Holts the Guy

DABEARSDABOMB

The three most attractive veteran WR options out there are Torry Holt, Plaxico Burress, and Matt Jones. Anyone else available isn't going to make the impact that these three guys can make. However, of the three individuals, Burress has had constant on the field and off the field problems and Jones has had very serious off the field problems. Suspensions are looming for both Jones and Burress and in Plax case you have jail to worry about.

Holt is a similar age to Burress and his productivity slipped last year but you can point to a lot of factors that led to the decrease (Rams being horrific being numero 1 through 10). Given the fact that the Bears just made a huge statement, they do have the leeway to go out and get a criminal (ie, Burress/Jones), but they also have a history of staying away from those type of guys (especially those guys that don't have youth as an excuse and both Jones and Plaxico have been around enough that they should have learned by now). So with that said, it's becoming very obvious to me that the Bears guy is Holt. I've been screaming all off-season he'd be the guy and it just made too much sense with Lovie's connection.

However, you now have Pace lobbying for him (see quotes below) and apparently the two are rather close and the Bears biggest competition, Tennesse and Jacksonville, don't have the QB's that Chicago has. To make matters even better, Lovie Smith was interviewed yesterday and was very glowing in how he talked about Holt (he was more up-beat than his usual self) and reading between the lines it sounds very clear that the Bears are in pursuit of Holt. I don't think its publicly out there yet, but now that the dust has settled with Cutler, expect the Bears to add another weapon for Jay to throw to and it will be Holt. It just makes too much sense. Also, I don't think this will put an end to the talk of the Bears taking a WR in the 2nd round, but it will at least allow them to consider other options if a better player were to fall or there WR was off the board.

"I spoke to Torry," Pace said. "It's funny he just probably at my house a few days before I even came here. I think he's just out searching. I'm probably recruiting him in Chicago here. And hopefully it works out."

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....cago-bears.html

The three most attractive veteran WR options out there are Torry Holt, Plaxico Burress, and Matt Jones. Anyone else available isn't going to make the impact that these three guys can make. However, of the three individuals, Burress has had constant on the field and off the field problems and Jones has had very serious off the field problems. Suspensions are looming for both Jones and Burress and in Plax case you have jail to worry about.

Holt is a similar age to Burress and his productivity slipped last year but you can point to a lot of factors that led to the decrease (Rams being horrific being numero 1 through 10). Given the fact that the Bears just made a huge statement, they do have the leeway to go out and get a criminal (ie, Burress/Jones), but they also have a history of staying away from those type of guys (especially those guys that don't have youth as an excuse and both Jones and Plaxico have been around enough that they should have learned by now). So with that said, it's becoming very obvious to me that the Bears guy is Holt. I've been screaming all off-season he'd be the guy and it just made too much sense with Lovie's connection.

However, you now have Pace lobbying for him (see quotes below) and apparently the two are rather close and the Bears biggest competition, Tennesse and Jacksonville, don't have the QB's that Chicago has. To make matters even better, Lovie Smith was interviewed yesterday and was very glowing in how he talked about Holt (he was more up-beat than his usual self) and reading between the lines it sounds very clear that the Bears are in pursuit of Holt. I don't think its publicly out there yet, but now that the dust has settled with Cutler, expect the Bears to add another weapon for Jay to throw to and it will be Holt. It just makes too much sense. Also, I don't think this will put an end to the talk of the Bears taking a WR in the 2nd round, but it will at least allow them to consider other options if a better player were to fall or there WR was off the board.

I dont think anyone is questioning that we will attempt to sign Holt. The biggest problem to all of this appears to be that his agent said he doesn't see Holt coming to the Bears. Hopefully Pace can change his mind.

I agree with you there,

With Plax i posted this in another thread:

"i wanted Plax coming from Pit but after watching him in NY i'm not so sure. Last year he signs a new deal worth 36 million(i think, not 100%) he then acts like an ass by missing meeting and a ton of other things we never hear about. they then suspend him for a game, along with fines. it comes out that the Giants had fined him 40 to 50 different times because he breaks so many rules before they decided to suspend him. later on he then shoots himself in the leg out at a club. he can play but do we really want all the crap that comes with him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3606150

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,111051

read thes two articles and tell me if a 1year deal with incentives will do the trick?? "

With Matt Jones I think if we were to go after him then why not Plax, Plax has proven way more on the field. Big question i would have on Matt Jones would be how was he in the locker room? and Did he go to all meetings? Things like that would have to be answered before signing him.

