2014 NFL Draft Open Thread

adam

Two years ago nobody was complaining about Conte, maybe he has a revival. If we cant find one in draft there will be cuts with all the teams that drafted Ss maybe we luck out there.

The Bears had an awesome line that year and awesome Linebackers before Urlacher got hurt. The defense in general was setting records with TDs and such. The offense was so bad that all the complaints went there. Last year, he was exposed for the player he really is.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bears had an awesome line that year and awesome Linebackers before Urlacher got hurt. The defense in general was setting records with TDs and such. The offense was so bad that all the complaints went there. Last year, he was exposed for the player he really is.

Conte was a good safety two years ago and as good as our D was 2 years ago, our D was far worse last year and no safety would have excelled in that D.

I think at some point Tillman comes / moves to safety or plays in a reduced role. I think he has a spot in Chicago as long as he wants it. I love Tillman but in this league, you need multiple good corners.

I don't see him moving. He can go to another team and start at CB. There's no reason for him to want to take the extra abuse of safety when he is still a ProBowl caliber CB at an older age.

Conte was a good safety two years ago and as good as our D was 2 years ago, our D was far worse last year and no safety would have excelled in that D.

They may not have excelled, but they wouldn't have been exposed as much either. When he had help he did come up with some big plays, but when he was the last line in the defense he found a way to mess it up.

Disagree. Conte was bad to average, but the front seven made up for his deficiencies. Basically he's a guy who needs all the support to succeed.

He's like a RB who needs a probowl offensive line. Sure, he will hit the hole, but he's not going to dominate individually.

Let's embrace the pick, Fuller is probably the best corner in this draft. I wanted our needs, but we have a good to great CB. Tomorrow we have two more rounds, lets hope we get another good to great player. This D needs youth at all positions and after DE, a shutdown CB is the next most valuable asset.

Let's embrace the pick, Fuller is probably the best corner in this draft. I wanted our needs, but we have a good to great CB. Tomorrow we have two more rounds, lets hope we get another good to great player. This D needs youth at all positions and after DE, a shutdown CB is the next most valuable asset.

Now that I have settled down a little perhaps Phil does envision Fuller as the FS he covets and will draft another CB like Desir in round 3. I just discovered that Kyles older brothers, Vincent was a S for the Titans and Coery Fuller (WR) was drafted in the 6th round by the Lions last year.

Perhaps Phill felt he was taking the highest rated CB on his board whith his floor being a legit cover NFL cover corner and his ceiling being a better FS than either either Pryor or Ha HA. This is a very solid and unexciting pick but only becasue most of us viewed Free Saftey and DT as the biggest need.

Compared to the last two years this was a much more conservative pick for Phil and the drafting of a CB in round probably has cought most of us guard as we anticipated DT or FS. Here to hoping we can get some more defensive play makers on day 2! I want a FS/DT/CB

Brooks is the only safety left I could see starting for this team next year. Maybe Craig Losten ?

Don't sleep on his teammate either, lil Lamarcus Joyner can ball too. Guys like Mcgill and Baptiste are somewhat intriguing as well. Phil did talk about looking at CBs to convert to S so he may have one of those guys in mind....As stinger said, Exum fits this bill as well, and Ed Reynolds is no slouch either. Also gotta throw out my sleeper in Brock Vereen.

Right now I'm hoping we come away with (in this order) Hageman/Tuitt/Jernigan/Joyner/Brooks/Nix in the 2nd...If they grab a DT then I'd hope for Joyner/Brooks/McGill/SJB/Reynolds/Vereen/Exum in the 3rd...If they grab safety in the 2nd I'd hope for Jernigan/ Jones/Ego/Reid/Quarles.

There's still a lot of intrigue to this.

It's also possible Fuller is thought as as a FS...Here's a quote someone posted on soxtalk from a scout...

“I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being a safety,” a second scout said. “He’s just a really good football player from the standpoint he knows what he’s seeing. There were a couple games he played the Will linebacker spot against the option teams. He’s just a smart football player, and he’s got the talent, too. I’m not going to say he can’t play corner in the NFL, but I think he has the potential to be a Pro Bowl-caliber safety, whereas he doesn’t have the elite speed outside, that might hurt him at times out there (at cornerback).

Who knows, maybe that scout was from the Bears....Matter a fact, I hope it is, or Phil and this scout share the same thought on him as a pro bowl safety.

