The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

3 minutes ago, adam said:

This is arguably the best and most impactful offseason in franchise history, let's enjoy it, agree to disagree, and just Bear Down. 50% of the time, I am right 100% of the time!

When giving a towel snap, it is prudent to proof read...😎🍻🍻

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can’t recall whether anyone has referenced anything from “First Round Mock” but the author, Daniel Kelley puts an interesting spin on the up and coming QBs.  Kelly was once an NFL scout and worked with the Jets on Parcell’s staff.  He’s been out of the business for some years (but wants back in) so take what he says with a grain of salt.  He claims to have said out loud that Lawrence, Trey Lance and Zach Wilson would all be busts coming out of college.  He’s got a bit of a strong opinion of himself…nevertheless…. He ranks Williams as a “third round pick”.  And ranks Rattler, Penix, Nix, Daniels and Maye all as 1st round talent.
 https://firstroundmock.com/2024/01/shocking-2024-nfl-draft-board-released-quarterbacks/

33 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Can’t recall whether anyone has referenced anything from “First Round Mock” but the author, Daniel Kelley puts an interesting spin on the up and coming QBs.  Kelly was once an NFL scout and worked with the Jets on Parcell’s staff.  He’s been out of the business for some years (but wants back in) so take what he says with a grain of salt.  He claims to have said out loud that Lawrence, Trey Lance and Zach Wilson would all be busts coming out of college.  He’s got a bit of a strong opinion of himself…nevertheless…. He ranks Williams as a “third round pick”.  And ranks Rattler, Penix, Nix, Daniels and Maye all as 1st round talent.
 https://firstroundmock.com/2024/01/shocking-2024-nfl-draft-board-released-quarterbacks/

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.  The for sure pick is going to be complicated and coming out of this draft will be a different story than we have been envisoning.  My take on Daniels sunk a little while Nix and Milton rose. 

Not sure Milton has the snaps though to show consistency, it was Hooker who was lighting it up last year until he went down with an ACL. 

48 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.  The for sure pick is going to be complicated and coming out of this draft will be a different story than we have been envisoning.  My take on Daniels sunk a little while Nix and Milton rose. 

Not sure Milton has the snaps though to show consistency, it was Hooker who was lighting it up last year until he went down with an ACL. 

Reading more on the take of Rattler is intriguing.   Kelly says while at SC he played the “toughest FBS schedule” and with the addition of Dowell Loggains ‘began his maturation of being NFL ready’.  Loggains is the same guy who was with the Bears as QB coach / OC the last years of Cutler and the sole year Glennon started for us.  😒

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Ok this is awsome. I can't even react to it yet because of all the names Ive seen nothing on - but this is the kind of non-echo chamber stuff that reinvigorates the whole discussion. And I dunno if Im gonna think this guy is a genius or a moron, but it's gonna provoke many more hours of film watching on new candidates. NICE.

I was surprised to hear the Raiders were interviewing Getsy for their OC opening. Now the Patriots are also interviewing him for his expert play calling (cough, choke, vomit ...)

I saw this which might be an interesting explanation, (from windycitygridiron.com)

The Patriots are planning to interview former Bears OC Luke Getsy for their vacant OC job. As our colleague Jeff Berckes has speculated, the Pats, like the Raiders, could be gathering some intel on a Chicago QB in case of a trade.

I know nothing about this guy, Berckes, but if he is correct it appears two teams might be scouting via the back door for the possible trade involving Fields.

I agree Pix, it certainly could be gathering intel on Chicago's draft plans. It could also be gathering info on Justin Fields' trajectory and value in case they want to trade for him too.

But if they are serious, i think this is how the argument would go.

Just as some people blame Getsy for Fields, I think other people around the league may blame Fields for Getsy's failures.

I'm not saying they are right at all, but the argument would go like this:

Getsy had to limit his playbook because Fields wouldn't pull the trigger.

He called too many screens because a screen pass doesnt have a read and it forces the ball out of Justin's hands.

He had guys open across the middle and Justin just didn't throw to them.

He had a lot of plays that worked, but Justin improvised instead.

Look how good he was with Rodgers in GB.

That's what people who are considering Getsy might say.

I don't know about this Jets scout guy. He makes it seem like he watches tape, but his comments don't necessarily reflect that.

This was his mock draft from 2022:

https://firstroundmock.com/2022/04/2022-nfl-draft-ex-jets-scout-releases-new-shocking-first-round-mock-draft/

It makes sense why he didn't do one in 2023, because he literally got every pick wrong lol.

He thinks Brian Branch is inconsistent Nickelback at best: https://firstroundmock.com/2022/11/brian-branch-is-an-inconsistent-nfl-nickelback-at-best/

He hated Brian Branch: https://firstroundmock.com/2023/01/what-nobody-will-tell-you-about-nfl-draft-prospect-brian-branch/

There are so many bad articles on there, it almost looks like The Onion or Babylon Bee for the NFL Draft.

