Montez Sweat for a 2024 2nd round pick

Stinger226

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad teams should not be buyers at the trade deadline. Didn’t we just do this with Claypool? It would be hard for this to end up being a worse trade, but just sign a good DE during the off season (like we should have done last season), keep the pick, and stay bad this year. 

5 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Bad teams should not be buyers at the trade deadline. Didn’t we just do this with Claypool? It would be hard for this to end up being a worse trade, but just sign a good DE during the off season (like we should have done last season), keep the pick, and stay bad this year. 

We have to see how it plays out Claypool was a bad deal . Seen where he had 4.41 speed coming out of college and has 27 pressures so far this year. This makes the whole line better.

It would be interesting - but I don't like moving JJ (now if they got a 2nd rounder back - fine). He's a really young player who is ascending and plays a premium position.  With all that said - as much as I HATE giving up a 2nd rounder for Sweat, he plays a premium position, haven't heard any lockeroom issues with him, and clealry FITS a major position of need. And they have cap space to do it.  It sure beats what they gave up for Khalil Mack at least.  

22 minutes ago, adam said:

Mixed feelings on this. Bears 2nd is going to be high. How will Sweat play on a line without studs next to him? 

I think this helps Nguokue get back on pace and perhaps add more pressure.  🤷‍♂️

And for what its worth Pickens and especially Dexter have been steadily getting better. According to Fox Sports they're still #3 in run defense.

image.png

Hadn't heard much of Sweat mostly due to him being foreshadowed by players like Young, Payne and Allen.  But when watching this highlight reel can't help think of how he reminds me of Julius Peppers.  And we know how well Peppers did for us.  No doubt Sweat is a solid all around player.  Also of note in most of his highlights is how often Young is on the sidelines in his street clothes.

*I was unable to drop a highlight video due to NFL copyright.  

This is another easy button move. Only CAR or ARZ had a better 2nd rounder compared to the Bears, and the leap to a first rounder is huge. This makes me think Poles is safe for another year, because I doubt they would let him do this if they were planning to fire him.

Sweat is a good player, but has never made an All-Pro team or Pro Bowl, so he is one of those fringe Pro Bowl guys, like top 10 in the conference. He is 27, Young is 24 and Burns is 25, so this is likely only a 4-year deal type player as he would be 31 at the end of a 4-year deal.

It seems like Poles shrinks the window with this type of move. What is the point of trading draft capital for a guy and extending him with a huge cap hit unless you believe you will be competitive in the next 2 years, right? 

Also, if you are using up cap space in 2025 and beyond with with this move, doesn't that hint that you expect not to be paying a QB on a 2nd contract in that window?

This is definitely a logical move, it addresses a need, but at a pretty hefty cost (early 2nd rounder + huge cap hit with extension), so now Poles has to be right on all the big ticket signings from here on out, otherwise the Bears will be stuck in mediocrity for the foreseeable future. 

With all that said, Edge is no longer the worst position group now with Sweat, Ngakoue, Walker, Robinson, Green. Pushing everyone down the roster helps. Now who drops off the 53-man?

8 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Wow - chase young going for mid round pick  to Niners. What a whiff by Poles. 

Poles got fleeced, the SF pick is a 3rd round comp pick and the Bears gave up pick #35 for a player 3 years older. That difference is a mid 2nd round pick. So the Bears gave a mid-2nd round pick MORE than the 49ers for Sweat over Young. I hope Poles was right on this one unlike the Claypool one.

12 minutes ago, adam said:

Poles got fleeced, the SF pick is a 3rd round comp pick and the Bears gave up pick #35 for a player 3 years older. That difference is a mid 2nd round pick. So the Bears gave a mid-2nd round pick MORE than the 49ers for Sweat over Young. I hope Poles was right on this one unlike the Claypool one.

Respectfully Disagree, I am thrilled he chose Monte Sweat over Chase Young. I was concerned over Young's injury history and lack of production after his stellar rookie season. Now, all of a sudden, it's the last year of his contract and he finds it best to trade street clothes for a uniform. Sweat is also, IMHO, a better fit for our defense. 

From Bearswire.usatoday:

In eight games this season with Washington, Sweat has totaled 32 tackles, including 10 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, 11 QB hits, two forced fumbles and one pass breakup.

Id rather spend the money on a Pass Rusher than a Corner who isn't an absolute ball hawk.

A good pass rush makes your secondary look much better - whoever they are. But as we have seen, a soild secondary gets lit up if you have no pass rush.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

Id rather spend the money on a Pass Rusher than a Corner who isn't an absolute ball hawk.

A good pass rush makes your secondary look much better - whoever they are. But as we have seen, a soild secondary gets lit up if you have no pass rush.

True.  

• adam changed the title to Montez Sweat for a 2024 2nd round pick
1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

I think it's a solid trade.  He'll probably sign a 4 year 90 million contract.  This a good spot for a big contract.  Now, we can draft an edge player and have a good one to pair him with.  I'll stop thinking we should keep Jaylon Johnson, as he is young and productive.

Actually, I don't know if they commit more early picks to the defense after this. Technically they just used a 2nd on an Edge with this trade, used a 2nd on Dexter, and a 3rd on Pickens. They really need to address OL.

2 minutes ago, adam said:

Actually, I don't know if they commit more early picks to the defense after this. Technically they just used a 2nd on an Edge with this trade, used a 2nd on Dexter, and a 3rd on Pickens. They really need to address OL.

I'm thinking 3T, EDGE, OT, C, FS, SS, OG and WR.  If they trade out of the first two picks, they can get it done in the first two rounds.  That's if they like Justin and Tyson.  If not, I'm really starting to like Shadeur Sanders...

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

Respectfully Disagree, I am thrilled he chose Monte Sweat over Chase Young. I was concerned over Young's injury history and lack of production after his stellar rookie season. Now, all of a sudden, it's the last year of his contract and he finds it best to trade street clothes for a uniform. Sweat is also, IMHO, a better fit for our defense. 

From Bearswire.usatoday:

I prefer Sweat, but #35 for Sweat vs #97 or higher for Young is a super value and low risk. They are using a comp pick, so it is free chicken for them. The Bears can't afford for Sweat not to work out or not stay healthy. If he does, that's two top 35 picks wasted in back to back years, which is hard to recover from when you are rebuilding. You can't miss on any of your top picks.

If Young plays well, that's a massive win for SF, if he doesn't, it literally does not hurt them at all.

29 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm thinking 3T, EDGE, OT, C, FS, SS, OG and WR.  If they trade out of the first two picks, they can get it done in the first two rounds.  That's if they like Justin and Tyson.  If not, I'm really starting to like Shadeur Sanders...

With so many holes, I really hope they don't need to take a QB. Use one of those on top 5 studs, then trade down and gain back a 2nd.

Brian Mitchel, a Washington sports figure said that Sweat is more signable than Young. Young is a me me player and will ask for the moon. Sweat has only missed 6 games in 4 years for injury. Young has missed 23 games in 4 years. No one knows on how all of this plays out. We need more time to see what Poles actually builds here in his third year  not at  1 and a 1/2 years. It would be dumb to think Warren didn't sigh off on this. Poles isn't going anywhere anytime soon.