It's also possible Fuller is thought as as a FS...Here's a quote someone posted on soxtalk from a scout...

"I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a safety," a second scout said. "He's just a really good football player from the standpoint he knows what he's seeing. There were a couple games he played the Will linebacker spot against the option teams. He's just a smart football player, and he's got the talent, too. I'm not going to say he can't play corner in the NFL, but I think he has the potential to be a Pro Bowl-caliber safety, whereas he doesn't have the elite speed outside, that might hurt him at times out there (at cornerback).

Who knows, maybe that scout was from the Bears....

I'm okay if Emry and company are strongly certain that Fuller with better project as a pro bowl caliber FS. Hopefully they are right and Fuller is a steal at 14.

I watched youtube highlights on TUIT and as someone that does not watch much College Football he seemed to be a dominating pash rush force. Does TUIT project as a DT or as a DE as I have seen him listed at both positions on various sites?

For what its worth Warren Sapp really like Timmy Jernigan.

I'm okay if Emry and company are strongly certain that Fuller with better project as a pro bowl caliber FS. Hopefully they are right and Fuller is a steal at 14.

I watched youtube highlights on TUIT and as someone that does not watch much College Football he seemed to be a dominating pash rush force. Does TUIT project as a DT or as a DE as I have seen him listed at both positions on various sites?

For what its worth Warren Sapp really like Timmy Jernigan.

I think Tuitt can play either position but projects better inside just because I'm not sure he has the speed around the edge.

Ya, Sapp loves Jernigan as a 4-3 NT, not sure how much of a pass rush he'll generate but with the horses outside it might not be a bad idea to add someone like Jernigan who should be really good against the run.

Hageman might be the best penetrating DT left, Jernigan is the best run stuffer, and I think Tuitt might be the best well rounded. Nix would be a little interesting as well, at his size he's probably best suited as a 3-4 NT but again with those horses outside having a guy who will demand double teams might not be the worst thing in the world either.

Don't sleep on his teammate either, lil Lamarcus Joyner can ball too. Guys like Mcgill and Baptiste are somewhat intriguing as well. Phil did talk about looking at CBs to convert to S so he may have one of those guys in mind....As stinger said, Exum fits this bill as well, and Ed Reynolds is no slouch either. Also gotta throw out my sleeper in Brock Vereen.

Right now I'm hoping we come away with (in this order) Hageman/Tuitt/Jernigan/Joyner/Brooks/Nix in the 2nd...If they grab a DT then I'd hope for Joyner/Brooks/McGill/SJB/Reynolds/Vereen/Exum in the 3rd...If they grab safety in the 2nd I'd hope for Jernigan/ Jones/Ego/Reid/Quarles.

There's still a lot of intrigue to this.

With one unexpected pick we all have flushed the draft down the drain. We had needs everywhere on D, so getting any good player helps this team. They will have him on the field, this NC stuff is only part of it. If he turns out to be an all pro type playmaking CB, we will all look back on this and see how stupid we are.

With one unexpected pick we all have flushed the draft down the drain. We had needs everywhere on D, so getting any good player helps this team. They will have him on the field, this NC stuff is only part of it. If he turns out to be an all pro type playmaking CB, we will all look back on this and see how stupid we are.

I wouldn't say it's flushed. It's just that the Safeties dropped off a cliff after the first three - or four depending on view. And that's still the #1 team need based on starter weakness.

DT value in rd2 should be nice, so Safety probably gets skipped again.

I wouldn't say it's flushed. It's just that the Safeties dropped off a cliff after the first three - or four depending on view. And that's still the #1 team need based on starter weakness.

DT value in rd2 should be nice, so Safety probably gets skipped again.

Look for S in the third, we still have Brooks,Huff, Reynolds, and Vereen left to choose from so all is not lost. Hey I wanted a safety to , but if Emery ended up taking an all pro CB, who will care 3 years from now.

Look for S in the third, we still have Brooks,Huff, Reynolds, and Vereen left to choose from so all is not lost. Hey I wanted a safety to , but if Emery ended up taking an all pro CB, who will care 3 years from now.

If this was Emery's guy, I get it and I hope he's the next Revis. I just think part if the draft is effectively predicting what others will do and managing your picks accordingly. You can get a nickel CB and future starter in the 2nd ir 3rd round of this draft. Not sure you'll be able to get a starting safety.

