Weekly Tankathon Meter

adam

17 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Take a QB and trade pick 2 for more picks and hope you still land MHJ and a top Center rd2. 

I would love to trade back and still get MHJ, but if you pulled that off, you started with #1 and #2 and flipped #2 to maybe back to #4 or #5. I don't think he gets out of the top 5. Probably 2 QBs, Olu, MHJ, and an Edge. 

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, adam said:

I would love to trade back and still get MHJ, but if you pulled that off, you started with #1 and #2 and flipped #2 to maybe back to #4 or #5. I don't think he gets out of the top 5. Probably 2 QBs, Olu, MHJ, and an Edge. 

Yes, the way it looks we have 1 and 2 then maybe trade down with ARZ if we can get there 2 firsts.  That is wishful thinking. 

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Yes, the way it looks we have 1 and 2 then maybe trade down with ARZ if we can get there 2 firsts.  That is wishful thinking. 

Now that would be absolutely insane. Getting the #1 pick to draft a QB, trading down to where you can still get MHJ AND another 1st rounder to get an Edge or OL or DL would be incredible. 

I also like that they still have CAR's 2025 2nd rounder, which by all accounts should be a great pick as well. I am curious at CAR's rebuild strategy though. How exactly are they going to improve their team without high draft picks? Like in 2024, without a 1st rounder, how are they going to catch up with any team in their division who are already ahead of them AND the other teams still have their 1st rounders. I get that they needed to go up and get a QB, but honestly, I didn't think Young was good enough to make that trade. Now you have to rebuild with essentially one hand behind your back and by the time your roster has newer draft picks, Young is coming out of his rookie deal anyway. 

This might be a bit of a hot take, but Michael Penix Jr is a better quarterback than Caleb Williams. If it weren't for his injury history and age, I would absolutely take him over Williams. Depending on how the rest of the season goes for both guys, I could see this becoming a much more difficult discussion come April.

Williams looked completely overwhelmed against a quality defense that didn't allow his receivers to run wide open down the field, at will. One game doesn't define anybody, but it's another data point that should be studied closely as the draft nears.

Penix is the prototypical pocket passer who has a whip of an arm and surveys the field at an elite level. The amount of NFL throws this kid was making yesterday blew my mind. He rarely gets sacked because of how quick he can process through his reads and get rid of the ball. He's basically the anti-Justin Fields.

I don't know about you, but I'm kind of tired of the dual threat guy who struggles to get through his progressions and doesn't feel pressure. Penix is legit. 

9 hours ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

This might be a bit of a hot take, but Michael Penix Jr is a better quarterback than Caleb Williams. If it weren't for his injury history and age, I would absolutely take him over Williams. Depending on how the rest of the season goes for both guys, I could see this becoming a much more difficult discussion come April.

Williams looked completely overwhelmed against a quality defense that didn't allow his receivers to run wide open down the field, at will. One game doesn't define anybody, but it's another data point that should be studied closely as the draft nears.

Penix is the prototypical pocket passer who has a whip of an arm and surveys the field at an elite level. The amount of NFL throws this kid was making yesterday blew my mind. He rarely gets sacked because of how quick he can process through his reads and get rid of the ball. He's basically the anti-Justin Fields.

I don't know about you, but I'm kind of tired of the dual threat guy who struggles to get through his progressions and doesn't feel pressure. Penix is legit. 

Anytime older college players are playing against 18 yr olds, it's really hard to evaluate them in my opinion. It just adds another layer that is not there for other players. He definitely seems like a better prospect than previous older QBs like Weeden (lol), but again, can you justify drafting a QB when his 2nd contract may not come until he is already 30 yrs old?

16 minutes ago, killakrzydav said:

All these 3-3 teams really help. I want Arizona to get another win.  Having the top two picks with such a strong qb class is going to be elite!

it's an incredibly rare opportunity - but they have to make the right picks. NFL QBs are so hard to project. I hope we have the right guys making the right choice, because that more than anything else will define our next 4 or 5 years here

4 minutes ago, killakrzydav said:

You can like him or not but Poles will be making these selections.

