Hester gone

BearFan2000

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Hester will be gone, just saw this Rapoport article stating that the Bears will not try to re-sign Hester

That sucks, all great things come to an end. Sucks that he didn't get the record while playing for the Bears.... Wasn't one TD called back for a hold that looked OK on the replay??!!!

That sucks, all great things come to an end. Sucks that he didn't get the record while playing for the Bears.... Wasn't one TD called back for a hold that looked OK on the replay??!!!

I think your right about the called back play

I think this is just his opinion, our local team writers have a better sense to this that Rapoport.

I won't fully but iy until he signs elsewhere...

But if true, I am sad. I know it was bound to happen and on a pure logical level it should happen. But, I will always cherish the excitement he brought to each and every kickoff. I will never again watch a punted or kicked-off ball with the same anticipation.

Devin, if you are truly not in our plans...with all my heart as a Bears fan...thank you. You have been and always will be part of our storied history.

Now bust one more wherever you go and seal the deal.

Bear down.

:dabears

Looks like Hester will be gone, just saw this Rapoport article stating that the Bears will not try to re-sign Hester

I won't fully but iy until he signs elsewhere...

But if true, I am sad. I know it was bound to happen and on a pure logical level it should happen. But, I will always cherish the excitement he brought to each and every kickoff. I will never again watch a punted or kicked-off ball with the same anticipation.

Devin, if you are truly not in our plans...with all my heart as a Bears fan...thank you. You have been and always will be part of our storied history.

Now bust one more wherever you go and seal the deal.

Bear down.

:dabears

Beautiful and I agree 100% Madlith. So many of my best memories as a Bear fan include Devin Hester.

This would be a bad move for a variety of reasons.

First of which is his stats:

Among players with at least 17 Punt Returns (one less than Hester), he is…

3rd in Punt Return Average

8th (tied) for 20+ yard Punt Returns

4th (tied) for 20+ yard Punt Return %

3rd (tied) for 40+ yard Punt Returns

2nd for 40+ yard Punt Return %

8th (tied) for longest Punt Return [81 yards]

Among players with at least 20 Kickoff Returns, he is…

5th (tied) in KO Return Average

1st for 20+ yard KO Returns

4th for 20+ yard KO Return %

2nd for 40+ yard KO Returns

7th for 40+ yard KO Return %

5th for longest KO Return [80 yards]

Second is the abnormal number of near misses.

Remember Week 2 when he had kickoff returns of 76 and 80 yards? Both could have been TDs if not for one block. Freaking Steltz.

Or Week 11, the one where Hester returned a punt for a TD (at about 2:20) but there was a holding call that brought it back? Freaking Steltz. What makes this one worse is that Steltz didn't even need to hold the guy.

Or what about Week 13 when he broke one (about 1:53), but there were two unaccounted for tacklers which made it so Devin couldn't juke the kicker?

And let's not forget Week 15 when he would have returned a punt against the Browns if Blake Costanzo had just blocked the kicker?

Finally, what about the last week of the season when he nearly returned a punt (1:35) if it weren't for the fact that Weems missed the same guy twice in one play? Weems hits that guy early and Devin has his seam. All others are either locked up or too far away.

THE MAN IS STILL A DANGEROUS WEAPON AND ONE OF THE BEST RETURN MEN IN THE NFL. PERIOD.

Aside from that, he's a team player. He accepted the demotion last year and worked hard. It's not is fault the team dumped one of the best special teams coaches in the NFL, lost key ST contributors, and had a rash of injuries to others. If my research is right, his vet minimum would be $855K for 2014. He's worth that at the very least. The Bears should approach him as the veteran, team player, contributor, historically significant, long-standing Bear that he is, and offer him something around $1M. After Devin's agent negotiates, the price ends up somewhere around $1.25-$1.5M per year and it's for 2-3 years.

Letting Hester go will be a mistake.

I agree, if Hester would want to come back for a little more than the minimum, I would want him back.

Our luck, we let him walk, he signs with Dallas and has a game winning record breaking return and it becomes the highlight reel of the century on espn, nflnetwork, and so on.

The Bears should approach him as the veteran, team player, contributor, historically significant, long-standing Bear that he is, and offer him something around $1M. After Devin's agent negotiates, the price ends up somewhere around $1.25-$1.5M per year and it's for 2-3 years.

Agree. And one thing you forgot, he's just god damn fun to watch. If he'd accept that salary level (not sure what his market value is) I'd sure want to see him back.

First of which is his stats:

Among players with at least 17 Punt Returns (one less than Hester), he is…

3rd in Punt Return Average

8th (tied) for 20+ yard Punt Returns

4th (tied) for 20+ yard Punt Return %

3rd (tied) for 40+ yard Punt Returns

2nd for 40+ yard Punt Return %

8th (tied) for longest Punt Return [81 yards]

Among players with at least 20 Kickoff Returns, he is…

5th (tied) in KO Return Average

1st for 20+ yard KO Returns

4th for 20+ yard KO Return %

2nd for 40+ yard KO Returns

7th for 40+ yard KO Return %

5th for longest KO Return [80 yards]

Second is the abnormal number of near misses.

Remember Week 2 when he had kickoff returns of 76 and 80 yards? Both could have been TDs if not for one block. Freaking Steltz.

Or Week 11, the one where Hester returned a punt for a TD (at about 2:20) but there was a holding call that brought it back? Freaking Steltz. What makes this one worse is that Steltz didn't even need to hold the guy.

