Week 1 Official Game Thread - GB @ CHI, 09/10, 3:25PM CDT, CHI -1 O/U 43.5, FOX

adam

8 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Can you share the cliff notes version? 

A lot to cleanup in one week. Better effort, better play design, better play selection, better personnel decisions, and better performance from almost every player on offense outside of Moore, Mooney, and Johnson is needed.

Yes, JT could not understand what Getsy was trying to do on at least half of the plays. Pulling the LT to pass block the right edge; route concepts that run the same exact route or to the same area; confusing blocking schemes with half the players run blocking while others pass blocking. Out of all the plays reviewed, he liked 3-4 total plays, and hated 10+. He literally said "wtf" at least 10 times. So Getsy, play design, and play calling (Kmet dive on 3rd and 1 followed by QB sneak on 4th and 1) had him baffled. He said a few times "no one at any level of football would run this".

On the O-Line, on almost every play there was a breakdown. One where Jones is doing jumping jacks down the line while letting a defender run right by him for the sack. A lot of odd techniques. Davis looked terrible. On one play he made like he was passing off a defender to his right but Wright was already blocking someone, Davis turns to dry hump Patrick's butt while Fields gets sacked. So odd. Wright looked pretty good actually, but the scheme and failure to adjust made everyone look worse. Patrick was also bad. I didn't hear Whitehair's name much.

Receivers: Claypool should be released. Zero effort, didn't even make an attempt to block anyone. To me, it literally looked like a woman out there scared shitless but with a helmet on. He didn't catch either target, and ran maybe 2 good routes all game. Mooney looked good and made some nice blocks. Scott actually showed a lot of effort in his routes and blocking. Moore was open a lot. Fields needs to just throw it to him. Kmet had a terrible game. He looked clunky and slow, like he didn't know what he should be doing, really odd for him. Blocking wasn't great, he whiffed on a few. His routes were really slow, like he is having a hard time getting up to speed compared to last year. Injured?

Fields: Oh boy. If you strip away everything else going on around him, which is hard to do, I would say that he has not developed like we thought he would and looks like when Nagy said Trubisky is at the 201 level. He is not trusting his eyes. He is looking down quicker than ever before. Some of this may just be Week 1 stuff, but somewhat alarming considering what other QBs have looked like. He is going through his progressions, but not throwing the ball. JT does not like his slow, nonchalant drop back. He said that it is too slow, he needs to get back to the back of his drop faster. I have seen and mentioned that before. To me it is like he is trying to show that the NFL game is not too fast for him by looking super relaxed in the pocket. However, that slower drop may be causing him to miss those early progression throws. Fields missed at least 4-5 NFL open throws. He just didn't throw the ball. He either scrambled, took the checkdown, or got sacked. Fields athleticism saved a few negative plays. The pick-6 was bad. 

He liked Rochson's effort and blocking. He didn't like the personnel on some of the plays. 2 RBs and a TE out wide, and you throw to a FB? Why not have your WRs out on the field for that play. So personnel decisions were also a huge question mark. 

Bear Jacks:

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Like Josh Allen and Joe Burrow?  

If you didn't know them, you would've thought they were rookies. Allen has always been Favre-like. Epic games, but epic failures too. When he is on, he is unstoppable, but when he is off, it is turnover city.

Burrow has never taken a pre-season snap, and it shows. With Chase, Higgins, and Mixon, and you look like that? To put Burrow's game into perspective. His lowest career passing games were 148 and 157, the only 2 under 170. Last year his lowest was 199. He threw for 82 yards against CLE. However, he only got sacked twice and had 0 INTs. In comparison, Fields threw for 68 yards and was sacked 9 times his rookie year against CLE. 

On 9/12/2023 at 1:31 AM, BearFan PHX said:

I think the whole thing went to sh*t when Eberflus went for it on 4th and 1 - what a totally idiotic move.

