The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

17 minutes ago, adam said:

It is still a possibility, but highly unlikely. I would say it was 40/60 that he may come back when the season ended and has slowly shifted towards probably 20/80 or more. 

What is super wild is, what if the Bears won 2 of the games they blew leads in, say Detroit and Cleveland, finished 9-8, but missed the playoffs. At that point, they would then have a late-teens pick with the #1 pick. Would they keep Justin, even if he had the same exact stats, but the defense held up for one drive in each of those games? The outlook on his performance might be considerably different if they finished with a winning record. The fact that he went 5-8 and Bagent somehow pulled 2-2 out of his butt is pretty hard evidence towards the QB not being a big factor in the outcome of games. 

It's foolish to dismiss all of the options that Poles has. 

Most likely we draft a QB and trade Justin

Most unlikely we draft a QB and keep Justin 

Still probably trade picks , get a haul and keep Justin. 

Everyone wants to argue Justin to Williams but a bevy of draft picks is the key.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this on NFL.com. It could be someone we would draft. It is a piece on players who excelled in the combine, this one on a Center out of Wisconsin, Tanor Bortolini:

At 6-foot-4 1/4-inch, 303 pounds, Bortolini ran a 4.94-second 40 with an exceptional 1.69 10-yard split (and strong 32 1/2-inch vertical and 9-foot-4 broad jump). He also had the best time among offensive linemen in the 3-cone drill (7.16 seconds) and 20-yard shuttle (4.28 seconds). In fact, Bortolini joined Jason Kelce as the only OL at the combine since 2003 to have a sub-4.3 20-yard shuttle and a sub-7.3 3-cone drill, per NFL Research. The two-time honorable mention All-Big Ten Conference selection looked like a professional center coming out of his stance during drills, snapping the ball and smoothly stepping in either direction. A coach on the field complimented his balance and body control in a pass protection drill.

12 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Saw this on NFL.com. It could be someone we would draft. It is a piece on players who excelled in the combine, this one on a Center out of Wisconsin, Tanor Bortolini:

He is absolutely in play. Odds of getting JPJ are slim . We may have a shot at Zach Frasier in the second round but if we bring in a quality center we will get one later in the draft. Why Tanor is interesting is he literally has played every position on TBE OL. That's a huge value.

The Broncos may have just screwed the Bears.

They just informed R Wilson he will be cut. He will still receive 39 Million in 2024 for guaranteed money from his contract. Any team needing a stop-gap quarterback could get Wilson without trading draft capital. Chances are, he would sign a relatively cheap one-year prove-it contract since he will still get the money from Denver. 

I am guessing that it will take one suitor for Fields out of the equation.

14 minutes ago, Pixote said:

They just informed R Wilson he will be cut. He will still receive 39 Million in 2024 for guaranteed money from his contract. Any team needing a stop-gap quarterback could get Wilson without trading draft capital. Chances are, he would sign a relatively cheap one-year prove-it contract since he will still get the money from Denver. 

Yes it hurts the trade market.

31 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Maybe we should sign him as the vet for Caleb to learn under. Im half kidding.

14 hours ago, Pixote said:

Now Denver needs a QB though. So there are the same amount of teams needing a QB. Wherever Wilson goes won't need a QB, but now Denver does. So it cancels itself out. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

Now Denver needs a QB though. So there are the same amount of teams needing a QB. Wherever Wilson goes won't need a QB, but now Denver does. So it cancels itself out. 

If i remember correctly, didn't Justin play well against the Broncos? Maybe Payton  looks to Justin for his answers.

28/35 335 4 tds, 1 int. Rushing 4 for 25 yards. They have pick 52 in the second. 

Payton knows how to build an offense around the talent of the QB. They are in the hole because of dead money with Wilson. Fields is only making 8 mil this year, picking up his 5 th option, goes into effect after the Wilson dead money is off the books. They have 7 players over 13 mil a year. 

Anyone want Justin Simmons , Courtland Sutton, Jerry Jeudy, DT Zack Allen.

Allen had 56 Ts, 5 sacks, 1 FF, 1 Pd, 50  pressures. He's 27, 6'5", 285. His salary for 2024/ 19 mil, 2025 17 mil, 2026/3.7 mil. That's a doable contract. 

How about trade Justin for Jerry Jeudy and Zach Allen. Jeudy makes 13 mil in the last year of his contract. Did 54-758 2 TDs. Missed one game to injuries. It would save Denver 20 mil if these 2 were traded according to OTC.

How would the WR room look with DJ, Jeudy, Brian Thomas, Tyler Scott.+1

Just playing fantasy football.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

How about trade Justin for Jerry Jeudy and Zach Allen. Jeudy makes 13 mil in the last year of his contract. Did 54-758 2 TDs. Missed one game to injuries. It would save Denver 20 mil if these 2 were traded according to OTC.

Not sure if we want any of these, but it does  bring up a good point.  Our greatest value may come in the form of a trade for a young player under contract.

If you noticed I'm on here alot irritating people ( not intentionally),because I'm in Thailand and have a lot of free time on my hands. I'm hitting the NFL off-season hard because I can. I'm 13 hours different from Chicago so I'm either early or late with my posts. This is the best Bears off-season I've ever been involved with. I think no matter what choices Poles makes we're going to be a good team this year. Been a fan since 1966 and I love this kind of stuff.

