Training Camp surprises

AZ54

It's time to start some predictions about who steps up this year to contribute more than expected heading into training camp. Last years' defensive surprise had to be McBride who ended up getting a lot of playing time last year and did well in coverage. He was talked about quite a bit in camp.

If there was an offensive surprise last year although Olson made a lot of highlight catches in camp. As a first round pick that was kinda expected.

This year my picks will be:

Defense/special teams - Corey Graham. This kid played well on special teams at the end of the year I think he ends up as our 3rd CB this year ahead of McBride. 3rd CB does not mean he's our nickel DB, just that he'd end up replacing Nate or Peanut if either go down. Aside from that, he becomes a key special teams player for us in the coverage units and makes everyone forget about that Brendan guy who left for more money.

Offense - I'm going with the easy one..Hester. For him to be considered to have stepped up he'll have to prove that he's a legit WR run legitimate routes. No more gimicky stuff just line up and run the same plays everyone else on offense runs. While he won't be at his full potential I think we see that he's finally ready to display his talents early and often on offense.

Defense/special teams - Corey Graham. This kid played well on special teams at the end of the year I think he ends up as our 3rd CB this year ahead of McBride. 3rd CB does not mean he's our nickel DB, just that he'd end up replacing Nate or Peanut if either go down. Aside from that, he becomes a key special teams player for us in the coverage units and makes everyone forget about that Brendan guy who left for more money.

Offense - I'm going with the easy one..Hester. For him to be considered to have stepped up he'll have to prove that he's a legit WR run legitimate routes. No more gimicky stuff just line up and run the same plays everyone else on offense runs. While he won't be at his full potential I think we see that he's finally ready to display his talents early and often on offense.

On defense: I'm going to go with a cornerback, but a different one. I'll pick Zack Bowman. He's supposed to be a tremendous talent that might have been a first rounder if not for injuries. It appears that he's 100% healthy now. I look for him to be the #1 back-up at CB.

Offense: It's tough to argue with Hester. I pick Greg Olsen. I look for him to make the pro-bowl this year.

This one is a tough one. Like trying to pick sleepers in fantasy football leagues. I always seem to get burned.

On offense it would be easy to say Forte, Hester, or Olsen, 3 players we all have high hopes for. However, not to be accused of being a "shirt tail" guy with my selection, I am going to stick my neck out and say I think the surprise of the offense coming into 2008 will be Rex Grossman. I see him having a QB rating of about 90, 25 TDs 10 INT and about 2,900 yds with a completion percentage around 58%.

On defense there are some interesting possibilities. I certainly like Bowman, Seltz, & Harrison. I think these 3 rookies have an excellent chance to be top of the line starters in the near future. However, my man Dusty. What can I say? I have been high on him since we drafted him and he has had trouble staying on the field. If he can stay injury free this year, I think he will be a dominate force next to Harris and our DL will rOcK... Dusty is my man on D.

On offense im gonna go with Forte having an awesome season better than most people think and Hester will be helping him out because no team is going to stack the box when Hester is on the field with a more expanded roll. Kevin Jones change of pace back Forte will put up good number plus im watching some of his college videos he is a beast.

On defense i called it on Corey Graham when we drafted him he was coming off a broken leg but our corner's are amazing top to bottom we have 3 big corners with Bowman, Tillman, and Graham. Not only is he going to be the 3rd corner but he is going to be the special teams ace.

DEFENSE: I see Steltz solidifying the SS spot with McGowan being a situation player and special teamer. Graham will be Tillman's backup and McBride will be Vasher's because of their skill sets. D Manning will have the nickleback spot and stay there even if there is an injury so we can avoid having to move too many players around.

OFFENSE: Earl Bennett becomes the slot receiver and a really good contributor to the O. Our TE duo however will be our biggest weapon on offense. Forte has a solid rookie season and contends for OROY. Hester won't really contribute much on offense but still gives us great field from special teams.

DEFENSE: I would think the guy who is most ready to make an imeediate impact on "D" is Dusty as long as he stay's healthy. I also think K. Payne will be pushing for starting time at SS by the end of TC. Summary: Overall this unit should be a top 5 def and the depth really looks great going into TC.

OFFENSE: I have a different TE making an impact as a rookie especially in the RedZone - Kellen Davis who is a real physical specimen could be a dangerous weapon for us this season. I think Forte will have an excellent rookie season 1200 yds 12TD as well as C. Williams settliong in at LT with both players helping Rex have his best and most consistent season as a pro thus earning not only the starting job but a 4 year extension. Summary: The "O" may not have the star attractions like the way Chad Johnson and Carson Palmer give to the Bengals but I think this Blue Collar Bears offense will give a great effort and get the job done and really suprise many!

