Bears to sign WR Marcus Wheaton

bradjock

Yeah, fits a BIG need......still in shock that Alshon left for a 1 year deal worth 14,000,000

I remember after the Bears got rid of B Marshall Alshon was upset. I thought he got over it but obviously not. It is obvious he did not want to play in Chicago. The fact that no other team would offer him a big $$$ multi year contract says there are concerns shared by other GMs.

I am a bit disappointed but I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes we are unaware of.

I like this. I remember drafting Wheaten in a league last year because he was supposed to have a "Huge year." Then injuries happened and the Steelers had quite a few solid WRs on their team and he simply got lost in the shuffle.

The WR corps is gonna live and die by Kevin White being what he is supposed to be. If he is, I think you could live with what they have now if they add a TE not named Dion Sims.

Here's some nice nuggets on Wheaton....

Wheaton's gross numbers aren't wholly representative of what he brings to the table. Sure, his 749 yards last season ranked just 48th in the NFL, but his 17.0 yards per catch ranked 10th among players with at least 25 catches. He was fourth in the NFL in that category among players with at least 40 catches. Additionally, over 70 percent of Wheaton's receptions were good for first downs last season. That, too, is one of the highest percentages in the league. Finally, Wheaton dropped just two passes last season, making his 2.3 percent drop percentage the third-lowest on the Steelers among players with at least 50 targets (bonus points if you can guess No. 1).

I thought Wheaton was going to break out last year, but it didn't happen. Injuries got in the way. I don't think this is a bad signing, but he isn't a #1 and White certainly isn't. We have decimated our receiving weapons the past couple of years (losing Bennett / Marshall / Jeffrey is losing three extremely dynamic playmakers). I could support the rationale behind some of the moves, but we haven't exactly replaced them with playmakers and that is concerning.

I thought Wheaton was going to break out last year, but it didn't happen. Injuries got in the way. I don't think this is a bad signing, but he isn't a #1 and White certainly isn't. We have decimated our receiving weapons the past couple of years (losing Bennett / Marshall / Jeffrey is losing three extremely dynamic playmakers). I could support the rationale behind some of the moves, but we haven't exactly replaced them with playmakers and that is concerning.

What does it tell you about Marshall and Bennett that they have already changed teams? What does it tell you about Alshon that signed for 1 year?

Peace :dabears

What does it tell you about Marshall and Bennett that they have already changed teams? What does it tell you about Alshon that signed for 1 year?

Alshon turned down a multi-year deal from the Vikings. I believe others had offered him multi-year deals as well. I think it told me two things, he wanted out of Chicago, and two, that he believes he can have a big season and make more next year. Bennett played a big part in the Patriots superbowl run and I had read where he had offers from a half dozen teams.

I never complained when we dumped Marshall and I understand moving Bennett, but there is no denying that BEnnett, Marshall, and Jeffrey were playmakers when they were on the field (at their respective position) and we have done nothing to replace any of those three guys with players even close to as good as any of them at their respective position.

Did Bennett change teams? I know the Pats wanted him but he wanted to get paid.

Marshall is a turd.

As for Alshon, the one year deal is just weird. It seemed a no brainer that at the minimum, he'd get 5 years at 12 with 30 guaranteed. I kind of felt that's what the Bears were offering. So he signed a one year deal for 14 hoping he'll get 5 at 15 with 40? And he signed it immediately. I hope he's getting good advice. Most agents say, take the money and run. That's one helluva a gamble.

You can't say that with certainty yet.

I am as disappointed as anyone on how day 1 of free agency went but regarding Alson leaving I am not. Would you want to play him on the franchise tag or sign him as a number 1 receiver when he can't stay healthy, last year in his contract year didn't train in Chicago during the offseason when his presence with receivers like Kev White and Cameron Meredith would have been crucial in their development and how many times did he line up offside and cause a pre-snap penalty. I also have doubts about his ability to stay healthy which probably attributed to him taking PED's last year

No other team offered him a multi-year contract that the Bears would have needed to offer to keep him so I'm sorry but let him walk.

If he has a great season next year such as making the pro bowl and being a top 10 receiver then he will be a free agent and we can enter the bidding war.

If he has a season similar to last year then we made the right decision.

THINK BACK TO LAST SEASON WHEN EVERYONE WAS STATING WE SHOULD HAVE KEPT FORTE. WELL WITH HOWARDS PLAY WAS HE MISSED!!!!

