Ryan pace new gm

Chitownhustla

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like he had worked his way up the ranks including director of pro personnel the past couple seasons for the Saints. It sounds to me like he has the chops to be a good GM and the background in a winning organization. He is young at 37 to be a GM but that could be a positive by bringing fresh energy and perspective to the Bears. I totally thought it'd be Ballard and honestly don't know much about Pace, so I'm mentally redirecting my thoughts to learn who this guy is. I'm willing to give him a fair shake. Other than their struggles this season the Saints have been in the hunt and have really turned things around. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and I'm glad we did indeed hire GM first and he will have the say in the HC hire. Didn't want to see us make the same mistake again saddling a GM with a coach he did not pick.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 10s10 seconds ago

Rival exec on Bears' hire of GM Ryan Pace: "Excellent. Coaches love him. Good pro guy. Hard worker. Very conscientious."

Larry Holder ‏@LarryHolder 5m5 minutes ago

Loomis on Pace at '14 Senior Bowl: "I kind of feel like he's been our secret for a while, but look, he's a great, young personnel director"

I'm happy that...

1.) He comes from outside Halas Hall and isn't beholden to anyone there.

2.) He was hired BEFORE the HC was. He should absolutely be vested in picking the HC.

I'm concerned...

1.) He's really young. GM is a lot about connections. Not sure he's been around at a high enough level to have those yet although he's been at the top of the Saint personnel for 2 seasons, I think.

2.) The Saints regressed this year.

So...

Time to get to work. Hire a HC and staff. Decide on Cutler/Marshall etc. Prepare for the draft and FA.

Lot's to do!

If you want to find a scary comment, look at this one:

Greg Gabriel: "Chris Ballard knew where the problems were in the organization, and what he told the Bears on how to fix it, the Bears didn't like"...

Whether or not this source knows really what is going on is only guesswork. But IMHO a person who is considered an "insider" is more what the Bears needed, ala Ballard. The fact that he could identify what was wrong within the organization should be telling. He might have been more adept at identifying and rectifying those issues than say a Pace.

Being more a traditionalist myself and hiring someone who is younger ergo "progressive" is pure mumbo jumbo. He still needs to prove himself and I'm not sure the Bears is where he should have done it.

But as before I'll give him a fair shake. What else am I gonna do?

Whether or not this source knows really what is going on is only guesswork. But IMHO a person who is considered an "insider" is more what the Bears needed, ala Ballard. The fact that he could identify what was wrong within the organization should be telling. He might have been more adept at identifying and rectifying those issues than say a Pace.

Being more a traditionalist myself and hiring someone who is younger ergo "progressive" is pure mumbo jumbo. He still needs to prove himself and I'm not sure the Bears is where he should have done it.

But as before I'll give him a fair shake. What else am I gonna do?

Completely agree with you and I think the fact that he was more adapt at pointing it out (because of his past involvement might be why he wasn't hired...which is really disappointing).

Bernstein has said it was more that Ballard spent too much time on organization and not enough on roster where Pace knocked it out and spent his time on roster. My problem is, no GM in the world can do it on their own. We need as many bright football people in the building as possible. Just hearing some of this stuff makes me cringe because in theory, Ballard has seen how it is done in halas and how it is done elsewhere and essentially knows what is broke in Chicago and could legitimately offer ways of fixing it. Not knocking Pace, just disappointing if it was the fact that Ballard was more negative and more pointed about what needed to change internally (in addition to roster...but maybe not as focused on roster).

Part of me says the roster is largely a work in process anyway which starts with the draft, so how much time should you really spend on it other than maybe giving your opinion of systems that you like, your general view of the players, etc, and clearly an opinion of what went wrong on the field last year. I dont' want someone coming in and making an imaginary roster or something. That is a bunch of fluff anyway.

I just picture Pace going...see I trade Cutler for Rodgers and than do this and that and bam...superbowl contender. Not really but kind of like that and McCaskey and Phillips going, oh we can get Rodgers...oh yeah that would be great.

All that said, hopefully Pace has full control and can bring in new football people. I imagine that we'll see a lot of changes in the scouting departments, etc. A lot of legacy people on board. Doesn't mean they are all bad but Pace is going to have to bring in his people.

Gabrielle was really disappointed his buddy didn't get the job, and speculating in his favor. Atleast that was my take. I am sure others that went to bat, because they are friends with Ballard, will do similar in days to come.