If this was Emery's guy, I get it and I hope he's the next Revis. I just think part if the draft is effectively predicting what others will do and managing your picks accordingly. You can get a nickel CB and future starter in the 2nd ir 3rd round of this draft. Not sure you'll be able to get a starting safety.

(not directed at any one in particular)

I'm not sure why so many are lost on this pick. There are four positions on every team that you pay a premium for. Safety is not one of them. Our safety play will be better this year due to everything in front of them. This has been discussed in depth. We got the best CB in the draft. With both of our safeties on the wrong side of 30, this is a great pick!

EXACTLY.

(not directed at any one in particular)

I'm not sure why so many are lost on this pick. There are four positions on every team that you pay a premium for. Safety is not one of them. Our safety play will be better this year due to everything in front of them. This has been discussed in depth. We got the best CB in the draft. With both of our safeties on the wrong side of 30, this is a great pick!

We're not lost. We're disillusioned for the reasoning above. The whole "he'll be better because of the surrounding cast"-logic can be applied to ANY position, so it doesn't fly. You put Troy Polamalu on the same side as an average DB, and then provide a decent pass rush, and that DB's job becomes easy. I want a guy who will excel without the requirement of a superb supporting cast, but I also want holes to be filled THIS YEAR with a first rounder. Fuller might be the former, but he is definitely not the latter. Unless Peanut agrees to move to FS, which he has fought already, Fuller will play about 50% of the snaps on defense (based upon the link I provided earlier regarding last year's #3 DB). With the problems on defense the Bears had last year at DT and FS, we should have used the first rounder on a guy who will be an immediately impact and play 100% of the defensive snaps.

Emery is not only drafting for this year but for years to come. He must really like this Fuller kid. I watched a couple of VT games and liked what I saw. I personally didn't think CB would be targeted in the first round because Emery said CB was very deep this year. Tillman has one year left, so Now CB is wrapped up for the nest 3 or 4 with Fuller and Jennings.

I did like HAHA and it really sucks that GB picked him. This is one pick I will be watching for years to come, if Fuller doesn't pan out better than HAHA I will be pissed.

With how big of a passing league the NFL is now you can never have too many CB.....That's me rationalizing this pick. hahaha....Not HAHA.....

We're disillusioned

Crybaby.

Hey, maybe this kid moves to safety this year, Nut finishes his career at Corner like he wants to and then Fuller moves to the Nut position at CB in 2015/16? I don't know. All I know is you were talking about how happy you were with Emery yesterday morning (it was your best post in a long while) and then after the pick you reverted to Terra-level sissy bitch whiner.

This D sucked donkey balls last year, across the board. I hate Conte too! But is there a chance that Emery looked at the landscape and thought Fuller was a better option not only for this year but for years to come and made this pick despite the expert advise from this board? No.... No way.

Dude can play. Nut's done soon regardless and may be an injury concern for THIS year. If this was Emery's only move this off season I'd probably be scratching my head too but it isn't.

Suck it up Sally.

Crybaby.

Hey, maybe this kid moves to safety this year, Nut finishes his career at Corner like he wants to and then Fuller moves to the Nut position at CB in 2015/16? I don't know. All I know is you were talking about how happy you were with Emery yesterday morning (it was your best post in a long while) and then after the pick you reverted to Terra-level sissy bitch whiner.

This D sucked donkey balls last year, across the board. I hate Conte too! But is there a chance that Emery looked at the landscape and thought Fuller was a better option not only for this year but for years to come and made this pick despite the expert advise from this board? No.... No way.

Dude can play. Nut's done soon regardless and may be an injury concern for THIS year. If this was Emery's only move this off season I'd probably be scratching my head too but it isn't.

Suck it up Sally.

As usual, blow me.

Fuller could be great. I hope he is. But the simple fact is, S and DT were greater needs. And the S class was thin. The reason I was happy yesterday - still happier than during a JA draft - is because Emery's past showed that he liked to attack positions of need. So, when he had a chance to do that, and didn't, it's upsetting. If he feels Fuller plays FS this year and then moves back to DB, doubt it, then so be it. But right now it looks like he drafted a 2014 nickel corner with a first round pick when full time starting, stud FS's were on the board.