Its SO bad, that I'm calling it strike one. Not every error will be a strike, but that one absolutely was. I could argue hes made others too, but lets call that one.

learn from it, get better stop hiding the offense and trying to be so cute, establish an identity on offense, and things will be OK. But that's strike one.

Why would he not spread them out, it's 3rd and 1. Let your best player handle the ball, or allow him to handoff to one of the RBs? Cole Kmet under center after motion? It literally drew in 10 into the A and B gaps, it was insane. Now if he did that and pitched it to Fields or something like that, ok, but don't do a TE dive right there. It reminded me of the Patterson run on 3rd and 1 that always lost 2. Then on Fields try. He has his feet next to each other, instead of staggered, and again, if you are going to go up and over, let one of the RBs do that. Personnel decisions!

🐻 Down!

Just watched the O'Sullivan report.  Holy crap, I could only get through the first half of it.

Davis needs benched until he learns the playbook and finishes Jenny Craig.  Claypool needs to sit.  At least ESB will hit someone.  Fields needs to start ripping the ball.  Whatever trust exercises they need to do, must be done ASAP!  

My thoughts are that the off season created a little false confidence, with all of the editions and expected improvements from within.  Getsy and Flus thinking Fields looking okay in 7 on 7's was a huge mistake by not plaything him against the Colts. (BTW, Kap was right)  My expectation is that Monday morning, the coaches apologized to the team for not having them ready to compete.  After, that a major ass ripping occurred in the unit meetings, when the position coaches got to their film and assignment responsibilities.

We'll see a much more focused and physical team this Sunday against Tampa.  Win or lose, we shouldn't be having an OMG Monday.  If so, we have a major problem.

15 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Just watched the O'Sullivan report.  Holy crap, I could only get through the first half of it.

Davis needs benched until he learns the playbook and finishes Jenny Craig.  Claypool needs to sit.  At least ESB will hit someone.  Fields needs to start ripping the ball.  Whatever trust exercises they need to do, must be done ASAP!  

My thoughts are that the off season created a little false confidence, with all of the editions and expected improvements from within.  Getsy and Flus thinking Fields looking okay in 7 on 7's was a huge mistake by not plaything him against the Colts. (BTW, Kap was right)  My expectation is that Monday morning, the coaches apologized to the team for not having them ready to compete.  After, that a major ass ripping occurred in the unit meetings, when the position coaches got to their film and assignment responsibilities.

We'll see a much more focused and physical team this Sunday against Tampa.  Win or lose, we shouldn't be having an OMG Monday.  If so, we have a major problem.

Sitting Davis and Claypool this week would be perfect.  Send the message now.  

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Sitting (edit) Claypool this week would be perfect.  Send the message now.  

With regards to Claypool this week, and potentially having ESB starting instead of him?  This article talks a little about it and has this quote (below) from Fields regarding the choice on using ESB:  https://x.com/eriklambert1/status/1702054712151859310?s=46&t=KrpJmhSTc4DI1sACtjisOQ

IMG_5561.jpeg

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

With regards to Claypool this week, and potentially having ESB starting instead of him?  This article talks a little about it and has this quote (below) from Fields regarding the choice on using ESB:  https://x.com/eriklambert1/status/1702054712151859310?s=46&t=KrpJmhSTc4DI1sACtjisOQ

IMG_5561.jpeg

Here's to hoping Eberflus can take him at Davis to lunch and have a discussion.  If a bench is in order, then bring it.  

I'm still watching tape,. but I've only seen Nate Davis screw up on one play.

I was ready to hate on him for all the preseason time he missed, but honestly, the right side of the OL did OK in everything I've seen so far. Maybe they break down later in the game, but so far, Nate screwed up one play and Wright has been solid.

Fields on the other hand is a disaster.

DJ Moore was open all over the place.

21 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I was ready to hate on him for all the preseason time he missed, but honestly, the right side of the OL did OK in everything I've seen so far. Maybe they break down later in the game, but so far, Nate screwed up one play and Wright has been solid.