FWIW I watched the first half of LSU / Alabama to see Jayden Daniels. I gotta say what I saw was shocking. In literally every play I saw, Daniels stared down a single receiver from the snap, and either threw the ball to that receiver, or ran. There is a stripe on the top of his helmet and it was astonishing how it never rotated. I've never seen anything that clear.

In some plays, there were other receivers wide open, and he didn't ever look to a second read.

He has an incredible arm, and when Nabers is open, which he often is, and is Daniels' primary read, which he often was, Daniels throws a really nice ball and puts up those big numbers. LSU has another WR who is pretty good too, and ditto that - if he's the first read, Daniels puts up some really beautiful throws.

But I didn't see him once turn his head. He didnt even look off safeties - he just locked on to his primary receiver right from the snap and then threw him the ball or bailed and ran.

That is gonna have to change big time in the NFL or we all know what happens. CBs punish you int he NFL for staring down receivers, and when Defensive Coordinators find out you're not multidimensional, they can get into your head and shut you down, just like what happened to Justin. Daniels moves down my rankings big time after seeing this.

And it wasn't as if I'd read that about him before, or was looking for it. It just stood out from the film. There it was, true on it's own merit with no bias, because i wasn't even looking for that when I started watching. It wasnt a narrative, it was just there on film.

EDIT - I finally saw a single play where he looked around. He was looking around panicked, and threw an incompletion, the receiver dropped it. But his head did move on that one play. It was not an example of smoothly going through a progression though that's for sure.

Also, because he locks on to one receiver right from the snap, defensive linemen have time to get into throwing lanes, and he gets a lot of balls tipped too.

Hard pass on Daniels.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

FWIW I watched the first half of LSU / Alabama to see Jayden Daniels. I gotta say what I saw was shocking. In literally every play I saw, Daniels stared down a single receiver from the snap, and either threw the ball to that receiver, or ran. There is a stripe on the top of his helmet and it was astonishing how it never rotated. I've never seen anything that clear.

In some plays, there were other receivers wide open, and he didn't ever look to a second read.

He has an incredible arm, and when Nabers is open, which he often is, and is Daniels' primary read, which he often was, Daniels throws a really nice ball and puts up those big numbers. LSU has another WR who is pretty good too, and ditto that - if he's the first read, Daniels puts up some really beautiful throws.

But I didn't see him once turn his head. He didnt even look off safeties - he just locked on to his primary receiver right from the snap and then threw him the ball or bailed and ran.

That is gonna have to change big time in the NFL or we all know what happens. CBs punish you int he NFL for staring down receivers, and when Defensive Coordinators find out you're not multidimensional, they can get into your head and shut you down, just like what happened to Justin. Daniels moves down my rankings big time after seeing this.

And it wasn't as if I'd read that about him before, or was looking for it. It just stood out from the film. There it was, true on it's own merit with no bias, because i wasn't even looking for that when I started watching. It wasnt a narrative, it was just there on film.

EDIT - I finally saw a single play where he looked around. He was looking around panicked, and threw an incompletion, the receiver dropped it. But his head did move on that one play. It was not an example of smoothly going through a progression though that's for sure.

Also, because he locks on to one receiver right from the snap, defensive linemen have time to get into throwing lanes, and he gets a lot of balls tipped too.

Hard pass on Daniels.

I think all of them have flaws, even Caleb. He had 60 plays this year where held on to ball 6 secs or more. I will go back and look but I'm sure Mahomes tape was flawed or he wouldn't have been the third QB taken . Coaching and built roster matter. I think probably everyone of them could sit for a year and have much better results. But as we know, patientence is no longer an NFL value.

6 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think all of them have flaws, even Caleb. He had 60 plays this year where held on to ball 6 secs or more. I will go back and look but I'm sure Mahomes tape was flawed or he wouldn't have been the third QB taken . Coaching and built roster matter. I think probably everyone of them could sit for a year and have much better results. But as we know, patientence is no longer an NFL value.

watch tape, dont quote stats that you read out of context. Williams held the ball on some plays for a reason, not because he was indecisive. When you just read stats you really dont know what they mean.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's why I've always said Drake Maye.  He played in a pro system that required him to read both safeties and go through progressions.  And now, JJ McCarthy too.

I hear ya!

Just read an article about the cap by Aaron Lemming, and the good news is we have a TON of cap space! He has a long list of high priced and mid priced free agents we can afford to sign!

He comes up with abut $39 Million for us after we tag Jaylon Johnson and the rookie pool, so he's including Johnson in the number that begins closer to $60M.

for example he signs two additional free agents at over $10M a year and a few more over $5M a year too.

Good news for careful readers! :)

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/contentgallery/aaron-lemings-chicago-bears-2024-mock-offseason-228202634/#2380055

Administrators can do anything they deem necessary to keep peace on here. I'm all in on having a passionate yet non chaotic place for discussion. Just disagreement is no reason to have conflict. I never tell people what to think, will just agree or disagree. Everyone has a right to their opinions. 

No idea who this is - but this option would be intriguing. You take the HAUL and move back to 2 and than again to say 4. Get multiple future 1sts and a few seconds and than draft MHJ and get McCarthy with next pick and sit him for a season while Wilson leads Bears to playoffs and McCarthy gets time to be ready. 

• adam unfeatured this topic