Bears rumors

Stinger226

I would be slightly disappointed, but probably for a different reason. I think it was time to move on from Forte, but really think they should give the gig to Langford/Carey.

I will point out that Anderson just turned 25 whereas Forte turns 31 this year. Anderson the last 2 years has averaged 4.7 ypc, Forte hasn't reached that number in 5 years.

I think they should stick with the guys they drafted, but IMO, at this point in their careers, and where the Bears are right now, Anderson makes more sense than Forte.

In another post I agreed with Bradjock that the Bears could still look to draft an RB. Probably not in the early rounds (although I wouldn't totally hate it). But I'm not sure that going after an RFA on the offensive side is a good idea. If they do that it should be for another key piece to the defense.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be slightly disappointed, but probably for a different reason. I think it was time to move on from Forte, but really think they should give the gig to Langford/Carey.

I will point out that Anderson just turned 25 whereas Forte turns 31 this year. Anderson the last 2 years has averaged 4.7 ypc, Forte hasn't reached that number in 5 years.

I think they should stick with the guys they drafted, but IMO, at this point in their careers, and where the Bears are right now, Anderson makes more sense than Forte.

What sucks is that according to Brad Biggs, Forte signed a two year deal and the reason we haven't heard how much $$$ was because it wasn't good.

According to the NFLPA, the Bears still have 31.4M in cap space......According to Over the Cap, the Bears rookie pool will cost 7.3M.

So the Bears still have 24.1M in cap space to use on free agents.

IMO, they absolutely need a starting safety and defensive lineman. A strong case could be made for another starting ILB, defensive lineman, and offensive lineman depending on how they view Timu, Ego, and Leno(an opposing argument could be made for those 3 IMO). Hopefully tight end doesn't come into the discussion as well.

That's 5-6 potential starting needs. If they can come away with 2 more, preferably DL and Safety, I would be really happy going into the draft.

It's 3/12.

Pretty cheap, was still time to move on IMO though.

If 3.5 per year, the Bears were stupid to make the move. The Bears should have at least tried to negotiate to see if Forte would provide a hometown discount.

If 3.5 per year, the Bears were stupid to make the move. The Bears should have at least tried to negotiate to see if Forte would provide a hometown discount.

Bears obviously wanna get younger no matter what. He could have said he'd play for the vet minimum and they probably would have passed.

Chris Emma ‏@CEmma670 7m7 minutes ago

I'm told the Bears have not engaged in contact with free-agent safety Eric Weddle. Three-time Pro Bowl player, but 30 years old.

I have a good relationship with someone close to Weddle. Weddle wants to stay on the west and is interested in Raiders. Overall though, wants to play for contender and Cowboys were also on the radar. No mention of the Bears. Not to say something couldn't come up down the road.

TE Jermaine Gresham in for a visit. Dealt with all sorts of injuries last year, and shared time with Eifert in Cincy before that. Wouldn't be a bad move if healthy, probably would be cheap.

Kevin Fishbain@kfishbain 24m24 minutes ago

Bears will host TE Jermaine Gresham for a visit per @AdamSchefter. Looked into Gresham last July, per Tribune. Went 18-223-1 in AZ in 2015.

You just beat me to this. I think he would be good depth.

The main reason for all of this is they think Langsford will be real good and want to give him the ball more. He has something Forte doesnt have anymore speed. If Matt would stay then it would fall in the same pattern as last year.

I have a good relationship with someone close to Weddle. Weddle wants to stay on the west and is interested in Raiders. Overall though, wants to play for contender and Cowboys were also on the radar. No mention of the Bears. Not to say something couldn't come up down the road.

I think at this stage were done giving good contracts, no way he would play here for 1.5 or 2.0 on a one or two year deal.

The main reason for all of this is they think Langsford will be real good and want to give him the ball more. He has something Forte doesnt have anymore speed. If Matt would stay then it would fall in the same pattern as last year.

And yet Forte had a YPA half a yard better than Langford. Forte had roughy 1/3 more carries than Langford, had the better YPA, AND had a longer run on the year.

Speed isn't anything. They should have at least negotiated with Forte to see if a hometown discount was possible.

And yet Forte had a YPA half a yard better than Langford. Forte had roughy 1/3 more carries than Langford, had the better YPA, AND had a longer run on the year.

Speed isn't anything. They should have at least negotiated with Forte to see if a hometown discount was possible.

I would agree that this coming year Forte would have performed better, but the last two years of his contract could have been a money pit. When backs fall off, it is like walking the plank. He wouldnt have been good by the time we get good. I would say we are two years away from competing for a playoff spot. He wont be productive in two years, so why make the investment in an old back.

I am going to have to do some analysis on performance of 30+ yr old RB's 1st year on new teams to see how they performed. I would think there would be a drop in performance related to the team/scheme switch in addition to the age, and gradual shift away from the run game.

Along with Gresham and Hicks, ILB Jerrell Freeman also in for a visit today. Was a very productive player last year at age 30 and would really shore up our LB corps in the short term.

That would be huge! I liked Trev more because of his age, but Freeman was actually the better player last year.

I've said many times that I don't really like the depth at ILB in the draft(because I don't like my ILBs to be bad in coverage), so I would love to double up in FA.