I think you are probably right. I mostly like Poles. The only hitch may be if a strong willed coach comes in, like a Harbaugh, who demands more input to the roster and wants his own guy in there.

But if I had to lay odds, I'd say it's 70%+ Poles stays?

8 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I think Riley is headed to nfl after this year. Harbaugh too. I think this is the year both of them make the jump. 

it's a good take because there are multiple highly touted QBs entering the draft. That's gotta make these guys want to make the jump.

Two questions:

1) Do we think Harbaugh would be a good coach for the Bears?

2) Do we think the Bears would hire Harbaugh?

I havent thought enough about it to know what my final decision would be - especially not having investigated a lot of alternate options yet. But my gut call is that Harbaugh is exactly who we need. But he IS a lunatic who's hell bent on winning. At first glance that sounds great - but he is a major weirdo. Hard-ass doesn't even begin to describe it. He's an alpha among alphas and has a giant stick wedged waaaaay up there. He's the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket.

So I wonder if the Bears would be willing to deal with him and hire him. I wonder if he'd insist on controlling player acquisition. I wonder if he might burn out today's overpaid players with too much authority.

On the other hand... he'd be maniacal about winning. I'd probably go for it.

I still need to know more about other options too.

20 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Hire Lincoln Riley and draft Caleb Williams.  Make it a combo transition 

I personally would hate that. I've seen my Utes devour Williams and Riley. Neither of those two together have shown me they can win at a superior level. Would just be two more years of back-tracking imDo. 

On 10/18/2023 at 11:49 AM, ChileBear said:

I personally would hate that. I've seen my Utes devour Williams and Riley. Neither of those two together have shown me they can win at a superior level. Would just be two more years of back-tracking imDo. 

And the “ownership” by the Utes continue after last night.  By my count the two losses USC have this year are to ranked teams. 

24 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

And the “ownership” by the Utes continue after last night.  By my count the two losses USC have this year are to ranked teams. 

Williams just reminds me of Fields. Why bring in a clone?

Williams have given off some bad bust vibes. His attitudes sucks too. He does have a bit of Mahomes in him, but if you watch tape on both, Williams is nowhere near Mahomes.

After Week 6 Sunday games:

1. CAR 0-6 BYE
2. ARZ 1-6
3. CHI 2-5
4. DEN 2-5
5. NYG 2-5
6. NE 2-5
7. GB 2-4
8. MIN 2-4 (MNF)
9. LAC 2-4
10. TEN 2-4 BYE

The Denver win over GB was huge. I don't know if ARZ will win another game. The scary part is the Bears could fall all the way to 10th with a win next week. 

3 minutes ago, adam said:

Williams have given off some bad bust vibes. His attitudes sucks too. He does have a bit of Mahomes in him, but if you watch tape on both, Williams is nowhere near Mahomes.

After Week 6 Sunday games:

1. CAR 0-6 BYE
2. ARZ 1-6
3. CHI 2-5
4. DEN 2-5
5. NYG 2-5
6. NE 2-5
7. GB 2-4
8. MIN 2-4 (MNF)
9. LAC 2-4
10. TEN 2-4 BYE

The Denver win over GB was huge. I don't know if ARZ will win another game. The scary part is the Bears could fall all the way to 10th with a win next week. 

Actually with a  couple of plays outcome different we could be talking about  winning 4 in a row. I think the tank narrative will be on hold for awhile.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Actually with a  couple of plays outcome different we could be talking about  winning 4 in a row. I think the tank narrative will be on hold for awhile.

They have to win a few in a row, even just 2, to get rid of that narrative.  The way some teams are looking, now even the Chargers look beatable. The Lions got destroyed. They don't play PHI, MIA, or SF, which seem like the only elite teams (already lost to KC so I didn't count them). 

Ugh CAR won. Not good, now they have the same amount of wins as ARZ who may not win again. 

The Bears currently 5th after NE and NYG losses. A Bears win tonight would drop them to 8th (unless Denver beats KC) and only a half game from 12th.

A Bears loss would keep them locked in at #3.