So knowing Flus is the guy:

DABEARSDABOMB

I'm going to go:

OC: Frank Reich - flat out, he's respectable and good at his job. Former QB too, so he knows what it takes and he should still have a ton of connections to pull in a good QB coach.  He also is probably not getting a 3rd HC gig, so you probably have him until he retires.  And I'd also think given his age, your ability to attract a good QB coach who can eventually become the OC is solid too. 

DC: Leslie Frazier - Making up a name, but I feel like Flus will call the plays anyway, but Frazier is super experienced and has a track record as a good leader. His defenses have been all over the map, but Flus is going to call the plays, but Frazier commands respect and is a solid fit. Brings some nuances having been a 4-3 and 3-4 guy as well, so some of those unique wrinkles will be interesting.  

1 minute ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I'm going to go:

OC: Frank Reich - flat out, he's respectable and good at his job. Former QB too, so he knows what it takes and he should still have a ton of connections to pull in a good QB coach.  He also is probably not getting a 3rd HC gig, so you probably have him until he retires.  And I'd also think given his age, your ability to attract a good QB coach who can eventually become the OC is solid too. 

DC: Leslie Frazier - Making up a name, but I feel like Flus will call the plays anyway, but Frazier is super experienced and has a track record as a good leader. His defenses have been all over the map, but Flus is going to call the plays, but Frazier commands respect and is a solid fit. Brings some nuances having been a 4-3 and 3-4 guy as well, so some of those unique wrinkles will be interesting.  

Les Frazier is my DC of choice also knowing that he knows this defense having deployed it in Minnesota as their HC. As for OC it has to be someone who is not afraid to come in with a coach who may be on the hot seat next season. I could see both Reich and Bienemy not being afraid to come in here under those circumstances with both being owed money from their former teams.

I understand the optimism. With all new coordinators, we might be thinking "Eberflus doesnt have to do anything" - that's a hell of a thing to say as a reason for optimism about your head coach - that others will make it good FOR him.

1 minute ago, lemonej said:

Les Frazier is my DC of choice also knowing that he knows this defense having deployed it in Minnesota as their HC. As for OC it has to be someone who is not afraid to come in with a coach who may be on the hot seat next season. I could see both Reich and Bienemy not being afraid to come in here under those circumstances with both being owed money from their former teams.

Bienemy is hard for me, because unlike Frazier and Reich, Bienemy has an end game to become a HC. So I think there is risk bringing in a guy who really is a hired gun looking to be a head coach.  Whether that brings "in-fighting" etc, I just don't like what it means. That isn't to say there is a problem with someone trying to be a HC, there isn't, but I think if you hired a younger OC who was really looking to create a name - they wouldn't have that same ability to undermine the HC as say a Bienemy.

Note: I don't think Frazier or Reich would. In both cases - they seem to be at the point that they aren't getting considered for another HC opportunity.  In Reich's case, Flus and him also have/had a pretty strong working relationship where you just wouldn't expect to get undermined like that.  

1 minute ago, BearFan PHX said:

I understand the optimism. With all new coordinators, we might be thinking "Eberflus doesnt have to do anything" - that's a hell of a thing to say as a reason for optimism about your head coach - that others will make it good FOR him.

I think the HC has a job - managing the culture, setting the principles, setting the tone, and driving development and making sure right people are pushing for those things.  They also oversee game plans but with help.  I'm not going to sell Flus short for a defense that performed at a high level for the final 8 weeks of the season.  And I'm not going to discount the significant development out of young players on the defensive side of the ball. 

I wouldn't do what the Bears are doing either - but I will admit those things were real and happened.  

OC, Arthur Smith: 

Smith as the OC did really well in Tennessee.  Beat the Ravens in the playoffs with Ryan Tannehill at QB.  Atlanta never got anywhere with him, but the QB situation was dismal.

DC, Ron Rivera:

Rivera's last DC lead him to be HC at Carolina and Washington.  Both teams had good defenses, with offenses that couldn't get them over the hump.  His defense got us to our last Superbowl.  I think we win that game if Tommie Harris didn't tear his hamstring off the bone.  Following year, Lovie let him leave and said, "trust me" and our D was never the same.  Rivera is a little more aggressive than Flus

So far everyone involved in the passing game has been fired.  Those involved in the running game have stayed.   Oops just saw that we fired our RB coach.   

