Bears talking to Jarred Allen

scs787

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All around agreed. If the Bears were able to resign Melton (assuming he's anywhere close to his former self) and get Allen would make me pretty happy. I've always liked Allen, and after a quick bit of reading about him I like him even more.

[Houston - Melton - ?? - Allen] is a pretty good front four.

I would put Ratliff in as the starting NT with that front four. Thinking about it a little more, if I had to choose one out of the 3 I would go with Allen. Emery has said the draft is deep at CB and there are some DT that could play right away. If you have Allen and Houston on the ends the line could be pretty good or at least better than last year.

I would put Ratliff in as the starting NT with that front four. Thinking about it a little more, if I had to choose one out of the 3 I would go with Allen. Emery has said the draft is deep at CB and there are some DT that could play right away. If you have Allen and Houston on the ends the line could be pretty good or at least better than last year.

The more I think about it, the Allen & Houston combo works really well. Offenses are forced to protect the edge that Allen is flying off of, which helps Houston. Similarly in the running game, they are less likely to have success running at Houston, which means the Bears could probably scheme to help Allen's side of the field.

Houston - Melton - Ratliff - Allen, let's do this!

The more I think about it, the Allen & Houston combo works really well. Offenses are forced to protect the edge that Allen is flying off of, which helps Houston. Similarly in the running game, they are less likely to have success running at Houston, which means the Bears could probably scheme to help Allen's side of the field.

Houston - Melton - Ratliff - Allen, let's do this!

Completely agree.

• 2 weeks later...

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 9m

Tidbit 1 on Jared Allen: He's considering 3 places now, with walking away still an option. Should know by the weekend what his future is

Hmmm.... The only rumored teams I've heard linked to Allen is Seattle, Denver, Dallas, and Chicago.

Denver is probably out after signing Ware

Dallas is probably out after signing Melton (Rapoport or Shefty said it was probably either or)

Are the Bear out after the Young signing? The recent cuttings of Bennett/Weems have me feeling they're gearing up for something.

Seattle has to be the favorites though.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 9m

Tidbit 1 on Jared Allen: He's considering 3 places now, with walking away still an option. Should know by the weekend what his future is

Hmmm.... The only rumored teams I've hear linked to Allen is Seattle, Denver, Dallas, and Chicago.

Denver is probably out after signing Ware

Dallas is probably out after signing Melton (Rapoport or Shefty said it was probably either or)

Are the Bear out after the Young signing? The recent cuttings of Bennett/Weems have me feeling they're gearing up for something.

Seattle has to be the favorites though.

Im trying to not get my hopes up. I would love this signing. Cant they make it incentive loaded so that it doesn't count against the cap, not sure if that is possible? Or set the 2nd year to be a bigger payday so they still have room this year?

Im trying to not get my hopes up. I would love this signing. Cant they make it incentive loaded so that it doesn't count against the cap, not sure if that is possible? Or set the 2nd year to be a bigger payday so they still have room this year?

If it's something they wanna do (I still think they view Young as a starter), they can make it happen. In the first year of Peppers deal his cap hit is only 3.5m, the following year it goes up to to 12m, but they can release him for 7m in savings(5M in dead money). If the Bears think they need him, I'd do something like that.

If it's something they wanna do (I still think they view Young as a starter), they can make it happen. In the first year of Peppers deal his cap hit is only 3.5m, the following year it goes up to to 12m, but they can release him for 7m in savings(5M in dead money). If the Bears think they need him, I'd do something like that.

What about 2 years 10 mil guaranteed? Not bad at this point in his career.

they can move Houston to 3 t spot, that would make for an interesting front 4. Young , Houston, Ratliff, Allen

they can move Houston to 3 t spot, that would make for an interesting front 4. Young , Houston, Ratliff, Allen

You're ignoring the rotational factor. At this stage in his career, Allen is more ideal as a rotational player. Young is more ideal as a rotational player. Houston is our best DE. Don't make him switch.

You add Allen and our DE position is set for this season. Then we draft the top defensive tackle to go with Paea, Collins, and Ratliff. Boom.

You're ignoring the rotational factor. At this stage in his career, Allen is more ideal as a rotational player. Young is more ideal as a rotational player. Houston is our best DE. Don't make him switch.

You add Allen and our DE position is set for this season. Then we draft the top defensive tackle to go with Paea, Collins, and Ratliff. Boom.

I really think Young is gonna be more than a rotational player, but aside from that your point remains.

What Stinger brought up is what I'd do on 3rd downs and when we're playing with a big lead (ie obvious passing situations).

My cousin said the Bears are in his top 3. Wouldn't say anything else to me. I'm hoping Emery can swing it. His veteran leadership on the line would be amazing! !

Thank you for the update. Can't blame the guy to have Seattle (I assume) as one of the options. But to say you were once a Chicago Bear.... Now that's something.

I really think Young is gonna be more than a rotational player, but aside from that your point remains.

What Stinger brought up is what I'd do on 3rd downs and when we're playing with a big lead (ie obvious passing situations).