Special Teams: I see Jamar Williams stepping up and being the impact on ST that BA was past few season.

OFFENSE: I have a different TE making an impact as a rookie especially in the RedZone - Kellen Davis who is a real physical specimen could be a dangerous weapon for us this season.

I'll go with a theme: guys who do well, and look great when healthy.

Defense: Dusty

Offense: Mark Bradley

On a side note, if Kellen Davis ends up being the impact player this year, then there will either be a major disappointment or injury on offense, or a horrible display of coaching from Turner.

IMHO I will go with the entire offense. We can only get better and we have.Have my reason is that we have Forte and Jones at RB Llyod/Booker/Bennett new at WR with something to prove. Olsen & Davis at TE(great mismatches) Tait at RT Williams at LT so this gives the O more fire power to go do some great things.

I'm going to say Brandon Lloyd and Garrett Wolfe on offense. Both are playing for roster spots and are explosive talents'. On defense, I like Craig Steltz and Corey Graham. The easy choice is Hester in his 2nd year at WR. I just don't think they are going to give him a huge amount of reps to save his legs

DEFENSE: I see Steltz solidifying the SS spot with McGowan being a situation player and special teamer. Graham will be Tillman's backup and McBride will be Vasher's because of their skill sets. D Manning will have the nickleback spot and stay there even if there is an injury so we can avoid having to move too many players around.

OFFENSE: Earl Bennett becomes the slot receiver and a really good contributor to the O. Our TE duo however will be our biggest weapon on offense. Forte has a solid rookie season and contends for OROY. Hester won't really contribute much on offense but still gives us great field from special teams.

Any bold preictions?

Garrett Wolfe on offense.

Agreed, he needs many more touches this season.

The easy choice is Hester in his 2nd year at WR. I just don't think they are going to give him a huge amount of reps to save his legs

Agreed, it is asking TOO much of the kid to return kicks, play WR, AND mentor the coaches. :lolhitting

My choice for TC Surprise would be the new #3 QB for the 2008 season: Caleb Haine.

Caleb_Haine.jpg

I'll go with a theme: guys who do well, and look great when healthy.

Defense: Dusty

Offense: Mark Bradley

On a side note, if Kellen Davis ends up being the impact player this year, then there will either be a major disappointment or injury on offense, or a horrible display of coaching from Turner.

Jason -- it's funny but now there is even a post created just to talk about Kellen Davis -- I guess others are paying attention to what he is doing and agree with me that he could be a big suprise..

Any bold preictions?

Here's a bold prediction for the season:

Offense - Hester will have his reps, but the person I honestly see winning 50% of the #2 spot is Rashied Davis. A lot of people are really talking about how much stronger and faster rashied looks this year, and thus far in camp he seems to be doing a great job. Last year, on minimum plays he was in for us, he really came up big. I could see him playing in the # 2 spot just as much as devin and his yards after the catch are just what we need. When devin is in the #2 spot I could see him being the slot guy with someone like Bennett getting in on 4 receiver sets since it is his rookie year. Next year this could be a whole different discussion. This offense can do a lot more than what it did last year and that's not the koolaid talking. I mean 4-5 receiver sets when you throw llyod in there, then you also have the 2-3 te sets with clark, olsen, and k davis. Add in the fact of forte/ jones/ wolfe being in the backfield, all of whom can take a dump-off the distance and we're looking pretty good if the o-line staightens up this year. Either way, from a skill position stand-point we're better than an aging moose, butterfinger berrian, and a brewing benson. This year's roster is way better than last and I think we'll show everyone against the colts come Sept!

Defense - Laugh all you want, but Alex Brown was pretty pissed to lose his job to Andersen last year. Mark my words he will be playing with purpose this year to show the coaches they were wrong to put Mark ahead of him. I see a. brown really having a good year especially if both dusty and tommie stay healthy, cause he won't see any double teams.

Special teams. I would like to see this happen on offense: Forte get 50% of the carries, Jones with 30-35, Wolfe with 10-15 and peterson get what's left whether it be 5% or a little more. Leaving Peterson to be the man who makes us forget about the loss of BA. I think the running back position was addressed for this reason. I like AP but he's more valuable to us as a special teamer than a running back now with jones on the roster. If Forte or Jones gets hurt, which is a good possiblity, then he's bumped ahead of wolfe and someone like williams or payne or graham, or okwo can fill his spot on special teams, but until then he's our guy.