Or what about Week 13 when he broke one (about 1:53), but there were two unaccounted for tacklers which made it so Devin couldn't juke the kicker?

And let's not forget Week 15 when he would have returned a punt against the Browns if Blake Costanzo had just blocked the kicker?

Finally, what about the last week of the season when he nearly returned a punt (1:35) if it weren't for the fact that Weems missed the same guy twice in one play? Weems hits that guy early and Devin has his seam. All others are either locked up or too far away.

THE MAN IS STILL A DANGEROUS WEAPON AND ONE OF THE BEST RETURN MEN IN THE NFL. PERIOD.

Aside from that, he's a team player. He accepted the demotion last year and worked hard. It's not is fault the team dumped one of the best special teams coaches in the NFL, lost key ST contributors, and had a rash of injuries to others. If my research is right, his vet minimum would be $855K for 2014. He's worth that at the very least. The Bears should approach him as the veteran, team player, contributor, historically significant, long-standing Bear that he is, and offer him something around $1M. After Devin's agent negotiates, the price ends up somewhere around $1.25-$1.5M per year and it's for 2-3 years.

I agree

Couldn't agree more. All the 'facts' you presented show a fair number of near misses that occured just last year. I think there were a few games at the end of the season where he alone in his returns put the offense in a great position to start. And THAT is a huge factor by itself. Sure there are a few where he called fair catches that were questionable but those were distinctly in the minority. And for those others that he's not trying to return, the opposing team is doing all that it can to avoid kicking to him. Which on punts means the punter angling for an out of bounds kick which most times translates to good field position.

What a lot of "us" are doing are comparing the Hester of late to the Hester of his hey days. A few things to consider, Hester was working with a different ST coordinator last year. Obviously Toub was better at setting up the ST than is DeCamillis (or whatever his name is) and Hester is a bit older than he was then. Nevertheless, the current Hester is still better than a large number of return men still available.

The one and only knock I can say to Hester is that he can't contribute anywhere else. To pay him premium is difficult especially if you have a player like Williams (former Candadian player) who is a decent return man AND plays WR.

Couldn't agree more. All the 'facts' you presented show a fair number of near misses that occured just last year. I think there were a few games at the end of the season where he alone in his returns put the offense in a great position to start. And THAT is a huge factor by itself. Sure there are a few where he called fair catches that were questionable but those were distinctly in the minority. And for those others that he's not trying to return, the opposing team is doing all that it can to avoid kicking to him. Which on punts means the punter angling for an out of bounds kick which most times translates to good field position.

What a lot of "us" are doing are comparing the Hester of late to the Hester of his hey days. A few things to consider, Hester was working with a different ST coordinator last year. Obviously Toub was better at setting up the ST than is DeCamillis (or whatever his name is) and Hester is a bit older than he was then. Nevertheless, the current Hester is still better than a large number of return men still available.

The one and only knock I can say to Hester is that he can't contribute anywhere else. To pay him premium is difficult especially if you have a player like Williams (former Candadian player) who is a decent return man AND plays WR.

The biggest question will be what are others teams willing to pay Hester to be a return man and are the Bears willing to match it. I would have to think Hester would want to return to the Bears instead of playing for a different team for the same pay.

The biggest question will be what are others teams willing to pay Hester to be a return man and are the Bears willing to match it. I would have to think Hester would want to return to the Bears instead of playing for a different team for the same pay.

Lovie still thinks he's a number 1 receiver.

I would pay him vet. minimum to stay. That's it.

Great player in his prime but he has already been paid.

Peace :dabears

I've got to disagree somewhat. It doesn't matter if we over-paid him in the past. We pay him what we think he can be this year. He's easily worth Eric Weems money in the range of 1.25+ a year. There's a familiarity and he still generates excitement within the stadium.

I've got to disagree somewhat. It doesn't matter if we over-paid him in the past. We pay him what we think he can be this year. He's easily worth Eric Weems money in the range of 1.25+ a year. There's a familiarity and he still generates excitement within the stadium.

Actually Weems make more plays in a season than Hester did, but think Weems is over paid.

I would cut Weems.

If we can keep Hester, which didn't sound promising as he was on NFL network with AJ, I would for Weems money. Hester basically said he was done in Chicago but would like to retire a Bear when his career is over. Tampa was mentioned as a suitor and Hester said he'd love to rejoin Lovie. He has a lot of respect for Lovie because of him putting faith into him.

"Devin is a #1 WR"

I would pay him vet. minimum to stay. That's it.

Great player in his prime but he has already been paid.

That's so hypocritical considering your stance on Urlacher. You've essentially said that past seasons didn't matter, and a. Player is worth what they are this year. Hester is worth more than vet minimum this upcoming year. That is almost undeniable.

Actually Weems make more plays in a season than Hester did, but think Weems is over paid.

When was that? Weems didn't make many plays at all, and of those very few were impact plays. Hester's big plays this year were significantly larger than anything Weems has done his entire career.

When was that? Weems didn't make many plays at all, and of those very few were impact plays. Hester's big plays this year were significantly larger than anything Weems has done his entire career.

I was trying to be sarcastic.I dont think Weems is worth 1.25

That's so hypocritical considering your stance on Urlacher. You've essentially said that past seasons didn't matter, and a. Player is worth what they are this year. Hester is worth more than get minimum this upcoming year. That is almost undeniable.

I absolutely believe Hester is not worth any more than the vet minimum. I believe it is time to move on.