I was just listening to some names being rattled off for OC and one that was interesting was Klint Kubiak.   He's had success at multiple stops, has a lot of NFL experience, and now with the 49ers knows their system.  If there is going to be any attempt at improving Fields I think we'd keep a similar system to what Getsy has run the last 2 seasons.   That plus Flus said at the time he hired Getsy that this system gave him the most challenges when he was game planning.    

https://www.49ers.com/team/coaches-roster/klint-kubiak

One thing that hit me, I know there are concerns about an OC coming in under a lame duck HC, but teams are always worried about losing their coordinators to HC jobs every year, sometimes after their first year as coordinators, so if the guy coming in thinks he is the bomb, he should only expect to be a coordinator for year before he heads off to be a HC somewhere right?

13 minutes ago, adam said:

One thing that hit me, I know there are concerns about an OC coming in under a lame duck HC, but teams are always worried about losing their coordinators to HC jobs every year, sometimes after their first year as coordinators, so if the guy coming in thinks he is the bomb, he should only expect to be a coordinator for year before he heads off to be a HC somewhere right?

I’m so old I can remember when people were concerned Getsy was going to be hired away to be a HC.  

37 minutes ago, adam said:

yes, if you're the guy who turned the Bears offense around, then you will get HC offers.

The lame duck part comes in when you consider that you probably only have one offseason to do it and have to hit the ground running (and winning) - and you have to do that with either Justin Fields, who would have to entirely change his stripes, or a rookie who will probably have growing pains. If they dont, then you failed and everyone is probably gone next year.

Of course, in any subsequent interviews you can always say "well it WAS the Bears..."

And THAT is the decades old problem.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

OC, Arthur Smith: 

Smith as the OC did really well in Tennessee.  Beat the Ravens in the playoffs with Ryan Tannehill at QB.  Atlanta never got anywhere with him, but the QB situation was dismal.

DC, Ron Rivera:

Rivera's last DC lead him to be HC at Carolina and Washington.  Both teams had good defenses, with offenses that couldn't get them over the hump.  His defense got us to our last Superbowl.  I think we win that game if Tommie Harris didn't tear his hamstring off the bone.  Following year, Lovie let him leave and said, "trust me" and our D was never the same.  Rivera is a little more aggressive than Flus

Rivera is a name that popped in my mind as well for DC.  Letting him go after the Super Bowl season was a mistake but I think it was an ego thing with Lovie.  Ron knows this D and he was aggressive as well as creative in how he called it and tailored it to the talent we had.  

OC I like the idea of Reich, his experience would do well.   I don't want another first time OC.  I want someone who's done it before and understands how to setup plays and won't call plays like they think they are the smartest man in the room and think they can outsmart people rather than do what's smart.  Someone who knows what it means to adjust as the game dictates rather than just be stubborn and keep calling what's not working.

Been listening to radio and podcasts all day. Sports journalism are nuts. So many of them think because Poles didn't do what they wanted him to do , that it's just same old Bears. Poles is running things and Warren is his sounding board. McCaskeys turned the team over to them. Poles is doing what he planned to do. It was never a two yr plan. The offense has had problems so they'll bring new minds in to right the ship. Flus has an idea on what he wants out of the offense and the new coaches will have similar thoughts. Whether Fields or a rookie , they know what they want to do. You upgrade the roster no matter who the QB is and it will add to his success. 

We are a pass rusher and more depth away from a top 5 D. Poles will address the offense with more draft picks and free agents. It's either Williams or Maye, or he brings back Fields.  Soon to be addressed. 

Anyway they go , it's an exciting time for the organization. They hired Poles to be the GM and I trust him to do the right thing whether I like it or not. I'm all in on his choices. 

It seemed pretty clear with Flus comments that they were pretty aligned and once the trend was upward with the Bears in 2H that Flus was sticking around and they would continue with the plan.  You could tell they are connected  and have a strong relationship (Poles / Flus).  

A few things that came out to me:

Braxton Jones is your starting LT - Poles is clearly proud of that find, saw growth in him, and while he referenced maybe you add some depth - he isn't taking an LT in top 10 

Justin Fields - Poles clearly is a huge fan of Justin Fields. This could have been a strategic response - but it seemed pretty clear he genuinely likes Fields a ton.  

33 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

It seemed pretty clear with Flus comments that they were pretty aligned and once the trend was upward with the Bears in 2H that Flus was sticking around and they would continue with the plan.  You could tell they are connected  and have a strong relationship (Poles / Flus).  

A few things that came out to me:

Braxton Jones is your starting LT - Poles is clearly proud of that find, saw growth in him, and while he referenced maybe you add some depth - he isn't taking an LT in top 10 

Justin Fields - Poles clearly is a huge fan of Justin Fields. This could have been a strategic response - but it seemed pretty clear he genuinely likes Fields a ton.  