Edit: I just wanted to add, Gabrielle did call Ballard like his son he never had. He's kind of biased and painting a picture in Ballard's favor.

Gabrielle was really disappointed his buddy didn't get the job,

I was just thinking that the Bears organization may have thought everything Ballard said had merit and they're going to do those things but that they felt Pace was a better fit to bringing in the talent for that new structure. Nobody will be able to confirm this but it's just a thought.

As usual, I find myself wanting to be positive about the changes. But only time will tell if they got it right this time. If they did, they've got a guy who'll be around a LONG time.

With all the media talk and speculation that Ballard was almost a sure thing I find myself feeling a little letdown learning the Bears have hired Pace even though I have no clue who is the best candidate for GM.

Did anyone else mentally prepare for Ballard to be announced as GM and been caught off guard and a little taken back by learning it will be Pace?

Something doesn't sit well with me on this guy. Smells too reminiscent of Emery. Guess we'll see.

Maybe he'll keep DLP and Bushrod which will help in keeping OL intact.

He is nothing like Emery, he has came up through a successful franchise , not an egghead. Emery was a Bears chain guy, Ballard come from the same chain. Angelo.

I don't know how to quote things on my tablet, but Bernstein tweeted that Pace was given full control of football operations. So it would appear that Ted is indeed taking a step back into only the financial part of things. Plus the whole Ballard didn't wanna be here because he wouldn't get total control is kinda out the window too.

I don't know how to quote things on my tablet, but Bernstein tweeted that Pace was given full control of football operations. So it would appear that Ted is indeed taking a step back into only the financial part of things. Plus the whole Ballard didn't wanna be here because he wouldn't get total control is kinda out the window too.

There are some believe that Ballard over-stepped his grounds and asked for too much control and that is why we went with Pace though.

IMO those who claim to have "inside knowledge" about what was said, not said, done or not done in the interview process should be taken with a grain of salt and shouldn't be the basis to love or hate this hire. I put more stock in opinions formed based on his track record, resume, and information that is knowable. We weren't in the interview, and neither were some of these "sources"

Reality is every hire of a GM/HC, etc. anywhere is going to come with people claiming to be in the know either flinging mud or picking the roses. Some are motivated by friendship, bitterness, or whatever. There will always be speculation, and people looking for dirt, or looking for reasons to like a hire. Personally what matters most is if he can do the job and do it well and get this team headed in the right direction. And that we won't know right away. I'm not going to dismiss the guy just cause I don't know much about him, or because he wasn't who I thought was going to be hired. Which I think is where some of the negativity comes from feeling we were thrown a curve when all the "speculation" seemed to point to Ballard. I'm willing to give the guy a fair shake. Now if 2-3 years down the line I see no improvement or the Bears sink deeper into the abyss then he will have earned our distrust.

IMO those who claim to have "inside knowledge" about what was said, not said, done or not done in the interview process should be taken with a grain of salt and shouldn't be the basis to love or hate this hire. I put more stock in opinions formed based on his track record, resume, and information that is knowable. We weren't in the interview, and neither were some of these "sources"

Reality is every hire of a GM/HC, etc. anywhere is going to come with people claiming to be in the know either flinging mud or picking the roses. Some are motivated by friendship, bitterness, or whatever. There will always be speculation, and people looking for dirt, or looking for reasons to like a hire. Personally what matters most is if he can do the job and do it well and get this team headed in the right direction. And that we won't know right away. I'm not going to dismiss the guy just cause I don't know much about him, or because he wasn't who I thought was going to be hired. Which I think is where some of the negativity comes from feeling we were thrown a curve when all the "speculation" seemed to point to Ballard. I'm willing to give the guy a fair shake. Now if 2-3 years down the line I see no improvement or the Bears sink deeper into the abyss then he will have earned our distrust.

Agree with everything you said and at the end of the day, I like the fact that Bears ownership realized they needed to make change when they did, they acted swiftly and they brought in a guy from a winning organization. Hopefully Pace can add to his superbowl ring collection!

I put Greg Gabriel in the Hub Arkush category. They both were terminated by this franchise but follow everything that happens and are on speed dial with all media outlets paper and electronic to chime in their slanted opinions.

I have never gotten the feeling that Gabriel goes out of his way to be negative about the Bears. Hub certainly does but I don't get the same feel out of Gabriel. What was Hub's background? Did he ever work for the Bears?