Week 1 Official Game Thread - GB @ CHI, 09/10, 3:25PM CDT, CHI -1 O/U 43.5, FOX

adam

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only saving grace is a bunch of QBs struggled today. 

Burrow passed for 82 yards. Geno Smith passed for 112. Watson threw for 154. Tannehill completed 47% of his passes and had 3 INTs. Bryce Young, the rookie savior threw for 146, 3.8 Y/A, and 2 INTs. 11x QBs threw for less than 200 yards, including Wilson, Hurts, and Lamar.

I would only give Fields a few more games. He looked exactly the same as last year, maybe worse. He does not look comfortable in this offense. I would make him into a gadget QB like Hill. Let Bagent play QB, then bring Fields in as a gadget player. Use his athleticism, he is a hell of an athlete, just not a starting NFL QB.

51 minutes ago, adam said:

The only saving grace is a bunch of QBs struggled today. 

Burrow passed for 82 yards. Geno Smith passed for 112. Watson threw for 154. Tannehill completed 47% of his passes and had 3 INTs. Bryce Young, the rookie savior threw for 146, 3.8 Y/A, and 2 INTs. 11x QBs threw for less than 200 yards, including Wilson, Hurts, and Lamar.

I would only give Fields a few more games. He looked exactly the same as last year, maybe worse. He does not look comfortable in this offense. I would make him into a gadget QB like Hill. Let Bagent play QB, then bring Fields in as a gadget player. Use his athleticism, he is a hell of an athlete, just not a starting NFL QB.

It’s the only bright side to me - week 1 so I can discount it a bit. 3 or 4 more weeks like this and than my mind will be made up regarding our QB. 

28 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

It’s the only bright side to me - week 1 so I can discount it a bit. 3 or 4 more weeks like this and than my mind will be made up regarding our QB. 

Yeah my belief meter went down to 60/100 after that one. 

Look at Daniel Jones on SNF. Losing 26-0 at half, has 2 INT, 4 sacks, and 43 yards passing. The Giant supposedly had a great offseason and were destined for the playoffs. They look worse than the Bears, which is hard to do.

27 minutes ago, adam said:

What sucks is the defense let up 3 HUGE plays that all resulted in TDs, then the pick-6 from Fields. That is 28 of the 38 pts. 7 was on the opening drive of 40 yards. 2 huge plays to Dillon and the blown coverage on Musgrave. That's all it takes to have a blowout. Love is still fools gold, but he made the plays he had to make. However, he had hours back there to throw and was rarely pressured. The game is so much easier in that environment.

Yep, gotta know the difference between good offense and bad defense.  Eddie Jackson looked like a rookie today.  

There were a few positives:

Darnell Wright had quite a few bad plays but I think he improved as the game went along.  He had a really nice blitz pickup on the Mooney TD play.   Still bullish on his future.  

Roschon will be RB1.  His power in the lower body is impressive.   Really overall we have 3 good RBs which is a good place to be.  

Tyrique Stevenson.  I went into this game expecting the rookie to make a few big mistakes or penalties and he just played well overall.  If the safeties Brisker and Jackson understood their jobs we'd be better.  

Gordon also looked good.  

Tremaine Edmunds is going to be very good for us.   

Some of the ugly:

Whitehair isn't that good at LG anymore.  His best days are clearly in the rear view mirror.  I hope he goes to center and Patrick to the bench when Jenkins returns because that's still an upgrade.  Or Feeney wins the center job outright.  

Justin Jones isn't a starting DT in the NFL.  He might be the best starter for us right now but the young DTs will take his place over the course of the season.  Other than the 1 play they highlighted from Pickens both rookie DTs are working on their learning curve.  I do need to see some of the film though because we had quite a few plays where we blew up their Oline.  Dline will be a focus again this offseason. 

Safeties were not good, especially Eddie Jackson. 

Coaches were out-coached and it started by giving GB a short field.  LeFleur getting Jones 1:1 in man coverage against Edwards is how you do it.   With all the 3rd and long plays we forced them into then just gave up the middle of the field on easy passes.  If there is one coach who needs to be on the hottest seat it is Alan Williams.  

Anyone still concerned Luke Getsy will be hired away from us after this season?  

You can easily break this game down into 1 comparison:  Best pass rush won it.  

56 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I expect the idiots in Green Bay to do this crap but coming from a Bears fan to put it here is despicable.  

If you are calling me out, so be it.  Character is not required to be a fan of any sport.  The Bears were completely dominated today.  Was is out of arrogance or entitlement?  Not really.  My thought is that they relaxed with the departure of Rodgers and took all of our additions for granted.  A come to Jesus week is upon us.  Shitty day for the beloved...