I dont think anyone is questioning that we will attempt to sign Holt. The biggest problem to all of this appears to be that his agent said he doesn't see Holt coming to the Bears. Hopefully Pace can change his mind.

I wonder if this something Holt said before Cutler or After the trade? It makes no sense for an agent to say this either. Wouldn't Holt's agent want all the teams interested in him to think that more teams were interested in his client? The more teams interested the higher the price gets driven up. JA should get Lovie, Pace, Cutler and Holt on a conference call and get it done!!

I really think that the Bears hadn't shown much any interest and than after the Cutler move happened they opted to go that route. That move just changed the whole timetable of the organization and now adding a receiver like Holt could be the move that puts the Bears over the top (obviously ignoring the other moves that happened this off-season). Pre Cutler trade, the addition of Holt wouldn't have made the Bears a superbowl contender, imo, now, it might. Plus, realistically the Bears can now really present themselves as the very best option for Holt, although the Giants are another good option as well.

How about Marvin Harrison? I think he too would be a viable WR candidate. Out of the 4 and considering all things (character, experience, production etc) I would have to rate Holt, Burress/Harrison then Jones a VERY distant last. I would rather see the Bears draft a WR before they consider Jones.

Here's to Holt coming to the Bears. If not him then make a try for Harrison.

So your saying that we're going to sign Holt because:

1. He's not a turd like the other two.

2. He's former teammates with Orlando Pace.

And you still believe this even though:

1. Holt's agent said it wasn't going to happen.

2. Holt is a speed receiver who plays best in a dome.

3. Holt will be 33 in June and is listed as 6-0, 190 (Burress will be 32 in August and is 6-5, 232--HUGE difference in size)

4. Angelo's said great things about Bennett, Hester & Olsen and wants them to develop.

Don't forget that in Angelo's end of the year press conference, he talked about fixing the QB position, NOT the WR position.

Most importantly, we brought in Moose & Booker, and they both sucked. Do we really want another broken down WR who will hinder the development of the guys we have? I wouldn't have a problem with a younger player like Jones, but no more old guys.

Sign a young WR who's still available for cheap (like DJ Hackett or Matt Jones). Draft a guy with the #49 pick, and lets see what happens.

I think you're being excessively harsh on Holt...

33 isn't horrid. It's younger than Harrison and I think just slightly older than when Moose came here.

What the heck have Hacket or Jones ever done? I'd rather roll the dice with our own guys than have Tony Montana's relative from the US on the club. More snow falls out of that guy's car than on a ski slope. I'm not even sure what to say a bout Hackett other than he seemed high on fantasy lists...until he didn't pan out.

I honestly think our team could use a vertan presence. Holt appears to fit the bill. We're not looking for a savior...we're just looking for a servicable guy for a few years while Devin, Bennett, and maybe a new draftee learn the ropes behind him.

I see no issue getting Holt. I do getting Jones. Hacket, I know next to nothing about and would seem like yet another Bears shot in the dark...

So your saying that we're going to sign Holt because:

1. He's not a turd like the other two.

2. He's former teammates with Orlando Pace.

And you still believe this even though:

1. Holt's agent said it wasn't going to happen.

2. Holt is a speed receiver who plays best in a dome.

3. Holt will be 33 in June and is listed as 6-0, 190 (Burress will be 32 in August and is 6-5, 232--HUGE difference in size)

4. Angelo's said great things about Bennett, Hester & Olsen and wants them to develop.

Don't forget that in Angelo's end of the year press conference, he talked about fixing the QB position, NOT the WR position.

Most importantly, we brought in Moose & Booker, and they both sucked. Do we really want another broken down WR who will hinder the development of the guys we have? I wouldn't have a problem with a younger player like Jones, but no more old guys.

Sign a young WR who's still available for cheap (like DJ Hackett or Matt Jones). Draft a guy with the #49 pick, and lets see what happens.

33 isn't horrid. It's younger than Harrison and I think just slightly older than when Moose came here.

What the heck have Hacket or Jones ever done? I'd rather roll the dice with our own guys than have Tony Montana's relative from the US on the club. More snow falls out of that guy's car than on a ski slope. I'm not even sure what to say a bout Hackett other than he seemed high on fantasy lists...until he didn't pan out.

