14th pick

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Great points. I'm not sold on a guy who looked good for only one season. Someone will pay him though...

If we had an awesome OLine with weapons as good as Edwards and Winslow Jr., I'd think a little bit about Anderson but then realize any half-decent QB would put up good stats with the Browns offense. Plus, Anderson has probably worse decision making skills then Grossman... just say no.

However, I see some team giving up a similar package to the one the Falcons got for Schaub.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great points. I'm not sold on a guy who looked good for only one season. Someone will pay him though...

I dunno about that. I mean, things really haven't worked out poorly for the last team that had this same circumstance except with a better 1st like QB, the Chargers, have they?

They will certainly field offers, but they may well decide that they're going to need to be blown away to deal Anderson. Especially if you consider that the coaching staff and front office seemed on the verge of losing their jobs coming into this season. Dealing Anderson for a first rounder might be the right decision if someone offers it, but then those guys have to go from being 8-8 to committing to developing another rookie QB in Quinn, and a 4-12 campaign next year might cost those folks their jobs, rightly or wrongly.

If they believe that, then they should take the best offer they get for Anderson this offseason and run with it.

Exactly lets say they tag him. I see maybe 5 teams looking for a QB (Chicago, Atlanta, Minnesota, Baltimore and maybe Kansas City) Who all have fairly high picks. Meaning they have so many more holes, they cant give up a couple draft picks for a QB who could easily be the product of having the best OL in the league or maybe even a one year wonder.

Exactly lets say they tag him. I see maybe 5 teams looking for a QB (Chicago, Atlanta, Minnesota, Baltimore and maybe Kansas City) Who all have fairly high picks. Meaning they have so many more holes, they cant give up a couple draft picks for a QB who could easily be the product of having the best OL in the league or maybe even a one year wonder.

Miami, San Francisco could also be teams looking for a qb. Im getting the impression a lot of you dont think they are going to give Anderson the 2.35 million dollar tender. Pretty much, unless something blows the Browns away it more than likely is gonna take a first and a third to get him.

Miami, San Francisco could also be teams looking for a qb. Im getting the impression a lot of you dont think they are going to give Anderson the 2.35 million dollar tender. Pretty much, unless something blows the Browns away it more than likely is gonna take a first and a third to get him.

Can't they give him the tender but then still decide to accept a lower price if no one offers the first and the third?

If we had an awesome OLine with weapons as good as Edwards and Winslow Jr., I'd think a little bit about Anderson but then realize any half-decent QB would put up good stats with the Browns offense. Plus, Anderson has probably worse decision making skills then Grossman... just say no.

However, I see some team giving up a similar package to the one the Falcons got for Schaub.

In the second half of the season Anderson was very mediocre. Anderson also had a better WR core than the Bears (By a long shot), and a better running game (including a superior oline). So bottom line, I truly don't see Anderson as an upgrade over Rex/Orton. I realize he's proven more than Kyle, but I think he's actually a pretty similar QB to Rex (except Rex has better tools but a little less size).

Anderson's decision making IS suspect (and as far as I'm concerned Rex/Kyle are not going to cost a draft pick and there really isn't a major difference in terms of whose proven and who isn't). If Anderson was a UFA I may think a little bit different but he isn't.

maybe in the second round for Baker, but definitely not the first.

Baker looked pretty good to me, is a junior and seems to really have a nice frame. My only major question is whether he has the athletism to stick at LT in the NFL. I'm fairly confident he has all the ability to be a probowl RT, but if the Bears think he has the ability to be a probowl LT I'd be all about Baker.

Can't they give him the tender but then still decide to accept a lower price if no one offers the first and the third?

Im not sure about that but I dont think so. I suppose they could try to trade him before giving him the tender but I think the deal would have to be way more than we are willing to pay.

Im not sure about that but I dont think so. I suppose they could try to trade him before giving him the tender but I think the deal would have to be way more than we are willing to pay.

