Orton SUCKS

Da Bears 88

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed! I didn't understand the no challenge on that at all!

Not sure why the Bears did not challege that play but they scored anyway so it does not matter. Horrible play calling. 4th and one they need to spread the field and then if notheing is there I would have be happier to see a QB sneek than the FB dive!

Not true. Olsen and Ron Turner managed the Bears into a loss.

Olsen hold onto the pill and we win.

Regardless of the QB, we still need to find a #1. Orton will manage the shop well, but he's not the answer. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm starting to see that he can't quite get it done. But, I want to give him the reigns for the season. So far, he's doing what is expected. Hold the fort, move the chains, don't make the big error.

Orton managed the Bears into a loss. However, It would be bad for the team to go into a competition or even throw out Grossmans name right now. Orton gets at least 4 starts (most likely 6, unless he's hideous the next 2 games). At that point if Orton isn't making some improvements you might consider playing Rex.

However, the reality is the Bears are riding on Orton. IF he fails, than Rex could come in, but regardless it means the Bears need to find a #1 this off-season. If Orton succeeds, than the Bears have there QB. Because of that you'll see them give Kyle every chance to succeed.

Rex woud have easily put the game out of reach! For Carolina!

When we have no running game we'll be in even more trouble.

Orton and his noodled ass arm belongs back on the bench.

He's proven absolutely nothing to me. Bench his ass.

Rex is the best QB on this team. Put him in.

At least he can throw the deep ball and put up better numbers.

Great points Lucky!

I do not get why we are not trying to hit our receivers in stride!?

it's a bit early to throw the baby out with the bathwater. orton has started only five games (excluding his rookie year). like any young qb he has made some bad decisions and had some accuracy problems but i think it's way to early to sum up his career at this point.

i disagree orton has to be able to throw deep balls for this team to succeed. what he HAS to do is be accurate in the 10-15 yard range, he has to hit his receivers in stride in the 5-10 yard patterns and let the receivers make YAK.

one other thing i want to mention... i look at our arial attack and it seems to me that many if not MOST of our passing plays to our wideouts require the receiver to reach a spot, stop, turn and catch the pass (and usually be tackled immediately). they are not DESIGNED to hit a player in stride. they are not DESIGNED to give your receivers the best chance at YAK. although this may be fine to beat some zone coverages at times in a game, this to me is not how you want to set up the bastardized type of west coast offense we try to run. this also holds true on these horrible sideline passes we keep throwing game after game after game to no ones surprise.

to sum it up, i think orton HAS shown some very good things. not enough to say he is a lock as a starting qb in the nfl but enough to show with some work it is POSSIBLE for him to become a #1.

on a final note: i also am not convinced this coaching staff has scripted a complete game plan to help him out either.

No turnovers...that cuts it in the NFL. Some other options that are starting for other clubs are far worse.

He's averaged just barely 150 yards passing in the first two games.

That won't cut it in the NFL. Enough of these stupid ass 4 yard passes.

Learn how to throw the deep ball Orton or GTFO and let Rex take over.

Guest TerraTor
Orton managed the Bears into a loss. However, It would be bad for the team to go into a competition or even throw out Grossmans name right now. Orton gets at least 4 starts (most likely 6, unless he's hideous the next 2 games). At that point if Orton isn't making some improvements you might consider playing Rex.

However, the reality is the Bears are riding on Orton. IF he fails, than Rex could come in, but regardless it means the Bears need to find a #1 this off-season. If Orton succeeds, than the Bears have there QB. Because of that you'll see them give Kyle every chance to succeed.

All this stuff is BS. He didnt play great but it wasnt him who couldnt hold onto the fuckkin ball in the red... Olsen left at least 6 points on the field AND gave all momentum back to a shitty Panthers team

He's averaged just barely 150 yards passing in the first two games.

That won't cut it in the NFL. Enough of these stupid ass 4 yard passes.

Learn how to throw the deep ball Orton or GTFO and let Rex take over.

They are both mediocre QB's. We've seen what Rex does, and we've seen what Orton does. You need to realize that the ONLY thing Rex brings is the deep ball. He can't read blitzes at all. He doesn't audible around them, he doesn't change protection around them, he doesn't find the open receiver. He just goes back, back back.... and takes the sack for 10+ yards or lobs up a desperation ball.

