Free Agency 2024

adam

Ok, so before the draft, the Bears are going to have to do some work. There are some blue chippers that will be available this year.

Here are a few at key positions for the Bears to consider:

DT - Chris Jones, Justin Madubuike, Christian Wilkins, Leonard Williams, DJ Reader
Edge - Josh Allen, Brian Burns, Danielle Hunter, Bryce Huff, Josh Uche
C - Connor Williams, Andre James, Lloyd Cushenberry
S - Antoine Winfield Jr., Kyle Dugger, Kamren Curl, Xavier McKinney
WR2 - Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, Mike Evans, Marquise Brown, Calvin Ridley, Gabe Davis, Tyler Boyd, Curtis Samuel
TE2 - Dalton Schultz, Noah Fant, Gerald Everett
RG - Kevin Dotson, Robert Hunt, Kevin Zeitler
LT - Tyron Smith, Trent Brown, Mike Onwenu
RB - Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard, Austin Ekeler

If you could get 2-3 of these guys, who would you prioritize as your #1, #2, and #3 signings?

I would probably go DT with Jones/Madubuike/Wilkins as my #1, Connor Williams as my #2, and Higgins as my #3. 

Here is PFF rankings for reference:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, adam said:

I would probably go DT with Jones/Madubuike/Wilkins as my #1, Connor Williams as my #2, and Higgins as my #3. 

Give me Andre James to start.  Williams is the bigger name but has an ACL to recover from.  James is 26 and doesn't miss time.  Second is Danielle Hunter.  Third, Calvin Ridley. Knowing WR is deep in this class, having Ridley as a great route runner will be vital.  I would love to draft two receivers, one to blow the top off and a big physical possession guy.

That's a good list but by recent history ,  Poles is only signing one expensive FA and I think it's going to JJ. 

I think he can get a OC and FS at reasonable gets but most of that list will cost to much.

Realistically a Lloyd Cushenberry , Cutris Samuel and Xavier McKinney.

Listening to Greg Gabriel podcast and he mentioned Aaron Brewer/Titans and Evan Brown from Seattle as center prospects.  Upgrades over Patrick that won't break the bank. Then draft a OC, most rookies need time to develop. Jason Kelce was a 5 th round pick that blossomed later. Plus  Brown worked with Waldron.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Listening to Greg Gabriel podcast and he mentioned Aaron Brewer/Titans and Evan Brown from Seattle as center prospects.  Upgrades over Patrick that won't break the bank. Then draft a OC, most rookies need time to develop. Jason Kelce was a 5 th round pick that blossomed later. Plus  Brown worked with Waldron.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Getting Evan Brown would help the transition similiar to signing Patrick.  If they can draft the Oregon kid, that position would become a strength.

6 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

This - they need to draft one and sign a stop gap. Can’t plug a rookie in out of the gate unless they earn it cause center does have some bigger nuances around getting into protections, etc. 

5 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Getting Evan Brown would help the transition similiar to signing Patrick.  If they can draft the Oregon kid, that position would become a strength.

Powers-Johnson is the top rated center and will go mid to late second round. He would be a great get. Not sure we use a second round pick on him, probably a edge if not taken in the first round . I think 3 rd or 4 th round is more likely when we take a center.

2 hours ago, adam said:

Based on what draft analysts are saying, the Oregon Center will probably go in the mid to late 2nd round. The Bears really need a 2nd round pick if they want a chance to get him.

I think they get a vet to play OC and draft one . Depending on their first 2 picks, not sure they take a center with a high pick. Can they get a Zach Fraiser in round 3 and grab a edge or WR in round 2? As of now, we don't have a 2nd so it's a mute point at this time. Free agency will go along way to who we draft after the first round. I think they get a FS and center in F agency and leave the high picks open for Edge, 3 T, WR, depends on a trade down or not.

4 minutes ago, jason said:

I’m this order:
C - Connor Williams
WR2 - Calvin Ridley
LT - Tyron Smith

I'm all in on C Williams (heard good things) and C Ridley (are they seriously going to let this guy go to FA?) Don't know T Smith.

