The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

31 minutes ago, adam said:

That would be insane. Washington is the worst team in the league, and then they trade away 2 additional 1sts to move one spot? So now they have Williams, cool, but no 1st round talent around him for 3 years? Also, if you have multiple teams offering something comparable, it shows how much they believe in Williams too, so you almost have to consider keeping the #1 if multiple teams are offering that much. If it's only Washington, then I think you take it, and press your luck with Fields or Maye. Washington probably ends up with a top 5 pick the next two years (top 3 in 2025 almost guaranteed), so you have two more years of hedging your bet on a QB. 

It will be interesting to see how Carolina does this year without a 1st rounder. They have a weak roster, their best player was a 35 year old WR, and I doubt they attract many top end FAs (who would want to go there?). So they may end up with another top 5 pick in 2025 (makes the Bears 2nd rounder be a top 37 pick). Even if Young improves, they will be out of his rookie deal by the time they are even average again.

This would seem to be the trend for any bad team that trades up and gives up multiple picks.

It might be insane, and the report might be reaching too because Washington hasnt done anything yet BUT there are teams dumb enough to trade multiple first rounders away. We used to be one of them!

I am secretly hoping that when I see the predraft film, that I start to believe that there is more than one tier 1 QB in this draft. If we could trade the #1 pick down, and grab a great QB at 2, 3 or even 9 then the legend of the Carolina trade would continue to grow like a weed. That would be amazing!

Imagine having 2 picks in the first round in 2025 and 2026. All for passing on Bryce Young.

BUT if on the other hand, I come out of it thinking that Caleb is the next big thing, then Im gonna be thrilled the Bears will finally have that guy at QB.

Either way, that has to be the mission this year - get that QB who can take you to the promised land. Everything else is icing, but dang there sure is a lot of it on the potential table isnt there?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

It might be insane, and the report might be reaching too because Washington hasnt done anything yet BUT there are teams dumb enough to trade multiple first rounders away. We used to be one of them!

I am secretly hoping that when I see the predraft film, that I start to believe that there is more than one tier 1 QB in this draft. If we could trade the #1 pick down, and grab a great QB at 2, 3 or even 9 then the legend of the Carolina trade would continue to grow like a weed. That would be amazing!

Imagine having 2 picks in the first round in 2025 and 2026. All for passing on Bryce Young.

BUT if on the other hand, I come out of it thinking that Caleb is the next big thing, then Im gonna be thrilled the Bears will finally have that guy at QB.

Either way, that has to be the mission this year - get that QB who can take you to the promised land. Everything else is icing, but dang there sure is a lot of it on the potential table isnt there?

There really is a lot of potential, but at the end of the day, draft capital is just that, capital. Unless whatever you use it on has a high Return on Investment, then it's a wash. So it does give Poles more bullets, but he can't miss on too many. I ultimately think his experience with Mahomes, then Fields will give him one of the best perspectives in the game about the QB position going forward. Also, Cunningham was with Hurts and then got to see Fields. Those are two unique experiences but provide a common data point in Fields. With all of that, I think they know which way they are going unless an nuclear offer comes in.

If Washington is willing to give up the #2, and TWO OTHER FIRST ROUND PICKS, then Poles would be insane to turn that down. That's foundation building, and the Bears would be able to build a stacked roster instead of a QB on a team full of scrubs.

11 minutes ago, jason said:

If Washington is willing to give up the #2, and TWO OTHER FIRST ROUND PICKS, then Poles would be insane to turn that down. That's foundation building, and the Bears would be able to build a stacked roster instead of a QB on a team full of scrubs.

Spot on, what will drive that kind of return will be other teams wanting the pick.

41 minutes ago, jason said:

it all depends on who you think Caleb can be for the Bears I guess.

You're not wrong that trading down and gaining a package like that would be franchise altering. And you could trade it down again too and it starts to look like Madden or the draft sites how silly it gets except in this case, it's actually real. So there is a great argument for what you're saying. Assuming you think really well of one of the other QBs.

But if you really believe Caleb could be a Hall of Fame QB and win multiple superbowls, then it's worth the price.