Yesterday while I was at TC I thought Bennett and Forte looked good.So I have to say that Bennett would have to be the surprise.Tyler Reed looked decent in blocking drills.Kellen Davis is a physical specimen and looks pretty quick for his size. On defense Toeana(sp?) looked like he did towards the end of the season strong as an ox and hard to move from the point of attack.I wouldn't be surprised if he started the season opposite Harris on the first defensive snap.

Yesterday the two primary QB's didn't look particularly sharp but Caleb Hanne looked decent.Brandon Lloyd laid out a couple of times to catch passes and Bennett and K. Davis look like they have decent hands. On defense I noticed that McGowan worked with first team at SS along with M.Brown and I didn't see D.Manning or R.Manning jr doing much on the field at all. Hester for someone with a sore hamstring looked like he was moving pretty well fielding punts without pads.

Yesterday while I was at TC I thought Bennett and Forte looked good.So I have to say that Bennett would have to be the surprise.Tyler Reed looked decent in blocking drills.Kellen Davis is a physical specimen and looks pretty quick for his size. On defense Toeana(sp?) looked like he did towards the end of the season strong as an ox and hard to move from the point of attack.I wouldn't be surprised if he started the season opposite Harris on the first defensive snap.

Yesterday the two primary QB's didn't look particularly sharp but Caleb Hanne looked decent.Brandon Lloyd laid out a couple of times to catch passes and Bennett and K. Davis look like they have decent hands. On defense I noticed that McGowan worked with first team at SS along with M.Brown and I didn't see D.Manning or R.Manning jr doing much on the field at all. Hester for someone with a sore hamstring looked like he was moving pretty well fielding punts without pads.

Thanks for the update and great to see you posting!! I missed reading your input on the forum!

Thanks Pix I have to fight two teenage grandsons for computer time so I usually just watch tv for my football fix. Of course with the players back in pads I ready to talk football.LOL

LOL, I have 9 grandkids, so I know where you are coming from. When 2 of the older ones were living with me I actually purchased a PC for them so that they would have no excuse to "invade" my turf, :rolleyes:

Here's what I see:

Offense: Rasheed Davis. This is his 3rd yr in the league. He will breakout and will have 50 catches with at least 5 TDs

Defense: Brandon McGowan. This is his 3rd yr in the league. A healthy Mike Brown is going to make him much, much better.

Special Teams: Corey Graham. He was 2nd on the team in special teams tackles last yr. He will be the special teams mvp this yr.

Peace :dabears

They have their own but they still get on mine when I'm asleep thinking that I would'nt notice.Especially if you don't shut it down.

Marcus Harrison on the D-line looked a little lost on a couple of snaps but,Anthony Adams and Toeana(sp?) look like that could be an interesting battle shapping up for the starting nod next to Tommie Harris who blew past Beekman on one play with a swim move and got pancaked by Garza on the next snap. He had a huge brace on his knee but seemed to be moving well. I could see the possibilty of a really swift 3rd down defense with Anderson taking one of the end spots and Idonije lining up at tackle. Of the DEs it seemed that Alex Brown was the only one that was going hard and even seemed to take exception to whoever was trying to block him by shoving the blocker of at the whistle.I liked that. A pissed off Alex Brown is a force to be reckoned with.

Lemon your surprised at Bennett?? IO he could be the best receiver we have

Flea it is surprising if you see a first year WR come in to Bears' camp and look like he can make an immediate contribution. I can't remember the last one that came in with his type of skill set to a Bears' TC.

Flea it is surprising if you see a first year WR come in to Bears' camp and look like he can make an immediate contribution. I can't remember the last one that came in with his type of skill set to a Bears' TC.

My TC/Preseason surprises.

Grossman will lead the NFC in preseason yards with Orton not far behind him at #6. The coaches are going to let these guys play alot during the preseason.

Wolfe will lead the NFC in preseason all purpose yards (rec/rush)

Bennett will lead the NFC in preseason receiving yards

Anderson will lead the NFC in preseason sacks

Jason -- it's funny but now there is even a post created just to talk about Kellen Davis -- I guess others are paying attention to what he is doing and agree with me that he could be a big suprise..

You misunderstood me. I'd love it if the dude turns out to be just like Antonio Gates. However, right now he's third on the depth chart and shouldn't be doing too much on offense if everything is going well.

If he sees a lot of time, then there are two possibilities that I realistically see:

1) One of the big two (Olsen & Clark) is not doing well, which would be a disappointment

2) Turner is not using Olsen and Clark to the fullest extent, which wouldn't surprise me since he used nearly no player properly last year.