Calvin Ridley, if he hits the market place, will be an expensive get. Might be the top FA WR. Had 1K yds & 8 TDs in 2013. The guy is damn good. I can't believe Jacksonville would let him leave without tagging him.

I heard that Williams injury will bleed into next season and could be midseason before he could start playing again, doubt Poles ain't paying for a broken player. We seen what happened to Nate Davis when his season was disrupted with his season and he wasn't even injured.

4 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I heard that Williams injury will bleed into next season and could be midseason before he could start playing again, doubt Poles ain't paying for a broken player. We seen what happened to Nate Davis when his season was disrupted with his season and he wasn't even injured.

Ouch, forgot about the injury. You are right. Too much risk. We need a veteran to start day 1 while a rookie develops.

42 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

And the near miss on Larry Ogunjobi probably still rings in his ears.

15 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

And the near miss on Larry Ogunjobi probably still rings in his ears.

Of the players listed here, who are you resigning, who exceeded expectations:

Obviously JJ did, Mooney was terrible, Ngakoue underperformed, Tonyan was a joke, Patrick was bad, Jones was ok, Foreman had flashes but his inactives were odd. Scales if fine, really didn't get to see Feeney, so that ends up as sort of a wasted draft pick trade. Lewis was very solid for TE3, Green was terrible, Taylor was serviceable at best. Did Cole play? ESB underperformed this year and seemed hurt or inactive more than anything. Blackwell was decent from what I remember. Reed did nothing.

So there are a lot of roster spots to fill, and most could use upgrades.

I think they attempt to upgrade every where but if they fail, they bring some back. JJ, obviously, Joel Blackwell, good STs player, Mooney on a vet minimum deal( you can always cut him), Mercedes Lewis, and Justin Jones. If you can upgrade Jones, go for it, but he played well . 49 Ts, 10 TFL, 17 QB hits, 4.5 sacks

11 minutes ago, adam said:

Of the players listed here, who are you resigning, who exceeded expectations:

Obviously JJ did, Mooney was terrible, Ngakoue underperformed, Tonyan was a joke, Patrick was bad, Jones was ok, Foreman had flashes but his inactives were odd. Scales if fine, really didn't get to see Feeney, so that ends up as sort of a wasted draft pick trade. Lewis was very solid for TE3, Green was terrible, Taylor was serviceable at best. Did Cole play? ESB underperformed this year and seemed hurt or inactive more than anything. Blackwell was decent from what I remember. Reed did nothing.

So there are a lot of roster spots to fill, and most could use upgrades.

I’ve been a fan of Foreman since about mid-season.  I agree there were some odd off times.  I want to think ESB is a victim of Getsy. He was brought to Chicago probably because of Getsy but not used as much as he could or should have been.  I say this only because early in the season Fields made a comment about ESB being a healthy scratch for one game and led many to believe he would’ve preferred he play over Claypool who was still with the team at the time.  I’d keep M. lewis around just because of the positive veteran presence we heard about him.  If you can get over the GB stink still on him he really did well in his role as a blocking (and occasional catching) TE.  I wonder if Waldron sees Mooney as a Lockett-type receiver?  That could determine whether he stays?  

Obviously at the end of the day all the offensive players will be determined how they fit into Waldron’s scheme (to include Justin/overall pick #1).  Perhaps we’ll see some current Seattle players join us?  

JJ is an excellent CB.

I LOVE D'onta Foreman, he should be our starter. I've been saying it since training camp last year. Roschon Johnson is still growing, so he could well push for starting time too, so I guess I'm just saying I like them both more than Herbert, and I'd re-sign Foreman.

Patrick Scales has done a decent job, but I admit I'm not up on the current gold standard for long snappers lol

If Mercedes Lewis has another year in him, I like him for his limited role too.

The rest are yawns. You can't fill all those holes so some will come back, but I dont really care which.

Je pense que nous sommes d'accord sur beaucoup de choses en fait. 
J'étais en colère contre un autre membre, mais pas contre toi. 
Seulement à propos du seul argument de preuve anecdotique. 
J'utilise également Google Translate, car j'étais nul en français au lycée.