But who knows? I guess you try to put a percentage on it, and weigh the options.

This is a defining moment for the next decade+ of the Bears, and it's a really difficult question to answer.

I guess the best thing to say is all the options don't suck, so we're sitting pretty no matter which way it goes.

26 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

it all depends on who you think Caleb can be for the Bears I guess.

You're not wrong that trading down and gaining a package like that would be franchise altering. And you could trade it down again too and it starts to look like Madden or the draft sites how silly it gets except in this case, it's actually real. So there is a great argument for what you're saying. Assuming you think really well of one of the other QBs.

But if you really believe Caleb could be a Hall of Fame QB and win multiple superbowls, then it's worth the price.

But who knows? I guess you try to put a percentage on it, and weigh the options.

This is a defining moment for the next decade+ of the Bears, and it's a really difficult question to answer.

I guess the best thing to say is all the options don't suck, so we're sitting pretty no matter which way it goes.

Years and years have gone by with so many of these "once in a lifetime" guys. The platitudes and hyperbole happens every year about this guy and that guy, but it's always a guess. Far too many fail, and it's pure 50/50 crap shoot at best.

And we've also seen far too many guys who legitimately could have been HoFers in terms of their talent, but were failed by the drafting franchise through either a lack of coaching support or offensive teammate support. 

I guess the point I'm making is that putting Caleb Williams behind the Bears' OL, with the Bears' offensive weapons, is basically throwing a sheep to wolves yet again...and setting the franchise back another 3-4 years.

3 minutes ago, jason said:

Years and years have gone by with so many of these "once in a lifetime" guys. The platitudes and hyperbole happens every year about this guy and that guy, but it's always a guess. Far too many fail, and it's pure 50/50 crap shoot at best.

And we've also seen far too many guys who legitimately could have been HoFers in terms of their talent, but were failed by the drafting franchise through either a lack of coaching support or offensive teammate support. 

I guess the point I'm making is that putting Caleb Williams behind the Bears' OL, with the Bears' offensive weapons, is basically throwing a sheep to wolves yet again...and setting the franchise back another 3-4 years.

I read an article where Caleb Williams actually said he was better than Mahomes. It was right after he won the Hiesman Trophy. The reason Mahomes got great was having a coach that developed him and a great team around him,  PLUS his talent. If he was drafted by the Bears  he would have never become the best QB in the league. I think Poles is one year away from building a team to have a plug and play QB the same situation SF put Purdy in. What might be bizziare is Bagent might turn into Purdy with a couple of years of development , wouldnt that be the bomb while we argue over other QBs.

2 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I read an article where Caleb Williams actually said he was better than Mahomes. It was right after he won the Hiesman Trophy. The reason Mahomes got great was having a coach that developed him and a great team around him,  PLUS his talent. If he was drafted by the Bears  he would have never become the best QB in the league. I think Poles is one year away from building a team to have a plug and play QB the same situation SF put Purdy in. What might be bizziare is Bagent might turn into Purdy with a couple of years of development , wouldnt that be the bomb while we argue over other QBs.

Yeah, if that's true, it's yet another red flag for Caleb Williams. Also, I completely agree about Mahomes. If he were drafted by the Bears, he would have been ruined.

16 minutes ago, jason said:

yeah all good points, and they go to the question of who you think Williams will be. i sure dont have an answer to that question, but if I dont think he's gonna be a HOFer, then the trade is an easy option. But if he is one of those rare QBs, he's worth 6 or 8 first rounders. And i wish to hell I knew which he is gonna be.

2 hours ago, jason said:

Yeah, if that's true, it's yet another red flag for Caleb Williams. Also, I completely agree about Mahomes. If he were drafted by the Bears, he would have been ruined.

I am not convinced that Mahomes would have been wruined with the Bears.  And if Caleb is a huge talent and we miss taking him, there will be huge regret.

If Washington wants to offer up #2, their 2nd rounder, a 1st next year, a 2nd next year and another 1st (or Jonathan Allen)…that is the price is takes me to move from #1. I than would take Maye. 