15 minutes ago, adam said:

There are so many bad articles on there, it almost looks like The Onion or Babylon Bee for the NFL Draft.

LOL perfect.

I guess he is a contrarian, and there is a need for one in every NFL draft room. Plus, no one blames you when youre wrong, because thats your role: to go against common wisdom. And when youre right, you were the only one that saw it - pretty good gig!

I am glad to have some new names to look at, and a short rationale to prove or disprove. It's great to see some contrary opinion on Williams too. Not saying it's true, but it's great to have questions to look for and answer.

I don't know about his ranking of Williams, but to take it seriously that the guy will need to take coaching in the NFL and to question how he will react to that is a big deal, and we've all said it before this article too.

I think that's Poles' biggest challenge in evaluating Williams - his mental state and openness to being tamed.

My first off the cuff reaction to the article was "I guess there are more QB candidates than the five i was focused on," and this increases the possibility of trading the #1 pick overall and still getting a good QB at #9 - since there are now more names to consider, perhaps there will be more that are top 10 pick worthy.

Maybe we trade #1 down to #3, grab MHJr and then a QB at #9 if we arent on the Williams train.

I also think that Penix has injury histories, is older and sucked against Michigan, but before the Michigan game, I thought that if his medicals came back good, he'd be my #1 choice.

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I always like to absorb new  information to plug in the vault for  further reference. I seen this draft trade with Atlanta in a mock:

#1 pick, in return, pick 8, pick 43, pick 74, 2025 # 1 pick, 2026 # 2 pick and Drake London.

I think he took Rome Odunze and Dallas Turner with pick 8-9.

Would you make this trade?

18 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

LOL perfect.

I guess he is a contrarian, and there is a need for one in every NFL draft room. Plus, no one blames you when youre wrong, because thats your role: to go against common wisdom. And when youre right, you were the only one that saw it - pretty good gig!

I am glad to have some new names to look at, and a short rationale to prove or disprove. It's great to see some contrary opinion on Williams too. Not saying it's true, but it's great to have questions to look for and answer.

I don't know about his ranking of Williams, but to take it seriously that the guy will need to take coaching in the NFL and to question how he will react to that is a big deal, and we've all said it before this article too.

I think that's Poles' biggest challenge in evaluating Williams - his mental state and openness to being tamed.

My first off the cuff reaction to the article was "I guess there are more QB candidates than the five i was focused on," and this increases the possibility of trading the #1 pick overall and still getting a good QB at #9 - since there are now more names to consider, perhaps there will be more that are top 10 pick worthy.

Maybe we trade #1 down to #3, grab MHJr and then a QB at #9 if we arent on the Williams train.

I also think that Penix has injury histories, is older and sucked against Michigan, but before the Michigan game, I thought that if his medicals came back good, he'd be my #1 choice.

He has an article about Rattler being the next Mahomes. Come on man. That would be even crazier than Mahomes being Mahomes, and no one saw that coming.

It is fine to be the contrarian or go against conventional wisdom, but doing it just to do it, and all the time seems like it's for attention (and clicks).

10 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I always like to absorb new  information to plug in the vault for  further reference. I seen this draft trade with Atlanta in a mock:

#1 pick, in return, pick 8, pick 43, pick 74, 2025 # 1 pick, 2026 # 2 pick and Drake London.

I think he took Rome Odunze and Dallas Turner with pick 8-9.

Would you make this trade?

Bears got #9, #61, and Moore compared to #8, #43, #74, and London. So an extra pick (74), a better 2nd rounder, and a less accomplished but very good WR. Seems very close all things considered.

Now if you are getting London, is Odunze a wise use of assets at that point? Either him or London are now WR3. With only so many passes to go around, WR3 does not get much volume.

10 minutes ago, adam said:

Bears got #9, #61, and Moore compared to #8, #43, #74, and London. So an extra pick (74), a better 2nd rounder, and a less accomplished but very good WR. Seems very close all things considered.

Now if you are getting London, is Odunze a wise use of assets at that point? Either him or London are now WR3. With only so many passes to go around, WR3 does not get much volume.

Not sure you should  limit your depth on the basis the 3rd WR isn't getting enough touches. If we have a better offense there will be more plays per game,, giving an up tick in throws.

17 minutes ago, adam said:

He has an article about Rattler being the next Mahomes. Come on man. That would be even crazier than Mahomes being Mahomes, and no one saw that coming.

It is fine to be the contrarian or go against conventional wisdom, but doing it just to do it, and all the time seems like it's for attention (and clicks).

I think with all the high end QBs , someone will a surprise pick and succeed.

36 minutes ago, adam said:

yeah thats what Im saying - it could be strategic to get himself back into the NFL scouting game. if youre wrong, no one expects you to be right if youre the town contrarian, your value is there just to check the general consensus, and if youre right, youre a genius and the only one with a crystal ball.