Poles said he would have to be blown away from a rookie  QB to draft him. Not sure who that is or if it's back to Fields, but I trust him to make the right decision.

So now that it's a done deal...

If you bring in good experienced coordinators who will balance (what I think are) Eberflus' poor choices, there is no reason the coaching couldnt be fine. In spite of Eberflus, not because of, but still. Guys like Ron Rivera or Leslie Frasier will not be milquetoasts and if they think Eberflus is asking them to be too safe, they will have a ton of input too. So that mitigates any real negative influence Eberflus could have. Ditto on a guy like Frank Reich on the offensive side of the ball. In my view it's a missed opportunity to add a difference maker at head coach, but assuming Flus isnt the DC too next year, this could very well work out fine with the coaches.

I do fear they are gonna bring Fields back. i can see the positives in their eyes - you dont have to deal with Williams, or they dont believe in Williams, you get a ton for that first pick, get more players etc. It's all "OK" with me as long as they get a projected high first rounder next year so they can get another QB high if they need to, even if it means packaging both first rounders next year to move up - same plan as last year. It also means if it doesnt work, your coaches and new QB will both be in year 1 next year. Or if they keep the coaches, it wont be the coaching staff last year during the QBs first year like it might be this year.

But all in all i think keeping Fields is just going to put the development of a rookie QB one year behind the rest of this window.

Maybe they will trade Fields and call the new OC the first year, ignoring Flus' tenure. I guess that makes sense, and aligns the timeline for the OC and new QB - and if you were worried you were gonna lose that OC, you might even fire Flus and promote the OC to HC next year or the year after. I mean it's almost like they are firing the coaches but letting Flus stay. Maybe that's to keep all the defensive assistants who have definitely been doing an excellent job.

Maybe we can work around Eberflus' shortcomings, but I don't think Fields is ever gonna be the guy. i think this is gonna be a lost year if they keep him.

And if they do keep Fields, and coach well with (despite?) Eberflus, and if I'm right about all of this with Fields, then my point about Poles hugging players and getting too close may well prove to be prescient.

If on the other hand, they trade Fields, and the coordinators have wills of their own, then maybe this will work. It certainly preserves the defensive assistants. Not sure that's the best way to value a head coach, and keep in mind, whoever the coordinators coming in will be could still have been hired under a different new head coach too - so Im not really sure of the benefit other than not eating Eberflus' salary.

But once we know what they do with Fields it will be more clear to me whether this was a tricky way around the prorlem that could work, or a full blown loyalty fest that will all burn together, including Poles at that point. And if that's the outcome, then one wonders if Warren was stupid and on the train, or setting the stage for his guys coming next without seeming like an overreaching tyrant, and without taking too much blame early if that plan doesn't work. In other words, looking like he had to replace Poles, and hiding the rope he gave Poles to hang himself with.

13 minutes ago, madlithuanian said:

I'm honestly not sure it matters...as long as fLose is at the helm, it won't end well for anyone involved.

I was as big a proponent of firing Eberflus as anyone here, but the errors he made should be mitigated by good coordinators. It's not a reason to keep someone as head coach in my opinion, but I dont think it dooms us either. If the coordinators are experienced and strong in the room, then the worst about Eberflus is the missed opportunity to have someone better in there, but I dont think Eberflus will sink the ship. When he wants to be overcautious, Ron Rivera or Leslie Frasier or someone like that should be able to push back.

As long as they get the coordinators right, I am much more worried about the Fields decision hurting us in the long run.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

OC, Arthur Smith: 

DC, Ron Rivera:

Bingo. Rivera would be my choice as DC.

As for OC, I just want someone opposite of journeyman Getsy, whose resume is not that impressive.
WR Coach, Offense QC, WR Coach, OC, QB Coach (w/ Rodgers as QB), and then hired by Bears.  

I want someone who has a proven track record of offensive success, preferably at multiple locations with multiple sets of players. My dark horse selection is Ryan Grubb from Washington. Dude is a stud. Everywhere he goes there is offensive success. A huge reason Washington went from "who?" to the National Championship game.

Washington
2022-23: Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
Fresno State
2020-21: Offensive Coordinator/Assoc. Head Coach/Quarterbacks
2019: Offensive Coordinator/Assoc. Head Coach/Offensive Line
2017-18: Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator
Eastern Michigan
2014-16: Offensive Line
Sioux Falls
2010-13: Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2007-09: Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator
South Dakota State