The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

The Bears hired Chris Beaty as their WR coach, he was DJ Moore's college coach.

Solid hire, can't be much worse than Tolbert was. I like the Moore connection. 

5 hours ago, adam said:

Solid hire, can't be much worse than Tolbert was. I like the Moore connection. 

So is DJ the amazing WR we have come to love BECAUSE of or IN SPITE of Chris Beatty's amazing coaching skills? Let's hope it was the former and not the latter. 😉

2 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Valid question. Here’s some background info that might help.  

IMG_6464.jpeg

Awesome! 👍

I like this new staff being assembled to assist our outstanding HC! 😉

Very promising.

35 minutes ago, adam said:

Courtney didn't mention Quentin Johnston. He didn't develop as fast as one would expect for a 1st rounder. Hope that is just a player thing.

The Chargers fell off the planet this year.  I know injuries played into it, but for having Herbert, they were awful except against the beloved Bears.  Beatty is smart enough to know its time to depart. Their cap is going to do them in.  Maybe Poles can pluck a player or two.

3 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

Yea, he's made the biggest jump in rankings. About a hundred since I started my drafts this year. I have been on him since I started researching the centers as being the best. 

Remember homie didn't give up a sack or pressure all year.  That's just insane as a IOL

I wouldn't doubt Philly takes him with Kelce retiring. Kill, you like Frazier better or Van Pran, not sure if I got the name right.

14 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I wouldn't doubt Philly takes him with Kelce retiring. Kill, you like Frazier better or Van Pran, not sure if I got the name right.

Yeah, I can see him going to PHI at 22 or even ARZ at 27 (their 2nd 1st rounder).

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

The is a center out of Arkansas, Beaux Limmer.  He's a physical freak of an athlete.  He can be drafted later if we sign a vet on free agency.  Just another body to look at.

I think they bring in a vet (Aaron Brewer) played under the assiant line coach or Evan Brown who played under Shane Waldron and draft a mid round center. Not sure it matters but Poles drafted Doug Kramer or signed for next year Dan Feeney, if one of them may be the vet backup or maybe even a starter until a rookie takes over. 

1 hour ago, killakrzydav said:

SVP was my favorite most of the year.  His line mates quality might skew some mistakes we don't see. Frazier might be the strongest/stoutest. JCP is IMO the most complete

They all could end up being good or a late round pick could surprize people. Kelce was a 5th round pick and took a few years to develop. To me JPJ may be the best rookie if needed to be a starter early.

There is an article in the Tribune today that says we could trade one spot with Washington, and get two more first round picks in exchange. We give a little more too, and we get a little more too.

I think if the Bears identify another QB they prefer, or they think Caleb isn't gonna pan out, this is a great way to address all the arguments wanting more picks, without having to pass on taking a top pick rookie QB.

If on the other hand, your scouts are telling you that Williams is the real deal, and head an shoulders above the others, then it's probably not enough.

I do think it's telling that if Washington was willing to do that, they'd be saying they DO think Williams is worth that price.

Anyway, its too early for me to have an opinion on Williams, but it was interesting to see what is thought to be offered, while still being able to take a top QB too?

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/chicago-bears/bears-mock-draft-poles-passes-on-caleb-williams-trades-no-1-pick/537419/

10 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

There is an article in the Tribune today that says we could trade one spot with Washington, and get two more first round picks in exchange. We give a little more too, and we get a little more too.

I think if the Bears identify another QB they prefer, or they think Caleb isn't gonna pan out, this is a great way to address all the arguments wanting more picks, without having to pass on taking a top pick rookie QB.

If on the other hand, your scouts are telling you that Williams is the real deal, and head an shoulders above the others, then it's probably not enough.

I do think it's telling that if Washington was willing to do that, they'd be saying they DO think Williams is worth that price.

Anyway, its too early for me to have an opinion on Williams, but it was interesting to see what is thought to be offered, while still being able to take a top QB too?

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/chicago-bears/bears-mock-draft-poles-passes-on-caleb-williams-trades-no-1-pick/537419/

That would be insane. Washington is the worst team in the league, and then they trade away 2 additional 1sts to move one spot? So now they have Williams, cool, but no 1st round talent around him for 3 years? Also, if you have multiple teams offering something comparable, it shows how much they believe in Williams too, so you almost have to consider keeping the #1 if multiple teams are offering that much. If it's only Washington, then I think you take it, and press your luck with Fields or Maye. Washington probably ends up with a top 5 pick the next two years (top 3 in 2025 almost guaranteed), so you have two more years of hedging your bet on a QB. 

It will be interesting to see how Carolina does this year without a 1st rounder. They have a weak roster, their best player was a 35 year old WR, and I doubt they attract many top end FAs (who would want to go there?). So they may end up with another top 5 pick in 2025 (makes the Bears 2nd rounder be a top 37 pick). Even if Young improves, they will be out of his rookie deal by the time they are even average again.

This would seem to be the trend for any bad team that trades up and gives up multiple picks.

• adam unfeatured this topic