Weekly Tankathon Meter

adam

With the Bears having two 1st rounders in 2024, it will be interesting to follow the progress of those picks throughout the season.

After Week 1, both CHI and CAR are 0-1, tied with 12 other teams (MIN is already 0-2). With only one week in the books, SOS is tied as every team that lost has faced a team that won. 

So both picks are between #2-#15. 

CHI @ TB (-2.5)

CAR vs NO (-3)

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Ugh! Too soon - but youre right :)

This is still Year 2 of the rebuild. If everything went right and they stayed healthy, there was a chance to slide into the back of the playoffs. Jenkins and Gordon already on IR. Week 1 they were favored, and lost. So now they have to win an extra game from Week 2-18 to make up the Week 1 loss. Nothing trending in the right direction so far, but time to turn it around. 

4 hours ago, adam said:

This is still Year 2 of the rebuild. If everything went right and they stayed healthy, there was a chance to slide into the back of the playoffs. Jenkins and Gordon already on IR. Week 1 they were favored, and lost. So now they have to win an extra game from Week 2-18 to make up the Week 1 loss. Nothing trending in the right direction so far, but time to turn it around. 

Only 6 more IR spots open out of the 8 a team can use, ouch.  I feel the Bears need jenkins to ignite the fire to their offense.  He opens those 50 yard screens with his tenacity.

11 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Only 6 more IR spots open out of the 8 a team can use, ouch.  I feel the Bears need jenkins to ignite the fire to their offense.  He opens those 50 yard screens with his tenacity.

He was a huge loss because that moved Whitehair to LG and Patrick to C. So there are 2 downgrades with one injury. C got worse and LG got worse because Jenkins was playing at a Pro Bowl level.

15 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Jenkins is huge for the line but also not dependable.  Wouldn't want to be Poles making that decision about a contract 

Poles has a lot more to do. Missed on the Velus Jones pick, has not seen any return on investment out of Gordon (now on IR), thought Davis was the answer at RG, the Claypool trade, and passing on Jalen Carter. A lot of questionable decisions. If Claypool and Davis were not character risks, why was Carter? I would rather take a home run swing and miss vs taking a strike bunting. 

The O-Line is inexcusable after two offseasons, a ton of draft picks, and a ton of cap space. All Poles did was draft Wright in the 1st and Jones in the 5th, and sign Patrick and Davis. He had 9 draft picks in the first 4 rounds the last two drafts and used 1 on the OL. He had over $100M in cap space and only signed Davis who had a ton of red flags. 

7 minutes ago, adam said:

Poles has a lot more to do. Missed on the Velus Jones pick, has not seen any return on investment out of Gordon (now on IR), thought Davis was the answer at RG, the Claypool trade, and passing on Jalen Carter. A lot of questionable decisions. If Claypool and Davis were not character risks, why was Carter? I would rather take a home run swing and miss vs taking a strike bunting. 

The O-Line is inexcusable after two offseasons, a ton of draft picks, and a ton of cap space. All Poles did was draft Wright in the 1st and Jones in the 5th, and sign Patrick and Davis. He had 9 draft picks in the first 4 rounds the last two drafts and used 1 on the OL. He had over $100M in cap space and only signed Davis who had a ton of red flags. 

He is the oline expert too....  he will get one more QB draft and a HC if they don't show promise some time this year. 

1 minute ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

He is the oline expert too....  he will get one more QB draft and a HC if they don't show promise some time this year. 

Developing a QB with Defensive HC rarely works unless you have a super OC. 

I really think Poles is getting too cute with things. If he just auto-drafted the last two years, the Bears would be in better shape than they are now. 

7 hours ago, adam said:

A lot of questionable decisions. If Claypool and Davis were not character risks, why was Carter? I would rather take a home run swing and miss vs taking a strike bunting. 

I think the Davis situation makes more sense now that we know what was going on behind the scenes.  And I have a feeling Claypool will be pulling his head out after last week.  I expect (and hope for) great things from him.  

13 hours ago, adam said:

I expect with d the banged up and a last of chemistry at this point that the d will struggle first six weeks but hopefully trend upward and flash. 

Offensivey I never want to see another game like that unless they are playing in a blizzard. 

On 9/16/2023 at 10:41 AM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Jenkins is huge for the line but also not dependable.  Wouldn't want to be Poles making that decision about a contract 

It's easy. You don't extend.  Half of being great is just attending.  He's shown lack of ability just to attend.  I like him, but he's unreliable.

16 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

See you are an optimist, you said (when Carolina loses).

Just going off the odds lol.

So after two weeks there are 9 winless teams, so the Bears have 2 picks in the top 9.

Week 3 games:

CHI @ KC (CHI loss)

DEN @ MIA (DEN loss)

LAC @ MIN (one team will have their first win)

HOU @ JAX (HOU loss)

NE @ NYJ

DAL @ ARZ (ARZ loss)

CAR @ SEA (CAR loss)

LAR @ CIN

So it looks like 6 teams will start 0-3 with CIN and NE with potential to, however, NE is playing Wilson, so they may win that one. LAR is tough, but it is hard to see CIN starting 0-3. I am going to assume both NE and CIN win, which would give CHI and ARZ both 2 picks in the top 6!

With 2 weeks in the books, the Bears have the 1st and 4th picks in the 2024 draft. The 1st is their own, and the 4th is from CAR. There are 4x 0-3 teams with DEN and MIN being the last two.

In Week 4, those 4 teams face off against each other:

DEN @ CHI (Battle of the Suck), two teams enter, one team sucks.

MIN @ CAR (Battle of the Suck Part Deux), two teams enter, one team sucks again.

So after this week, there will only be 2 winless teams, and the odds say it will be CHI and CAR lol. That would put them in line for the #1 and #2 pick in 2024. Insane.

Could you imagine that being some combination of Caleb Williams, Marvin Harrison Jr, Jared Verse, Jer'Zhan Newton, Olumuyiwa Fashnu.

The Bears could walk away with a true generational talent at QB and WR, or a combo of QB and Edge, QB and DL or OT. 

So at this point, would you rather see another 3-14 season with the chance at 2 top 5 picks, or 6-11 and 1 top 5 and 1 top 10 pick? I think the only way they stay with Fields is if they win 7 or more games, they need to play .500 ball the rest of the way and he needs to actually show development. If not, they have to get Williams, and if not the first pick, get one of the other QBs like Maye.

1 hour ago, killakrzydav said:

Caleb and Marvin please.

could you imagine what that woulds look like? Wow.

somewhere along the line we're gonna need a stud top 5 type DE too. cant win games without a pass rush, but Caleb and Marvin would be a dream.