TerraTor calls 19/32 for 149 yards "fine".

Please pass them drugs you're taking.

He had a QB rating of 71 and a passer rating of 59.4

Yep, that was just "fine".

Your comments throughout this post are just retarded. I seriously want to just reach through the computer and slap you.

Orton was a bright spot, actually, considering what I wanted from him. I have a feeling this topic is dominated by a small handful of people who have hated Orton since before the season and they've suckered some others over to their cause.

No picks, no fumbles or dropped center-QB exchanges, only got sacked once, stayed poised the whole time, surprisingly decisive, directed an offense that could mount honest-to-goodness drives, etc.

I'm so happy watching Orton at QB so far because it's just night and day from what I'm used to seeing. Not exactly incredible, but it almost feels that way, nevertheless. Throw in that this is just his 5th start in recent history and second this season and he's definitely looking better than I figured he would this early.

As big as the no turnovers/sacks/busted plays stuff is, I think what really makes me so happy is the poise. If you go back a month or two you can find me posting on how Orton is a young QB on an NFL team with quite a history of flakiness at the position and that I'm not accepting him until he proves he can show self-control and poise through at least a few games. I've said the same thing about Rex during his 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. chances at being starting QB and he always let me down. I still like Rex...maybe he's been psychologically ruined, I don't know, but for now Orton is showing he gets it, and I'm not looking back. If I was Lovie, I would have said to Orton before the season "Do what I ask of you. Respect your teamates enough to let them do their jobs. You don't have to do it for them. If you can't manage to do even that without flaking out, why should I trust you to do anything? I will quickly kick you off the team, and you will know exactly why."

Some other thoughts:

--Orton's pass to Booker was actually a decent pass. It didn't miss by much. It's called a low % pass for a reason, and I could tell Booker never reached a true sprint either.

--Orton had *technically* 4 drives all day long that didn't have 10+ penalty yards or a fumble drivekiller (*though a 5th was the intentional grounding to avoid a sack drive). To be more fair, you might take out 3 of those 4 drives due to

1) one drive was the Booker deep pass drive...and that was the only pass Orton threw on that set of downs

2) one drive was the final drive, hurryup and bad playcalling and all

3) Rashied dropped a 3rd down pass that hit him right in the hands. ...which confirms what I thought I saw when I watched the game. It means that with those exceptions, Orton had only ONE* drive opportunitiy all day long that wasn't marred by his teamates 11 penalties or Olson's fumbles. Look it up at NFL.com if you don't believe me.

--Orton's last drive audible was bad

--every QB has "almost" INT's every game. orton had maybe one more of those than I'm comfortable with.

--Orton does not need to improve quickly, as another post put it. He needs to do what I said above, or he's "off the team", hehe.

--I think it may be true that Orton's "almost" TD was in fact an outright TD not called by the refs, which would have given him a QB rating in the 90's I bet.

--Anyone who actually watched the game (I'll give you a pass if you just looked at post-game stats) and is still calling for Orton's head after 2 games, one of which was a huge win over Indy, and the other was one where we led almost the whole game, then you deserve to be sucked into an alternate reality dimension where the Bears go 60 more years without a good QB.

Grossman would have thrown a loft ball on the last drive and we all know it. probably 10 yards short of Brandon Lloyd or whoever and it woulda been picked off......

I am a big fan of the run 20 yards backwards at the first sign of pressure then throw the lob or drop the ball on the ground.

Yes. Rex was on the sideline talking to Kyle after a bad pass on a 3rd down. Don't know why'd you call him a stupid ass, he's always been a team guy.

b/c he has never shown any football smarts...being a team player doesn't make him smarter. I was a fan of Rex, he just made WAY too many mistakes

I agree some of the hate is a bit quesionable.

I will say this game showed some of Ortons weaknesses as well as strengths. Orton needs to improve his downfield strikes. It wasn't just one time, but numerous, where he missed WRs downfield, and by a bit. The announcers kept showing the numbers, and how effective he was in short strikes, but how ineffective he was downfield. At one time, I think he was 1 of 7 on throws 16+ yards, or something like that. That is not on anyone but Orton. Playcall was good enough, as the WR was getting open downfield. Pass protection on most of those plays looked good enough, as Orton was able to stand in the pocket and make the throw. His throws were simply off target. No question we can not expect every one of those passes to be completed, but (a) most were not even that close and (B) he needs to complete a higher percentage downfield than he did.