I honestly think our team could use a vertan presence. Holt appears to fit the bill. We're not looking for a savior...we're just looking for a servicable guy for a few years while Devin, Bennett, and maybe a new draftee learn the ropes behind him.

I see no issue getting Holt. I do getting Jones. Hacket, I know next to nothing about and would seem like yet another Bears shot in the dark...

Rookies rarely make a impact in there first couple of years, so we draft one and bring in a FA such as Holt and see what happens.

Rookies rarely make a impact in there first couple of years, so we draft one and bring in a FA such as Holt and see what happens.

Normally I'd agree with you about the rookies, but last season Eddie Royal was a 2nd round draft pick who caught for 980 yards with 5 touchdowns.

DeSean Jackson was a 2nd round pick who caught for 982 yards.

Apparantly if you have a good QB, good things can happen.

I've liked Holt, but they say with his bad knee he's never going to be the same. Considering we're not a dome, I just don't think it's a good fit.

I have to reiterate the fact that I want to see what the players we already have can do with a very good quarterback.

I don't mean to be harsh, living somewhat near St. Louis, I know the guy has been a terrific player and a terrific teammate. I sure as hell wouldn't complain if we signed him. I just don't think it's a good idea.

It's not his age I have a problem with . . . it's the fact he's a receiver who relies heavily on his speed, plays best in a dome, and now he has a bad knee and would be playing in Chicago.

Jones's last arrest was for violating his probation by drinking beer on a golf course. At least he didn't threaten to shoot a cop (thanks Tank). Hackett's always been hurt. I'm not in love with either guy, but I like the prospect of having young WR's with talent.

I'd be saying the exact same thing as you if it wasn't for Moose & Booker.

Here's my biggest issue with Holt: I'm starting to fall in love with the idea that Olsen, Hester, & Bennett can be freaking great with Cutler. :cheers

Another player to possibly consider is Darrell Jackson

Darrell Jackson 5-11 210 age 30

He was hurt most of 2005, came back to help Seattle in 2006 make it to the Superbowl, set record for most 1st Quarter Rec., was traded after the 2006 season to SF. Didn't produce at SF and released. Signed on at Denver!!!, but sat behind Marshall, Royal, and Stokely on depth chart.

I'm not sure if he is suffering from an injury or just dropped off, but he used to be a stud at Sea. Maybe worth looking into.

Normally I'd agree with you about the rookies, but last season Eddie Royal was a 2nd round draft pick who caught for 980 yards with 5 touchdowns.

DeSean Jackson was a 2nd round pick who caught for 982 yards.

Apparantly if you have a good QB, good things can happen.

I've liked Holt, but they say with his bad knee he's never going to be the same. Considering we're not a dome, I just don't think it's a good fit.

I have to reiterate the fact that I want to see what the players we already have can do with a very good quarterback.

you just named the only two receivers last year that made contributions. There was 12 drafted in the second round last year. Avery from the Rams had a little sucess.

we certainly don't have the ammo to do it, but the rams said their #2 overall pick could could be had for the right price...im dreaming over even the thought of somehow pulling some miraculous deal where we did and got crabtree...back to reality though

It's not his age I have a problem with . . . it's the fact he's a receiver who relies heavily on his speed, plays best in a dome, and now he has a bad knee and would be playing in Chicago.

I'm not sure if Holt has ever been regarded as a speed reciever. I think he has always been renowned as a great route runner with arguably the best set of hands in the NFL.

Now, if he's an admitted fair weather guy that may be a problem.

Bradjock, you are making comparisons basically from apples to oranges when you compare Holt to Booker and Muhammad. Booker and Muhammad had to work with Grossman and Orton. Holt would have the opportunity to work with Cutler. That is a one BIG difference. Look what happened when Muhammad went back to Carolina. Once he got back with Delhomme, it was as if he never left. (Well ok maybe he slowed a bit). I would have gone with the injury thing being a problem too but after Lloyd came to Chicago and did pretty well, I would be willing to overlook that for a few years.

The point is with Hester, Bennet and Olsen (not sure why you bring him in the equation - he's a TE) having somebody like Holt would divert attention away from the younger guys and give them time to work on their techniques and learn from a good Veteran. And make the Offense that much more potent. Besides, what else are the Bears going to spend their money on? They won't be doing anything until late in the second round anyhow? Might as well

My money is still on Harrison though.

