The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

2 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

No idea who this is - but this option would be intriguing. You take the HAUL and move back to 2 and than again to say 4. Get multiple future 1sts and a few seconds and than draft MHJ and get McCarthy with next pick and sit him for a season while Wilson leads Bears to playoffs and McCarthy gets time to be ready. 

If you think Caleb isn't going to set the league on fire, then you absolutely do this. if you do, then I think you still have to draft Caleb.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rd ð

4 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

No idea who this is - but this option would be intriguing. You take the HAUL and move back to 2 and than again to say 4. Get multiple future 1sts and a few seconds and than draft MHJ and get McCarthy with next pick and sit him for a season while Wilson leads Bears to playoffs and McCarthy gets time to be ready. 

That's interesting, someone wants to pay Wilson   but Justin cost to much to keep for one more year . I'm all in on grabbing a QB and having him sit for a year and having ( logical choice) Justin play here one more year.  That's what u think is going to happen.

15 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Rd ð

That's interesting, someone wants to pay Wilson   but Justin cost to much to keep for one more year . I'm all in on grabbing a QB and having him sit for a year and having ( logical choice) Justin play here one more year.  That's what u think is going to happen.

Wilson is going to cost league minimum for 2 years due to offset language. So Bears would pay him 500k and Broncos would pay 37.5K.  So he is cheapest starting qb money could buy basically. 

And Justin isn’t good enough in my opinion. Wilson is way better and Williams will be way better. 

31 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Wilson is going to cost league minimum for 2 years due to offset language. So Bears would pay him 500k and Broncos would pay 37.5K.  So he is cheapest starting qb money could buy basically. 

And Justin isn’t good enough in my opinion. Wilson is way better and Williams will be way better. 

Wilson would be a great vet to start in front of Williams, especially at that price.

38 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

If they draft a QB and sit for a year, they will just keep Justin. Poles isn't going to wreak the culture he has built for a QB vet . This has nothing to do with the argument who is better. Drafting a QB and keeping Justin for another year affects nothing but you bring in a different QB to have for the year? Totally will lose the team morale.  Whether Wilson is better or not, no one on the team supports that. IMO

2 hours ago, adam said:

This is the sad part:

https://stathead.com/tiny/quNM3

Fields makes up for a lot of deficiencies with his legs, but as a passer he is closer to Zach Wilson than Mac Jones. 

the problem is that even with his amazing running ability, NFL defenses have figured out how to make him run into their defenders now that they know they dont have to play his passing game honestly. Green Bay players said as much after his last game.

In order for Fields to thrive in the NFL, he will have to show mastery of skills he hasn't shown before. Smart money is that he never does and is out of the league in a few years having never won a playoff game.

Sportwriters are exacerbating this problem by feeding the Fields lovers tidbits for clickbait that arent real.

7 hours ago, adam said:

This is the sad part:

https://stathead.com/tiny/quNM3

Fields makes up for a lot of deficiencies with his legs, but as a passer he is closer to Zach Wilson than Mac Jones. 

Totally disagree, he has made progress. In the last 7 games , he was the 14 th rated QB in the league. Not saying he's all of a sudden, very good but he's not even close to Zach Wilson.

52 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Totally disagree, he has made progress. In the last 7 games , he was the 14 th rated QB in the league. Not saying he's all of a sudden, very good but he's not even close to Zach Wilson.

I think we all agree Justin improved.  My only concern is, did he grow enough? It's still the biggest story of the year.  I'm 💯 on board with what Poles does, while praying Warren and George don't meddle.

12 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I think we all agree Justin improved.  My only concern is, did he grow enough? It's still the biggest story of the year.  I'm 💯 on board with what Poles does, while praying Warren and George don't meddle.

Poles will answer lots of questions by the decision he makes. If he drafts Williams or a different QB, I'm all in in that. He is fully venting his choices  fans and writers don't. 

3 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

We should know with in a week where Poles is headed. Their might be some people surprised.

Going Maye, Daniels, McCarthy, Nix, or a vet FA would be shocking. Sticking with Fields or drafting Caleb would not be.

23 minutes ago, adam said:

Sticking with Fields would not be. --- SHOCKING

wow, it sure would for me. how could you pass up the best qb in a great qb talented draft when you are holding all the cards? yikes!!

listened to the phil simms video on williams. haven't seen him that animated since the 85 bears defense ran him into the ground in the playoffs.

48 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

We should know with in a week where Poles is headed. Their might be some people surprised.

He cemented the idea that Shefter hasn’t been able to predict what Poles would do (or has done) with the team.  And that Poles does a great job playing NFL poker.  

He also reminded me how enviable a position the Bears are in because of the options they have ahead of them. This really enforces, for me, how well a job Poles is doing.  

19 minutes ago, Lucky Luciano said:

wow, it sure would for me. how could you pass up the best qb in a great qb talented draft when you are holding all the cards? yikes!!

listened to the phil simms video on williams. haven't seen him that animated since the 85 bears defense ran him into the ground in the playoffs.

I say that because he is still on the roster. This would be different if we were comparing two players the Bears don't have. In this case, Fields is on the team, and until he is not, there is a chance that he is the QB next year.

1 hour ago, adam said:

I say that because he is still on the roster. This would be different if we were comparing two players the Bears don't have. In this case, Fields is on the team, and until he is not, there is a chance that he is the QB next year.

I guess, but after we've basically told the world (with our actions) that we don't believe in Justin, how could anyone expect him to come back and give his all for us? And if by some chance he did come back and succeed, I dont imagine him sticking around as soon as he is able to go somewhere else?

