch this, the poster is a packet fan. It's 14 minutes long.. Made me laugh this morning.

Not a lot of thought put into this other than to say the floor for the Packers is 6 losses and 12 wins as a ceiling.

Then while proclaiming the Bears suck without really explaining why, says Fields is a horrible passer while showing him throw a TD to Jesper Horstead . 😆

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I gotta stop watching this stuff or I'm gonna think we are doing something good...😜

All the praise by so many people has to make you feel better about this team. I was already very positive and this stuff makes me thinking 2018.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

All the praise by so many people has to make you feel better about this team. I was already very positive and this stuff makes me thinking 2018.

We know what we have cooking.  It's just hard to temper expectations when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We're still about 5 pieces away and they may already be on the team...

3 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

We know what we have cooking.  It's just hard to temper expectations when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We're still about 5 pieces away and they may already be on the team...

right. the way I keep thinking of it is that a lot of these names are gonna be All Pros, and heroes in our Super Bowl run, but first they need to learn to play in the NFL lol and a few arent on the team yet.

Baby Bears!

Like Mongo said, they may already be here. I think we are a couple short with several yet to develop. Definitely one year away but how does this year play out? The defense slowly gets better, offense ready to shine now. If we can add one double digit sacker, our defense accelerates. Having an easier schedule doesn't hurt either. If we get out of the blocks 3-1 , the  handcuffs comes off.