Holt's home/road splits the past 3 seasons:

2008:

Home - 34 rec, 483 yds, 3 td

Road - 30 rec, 313 yds, 0 td

2007:

Home - 41 rec, 597 yds, 6 td

Road - 52 rec, 592 yds, 1 td

2006:

Home - 45 rec, 660 yds, 7 td

Road - 48 rec, 528 yds, 3 td

He definitely scores more touchdowns at home, but he actually got more catches on the road. And with our 2009 schedule, he'll get 4 warm/indoor games vs Detroit, Minnesota, Atlanta, and at the dome in Seattle.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the knee issues. He still managed to play in all 16 games for the Rams last year.

Holt's home/road splits the past 3 seasons:

2008:

Home - 34 rec, 483 yds, 3 td

Road - 30 rec, 313 yds, 0 td

2007:

Home - 41 rec, 597 yds, 6 td

Road - 52 rec, 592 yds, 1 td

2006:

Home - 45 rec, 660 yds, 7 td

Road - 48 rec, 528 yds, 3 td

He definitely scores more touchdowns at home, but he actually got more catches on the road. And with our 2009 schedule, he'll get 4 warm/indoor games vs Detroit, Minnesota, Atlanta, and at the dome in Seattle.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the knee issues. He still managed to play in all 16 games for the Rams last year.

Thanks for the stats. They tell me three things.

1st - It doesn't matter where he plays.

2nd - More catches on the road means, he's the go to guy in hostile territory.

3rd - More TD's at home makes sense, as the 12th man is not hindering your audibles and timing in the red zone.

I hope that ends the Holt scrutiny.

3rd - More TD's at home makes sense, as the 12th man is not hindering your audibles and timing in the red zone.

It just tells me that we need this guy on the team come on JA get a HOLT of yourself!!

Last I heard players with knee or leg issues love to play on grass to lessen the stress on their injuries and extend their careers.

I'd love to get him. He's certainly not a long term answer, but he can be a solid stop gap while Hester develops learning from Holt, and we hopefully find our no. 1 within the next 2 years (whether it be a UFA next year or a draft pick this or next year).

Here's my breakdown of how Holt ideally allows the Bears to focus on the defense and oline for the next three years of the draft (sans a couple offensive selections) while still giving the Bear an elite offense for a while:

Even with the addition of Holt, the Bears will be targetting a young WR. WR's usually take 1-2 years to truly develop into the league, with the third year typically being there breakout year. In a perfect world, the addition of Holt means that both Hester and Bennett should emerge this year and potentially breakout a year from now (Hester is closer than Bennett) and than your new draft pick is able to ease in this season, gain more time next season and than burst out two years from now. Basically put, Holt is the perfect stop-gap over a 2-3 year period. This year he's your best WR, next year he takes a step back, but is still very good and adds respect (not to mention he's a great mentor) and in year three he's more of a 3rd WR (if one of Bennett/Hester/Pick busts) or a 4th WR (and I think he sticks around because he's older at that point in his career and ideally the Bears have won a superbowl or are at least consistently competing for one so he sticks around to get the ring). Plus if you look at it, essentially the Bears have to spend zero picks on the WR or TE spot in the next couple years with really the only offensive positions you have to worry about being the oline (they can go heavy there) and RB (you'll want to make sure you have someone brought in that can step in if Forte goes down, imo, and given the importance of the RB position and the short life span, it wouldn't be a bad idea a year or two from now to take a back in the 2nd round again). So essentially, you go WR early this draft, than turn the attention the next 2-3 years to the defense, oline, and one RB pick (and maybe a WR or two later in the draft).

Now someone will tell me that Clark is getting older, but I'll respond with our 3rd string TE being a freaking beast. The guy is a tremendous athlete, projects to be a great blocker, and has offensive ability and will be a great compliment to Clark (who I think will be gone after this season, unless he is willing to take a very reduced role). Bottom line, in one fell swoop, the Bears are instantly a player or two away from an elite offense (not just for one year, but a number of years).

Last I heard players with knee or leg issues love to play on grass to lessen the stress on their injuries and extend their careers.

Yep, anyone with leg/back/knee issues prefers playing on natural grass than turf. Especially the turf the Rans use. I don't know if they upgraded it this past season, but prior to that the Rams were supposed to have some of the worst turf in professional sports.