I read an article once about an amazing investment brokerage scam.

They'd identify, say 10,000 people and mail then a mailer that said they were making a BOLD prediction on a volatile stock. And giving it away as a FREE tip. Half of the 10,000 got a mailer that said it would go up and half got one that said it would go down.

After the outcome, they had a list of 5,000 people they'd sent the right prediction to. Then they did it again on another volatile stock with a FREE tip, and got a pool of 2,500 people theyd been right 2 in a row on.

Did it again, and now you've got an audience of 1,250 people to whom youve given three incredibly risky free stock picks that each paid off big. Three for three! Wanna pay for more tips?!

LOL

But I still appreciate the contrary narrative on Williams, so I can keep my eyes open for that pattern. And I never would have taken a few of those guys seriously enough to even look at, and now I will. Not because I believe him, but just because he makes an argument, and proving it or disproving it widens my knowledge.

And he's hoping an NFL scouting department would think so too!

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

yeah thats what Im saying - it could be strategic to get himself back into the NFL scouting game. if youre wrong, no one expects you to be right if youre the town contrarian, your value is there just to check the general consensus, and if youre right, youre a genius and the only one with a crystal ball.

I read an article once about an amazing investment brokerage scam.

They'd identify, say 10,000 people and mail then a mailer that said they were making a BOLD prediction on a volatile stock. And giving it away as a FREE tip. Half of the 10,000 got a mailer that said it would go up and half got one that said it would go down.

After the outcome, they had a list of 5,000 people they'd sent the right prediction to. Then they did it again on another volatile stock with a FREE tip, and got a pool of 2,500 people theyd been right 2 in a row on.

Did it again, and now you've got an audience of 1,250 people to whom youve given three incredibly risky free stock picks that each paid off big. Three for three! Wanna pay for more tips?!

LOL

But I still appreciate the contrary narrative on Williams, so I can keep my eyes open for that pattern. And I never would have taken a few of those guys seriously enough to even look at, and now I will. Not because I believe him, but just because he makes an argument, and proving it or disproving it widens my knowledge.

And he's hoping an NFL scouting department would think so too!

I thought all brokerages do that lol? I feel like that is basically acting like a booker, you want half on one team and half on the other, yet the odds make it so no matter which team wins, you always make money.

5 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Would you guys consider Matt Araiza?

sure. all those lies about him mean nothing. If Hightower thinks he can kick, and by all accounts he is special, then absolutely!

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Would you guys consider Matt Araiza?

Without a doubt. I think he was wrongly accused. The case is closed. I would love to see him in a  Bears uniform. He would be a vast improvement for our STs and help with field position for out D.

47 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Without a doubt. I think he was wrongly accused. The case is closed. I would love to see him in a  Bears uniform. He would be a vast improvement for our STs and help with field position for out D.

no doubt.

And all punters are important, but if youre going to play a possession complementary type of football where you only score 20 points but eat a lot of clock doing it and play field position over multiple possessions, for example Tony Dungy style, then the punter becomes that much more important for sure!

I mean, when your nickname is "Punt God" how bad can you be? LOL

One thing I've noticed this season is that we need a high end "move" TE.  They seem to make X Factor plays every game.  Another thing is, it doesn't matter how good your defense is, you have to be able to get the QB off his mark with some sort of pass rush.  

If we use a top pick on QB, can we fill the needs?  OC, G, 3T, RDE, TE, WR and S.  In bold, we need difference makers now.

Here's an edit, with a draft to correspond our needs.  I traded a few times to get as many early picks as possible.  We can still get a swing tackle, WR, OG and experienced center in free agency.  I don't trust either of our starting guards, so depth is needed at OG.

Plus, I got 2 extra ones for next year!

PFN_MDS_Result__1706492551578.png

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

One thing I've noticed this season is that we need a high end "move" TE.  They seem to make X Factor plays every game.  Another thing is, it doesn't matter how good your defense is, you have to be able to get the QB off his mark with some sort of pass rush.  

If we use a top pick on QB, can we fill the needs?  OC, G, 3T, RDE, TE, WR and S.  In bold, we need difference makers now.

Here's an edit, with a draft to correspond our needs.  I traded a few times to get as many early picks as possible.  We can still get a swing tackle, WR, OG and experienced center in free agency.  I don't trust either of our starting guards, so depth is needed at OG.

For sure their adding more depth on the oline besides a starting center. Taylor is a 3 T but another DT with Billings and Pickens on the team? I think Bowers will have more impact that another WR in his first year.

13 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Yeah, if you think about it, the last 4 teams, they all had those type of TEs, Kittle, LaPorta, Andrews, and Taylor Swift's boyfriend.

If Poles can get 6 picks in the top 50, you would have to get a King Poles tattoo!

• adam unfeatured this topic