I recall him as a serious deep threat in games I've watched. I'm not sure about his other routes though?

Yeah, averaged 17.0 per catch in 2015. Definitely can stretch the field and something we have needed for awhile now. I would still like to see someone like Pryor or maybe Kendall Wright brought in.

I am as disappointed as anyone on how day 1 of free agency went but regarding Alson leaving I am not. Would you want to play him on the franchise tag or sign him as a number 1 receiver when he can't stay healthy, last year in his contract year didn't train in Chicago during the offseason when his presence with receivers like Kev White and Cameron Meredith would have been crucial in their development and how many times did he line up offside and cause a pre-snap penalty. I also have doubts about his ability to stay healthy which probably attributed to him taking PED's last year

No other team offered him a multi-year contract that the Bears would have needed to offer to keep him so I'm sorry but let him walk.

If he has a great season next year such as making the pro bowl and being a top 10 receiver then he will be a free agent and we can enter the bidding war.

If he has a season similar to last year then we made the right decision.

THINK BACK TO LAST SEASON WHEN EVERYONE WAS STATING WE SHOULD HAVE KEPT FORTE. WELL WITH HOWARDS PLAY WAS HE MISSED!!!!

You are correct, in relative terms, not much has changed, except we were 3-13 last year, one of the worst seasons in franchise history. We needed an infusion of talent, and we got very little. The worse part is this free agent class is weak to begin with, and now we are left hoping for someone like Pryor or Patterson, Beachum, McDonald or Amukamara. After that, the cupboard is pretty bare.

Some highlights for ya.

As far as bringing in Prior, I think that depends on what the org thinks of Meredith. Is he simply a guy who produced because he was the only guy out there or were his near 900 yards legit? If they think he is legit, I'm not sure they push him back to #4 behind Pryor, White, and Wheaton(if they view Wheaton as the guy he was before injury).

Some highlights for ya.

As far as bringing in Prior, I think that depends on what the org thinks of Meredith. Is he simply a guy who produced because he was the only guy out there or were his near 900 yards legit? If they think he is legit, I'm not sure they push him back to #4 behind Pryor, White, and Wheaton(if they view Wheaton as the guy he was before injury).

The whole key to this season as far as WRs, White is the savior or the goat, period.

The whole key to this season as far as WRs, White is the savior or the goat, period.

He's gotta be good for sure. I happen to be a big fan of Meredith's and think his arrow is still pointing up. Remember, this guy was a college QB just 2 years ago, and he just broke out for nearly 900 yards. I don't think he will ever be a true #1 but I happen to think he could be a good #2.

I feel the same way about Wheaton. Right now I think we have 3 #2s. The question is is 3 #2s just as good as having a #1 and shit else.

That's twisted logic. You can't know what would have happened. Forte could have had a great year, similar to Howard, and there is absolutely no way to know who who have been drafted instead of Howard. Could have been Joe Haeg and we wouldn't need a tackle. Or Tyreek Hill, and the return game would be solved.

That's twisted logic. You can't know what would have happened. Forte could have had a great year, similar to Howard, and there is absolutely no way to know who who have been drafted instead of Howard. Could have been Joe Haeg and we wouldn't need a tackle. Or Tyreek Hill, and the return game would be solved.

Forte never had a rushing year that good.

He's gotta be good for sure. I happen to be a big fan of Meredith's and think his arrow is still pointing up. Remember, this guy was a college QB just 2 years ago, and he just broke out for nearly 900 yards. I don't think he will ever be a true #1 but I happen to think he could be a good #2.

I find it interesting that both Meredith and Pryor are having a successful renaissance after both being former college Qbs. Meredith is a lot like Pryor, call him Pryor lite.

I take back my earlier comment though that if we managed to get both we could worry less about backup QBs. Still definitely need to do art one.

Incorrect. He actually had a better year.

Not at the price they paid Howard last year. If they pick up a receiver in the 4th this year that has a good year then Alson will be forgotten as well. It would be nice to give our own players their 2nd contract but it needs to be right for the player and the team.

I want players who want to play for the Bears and I would like to know what the Bears offered Alson. It was probably $10 million per year and he wanted an Antonio Brown deal which no other team as well as the Bears wanted to pay. You have to have a number you want to pay and stick to it unless you have a stud and I'm sorry but other than when B Marsh was opposite him Alson never delivered No. 1 receiver numbers.