A team can accept a lower package for a player who is an RFA. The Browns could tender him and trade him for a bag of peanuts if they chose to. The kicker is the new team being able to negotiate a new contract with the player, because no team is going to give up draft picks/players for a player with a 1 year deal.

Agreed on prospects. Disagree on Orton. IMO - he's played better than the other two, without the lead time. He's probably playing a little tight knowing all he needs to do it not F it up. Which he also did as a rookie. Give him time to relax a little and I think the accuacy will come. IMO - Orton has a little toughness and moxey that Rex and Griese do not. He has also not recieved a complete fair shot thusfar his carreer.

Trade Griese, sign Rex to an incentive laden deal and let a QB earn the job. FYI - The QB out of Michigan looked really good.

I agree here. I too think that Orton played with more authority than either Rex or Griese. He may not have had the stats but just watching him operate the offense, seeing his arm strength, his pocket presence, I think we can let Griese go if we resign Rex. We don't need a guy who might be #3 on the depth chart getting 5M. I would love to see the Bears use an offense consultant to help them pick the next QB. They have made so many bad choices for so long, let somebody who makes their living at finding, scouting, knowing talent hep out.

I agree here. I too think that Orton played with more authority than either Rex or Griese. He may not have had the stats but just watching him operate the offense, seeing his arm strength, his pocket presence, I think we can let Griese go if we resign Rex. We don't need a guy who might be #3 on the depth chart getting 5M. I would love to see the Bears use an offense consultant to help them pick the next QB. They have made so many bad choices for so long, let somebody who makes their living at finding, scouting, knowing talent hep out.

If they believe Orton is the man for next yr, they should let Rex go. With the money tied into Griese it is best to keep him around as the backup. Draft a QB in rounds 3 or 4 (Flacco please) to develop for the future.

I liked what Kyle showed us the past 3 games. He does not have the ceiling Rex has but he is much more consistent. If they decide to go with Orton next yr I will not be upset as long as they address the other issues (OL, WR, RB, S).

Peace :bears

Agreed.

If they believe Orton is the man for next yr, they should let Rex go. With the money tied into Griese it is best to keep him around as the backup.

I liked what Kyle showed us the past 3 games. He does not have the ceiling Rex has but he is much more consistent. If they decide to go with

Orton next yr I will not be upset as long as they address the other issues (OL, WR, RB, S).

Furthermore, the relationship that Orton and Griese have seems quite positive and supportive.

Draft a QB in rounds 3 or 4 (Flacco please) to develop for the future.

I'd LOVE to see Joe Flacco or Dennis Dixon and suggest that regardless of the player, if a possible stud QB is available in the second,

the trigger should be pulled. The most important position on the team needs some talent influx and it will also provide a push from

the bottom of the depth chart because it's a higher draft pick.

Note:

These comments assume this staff can:

1. Recognize QB talent

2. Conduct / Evaluate 'Open' QB competition

3. Develop QB talent

The ability / success shown by Orton has left me seriously questioning this staff's ability to field a top QB.

Hello... :sleep ...is ANYone awake at Halas Hall?!?

We'll know for certain a year from now.

Agree:

Ryan Clady and Jeff Otah are the only real OT prospects worth the 14th pick. Sam Baker, I could see him falling to the 3rd and he is in no way worth the 14th pick... My big board is:

1. Ryan Clady

2. Jeff Otah

3. Kenny Phillips

I agree that Sam Baker is a reach at #14, but, I do doubt that he falls to the third unless his knee shows problems.

Disagree:

I'd rather reach on Duke Robinson (if he declares) with the 14th pick. ... My big board is:

4. Duke Robinson

5. Brian Brohm

6. Andre' Woodson

I am hoping for :pray

Dixon

large_dixon.jpg

or

Flacco

fb07-flacco-asu1(mc).jpg

in the second, but, I'd be content with Duke or Brian instead.

NOT Andre though, he feels like Brian Leftwich Part 2.

