Week 14 Official Game Thread - DET @ CHI, SUN, 12/10, Noon, CHI +3, O/U 42

adam

21 minutes ago, adam said:

I still have NO clue what Poles saw in Velus Jones, I think everyone's mocks had Cordale Flott (CB) in that round. For some reason, the sim drafts always put him in mine. The craziest thing, Velus and Cordale are cousins. Small world, lol.  

I think he saw speed, and took a flyer that they could teach him. They needed a fast WR to open the defense and give Justin a deep target. We reached. We reached because we needed to evaluate Fields. We reached, and it didnt work out. Reaching is often a mistake.

So I GET it. I know why he did it, but its obviously not the way to build a team in general. It was two years ago, and we had nothing to really build the team with yet.

So I kind of give Poles a break for him and Claypool - same problem, and unfortunately same outcome too.

But i dont think Poles would have taken a Velus Jones in the 3rd this past year, or in this coming draft. We not in that needing to reach situation anymore.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, adam said:

I still have NO clue what Poles saw in Velus Jones, I think everyone's mocks had Cordale Flott (CB) in that round. For some reason, the sim drafts always put him in mine. The craziest thing, Velus and Cordale are cousins. Small world, lol.  

I think he had a plan and didnt get the WR he wanted and was polarizes by his speed. Knowing he needed to try to find weapons, he pilled the trigger. Its a lesson he will learn. This is his first job at GM, he is smart enough to not repeat mistakes. I think he is pretty good at seeing talent but he will make mistakes along the way. Shanahan traded 3 first round picks for Trey Lance, I think he is one of the best football minds in the NFL. Everyone makes mistakes, its what you do with everything else that makes you a winner.

I think Poles knew he was reaching when he drafted Jones and did it anyway because he had to to try to evaluate Fields. i dont think he thought it was a smart pick, I think he knew he was in an impossible situation and took a low percentage swing to try to get something.

I think Poles knew it wasnt ideal, and was trapped. I dont think it's part of his normal way of thinking. Same with Claypool.

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think he had a plan and didnt get the WR he wanted and was polarizes by his speed. Knowing he needed to try to find weapons, he pilled the trigger. Its a lesson he will learn. This is his first job at GM, he is smart enough to not repeat mistakes. I think he is pretty good at seeing talent but he will make mistakes along the way. Shanahan traded 3 first round picks for Trey Lance, I think he is one of the best football minds in the NFL. Everyone makes mistakes, its what you do with everything else that makes you a winner.

I didn't think about him panicking when his guys came off the board, and there was a crazy run of WRs right after the Brisker pick, 4 out of 5 WRs came off the board 2 picks later (Thornton, Pickens, Pierce, and Moore). Very true about mistakes, we would rather have them not be in the first or second or with a trade involved. SF got SUPER lucky they drafted Purdy too.

10 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think he saw speed, and took a flyer that they could teach him. They needed a fast WR to open the defense and give Justin a deep target. We reached. We reached because we needed to evaluate Fields. We reached, and it didnt work out. Reaching is often a mistake.

So I GET it. I know why he did it, but its obviously not the way to build a team in general. It was two years ago, and we had nothing to really build the team with yet.

So I kind of give Poles a break for him and Claypool - same problem, and unfortunately same outcome too.

But i dont think Poles would have taken a Velus Jones in the 3rd this past year, or in this coming draft. We not in that needing to reach situation anymore.

It looks like Poles got a little desperate between Velus and Claypool. The Velus assessment probably falls more on the area scout that recommended him than Poles. 

I am trying to forget the Claypool trade. 

9 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

IMG_6054.jpeg

5th rounder by JAX in 2020. This is a guy that probably came out of college a year late (like our Sewell). In his Junior Year, he had 68-985 and 7 TDs at Texas (Biletnikoff finalist). Then he had a down year his senior year with some injuries.

What is crazy is, he seems like an upgraded ESB, who is slightly taller, heavier, and faster. He has a surprising good pedigree to not work out. I wonder what happened to him? He was the Jaguars 2nd highest graded offensive player in 2020 with a 73.4 PFF score, yet was cut after his rookie year as a 5th rounder? Then he went to the Giants and actually had a decent 62.3 grade. Outside of DJ Moore, no other WR on the Bears has a grade over 60.

He has a cool Twitter handle: @Call_In_Johnson

I didn't know the Bears signed him to the PS on Oct 10th, so he has been with the team for over 2 months. Of all the random guys the Bears pickup on their PS, this guy may stick. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

5th rounder by JAX in 2020. This is a guy that probably came out of college a year late (like our Sewell). In his Junior Year, he had 68-985 and 7 TDs at Texas (Biletnikoff finalist). Then he had a down year his senior year with some injuries.

What is crazy is, he seems like an upgraded ESB, who is slightly taller, heavier, and faster. He has a surprising good pedigree to not work out. I wonder what happened to him? He was the Jaguars 2nd highest graded offensive player in 2020 with a 73.4 PFF score, yet was cut after his rookie year as a 5th rounder? Then he went to the Giants and actually had a decent 62.3 grade. Outside of DJ Moore, no other WR on the Bears has a grade over 60.

I didn't know the Bears signed him to the PS on Oct 10th, so he has been with the team for over 2 months. Of all the random guys the Bears pickup on their PS, this guy may stick. 

I imagine his playbook knowledge is going to limit him, but if he has a good football IQ he might have enough down to get some snaps in 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

If Justin Fields throws for 238 yards-2 TDs-70 yards rushing- 1 TD, do we win the game?

If he has a total of 300 yards of total offense AND 3 TDs, I think the Bears win. With RBs, that would be close to, if not over 400 yards of offense. 

4 hours ago, adam said:

Better than asking Mooney to be the lead blocker on screens. sheesh.

1 minute ago, Stinger226 said:

The only other QB in the league that could have pulled off that kind of drive was Jackson. This is how you win games with a Justin Fields type QB. Maybe Getsy is finally starting to get it. 

Yeah, not many can do that.