23 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

If you are calling me out, so be it.  Character is not required to be a fan of any sport.  The Bears were completely dominated today.  Was is out of arrogance or entitlement?  Not really.  My thought is that they relaxed with the departure of Rodgers and took all of our additions for granted.  A come to Jesus week is upon us.  Shitty day for the beloved...

I know how shitty my team played I just didn't expect you to be the one kicking sand in my face when I'm down.  Does Jesus play on the Dline?  If so, we need him. 

I also know it's week 1 and that is always a wild ride in the NFL.  Despite my disappointment I know I saw far more talent on the field than this time last year.  Can these coaches pull it together?    

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Yep, gotta know the difference between good offense and bad defense.  Eddie Jackson looked like a rookie today.  

Darnell Wright had quite a few bad plays but I think he improved as the game went along.  He had a really nice blitz pickup on the Mooney TD play.   Still bullish on his future.  

Roschon will be RB1.  His power in the lower body is impressive.   Really overall we have 3 good RBs which is a good place to be.  

Tyrique Stevenson.  I went into this game expecting the rookie to make a few big mistakes or penalties and he just played well overall.  If the safeties Brisker and Jackson understood their jobs we'd be better.  

Gordon also looked good.  

Some of the ugly:

Whitehair isn't that good at LG anymore.  His best days are clearly in the rear view mirror.  I hope he goes to center and Patrick to the bench when Jenkins returns because that's still an upgrade.  Or Feeney wins the center job outright.  

Justin Jones isn't a starting DT in the NFL.  He might be the best starter for us right now but the young DTs will take his place over the course of the season.  Other than the 1 play they highlighted from Pickens both rookie DTs are working on their learning curve.  I do need to see some of the film though because we had quite a few plays where we blew up their Oline.  Dline will be a focus again this offseason. 

Coaches were out-coached and it started by giving GB a short field.  LeFleur getting Jones 1:1 in man coverage against Edwards is how you do it.   With all the 3rd and long plays we forced them into then just gave up the middle of the field on easy passes.  If there is one coach who needs to be on the hottest seat it is Alan Williams.  

this is all dead on - well said. and the last line especially, we can talk about better play calling, and execution, but our DL is not going to put QBs under pressure this year, and that is going to lose us a bunch of games.

10 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Just need to say, F Justin.  He is not  QB.

the next four games will decide where we go from here.

this is sad if it doesn't work out because i like fields. he's a nice kid and he works as hard as any player i have seen to become better. i just don't think it is going to happen anymore. he has all the tools except one, the ability to process information in 3D quickly enough. i really hope i am wrong about this.

1 hour ago, Lucky Luciano said:

the next four games will decide where we go from here.

this is sad if it doesn't work out because i like fields. he's a nice kid and he works as hard as any player i have seen to become better. i just don't think it is going to happen anymore. he has all the tools except one, the ability to process information in 3D quickly enough. i really hope i am wrong about this.

Yeah, there are a few ways to process info. Some people are super smart, ace written tests, but can't think on their feet. 

Fields is an athlete, probably top 10 in the league. At this point, they need to use him that way. Jackson does a bunch of RPOs and forces the defense to react. The Bears are trying to use him like a pocket QB. That's like making someone throw with the other hand. 

Majority of the blame is on the coaches and the scheme. Moore got 2 targets, both on one drive. Foreman had 3 targets. 

On defense, there is one player they needed to give extra attention to, Aaron Jones. How we the Bears allow him to catch two passes for 86 YARDS and a TD. He should've had two. He ended the game with 3 TDs and 127 yards. Insane. So much for that great LB corps. Edwards looked pedestrian. Edmunds looked ok, but Love had to many passes in the middle of the field. 

On 3rd and 1 you have Kmet take a direct snap, which forced 9 defenders into the box. How about you have him take the snap and pitch it out wide or something like that. I thought Nagy's plays were predictable, but I was calling the play before they ran it. If I could see it, then GB knew what they were doing.

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I know how shitty my team played I just didn't expect you to be the one kicking sand in my face when I'm down.  Does Jesus play on the Dline?  If so, we need him. 

I also know it's week 1 and that is always a wild ride in the NFL.  Despite my disappointment I know I saw far more talent on the field than this time last year.  Can these coaches pull it together?    

That meme hurt me too. Kicking sand in your face would've been me, personally, telling you "I told you so", while laughing.  We all handle losing in different ways.  The good athletes turn the rage and hurt into fuel.  I expect next Sunday to be a rage fest, win or lose...

12 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Gordon also looked good.  

Some of the ugly:

I rewatched the game and all your observations were spot on. 

All the big plays by GB were breakdowns. The one Jones screen was the LBers over pursuing. Lots of breakdown in coverage by the Ss. 

Jackson was terrible not getting where he was supposed to be. 

The middle of the OL was constantly a problem. Whitehair was terrible.