I'm skeptical with Young because he was playing next to Suh and Fairly. And while he didn't have a great rookie year, if I'm an opposing coach, I'm far more worried about Ansah than Young. You've detailed the hurries and disruptions, but how the hell does he only get 3 sacks? I don't mean to rehash a previous debate, but he's not done enough for us to say that we're going to start him without competition. Houston has earned that. Young has not.

And I love the idea of moving Houston inside on 3rd and long.

My cousin said the Bears are in his top 3. Wouldn't say anything else to me. I'm hoping Emery can swing it. His veteran leadership on the line would be amazing! !

That's awesome! I hope you're cousin is right. Aside from your cousin, there's really not been any indication the Bears are interested in Jared Allen. It's always been assumed, because our d-line is so awful, but that's it.

Any idea who the 3rd team is? We know Seattle. Dallas was rumored, but they are in cap hell and signed Henry Melton.

That's awesome! I hope you're cousin is right. Aside from your cousin, there's really not been any indication the Bears are interested in Jared Allen. It's always been assumed, because ful, but that's it.

Any idea who the 3rd team is? We know Seattle. Dallas was rumored, but they are in cap hell and signed Henry Melton.

If we do sign someone like Jared Allen, I wouldn't be opposed, but we would be tapping into the Cutler money. Plus Allen has mentioned that if he don't get what he wants, he will retire. Too me that's not good locker room leadership. I really think we are done in FA except for filling depth. We need a swing OT, TE, and even a better backup QB IMO. We still have 30 some contracts to sign and only have enough money to sign our draft class and a little after that. I think we are going to wait until after the draft for any significant moves.

I'm skeptical with Young because he was playing next to Suh and Fairly. And while he didn't have a great rookie year, if I'm an opposing coach, I'm far more worried about Ansah than Young. You've detailed the hurries and disruptions, but how the hell does he only get 3 sacks? I don't mean to rehash a previous debate, but he's not done enough for us to say that we're going to start him without competition. Houston has earned that. Young has not.

And I love the idea of moving Houston inside on 3rd and long.

Ya, the whole Suh Fairly thing is a factor, but again, this guy wasn't being going up against TEs and RBs, teams still have to put a OT on him. So no he wasn't being double teamed because of the presence of those 2 monsters in the middle, but chances are he won't be double teamed in Chicago either.

I've probably said it before but I really think the lack of sacks had to do with their awful secondary. There's a reason why those guys are gonna be most likely drafting a CB in the first. I've also read that they'll try to grab a nickel QB as well....Can't sack the QB if WRs are getting open early and often.

You have to be at least a little impressed that he had the 3rd most pressures of ANY 4-3 DE last year....Just a couple behind Greg Hardy who happened to play more snaps.

I'm callin it now, he'll have at least 7 sacks.

If we do sign someone like Jared Allen, I wouldn't be opposed, but we would be tapping into the Cutler money. Plus Allen has mentioned that if he don't get what he wants, he will retire. Too me that's not good locker room leadership. I really think we are done in FA except for filling depth. We need a swing OT, TE, and even a better backup QB IMO. We still have 30 some contracts to sign and only have enough money to sign our draft class and a little after that. I think we are going to wait until after the draft for any significant moves.

We wouldn't necessarily be dipping into Cutlers contract if he gets a deal like Peppers where his cap hit is only 3.5mill in year 1. Bears have the money to do that and they have plenty of future money to backload if need be.

We wouldn't necessarily be dipping into Cutlers contract if he getsa deal like Peppers where his cap hit is only 3.5mill in year 1. Bears have the money to do that and they have plenty of future money to backload if need be.

How much do you think we still have? Last I seen was about 6.6 million. Our draft is projected to cost 5.5. We have 66 players signed, after the draft and un-signed FAs, we be around 80 which is where you want to be for training camp. We need to re-sign Britton next IMO. I don't want a low end draft pick to fill his role. He played a ton of snaps.

Without back loading any current contracts, we don't have much money to add a 3-4 cap hit. We also need to hold onto 2-3million for injury settlements and replacement costs. If we hold tight with what we have, we will be big players next offseason If need to be. The key is not to reach big in the market and groom your own.

He would bring 8 to 10 sacks, and would love him to be here. Move Houston inside on passing downs, and we might just rock.

How much do you think we still have? Last I seen was about 6.6 million. Our draft is projected to cost 5.5. We have 66 players signed, after the draft and un-signed FAs, we be around 80 which is where you want to be for training camp. We need to re-sign Britton next IMO. I don't want a low end draft pick to fill his role. He played a ton of snaps.

Without back loading any current contracts, we don't have much money to add a 3-4 cap hit. We also need to hold onto 2-3million for injury settlements and replacement costs. If we hold tight with what we have, we will be big players next offseason If need to be. The key is not to reach big in the market and groom your own.

Ya, 6.6 is what I'm seeing on overthecap....That 5.5 number is the total money or whatever, the cap hit needed for the draft is around 2.

I do agree with you though, I'd rather not backload his contract, I just pointed it out as a possibility. I'm content with just adding a DE in the 3rd or 4th round and just go at it with the guys we have.

Next year as you said we should be big time players. If Young isn't the starter I expect him to be then they might have a chance at Hardy or Avril next year.