I think he led the entire NFL in pressure(s) allowed in week 1 (in terms of oline play).  In the 2nd half - the entire interior was getting destroyed practically every play.  

33 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

There were at least 3 plays where Davis doubled with the center, when the obvious play was to get the guy over him.  It looked like he didn't know the line call.  That's fixable.  Thayer thinks he'll be ok. 

45 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Here's to hoping Eberflus can take him at Davis to lunch and have a discussion.  If a bench is in order, then bring it.  

Flus had a one on one meeting with Claypool today.  He would not elaborate on the content, other than Claypool knows exactly what the expectation is.  Weird note; reporter asked Flus about Claypool going to the medical tent twice during the game, Flus's response was "there is no injury" and had no further comment.

20 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I think he led the entire NFL in pressure(s) allowed in week 1 (in terms of oline play).  In the 2nd half - the entire interior was getting destroyed practically every play.  

can I ask, who's stat was that? was it PFF?

On 9/12/2023 at 7:48 PM, adam said:

All I can say is wow. This is exactly how the game looked in real time, but every play had so much more badness than I thought. A must watch, but it is an hour long. Much better than rewatching the game. JT has some funny zingers. Arguably his best video yet.

Great video. This dude is breaking down things we've been talking about on this board for a decade. 

A terrible loss to GB has got the Bear community in an insane state of blame. Its a composite of many things. Claypool seems like a focal point but many played bad that day. 

I think the team was still in a preseason mold that were not ready to play. That is on the coaches.

They had a conservative game plan and didnt take advantage of Fields  strengths

Several players didnt play well, we didnt lose because of Claypool's effort.

We had good effort in the first half with a 10-6 score but some scheme breakdowns in the 3rd quarter doomed us. I think we didnt make adjustments in the second half and GB did. The end of the game had fatigue set in and mental breakdowns. There are always every year a few games that are team losses. Players, coaches, scheme are all to blame. I think the first drive where we failed to make a 4th down got us in a snowball that ended in a bad loss. Sometimes you just have to forget a game and look forward to the next game for both players and fans. We were never going 17-0 , its time to move on.  

Watched a little bit of the All-22. A couple of things.

On both QB sneaks, the Bears got screwed on the spots. On Fields' sneak, the tip of the ball clearly makes it to the line to gain. On Love's, he is short because he goes in backwards so his body is passed the marker but not the ball. Bad spots. 

Moore does take himself out of the game on 1st and goal after his catch where it took 5 players to tackle him.

On the next play on the throw to Kmet, Alexander literally launches his helmet right into Kmet's knee, I am shocked he doesn't have an injury. Alexander went dangerously low, below the knee is illegal, so it is a judgement call there.

Then on the Van Ness sack play, 2 defenders on the right side of their line jumped early but it wasn't called. It made Jones start early before the snap. It should've been blown dead.

Kmet was interfered with in the end zone on the 3rd down pass, it should've been an automatic first down there.

Too many times I see players running ARob routes, like they know the ball is not coming to them, so they just trot around. Foreman did it on one play and I saw Kmet do it on another. That allows defenders to cover other areas of the field easier, making the actual play harder. They need to either sell the fake or route, or actually block someone.

On 9/13/2023 at 6:24 PM, Mongo3451 said:

Flus had a one on one meeting with Claypool today.  He would not elaborate on the content, other than Claypool knows exactly what the expectation is.  Weird note; reporter asked Flus about Claypool going to the medical tent twice during the game, Flus's response was "there is no injury" and had no further comment.

Tolbert, WR coach, mentioned Claypool has been first in meetings and hustling more than any other WR in practice this week.  I think the message got to him.  Also. He is expected to play on Sunday.

45 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

You will absolutely see effort this week. I think we will be more physical than TB . They will establish the run and some design runs by Fields. Play action, BOOM

We’re going against Todd Bowles.  Expect lots of blitzes and varied rush attacks.   We need effort but also smart play.