This is a weakness in his game right now, and an area he needs to work on. That's all I am saying.

But I also think we saw several things that really speaks well about him.

Pocket presense is huge. Numerous times I saw DEs coming around the edge, only to see Orton take a step or two forward. Once he did this, the DEs simply looked like they were taking wide routes, and the OTs job was made easier. It is such a small thing, but one Rex rarely seemed to get. IMHO, Rex would have been sacked a ton yesterday. Rex more often continued to drop back further and further, often right into the path of the DE. He made the OT look worse than he was. Orton makes the OTs job easier by moving up and around the pocket.

I also thought Orton seemed to have "sense" of pressure. Call it an internal clock, 6th sense or just great peripheral vision, but several times I saw a pass rusher bearing down on Orton, only to see Orton move or get rid of the ball before the rusher had an opportunity for the sack. This was a gripe w/ Rex, who wouldn't even seem to notice pass rushers who blitzed up the middle, right in his face, until it was too late.

But it isn't just pocket presence. I also thought Rex showed solid accuracy. Several times I saw him put the ball where only the WR could make a play on it. I have read where some said his pass to Lloyd was bad, but Lloyd just made a great play on the ball. BS. If Orton led Lloyd, then the DB would have been in position to make a play on the ball. By putting the ball where he did, Lloyd had to adjust, but was also the only one who had a chance to catch the ball. Delhomme did the same to us several times, as does every QB. I also saw him hit several receivers in stride, allowing for potential YAC. His downfield passing was far from accurate, but I thought his overall accuracy was solid.

Orton has a LONG way to go in my book to establish himself as more than a short term answer for us, but there is still no doubt in my mind that he is a better option than Rex. Reality is, w/ Orton behind center, we beat the Colts. This past week, we faced another good team, and w/ Orton at QB, were in a strong position to win, but Orton's fumbles and penalties killed us. IMHO, if Rex were the QB, we would have turned the ball over more, and seen far more QB sacks.

Orton was a bright spot, actually, considering what I wanted from him. I have a feeling this topic is dominated by a small handful of people who have hated Orton since before the season and they've suckered some others over to their cause.

No picks, no fumbles or dropped center-QB exchanges, only got sacked once, stayed poised the whole time, surprisingly decisive, directed an offense that could mount honest-to-goodness drives, etc.

I'm so happy watching Orton at QB so far because it's just night and day from what I'm used to seeing. Not exactly incredible, but it almost feels that way, nevertheless. Throw in that this is just his 5th start in recent history and second this season and he's definitely looking better than I figured he would this early.

As big as the no turnovers/sacks/busted plays stuff is, I think what really makes me so happy is the poise. If you go back a month or two you can find me posting on how Orton is a young QB on an NFL team with quite a history of flakiness at the position and that I'm not accepting him until he proves he can show self-control and poise through at least a few games. I've said the same thing about Rex during his 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. chances at being starting QB and he always let me down. I still like Rex...maybe he's been psychologically ruined, I don't know, but for now Orton is showing he gets it, and I'm not looking back. If I was Lovie, I would have said to Orton before the season "Do what I ask of you. Respect your teamates enough to let them do their jobs. You don't have to do it for them. If you can't manage to do even that without flaking out, why should I trust you to do anything? I will quickly kick you off the team, and you will know exactly why."

Some other thoughts:

--Orton's pass to Booker was actually a decent pass. It didn't miss by much. It's called a low % pass for a reason, and I could tell Booker never reached a true sprint either.

--Orton had *technically* 4 drives all day long that didn't have 10+ penalty yards or a fumble drivekiller (*though a 5th was the intentional grounding to avoid a sack drive). To be more fair, you might take out 3 of those 4 drives due to

1) one drive was the Booker deep pass drive...and that was the only pass Orton threw on that set of downs

2) one drive was the final drive, hurryup and bad playcalling and all

3) Rashied dropped a 3rd down pass that hit him right in the hands. ...which confirms what I thought I saw when I watched the game. It means that with those exceptions, Orton had only ONE* drive opportunitiy all day long that wasn't marred by his teamates 11 penalties or Olson's fumbles. Look it up at NFL.com if you don't believe me.

