Chase Young Trade Rumors

AZ54

19 minutes ago, jason said:

Please no. The price tag is too high. Let's not repeat the Mack mistake. A team needs draft capital, not a really good player on a team with several other holes.

Right now the rumor is the best offer is a 3rd Rd pick.   That seems reasonable to me and of course this also depends on what contract we'd have to give him.   We have no idea what he'll be asking for but there's zero chance Poles would pull the trigger on that trade without first talking with his agent and settling on broad parameters of a new deal.  

Pix,  for the draft I'm not so sure how the prospects look now but I recall researching the draft at edge a couple months ago and there weren't any can't miss players.  Jared Verse is listed as a top 10, maybe top 5, prospect but I just watched an entire game FSU vs. Duke and I didn't even realize he was on the field until  my son-in-law (FSU fan) mentioned him.    One game does not make or break a player but I'd like to see a top 10 prospect standout in a college game even if the stats aren't big.  There are a couple other 1st Rd edge players ranked in the 20s at Draft Network.  

Well you DO have space in your salary cap projections for a stud pass rusher. Every team wants one.

Jason's point about overpaying in draft capital is a good on though. It would depend on what they're asking. But as for cap space, that should be OK if we are managing the rest of it correctly, and I think we are.

I forgot to add that there are games to be played tomorrow.   If trade talks are really serious teams usually don't want to risk a player getting injured.  If talks are luke warm they might reduce snap counts by playing Young less on run downs but leaving him in for obvious passing downs.   Wash might hope  to increase his value if he gets another sack, or two.  

38 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

If no one trades for him, he's a UFA tis year. We are not playing for a playoff spot, so why do it now?

because if you can get him you get him. there are 30 other teams that might make a bid for him too.

also, the coaching staff is fighting for their jobs to win now.

I think any trades this year is based on ( can it make us get to the playoffs?) That's not happening this year. So for a GM that is rebuilding with the draft probably isnt going to trade draft capital. Some of these trade options will be available in FA. Why give up draft capital and have to try pay them ? Just give them a contract in FAgency and draft someone to. 

If its a 3rd round pick - no problem. But I don't think Washington only gets that and as much as Bears desperately need it - now is not the time to give up that sort of draft capital.  I do agree they need a massive infusion in the line.  They are by far and away the worse pass rushing team in the NFL. I think they are last with 10 sacks - next closet team has like 15.  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

If its a 3rd round pick - no problem. But I don't think Washington only gets that and as much as Bears desperately need it - now is not the time to give up that sort of draft capital.  I do agree they need a massive infusion in the line.  They are by far and away the worse pass rushing team in the NFL. I think they are last with 10 sacks - next closet team has like 15.  

I agree we are not good enough in the DL but later in the game we started blitzing and pressured on the line, the results were better. Coaching does matter.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I agree we are not good enough in the DL but later in the game we started blitzing and pressured on the line, the results were better. Coaching does matter.

I agree coaching matters and I do think they made adjustments, to your point, maybe too late.  But Herbert lit us up and he is an awfully good QB.  Awfully QB's are going to in general destroy teams that can't get to the QB (or teams that have to blitz all over the place - remember both opening day starting safeties were out).  

16 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I agree coaching matters and I do think they made adjustments, to your point, maybe too late.  But Herbert lit us up and he is an awfully good QB.  Awfully QB's are going to in general destroy teams that can't get to the QB (or teams that have to blitz all over the place - remember both opening day starting safeties were out).  

truth. there is no defense that cannot put pressure on a QB rushing only four that can succeed against good QBs. And there is no defense that blitzes all the time predictably that can succeed against a good QB either. You need to be able to get there with four.

We all knew this in August. A team without a four man pass rush can't beat good teams. We knew this would be our achilles heel this year. And we looked to the offense to grow this year, and we mostly predicted that they would start scoring 24+ points a game which would be good enough to beat half the league but not the good QBs, ending 8-9 or something. We knew where we were in the rebuild.

So yes, defense is part of why we are losing games, but it wasnt the goal for this year. The goal was to see if Fields could take the job with authority, or whether we'd need another QB. We have found out less about Fields than we like, but he hasnt clearly taken the job for sure.

We also found that our coaches make a lot of unforced errors. Bad clock management, questionable 4th and 1 calls in situations, bad play calling, poor public communication, and their part in failing to prepare Fields to take the job by force.

Next year this defense will be better. We need pass rushers, and we will get them.

The questions at hand are QB and coaching. And I expect them to fire the coaches and trade Fields.

If we hit on the next QB, we will be in good position to grow next year. The new QB will come into a situation that is markedly better in terms of protection and weapons than Fields or Trubisky ever did. And that QB will be tied to the contract of the head coach. It'll be a better position than we've been in in as long as I can remember.

But the choice of the new QB and head coach will have to be made correctly. They are both HUGE decisions and those choice, more than any other, will define our next 5 years.

This is better than being tied down to a coach or player that you know sucks and you cant move on from.

1 The worst thing in football is to be cap-tied to a turd long term
2 The next best thing is to have cap room to sign players that you hope will be good
3 The next best thing is to have cap room and draft capital to sign players that you hope will be good.
4 And the best thing is to have players that you know are good signed to long term manageable deals.

We are at #3, which is quite an improvement. But its all about the decisions we make from there. Get it right, and we are ascending. Wrong, and we will be miserable again for another era.

A new coach will have input in the next QB or if we keep Fields. I expect Poles to do that quickly so they can  form their draft and FAgency strategy . The third year will be the pressure year for Poles, he has to show what his rebuilding process has accomplished. He has to win games in year 3 . He created draft capital and cap space for next year. 

11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

A new coach will have input in the next QB or if we keep Fields. I expect Poles to do that quickly so they can  form their draft and FAgency strategy . The third year will be the pressure year for Poles, he has to show what his rebuilding process has accomplished. He has to win games in year 3 . He created draft capital and cap space for next year. 

Agree on everything but the bolded.

Poles will already have made the decision on QB. (And I believe if Fields stays, Flus stays)

39 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Or Harbaugh

As a tanget:  is there a chance, with the scandal currently swirling about him, Harbaugh won’t be coming to the NFL next year?  I read reports that say the NFL will not be a “safe harbor” if he’s found guilty of any of the accusations.  Michigan just rescinded their most recent offer for him to stay longer. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/why-jim-harbaugh-potentially-bolting-for-nfl-amid-michigan-cheating-scandal-could-prove-difficult-per-report/amp/

9 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

How about offer them a 2nd and get back a third and Chase?

That would make the pick value difference of a late 2nd rounder, which would be better for the Bears. However, I doubt they get anything higher than a 4th back if they only give up a 2nd (I could be wrong, but I am sure there will be other teams willing to give up a 2nd straight up for Young).