14th pick

Ed Hochuli 3:16

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i was putting together a highlight reel i wouldn't have the first clip be of me throwing a ball behind the receiver. that should've been a highlight for the reicever, not the qb.

i'm no expert at evaluating talent, but i can tell you for sure that guy does not have an nfl arm. sometimes there's a reason you play for the u of delaware.

lol, you couldn't be farther from the truth, Flacco has an absolute gun.

He looked like he had a pretty strong arm to me, based with the amount of stuff he was able to put on the ball when he was off his back foot due to pressure or on a scramble. I got to admit that clip was pretty impressive, mainly because he showed good vision and the ability to make things happen under pressure.

The one main concern I'd have would be his smarts (I think it is important for any QB drafted to be incredibly smart, football wise, and if I were a GM I'd have a nice set of tests set up to test the Qb's smarts) and what seems to be a relatively longer delivery (he definitely doesn't have a super quick release, than again, I've watched so much of Rex and his ridiculously quick release). Still, I'd have zero problem drafting this guy in the 2nd or 3rd (I think where we pick in the 2nd may be a bit too high, but that isn't to say the team can't move down or make something happen to get him).

while some might think it would be too high, if a team wants a player, they won't hesistate by reaching 10-20 picks on him.

lol, you couldn't be farther from the truth, Flacco has an absolute gun.

GMAB, Andrew Walter, Aaron Brooks, and Kyle Boller have absolute guns too. As does our very own Sexy Rexy. That's not a selling point. Look's like he has a low release point too and short arms his passes. I'll pass, unless it's mid-late round, on the I-AA talent.

GMAB, Andrew Walter, Aaron Brooks, and Kyle Boller have absolute guns too. As does our very own Sexy Rexy. That's not a selling point. Look's like he has a low release point too and short arms his passes. I'll pass, unless it's mid-late round, on the I-AA talent.

I agree. I can see getting something like a lineman form AA school, but to take a QB in the second round is too big a gamble with all the other holes that need to be filled.

Well...the question was whether or not Flacco has an "nfl arm". He does, as do all of those guys. It doesn't mean they can play in the NFL, just means they can make the throws.

As much as I would love to get a stud safety, Kenny Phillips is a FS, and we're in dire need of a SS. DM isn't going anywhere.

It all starts with the O-line. Did I really just read a post where someone doesn't want to sign Faneca b/c he's 32, but instead wants to resign Ruben Brown, who is 37? I understand the economics of your rationale, but we screwed up by not pursuing Steinbach last year, and poor OG play is what really hurt our running game this year. Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet. Our receiving corp is going to be awful next season, irregardless of who we franchise or draft, so we need to have the running game.

Oh, hey, that's awesome. :rolleyes: :blink: :unsure: :ph34r: :( :pray :blink: What a great conversation we're having!

Do you have a point?

Yeah my point is that this statement:

Well...the question was whether or not Flacco has an "nfl arm". He does, as do all of those guys. It doesn't mean they can play in the NFL, just means they can make the throws.

Makes zero sense. If they can make the throws it means they can play in the NFL.

Not exactly. You have to be able to read defenses, be mobile in the pocket, etc. There's a lot more than just having a good arm to make all the throws.

Exactly. If Ryan Leaf couldn't make the throws, he never would have been drafted where he was. It's a lot more difficult to tell if someone can adjust to a more complex system, make pro reads (& much faster reads than in college), or if someone's just a general, total headcase. The arm is just the first thing. I'm not at all convinced about Flacco, but I haven't heard anyone question his arm.

As much as I would love to get a stud safety, Kenny Phillips is a FS, and we're in dire need of a SS. DM isn't going anywhere.

It all starts with the O-line. Did I really just read a post where someone doesn't want to sign Faneca b/c he's 32, but instead wants to resign Ruben Brown, who is 37? I understand the economics of your rationale, but we screwed up by not pursuing Steinbach last year, and poor OG play is what really hurt our running game this year. Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet. Our receiving corp is going to be awful next season, irregardless of who we franchise or draft, so we need to have the running game.

Phillips could play either safety position. He's got the size and power to play ss and the speed and coverage ability to play fs. I don't think that would be a concern. You're right, Manning will be here no matter what -- I'm just saying.

Someone mentioned Cleveland's resurgence in another thread. For the most part, it was due to their offensive line. They drafted Joe Thomas and resigned Steinbach to anchor their left side. For the Bears, a high quality OL FA and top draft pick will do the same thing for them.

Brown = cheap 1 year deal... Faneca = expensive multiyear deal for someone who will be on a decline who won't be worth all that money.

Here's a question for those who are arguing over taking a QB or Lineman: When was the last time the Bears developed a star at either position? They are great on the defensive side, but no matter what the talent level, they have no idea on developing QBs. Our best linemen have been either FAs or freaks like Big Cat Williams, who converted from DL (That was like 15 years ago). Kruetz is the only guy drafted who worked out, and he'd have been a beast anyway (Bears just didn't screw him up). Our biggest need is coaching staff who can TEACH a QB or lineman. We bring in system guys every year, but don't build the players. So, anyone we take will need a much better position coach than we obviously can offer now. I'd be happy with a Lineman in the first (pretty even group available at our pick). QB in the 2nd or 3rd (assuming we can develop them, we aren't getting a can't miss in the 1st either). QBs I like are Henne (makes good decisions, above average arm), Ainge (Big, strong arm, played well in big games, had no running attack to take pressure off him), Flacco (arm strength looked good to me, don't know what type of offense he ran), Dixon (Accurate, above average arm, played big in big games). Any of these guys that ran a spread offense is probably not going to be drafted by the Bears. Most spreads are run from shotgun, and when was the last time the Bears ran a lot of shotgun? Spread QBs take time to develop and learn to operate from under center (again, we don't have a good track record of that). So, I see Henne and Ainge as the front runners, based off the offenses they ran in college. A suprise candidate might be JD Booty (not that I want him). He ran a pro offense in college. All of his bad performances have excuses. He was the big QB prospect before going to USC. He has the physical tools. If he performs well in workouts prior to the draft, I see him shooting up boards, if for no other reason than he was QB at USC.