So while the action to trade him has not yet been taken for sure, I think the door on him returning has realistically closed?

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

I guess, but after we've basically told the world (with our actions) that we don't believe in Justin, how could anyone expect him to come back and give his all for us? And if by some chance he did come back and succeed, I dont imagine him sticking around as soon as he is able to go somewhere else?

So while the action to trade him has not yet been taken for sure, I think the door on him returning has realistically closed?

Where have you read someone, Poles or Warren or even Flus who has said they “don’t believe in Justin”?  Weren’t there reports not all that long ago that said Flus was “defending Justin” during OC interviews?  Didn’t Warren state not only that he believed Justin was a great athlete he also believes in a ‘three-four year process’?  Didn’t Poles just recently state he didn’t like to “leave people in the gray” when it came to what would happen next?  That definitely doesn't indicate to me a decision was or had been made.  Shefter himself had to retract (for all intents and purposes) what he thought the Bears would be doing with regards to Fields. 

Never mind the number of players currently in the locker room who have come forward to support Justin.  And “polling” among fans still shows a distinct 50/50 divide.  The only ones who have said Justin is done in Chicago are a handful of “experts” who think they know the answer.   The lying season is most certainly alive. 

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

This is the season of misinformation. No one tells the truth right now. The reporters are the ones projecting Fields gone. Nothing has come from Poles. Warren did say he wants Justin back, but he's not making the decision. 

Adam hit it right on the mark, until he's gone he is the second most likely odds he's staying after drafting Williams. 

There's a rumor today on Adam Ranks podcast that Justin is staying in Chicago, and it supposedly comes thru a reliable source from "as close a source to the Bears as you can get" so I just wanted to share a few thoughts.

First off, as you all know, I don't believe Justin Fields will ever be a great QB in the league. But I wanted to underline a few points.

First off, about two months ago I changed my stance from "if the Bears don't get rid of Justin it will be a fatal mistake" to "if the Bears dont draft a high first round rookie QB it will be a fatal mistake" so while I think keeping Fields is an error and will cause morale issues if they bring in Caleb (or another high rookie) I don't think that would be fatal. I do think putting the future of the franchise into Justin's hands would be a fatal mistake. But as long as they draft Caleb it wont kill us. We desperately need the new QB, but keeping Fields around another year while i think it's a bad idea, isnt a knife to the heart as long as we also draft Caleb - Fields will be riding the bench before week 7 anyway, maybe have some wildcard sets - minor stuff.

I also think this rumor could have been released by Poles to create leverage in trades. Hes not getting the offers he wants, so he wants to create the appearance that we want to keep him.

So while I dont think keeping Fields is a good idea, what actually matters to me is that we get Caleb, and as long as that happens if Fields stays it won't kill us.

29 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Where have you read someone, Poles or Warren or even Flus who has said they “don’t believe in Justin”? 

I said "with our actions" they havent said it with words, but you dont treat your franchise QB the way we have treated Justin. Compare to Arizona tweeting out that Murray is QB1.

9 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I said "with our actions" they havent said it with words, but you dont treat your franchise QB the way we have treated Justin. Compare to Arizona tweeting out that Murray is QB1.

I think because you don't want Justin here, you look at things from that point of view. There's been no info put out there leaning one way or another coming from Poles. Like Swifty said, no one has guessed right what Poles will do.

The most likely thing to happen is, we draft Caleb, I even agree with that although it may not be my first choice. After that it's up in the air. Their is no other rookies that appear to be the real deal, different opinions out there on that.

21 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

There's a rumor today on Adam Ranks podcast that Justin is staying in Chicago, and it supposedly comes thru a reliable source from "as close a source to the Bears as you can get" so I just wanted to share a few thoughts.

First off, as you all know, I don't believe Justin Fields will ever be a great QB in the league. But I wanted to underline a few points.

First off, about two months ago I changed my stance from "if the Bears don't get rid of Justin it will be a fatal mistake" to "if the Bears dont draft a high first round rookie QB it will be a fatal mistake" so while I think keeping Fields is an error and will cause morale issues if they bring in Caleb (or another high rookie) I don't think that would be fatal. I do think putting the future of the franchise into Justin's hands would be a fatal mistake. But as long as they draft Caleb it wont kill us. We desperately need the new QB, but keeping Fields around another year while i think it's a bad idea, isnt a knife to the heart as long as we also draft Caleb - Fields will be riding the bench before week 7 anyway, maybe have some wildcard sets - minor stuff.

I also think this rumor could have been released by Poles to create leverage in trades. Hes not getting the offers he wants, so he wants to create the appearance that we want to keep him.

So while I dont think keeping Fields is a good idea, what actually matters to me is that we get Caleb, and as long as that happens if Fields stays it won't kill us.

Like I said, Fields is on the roster. So it is easy to say they are keeping him, because they have to do nothing to make that occur. 

57 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

... Apples to Oranges.

Kyler signed a 5 year 230.5 Million Dollar contract. He is due 35.3 Million this year. You had better believe that the Cardinals can't afford to eat the remainder of this deal. He is their QB1, period.

11 minutes ago, Pixote said:

... Apples to Oranges.

Kyler signed a 5 year 230.5 Million Dollar contract. He is due 35.3 Million this year. You had better believe that the Cardinals can't afford to eat the remainder of this deal. He is their QB1, period.

right, so Chicago is iffy at best on keeping Justin at QB1. Thats all Im saying. Chicago hasnt been telling everyone that they love Justin and want to trade the #1 pick down. Theyve been acting like theyre looking to move Justin. I dont think thats a really controversial thing to say?

• adam unfeatured this topic