The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

I get your point. However, most top free agents signing that big contract for 4 to 5 years are already in their mid to late 20s. Therefore, when their contracts expire and need resigning, many are beyond their prime, descending in value, and can/should be released. If resigned, for less money, we can extend rookie deals that are maturing.

that is true in a sense but....

1. certain FA primo players can play into their late 30's especially offensive and possibly defensive linemen. so for instance, to drop a primo left tackles contract because you don't have the cap space is seriously dangerous in building a winning long term franchise.

2. even if you release those aging primo players, you HAVE to replace them. so if you rely on FA that's another major cap problem. if you rely on the draft, you have forced yourself to pick redundant positions to cover the loss years in advance. and if you miss on them what next? you are back to day one of drafting a player in the first or second round or using creative cap financing for a primo FA and that all comes due eventually when you borrow against the future.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Flus just said - his #1 trait in a QB he is looking for - close quarter and late in game situations.  If that isn't telling, I don't know what is.  It's pretty clear to me they are moving Fields.  

that is extremely clear, and it's what makes a winner too.

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Flus just said - his #1 trait in a QB he is looking for - 4th quarter and late in game close score situations.  If that isn't telling, I don't know what is.  It's pretty clear to me they are moving Fields.  

Or maybe he meant the combination of Waldron and Fields would be exactly how that occurs?  Because while in college, Fields was able to do just that.  Look no further than the Sugar. Bowl playoff game against Clemson in 2021 where was the Tigers were expected to dominate.  Especially after Fields was nearly taken out just before the half. 

Heard Greg Gabriel spoke to a credible source ( not his opinion) that stated the Bears are leaning towards trading the first pick and Justin Fields. With this fandom war over Justin and Caleb over the last few months and then they go after a different QB would be iconic.

Maye, Daniels, JJ McCarthy or who? The only other QB that I see as possible is Penix. Has some good traits but not sure about his injury concerns.

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Heard Greg Gabriel spoke to a credible source ( not his opinion) that stated the Bears are leaning towards trading the first pick and Justin Fields. With this fandom war over Justin and Caleb over the last few months and then they go after a different QB would be iconic.

Maye, Daniels, JJ McCarthy or who? The only other QB that I see as possible is Penix. Has some good traits but not sure about his injury concerns.

It is definitely possible, and would be pretty wild.

The way both Poles and Flus talked, it sure felt like Fields is gone for sure. Then if they don't get a good feeling on Williams or Maye, then you almost have to do both. Fields would command significantly less value next year, and it seems really hard for the Bears to come back from their current stance. If I am Fields, I am not feeling good about my standing with the team. 

I feel like Brady nailed this. It's been a real problem for the Bears from Nagy through Getsy. Fields fans will appreciate this, and so will Fields detractors. It really fits the truth of our situation in Chicago, and shines a light on what is missing. It indicts the coaches and QBs both.

9 hours ago, adam said:

It is definitely possible, and would be pretty wild.

The way both Poles and Flus talked, it sure felt like Fields is gone for sure. Then if they don't get a good feeling on Williams or Maye, then you almost have to do both. Fields would command significantly less value next year, and it seems really hard for the Bears to come back from their current stance. If I am Fields, I am not feeling good about my standing with the team. 

Explain how Flus and Poles totally supported Fields before ( that didn't mean anything) , now that they discussed the possibility of the other options ( he's gone). It's funny how people try to read into each word like it's gold star statement. Until he vents these rookie QBs , he hasn't made a decision yet. There's no logic to assuming anything right now.

37 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Explain how Flus and Poles totally supported Fields before ( that didn't mean anything) , now that they discussed the possibility of the other options ( he's gone). It's funny how people try to read into each word like it's gold star statement. Until he vents these rookie QBs , he hasn't made a decision yet. There's no logic to assuming anything right now.

there must be a way to make your point without being so argumentative in tone. I've never seen adam say a harsh word to anyone.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

there must be a way to make your point without being so argumentative in tone. I've never seen adam say a harsh word to anyone.

First of all , I'm not speaking to you or anyone on this site. I listen to the SCORE and numbous podcasts all day and am referring to the general tone that most media take on the Fields situation. For some reason you think everything I say refers to you. Anything you post on here that has over 50 words in it, i never read of yours anyway.  The sooner you realize I care less what you think the better this site will be. 

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I feel like Brady nailed this. It's been a real problem for the Bears from Nagy through Getsy. Fields fans will appreciate this, and so will Fields detractors. It really fits the truth of our situation in Chicago, and shines a light on what is missing. It indicts the coaches and QBs both.

