Hopefully Bears Related - Joe Flacco - Fri - ESPN2

Clenched_CLAW

Tune in or set those VCR/DVRs for the:

NCAA® Division I Football Championship

Friday December 14, 2007 7:00 P.M. CST on ESPN2

to witness the Battle of Titans:

The Arm

University of Delaware quarterback Joe Flacco - shown running ;)

SIUDEFOOTBALL6.jpg

versus

The Feet

Appalachian State quarterback Armanti Edwards

d771f351-158c-4a5c-939d-311663fbf111.jpg

This Post Endorsed by the CClaw Committee to Select Joe Flacco :)

A recent article that provides a glimmer of hope for his selection:

Rex calls for a keeper by Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun-Times

Another quarterback the Bears have been watching closely for two years is Delaware's Joe Flacco,

who plays Saturday in the Division I-AA title game. Gabriel saw Flacco in an impressive effort at

the end of last season, and over the last two years, the 6-6, 230-pounder has thrown for 6,712

yards and 40 touchdowns with only 15 interceptions.

da Bears being able to develop him is a subject for another thread.

:bang

I'm gonna get the DVR set to record that game so I can watch it sometime this weekend. I haven't seen Falco play yet but he comes from a small school and the Bears are already supposedly interested in him.

He's also the exact type of guy I'm talking about getting, ie, later round pick with some upside that other teams may not be as familiar with. You can draft him and let him develop (without spending tons of guaranteed money) and have him ready if Orton/Rex don't pan out.

he's probably the 4th best QB in the draft and I'd love to get him with our 2nd round selection. I have been calling for him for a while, and he is similar to Rothlesberger, except he has a stronger arm but less mobility. And Flacco is listed at 237 I believe.

Flaco has windup that seems like he's in slow motion. It takes him forever to throw a pass. IMO that just kills a guy in the NFL as Oline, LB, and DBs all read the start of that windup and wreak havoc. He might end up a decent QB in the NFL but I'm not interested. This is one reason I think Colt Brennan will be a better pro, quickly read the defense and once he decides where it's going it's gone and on target. His throwing motion looks odd but the balls gets to where it needs to be on time.

Personally I think this Flacco hype from the Bears is the beginning of their QB smokescreen. It will be hard to know who, if any of these QBs they are targetting.

Flaco has windup that seems like he's in slow motion. It takes him forever to throw a pass. IMO that just kills a guy in the NFL as Oline, LB, and DBs all read the start of that windup and wreak havoc. He might end up a decent QB in the NFL but I'm not interested. This is one reason I think Colt Brennan will be a better pro, quickly read the defense and once he decides where it's going it's gone and on target. His throwing motion looks odd but the balls gets to where it needs to be on time.

Personally I think this Flacco hype from the Bears is the beginning of their QB smokescreen. It will be hard to know who, if any of these QBs they are targetting.

Brennan will probably lead the league in passes knocked down.

I'm gonna get the DVR set to record that game so I can watch it sometime this weekend. I haven't seen Falco play yet but he comes from a small school and the Bears are already supposedly interested in him.

He's also the exact type of guy I'm talking about getting, ie, later round pick with some upside that other teams may not be as familiar with. You can draft him and let him develop (without spending tons of guaranteed money) and have him ready if Orton/Rex don't pan out.

I've seen rumblings that his stock has shot up so much that he could go in the 2nd round.

I would love to get this guy though. From what I've read, he has almost everything you want in a QB.....size...arm....pocket awareness.....leadership....

I have been calling for him for a while,

My Brother!

:dabears

I have been mentioning :chair this kid for weeks on the Bearstalk board; it's great to join forces to get the energy flowing to select him. :cheers

and he is similar to Rothlesberger, except he has a stronger arm but less mobility. And Flacco is listed at 237 I believe.

Ben seems like a poor man's Joe. :D

he's probably the 4th best QB in the draft and I'd love to get him with our 2nd round selection.

Joe might be the fourth most ready to start on Sundays next fall, but, IMdO, he is in the top 2 for perennial pro-bowl quality.

Dennis Dixon is the other QB.

tx_dixon_si.jpg

He has a rep as a runner, but, he threw, not ran, ALL the TD passes in high school and it's the current system that has him on the run.

He has great character, ability, and shown tremendous growth and willingness to learn.