Fields was under siege and the scheme of the short passing game failed. It seemed when Fields  threw down the field farther it was more successful. 

I think the players that missed the most preseason played the worst.

When we ran Foreman and Johnson up the middle it was working. The outside run zones were a problem. Johnson should get a lot more snaps.

Billings and Edmunds played well . CBs were okay but both Ss seemed out of position all the time.

The first half of the game was not all that bad but in the second half, GB made adjustments and we didn't.

As far as blame I think the coaches should be first in line then poor play by Jackson and Whitehair are next in line.  Fields didn't have a good game but was under pressure all the time and is much lower on the blame list.

We invested in Moore and Claypool in the off season and only had two throws to Moore, it's a scheme issue . Why did Getsy go so conservative?

Kyle Brandt just called out one of the Bears players, saying he looked like he didn't want to be there.  He said it was obvious and it was a player we all know.  He wouldn't name a name, but said the player may not be on the team tomorrow.  Brandt doesn't go that far, unless he really sees something.  

My signal was really really poor yesterday due to steaming, because of Direct TV dispute with the mayor networks.  Who is the player?  I'm only guessing Claypool or Jackson...

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

My signal was really really poor yesterday due to steaming, because of Direct TV dispute with the mayor networks.  Who is the player?  I'm only guessing Claypool or Jackson...

That's a tough one. I saw plenty of players that appeared to not 'want to be there'. Claypool was non-existent, unless you count the time Fields was hit on the sideline and he came into to help and nearly got penalized. Then later he literally (and pathetically) flopped when a lineman pushed by him later in the game.  He dropped a relatively easy pass a little after that.  All the wonderment of him during preseason wasn't on display yesterday. 

Jaylon Johnson held back on tackling a few times.  Once as Aaron Jones was coming towards him he definitely wasn't interested in tackling him and was saved by Jones running out of bounds after another player deflected him that way. 

Moore looked really disinterested in playing after that small rally during the 2nd quarter.  Probably, as Brandt pointed out, he asked the same question.  'You traded the 1st overall pick to get me and this is how you utilize me?'  

I suspect if he was talking about anyone it was probably Jackson.   He was out of position pretty much all game. It wasn't until late in the game when he actually met Aaron Jones at the LOS that I thought maybe he has decided to play after all. Otherwise, he was just an apparition out there not doing a whole heck of a lot.  

Plenty of candidates to pick from.  Not alot of leadership on display from senior members of the team.  

I turned it off after Fields fumbled. Here are my thoughts. 

1) The middle of the oline is terrible so we need to move away from being run heavy. 
2) Jackson is useless and should be cut but can’t because of his ridiculous salary. 
3) We cannot rush 4 because we will be killed. 
4) It’s ridiculous trading for Moore and Claypole and not using them. Same with giving Kmet a new contract. 
5) Need to have Fields throwing deeper throws and establish if he can be a top 10 QB. If not use him as a RB and go in a different direction. 

Finally please I cannot stand another season like last year. Yesterday was really hard and if we weren’t stupid we could have changed the narrative with Green Bay. I still cannot comprehend why we don’t play starters in the preseason. Our players need the reps and what difference does it make if we get injuries. It cannot be worse than last year or yesterday. 

I dont think we are as bad we looked yesterday but have a lot of work to do. 

here is PFF grades for the OL:

per PFF. the Bears' O-line was ... not good: Nate Davis -- 9 pressures (pass-block grade of 7.2) Lucas Patrick - 5 pressures Cody Whitehair - 5 pressures, 1 sack, 1 hit Darnell Wright - 5 pressures Braxton Jones -- 1 pressure (grade of 90.4)

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I find it hard to throw blame to Claypool ( no targets) and Moore ( 2 targets) . Claypool looked bad in one block that had the DB right in his face but I blame that on scheming. He should have been  farther out and had a crackback block. 

Correct because you cannot block until the ball is caught.  

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Seen some people saying J Carter played killer minutes in Philly, he had 1 T and 1 sack. put that to rest

going to have to recant on the Carter remark, he also had 6 pressures 

no one ever said Carter isnt physically talented. Based on that alone, he should have been a top three pick. The reason we didnt touch him is character. We will see in a couple of years whether this was the right move, but his success on the field early doesnt address the reason people were concerned about him.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

here is PFF grades for the OL:

per PFF. the Bears' O-line was ... not good: Nate Davis -- 9 pressures (pass-block grade of 7.2) Lucas Patrick - 5 pressures Cody Whitehair - 5 pressures, 1 sack, 1 hit Darnell Wright - 5 pressures Braxton Jones -- 1 pressure (grade of 90.4)

Although Jones did well in the “pressure” dept he committed 3 penalties on his own (according to the chart Adam shared elsewhere).  And then there’s this…

IMG_5538.jpeg