--Orton's last drive audible was bad

--every QB has "almost" INT's every game. orton had maybe one more of those than I'm comfortable with.

--Orton does not need to improve quickly, as another post put it. He needs to do what I said above, or he's "off the team", hehe.

--I think it may be true that Orton's "almost" TD was in fact an outright TD not called by the refs, which would have given him a QB rating in the 90's I bet.

--Anyone who actually watched the game (I'll give you a pass if you just looked at post-game stats) and is still calling for Orton's head after 2 games, one of which was a huge win over Indy, and the other was one where we led almost the whole game, then you deserve to be sucked into an alternate reality dimension where the Bears go 60 more years without a good QB.

C'mon guys.

You know who you're dealing with. Don't fall for the bait.

It's kind of like a Lioness fan with a Joey Harrington bumper sticker on his tractor saying Jon Kitna sucks...

Same here. Then when we ask him if he loves when Rex throws 3 INTs and fumbles once, he doesn't respond.

Great assessment nfo!

I agree some of the hate is a bit quesionable.

I will say this game showed some of Ortons weaknesses as well as strengths. Orton needs to improve his downfield strikes. It wasn't just one time, but numerous, where he missed WRs downfield, and by a bit. The announcers kept showing the numbers, and how effective he was in short strikes, but how ineffective he was downfield. At one time, I think he was 1 of 7 on throws 16+ yards, or something like that. That is not on anyone but Orton. Playcall was good enough, as the WR was getting open downfield. Pass protection on most of those plays looked good enough, as Orton was able to stand in the pocket and make the throw. His throws were simply off target. No question we can not expect every one of those passes to be completed, but (a) most were not even that close and (B) he needs to complete a higher percentage downfield than he did.

This is a weakness in his game right now, and an area he needs to work on. That's all I am saying.

But I also think we saw several things that really speaks well about him.

Pocket presense is huge. Numerous times I saw DEs coming around the edge, only to see Orton take a step or two forward. Once he did this, the DEs simply looked like they were taking wide routes, and the OTs job was made easier. It is such a small thing, but one Rex rarely seemed to get. IMHO, Rex would have been sacked a ton yesterday. Rex more often continued to drop back further and further, often right into the path of the DE. He made the OT look worse than he was. Orton makes the OTs job easier by moving up and around the pocket.

I also thought Orton seemed to have "sense" of pressure. Call it an internal clock, 6th sense or just great peripheral vision, but several times I saw a pass rusher bearing down on Orton, only to see Orton move or get rid of the ball before the rusher had an opportunity for the sack. This was a gripe w/ Rex, who wouldn't even seem to notice pass rushers who blitzed up the middle, right in his face, until it was too late.

But it isn't just pocket presence. I also thought Rex showed solid accuracy. Several times I saw him put the ball where only the WR could make a play on it. I have read where some said his pass to Lloyd was bad, but Lloyd just made a great play on the ball. BS. If Orton led Lloyd, then the DB would have been in position to make a play on the ball. By putting the ball where he did, Lloyd had to adjust, but was also the only one who had a chance to catch the ball. Delhomme did the same to us several times, as does every QB. I also saw him hit several receivers in stride, allowing for potential YAC. His downfield passing was far from accurate, but I thought his overall accuracy was solid.

Orton has a LONG way to go in my book to establish himself as more than a short term answer for us, but there is still no doubt in my mind that he is a better option than Rex. Reality is, w/ Orton behind center, we beat the Colts. This past week, we faced another good team, and w/ Orton at QB, were in a strong position to win, but Orton's fumbles and penalties killed us. IMHO, if Rex were the QB, we would have turned the ball over more, and seen far more QB sacks.

b/c he has never shown any football smarts...being a team player doesn't make him smarter. I was a fan of Rex, he just made WAY too many mistakes

Doesn't make him a stupid ass either. I really don't know what the obsession is with Rex and the sidelines but it's friggin obnoxious.

Let's worry about the play on the field.

Peace :dabears