I'll admit that I support choad (or whoever he is here) in his assertion to draft 2 QBs annually until a HoF QB is on the roster.

I know I'll be rooting for a stud OT, Joe, Dennis, and the BPA = OG/OT or S or WR on the first day next Spring. :bears

I'd love to see us get him in the 3rd round, but that's only if we can get Long/Clady with our 1st and maybe another upper echelon OL with our 2nd pick.

That is what I am hopeing...actually I could care less if the Bears get Flacco because the Bears couldn't develop Peyton Manning, let alone this guy. I just want to see a stud OT and OG in the first 3 rounds, preferrably OT in round 1.

That is what I am hopeing...actually I could care less if the Bears get Flacco because the Bears couldn't develop Peyton Manning, let alone this guy. I just want to see a stud OT and OG in the first 3 rounds, preferrably OT in round 1.

I understand and da Bears are equally adept at developing O-Line talent. :banghead

If da Bears acquire a stud OG in FA :pray , could you care a little more about a first day QB? :)

The Bears need help in so many other places it would be insane to take a QB on day 1. They need 2 offensive lineman, a safety, wr, dt even a running back before they need to address QB. To take a QB that early would be a terrible move.

I can certainly see going for an O-Lineman in the first round, but the Bears have been week at QB as long as I can remember. Occasionally they'll get good play out of a guy for a half season or so, then something will go wrong. With the way their situation is overall, I could certainly see how you would rank a QB as their #2 need right now, esp. if Grossman doesn't return for whatever reason.

Brennan will probably lead the league in passes knocked down.

I'd say of all my concerns with Brennan, 99% of which have nothing to do with his actual QB play, the only real concern I'd have comes from his relative un-orthodox delivery that makes him smaller than he is (sidearms the ball) and I believe it will lead to some deflections. At the same time he has the size which should give him the vision to at least see downfield and he does have a very strong & accurate arm with a quick release.

He really does have NFL tools which seperates him from Chang and some of the Texas Tech QB's of the past.

My Brother!

:dabears

I have been mentioning :chair this kid for weeks on the Bearstalk board; it's great to join forces to get the energy flowing to select him. :cheers

Ben seems like a poor man's Joe. :D

Joe might be the fourth most ready to start on Sundays next fall, but, IMdO, he is in the top 2 for perennial pro-bowl quality.

Dennis Dixon is the other QB.

tx_dixon_si.jpg

He has a rep as a runner, but, he threw, not ran, ALL the TD passes in high school and it's the current system that has him on the run.

He has great character, ability, and shown tremendous growth and willingness to learn.

I'll admit that I support choad (or whoever he is here) in his assertion to draft 2 QBs annually until a HoF QB is on the roster.

I know I'll be rooting for a stud OT, Joe, Dennis, and the BPA = OG/OT or S or WR on the first day next Spring. :bears

Haha, I don't know if I go with 2 Qb's, but I'm really not opposed to drafting one QB every 1-2 years for an extended period of time until you finally find the guy. Somewhere in there the Bears are bound to get it right, or at least I would hope they would.

I understand and da Bears are equally adept at developing O-Line talent. :banghead

If da Bears acquire a stud OG in FA :pray , could you care a little more about a first day QB? :)

Which is why I want the Bears to give big money to Tony Sporado and have him come in and become the OC. Sporado has an awesome reputation in Dallas and he completely rebuilt that oline into one of the premiere lines and has a large part to do with that offense. I'm sure Dallas would put up a major fight and it isn't the Bears MO to go out and give big bucks to a coordinator, but if there was ever a time, this would be it, imo (since the team still has a lot of talent, they just need to revamp the oline, which is one of the most important aspects of a team, but given this years draft class and crop of FA's, it is entirely possible to revampe the line in the off-season).

Clenched_CLAW - "his assertion to draft 2 QBs annually until a HoF QB is on the roster"

i strongly believe that this team needs to carry 4 qb's on the active roster and at least one on the practice squad every season until they can find legitimate qb's to play in the nfl. notice i said multiple.

if other teams can keep producing a quality starters AND produce lower round backups that are sought after in the nfl when their contracts are up as starters, i see no reason the bears can't either. a prime example was green bay. look at how many qb's behind favre went on to become starters in the nfl or at the least quality backups. this is one viable way where you can make trades with another franchise to get either more draft picks or a special player you are after.

it just takes a commitment by this franchise to hire (and PAY them good money) key personnel that will be able to tell the difference between real gold and fools gold and groom those said qb's into very real pro prospects.

otherwise without some real talent evaluator we would be hanging onto guys that are no better than quinn type players and defeating the whole process and go on as we have over 4 decades.

on a different note: i miss putting titles up on replies. is there something i am missing on how to do that in this forum?