If they don’t - I draft Caleb

Draft Rome or Nabers 

Trade Fields for Steelers pick - trade down and eventually draft a center. If I stay at pick - take best oline available. 

On 2/5/2024 at 12:53 AM, Daventry said:

I am not convinced that Mahomes would have been wruined with the Bears.  And if Caleb is a huge talent and we miss taking him, there will be huge regret.

Mahomes would not have been ruined but wouldn't be the QB he is today. Maybe moving on from Williams is regretful but winning is all that matters. If Poles takes a different path, he won't regret it  as long as we get to the same end. Does SF regret taking Lance, yes , and their in the SB anyway.

2 to 1unfortunately isn't the haul you suggest. Anybody takes it though if offered. Getting a this year 2 and other trash is, by the numbers, what 2-1 is worth although there is zero historical context to go by.

Realistically, Poles isn't going to pass on Caleb. No GM every has passed a generational #1 for anybody else ever.

I'm pretending I'm Ryan Poles and I fleeced a team last draft for a star player and draft capital. If I trade again, I make history and if I get an even bigger haul, I enter Jimmy Johnson territory.

I trade the pick to some team in the top 3 Wsh or NE for a swap plus 2024 2nd and 2025 1st and a 2026 2nd. I would also try and get a young player under contract who fits the scheme on defense and financially (Payne or Allen) are my thoughts.

This is with the idea of doing what NYG did with Danial Jones, making him ball out but, i would like the Bears to draft Jordon Travis as an insurance policy, similar to what Detroit has done with Hendon Hooker who may be prime to take over for Goff next season. 

Keeping Fields in a prove it scenario is similar to what was done with Trubisky, Roquan, Mooney and Johnson.

With only 6 picks in this draft and still some roster building to be done, acquiring draft capital needs to be prioritized.

It depends on what you think of the QBs.

If you can get one of those multiple superbowl winning hall of famer types, theyre worth more than 5 first rounders.

If you dont think any of them are the guy, or you miss and take a bust, then yes, but then again you can pick busts with all the draft picks you acquire too.

But for real, if you dont have one of those "generational" QBs, then youre just playing exhibition football and wont really have any shot at winning superbowls. they are worth pretty much any price.

But again, it depends on what you think of the prospects.

19 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

It depends on what you think of the QBs.

If you can get one of those multiple superbowl winning hall of famer types, theyre worth more than 5 first rounders.

If you dont think any of them are the guy, or you miss and take a bust, then yes, but then again you can pick busts with all the draft picks you acquire too.

But for real, if you dont have one of those "generational" QBs, then youre just playing exhibition football and wont really have any shot at winning superbowls. they are worth pretty much any price.

But again, it depends on what you think of the prospects.

The only for sure pick in this draft is MHJ , and we have a chance to get him. Odds of a generational QB in this years draft aren't great, only one has that tag and Williams has questions that need to be answered before he gets that crown. Several have a chance to be good but Mahomes? 

2 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Why do you always do this to yourself?  That statement is so arguable.  I would easily put Bowers and the two tackles in that class.

I give my opinions, I'm not saying other players won't be good, but an exceptional star in the league will be MHJ. People are referring to a generational QB, that's what I'm comparing to. Easy to make general comments so you're never wrong but I say what I think.

Just now, Stinger226 said:

He watched every game he ever played in college and I  trust his opinion.  Great potential with some flaws.

I think the hype has elevated him into a dangerous area.  He is a prospect that has good and bad points.  For me, the strongest way a prospect can become a elite is going into a a great situation. That consists of ownership, gm, coaching, line, and weapons, look at Mahomes.  If Trevor went to KC or NE, I believe he would be regarded much higher too.  Can the Bears get him there is the question. Like Swift say, he might be best sitting a year.

11 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think the hype has elevated him into a dangerous area.  He is a prospect that has good and bad points.  For me, the strongest way a prospect can become a elite is going into a a great situation. That consists of ownership, gm, coaching, line, and weapons, look at Mahomes.  If Trevor went to KC or NE, I believe he would be regarded much higher too.  Can the Bears get him there is the question. Like Swift say, he might be best sitting a year.

Agree with all of that.

• adam unfeatured this topic