Been preaching that it all starts at the top for a while. It's hard to get to the top without the best coaches. Hope Warren and Poles see it in Flus. I will say I think they finally have a good OC. 

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

You say this, but you are the king of saying how things will be.  Quite frankly, I wish you were right on most of the things you say will happen.

Those are opinions. Two ways to look at the future, what I want to happen and what I think the Bears will do. Those aren't always the same. I wish i had control of actual reality because I view things with a positive outcome and want the Bears to succeed no matter who the QB is, who the coach is. 

I never care about if I was right or wrong, it's about Poles getting it right . I've been a fan since Butkus put his jersey on, and that's years of losing. I want some more wins in my future.

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

No decision made yet, but when Poles says Fields needs to be better in 2-minute situations and Flus says his QB needs to win in 2-minute situations, it feels like they are laying out their plan. Can it change, absolutely, but to me, it feels like they are just waiting for a trade partner for Fields compared to the #1 pick. 

Here is Poles with Florio and Simms: 

38 minutes ago, adam said:

No decision made yet, but when Poles says Fields needs to be better in 2-minute situations and Flus says his QB needs to win in 2-minute situations, it feels like they are laying out their plan. Can it change, absolutely, but to me, it feels like they are just waiting for a trade partner for Fields compared to the #1 pick. 

Here is Poles with Florio and Simms: 

That's a good video, I didn't think he defined anything we don't already know. He doesn't think Justin is great and needs work. It comes down to evaluating the rookies and comparing them to how much better he thinks Justin can get. If it was Justin vs Williams having such a high ceiling, Justin loses that battle but draft picks are involved with keeping Justin. They are part of the equation. I think if someone offers a first round pick for Justin, it's a no brainer. Or 2 seconds. Probably gone. 

I really like Ryan Poles.  He's confident, yet humble.  It makes him an easy guy to talk to.  He says the right things about his players by showing them the respect they deserve.  I can only imagine that the other GM's and coaches find him easy to work with.  All of these things create a great reputation around the league.  I really hope Warren and the family take into consideration everything he brings to the table.  I would love to see him here for the next twenty years...

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I really like Ryan Poles.  He's confident, yet humble.  It makes him an easy guy to talk to.  He says the right things about his players by showing them the respect they deserve.  I can only imagine that the other GM's and coaches find him easy to work with.  All of these things create a great reputation around the league.  I really hope Warren and the family take into consideration everything he brings to the table.  I would love to see him here for the next twenty years...

If he makes the right decision this year, he's going to be here for a very long time. He could set the team up for several years to come. Classy, down to earth and Smart.

12 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

That's a good video, I didn't think he defined anything we don't already know. He doesn't think Justin is great and needs work. It comes down to evaluating the rookies and comparing them to how much better he thinks Justin can get. If it was Justin vs Williams having such a high ceiling, Justin loses that battle but draft picks are involved with keeping Justin. They are part of the equation. I think if someone offers a first round pick for Justin, it's a no brainer. Or 2 seconds. Probably gone. 

You nailed it, that is the evaluation. I think Fields becomes the fall back plan. They weigh the pros and cons of each scenario, then pick the best one for the org.

Also, I don't know if any of you have seen this guy on socials, but he always annouces he is a former NFL scout, blah blah blah. There is a reason he is a FORMER scout. Check out his mock draft from last year, it is ugly: 

https://firstroundmock.com/2022/04/2022-nfl-draft-ex-jets-scout-releases-new-shocking-first-round-mock-draft/

In other news, the bears spoke to the top two qb prospects last night. Caleb and Daniel’s. Not maye. And the top three de prospects. Chop measured alligator arms so he’s off poles board. Turner has 83” that’s likely his pick at nine. Hopefully he rapes Washington for everything they have so we can trade down again. Arizona would probably still be our ideal partner

Justin is getting traded y’all. Poles told him he would call him before he let news break. Odds for jfs next team swung yesterday from-200 Pitt to -300 Atl. Pitt already offered their second round pick. Poles wants 20. Atl giving up their first would be a game changer even giving back a next years second

23 minutes ago, killakrzydav said:

Justin is getting traded y’all. Poles told him he would call him before he let news break. Odds for jfs next team swung yesterday from-200 Pitt to -300 Atl. Pitt already offered their second round pick. Poles wants 20. Atl giving up their first would be a game changer even giving back a next years second

amen

• adam unfeatured this topic