Clenched_CLAW - "his assertion to draft 2 QBs annually until a HoF QB is on the roster"

i strongly believe that this team needs to carry 4 qb's on the active roster and at least one on the practice squad every season until they can find legitimate qb's to play in the nfl. notice i said multiple.

if other teams can keep producing a quality starters AND produce lower round backups that are sought after in the nfl when their contracts are up as starters, i see no reason the bears can't either. a prime example was green bay. look at how many qb's behind favre went on to become starters in the nfl or at the least quality backups. this is one viable way where you can make trades with another franchise to get either more draft picks or a special player you are after.

it just takes a commitment by this franchise to hire (and PAY them good money) key personnel that will be able to tell the difference between real gold and fools gold and groom those said qb's into very real pro prospects.

otherwise without some real talent evaluator we would be hanging onto guys that are no better than quinn type players and defeating the whole process and go on as we have over 4 decades.

on a different note: i miss putting titles up on replies. is there something i am missing on how to do that in this forum?

I also think that as much as it comes down to drafting talent, it also comes down to having a great system in place that allows young players to develop and flourish. The Bears have been able to do that on the defensive side and to some extent at the WR/TE position but for the most part they have relied on veteran FA's (oline), RB's (Benson hasn't panned out yet, TJ was a FA) and have not really had much progress or guys step up/develop on the offensive side.

I think the Bears need to look real hard at themselves and ask why this is happening. Is JA not giving the offensive staff enough talent in the draft or is the offensive staff not putting those younger players in a position where they can thrive, grow and develop or is it a combination of both (lack of bringing in enough young talent pencilled in with inept coaches that aren't allowing the young talent to flourish). I do really believe at least a large chunk of it comes to the Bears offensive coaches being relatively inept (and for sure not amongst the best in the league).

I'd like to see them finally find something that works and damn it I will continue to call for Sporano from Dallas or Fassel. I'm sure there are other prime targets out there that I don't know of too.

Which is why I want the Bears to give big money to Tony Sporado and have him come in and become the OC. Sporado has an awesome reputation in Dallas and he completely rebuilt that oline into one of the premiere lines and has a large part to do with that offense. I'm sure Dallas would put up a major fight and it isn't the Bears MO to go out and give big bucks to a coordinator,

:lol:

I started to read your post and thought, 'Yea, Tony Soprano could come in and help clean up the coaching mess.'.

Tony-Soprano_shotgun.jpg

Anyway, I honestly LOVE your idea, but, as you acknowledged: "it isn't the Bears MO to go out and give big bucks to a coordinator", especially after just giving

Ron an extension. IMdO, the best we can hope for at this point is a middleman to implement a gameday spontaneity, someone to continue the

'hurry-up' that has worked well this season.

but if there was ever a time, this would be it, imo (since the team still has a lot of talent, they just need to revamp the oline, which is one of the most important aspects of a team, but given this years draft class and crop of FA's, it is entirely possible to revampe the line in the off-season).

I totally agree with this and believe it will be a great test of this staff's mettle and ability. In the meantime, we can enjoy the Neckbeard Show. :headbang

The Bears need help in so many other places it would be insane to take a QB on day 1. They need 2 offensive lineman, a safety, wr, dt even a running back before they need to address QB. To take a QB that early would be a terrible move.

I follow, but I'm hard pressed to pass up what could be a franchise QB. Just because we've failed on the last couple, doesn't mean we should stop trying. I really don't think much of what we'd draft would be an immediate help anyway.

But I agree with youoverall assessment. 2OL, S, WR, DT, RB, QB. However I think our orders may differ. I also think we could find at least one of the OL in FA, as well as a safety. I see DT as something we'd try in a later round. What I'd like to see would be:

1. QB

2. OL

3. WR

4. RB

5. OL

6. DT

7. S