Lastly, if Duke or Brian were selected, I'd still like to see Dixon or Flacco taken and possibly both. :bears

Agree:

I agree that Sam Baker is a reach at #14, but, I do doubt that he falls to the third unless his knee shows problems.

Disagree:

I am hoping for :pray

Dixon

large_dixon.jpg

or

Flacco

fb07-flacco-asu1(mc).jpg

in the second, but, I'd be content with Duke or Brian instead.

NOT Andre though, he feels like Brian Leftwich Part 2.

Lastly, if Duke or Brian were selected, I'd still like to see Dixon or Flacco taken and possibly both. :bears

:chair

I'm still not sold on a guy that looked good for one season. Sure, he could be the next Brady, but the odds are agasint that. SD's circumstances were totally different. They got rid of a guy that had been there for years and finally started loking good. They chose to go with pretty much the overall #1 pick in the draft, not someone like Quinn who dropped much lower.

I do think you're spot on thinking that they will field offers and if they get a doozy, they'll go for it. Kind of like when Minny traded away everything to get Walker years ago. I think only a 1st rounder is too light. Heck, let's not forget about Rick Mirer. He looked fantastic the year before we traded for him.

I dunno about that. I mean, things really haven't worked out poorly for the last team that had this same circumstance except with a better 1st like QB, the Chargers, have they?

They will certainly field offers, but they may well decide that they're going to need to be blown away to deal Anderson. Especially if you consider that the coaching staff and front office seemed on the verge of losing their jobs coming into this season. Dealing Anderson for a first rounder might be the right decision if someone offers it, but then those guys have to go from being 8-8 to committing to developing another rookie QB in Quinn, and a 4-12 campaign next year might cost those folks their jobs, rightly or wrongly.

here is a great video of the Bears future stud QB...

if i was putting together a highlight reel i wouldn't have the first clip be of me throwing a ball behind the receiver. that should've been a highlight for the reicever, not the qb.

i'm no expert at evaluating talent, but i can tell you for sure that guy does not have an nfl arm. sometimes there's a reason you play for the u of delaware.

if i was putting together a highlight reel i wouldn't have the first clip be of me throwing a ball behind the receiver. that should've been a highlight for the reicever, not the qb.

i'm no expert at evaluating talent, but i can tell you for sure that guy does not have an nfl arm. sometimes there's a reason you play for the u of delaware.

He looked like he had a pretty strong arm to me, based with the amount of stuff he was able to put on the ball when he was off his back foot due to pressure or on a scramble. I got to admit that clip was pretty impressive, mainly because he showed good vision and the ability to make things happen under pressure.

The one main concern I'd have would be his smarts (I think it is important for any QB drafted to be incredibly smart, football wise, and if I were a GM I'd have a nice set of tests set up to test the Qb's smarts) and what seems to be a relatively longer delivery (he definitely doesn't have a super quick release, than again, I've watched so much of Rex and his ridiculously quick release). Still, I'd have zero problem drafting this guy in the 2nd or 3rd (I think where we pick in the 2nd may be a bit too high, but that isn't to say the team can't move down or make something happen to get him).

He looked like he had a pretty strong arm to me, based with the amount of stuff he was able to put on the ball when he was off his back foot due to pressure or on a scramble. I got to admit that clip was pretty impressive, mainly because he showed good vision and the ability to make things happen under pressure.

The one main concern I'd have would be his smarts (I think it is important for any QB drafted to be incredibly smart, football wise, and if I were a GM I'd have a nice set of tests set up to test the Qb's smarts) and what seems to be a relatively longer delivery (he definitely doesn't have a super quick release, than again, I've watched so much of Rex and his ridiculously quick release). Still, I'd have zero problem drafting this guy in the 2nd or 3rd (I think where we pick in the 2nd may be a bit too high, but that isn't to say the team can't move down or make something happen to get him).

He would be a project to develop. Look to get him at the end of the 2nd or somewhere in the 3rd.