Walter Football Draft Grade

adam

Chicago Bears: F Grade

Goals Entering the 2017 NFL Draft: The Bears spent a ton of money on Mike Glennon, so why would they spend a first-round on a pedestrian quarterback prospect? Glennon is not the answer, but neither is Mitchell Trubisky or Deshaun Watson. Chicago has to add talent to its secondary, receiving corps and offensive tackle group.

2017 NFL Draft Accomplishments: This section is misleading because it says "2017 NFL Draft Accomplishments." The Bears didn't accomplish anything outside of setting their franchise back five years.

I can't believe how bad Chicago's draft was. Of the five picks the team made, three earned Millen grades. I can't say this for certain, but I'm almost confident that it's the highest percentage (60%) of Millen grades I've given to one team for any draft class. Thus, Chicago may have obtained the worst prospective NFL Draft class of all time.

The disaster began early when the Bears allowed the 49ers to con them into trading up to No. 2. They then made the mistake that numerous incompetent teams have made over the years, as they reached for a middling quarterback prospect over a superior talent. This has always backfired. Take a look at some examples from this decade alone:

- The Jaguars picked Blaine Gabbert over J.J. Watt

- The Titans picked Jake Locker over J.J. Watt and Tyron Smith

- The Vikings picked Christian Ponder over Robert Quinn

- The Dolphins picked Ryan Tannehill over Luke Kuechly

- The Bills picked E.J. Manuel over Tyler Eifert

- The Jaguars picked Blake Bortles over Khalil Mack

There are many more examples of this, so shame on the Bears for not learning from the mistakes that incompetent front offices have made over the years.

The rest of Chicago's picks were lackluster, save for the Eddie Jackson selection. What's worse is that the Bears failed to take care of their goals. They didn't pick up a tackle; they failed to find a receiver; and outside of Jackson, they didn't address the secondary, particularly the problematic cornerback position.

At any rate, I've said enough. This is the easiest "F" team grade I've ever given. I'm not even naming it a Millen. It's that bad.

------------------

I don't know what qualifies them more than anyone else but saying our draft is the worst one ever is pretty harsh and ridiculous.

Goals Entering the 2017 NFL Draft: The Bears spent a ton of money on Mike Glennon, so why would they spend a first-round on a pedestrian quarterback prospect? Glennon is not the answer, but neither is Mitchell Trubisky or Deshaun Watson. Chicago has to add talent to its secondary, receiving corps and offensive tackle group.

2017 NFL Draft Accomplishments: This section is misleading because it says "2017 NFL Draft Accomplishments." The Bears didn't accomplish anything outside of setting their franchise back five years.

I can't believe how bad Chicago's draft was. Of the five picks the team made, three earned Millen grades. I can't say this for certain, but I'm almost confident that it's the highest percentage (60%) of Millen grades I've given to one team for any draft class. Thus, Chicago may have obtained the worst prospective NFL Draft class of all time.

The disaster began early when the Bears allowed the 49ers to con them into trading up to No. 2. They then made the mistake that numerous incompetent teams have made over the years, as they reached for a middling quarterback prospect over a superior talent. This has always backfired. Take a look at some examples from this decade alone:

There are many more examples of this, so shame on the Bears for not learning from the mistakes that incompetent front offices have made over the years.

The rest of Chicago's picks were lackluster, save for the Eddie Jackson selection. What's worse is that the Bears failed to take care of their goals. They didn't pick up a tackle; they failed to find a receiver; and outside of Jackson, they didn't address the secondary, particularly the problematic cornerback position.

At any rate, I've said enough. This is the easiest "F" team grade I've ever given. I'm not even naming it a Millen. It's that bad.

------------------

I don't know what qualifies them more than anyone else but saying our draft is the worst one ever is pretty harsh and ridiculous.

One man's opinion. Who cares. What's done is done. Get over it and wait for Pace to be vilified or crucified. If and buts are nothing.

I assume many of the draft experts who are critical of the Bears' draft are the same draft gurus who many of us disagreed with and made fun of prior to the draft for their opinions which did not agree with ours?

I am not totally comfortable with the draft. Hell. I am 68 years old, been an avid fan forever and I do not think I have ever been totally happy with a draft. They never listen to me, LOL.

I assume many of the draft experts who are critical of the Bears' draft are the same draft gurus who many of us disagreed with and made fun of prior to the draft for their opinions which did not agree with ours?

I am not totally comfortable with the draft. Hell. I am 68 years old, been an avid fan forever and I do not think I have ever been totally happy with a draft. They never listen to me, LOL.

The drafts never go how we envision and that makes fans react the way the way they do. I think most felt good last year and the opposite this year. What Pace did with this draft is add pieces that will help a young QB with a TE, 3rd down back that can help extend series, and a G who will be starting next year. One thing I want my team to do is give everything possible to make that QB successful and he will still need a blindside protector which looks to be solid in the next draft class.

Rotoworld:

Chicago Bears

1 (2). North Carolina QB Mitchell Trubisky

2 (45). Ashland TE Adam Shaheen

4 (112). Alabama S Eddie Jackson

4 (119). North Carolina A&T RB Tarik Cohen

5 (147). Kutztown OG Jordan Morgan

Overview: The Bears’ extremely ill-advised, desperation-driven one-spot climb for Trubisky cost them pick Nos. 67, 111, and a 2018 third-rounder. At UNC, Trubisky spent two years backing up Marquise Williams, who couldn’t beat out “Joe Callahan” as a Packers camp arm last year. In round two, Chicago dropped from No. 36 to 45 to add Nos. 119, 197, and a 2018 fourth-rounder. They wasted No. 45 on D-2 Frankenstein lookalike Shaheen. Ballhawking safety Jackson was my favorite Bears pick, although Jackson enters the NFL with significant injury concerns, and moving up for him cost Chicago the No. 197 pick in exchange for just a five-spot climb. Fellow fourth-rounder Cohen is a fun guy to watch, but he has almost no chance to make an NFL offensive impact at 5-foot-7, 179. Remember Garrett Wolfe? 60% of the Bears’ draft came from sub-Division-1 schools. Ultimately, the class will pay off if Trubisky turns into a franchise quarterback. Yet there is absolutely no way 13 college starts provide enough evidence to suggest Trubisky is a good-probability bet. It’s more likely that this was the worst draft in the entire league.

Grade: F

I can see where everybody looks at this draft and bad mouths, it. I did too, but the more I look the more I understand his plan.

first of all, everybody says SF pants us, no one has that knowledge, but I think it will come out someday. If we are taking calls from teams to move up for a QB, does anybody thinks its logical to think SF didnt take calls. From my point of view, I would have wanted a stud D guy and then draft a prospect in the second. The second is worth more that the 3 and 4 we gave up. We got those most of the value of those picks back and drafted the best prospect in the draft, but more importantly it is who Pace wanted. As far as signing Glennon, we went out and got the best QB available in this years off season and I think they think we are going to start winning. The idea situation is to sit Trubisky for 2 years and then let him play at a higher level. Throwing rookies not ready into the fire right away usually wrecks them. He is doing it the right way. I give him kudos for doing this way. Also if Glennon plays well then we will get value back from his success and also put us in play to be successful for the next two years.

Another thing to consider is we are closer than we look last year, the injuries derailed us from winning 6 games, maybe a few more. We have players in place that will ascend that no one is looking at right now.

Bullard

Bush

D. Hall

White

Grasu

Floyd- another step forward

Robinson-Harris

Leno will be one year better.

Whitehair and Howard are already accepted and they are ascending.

We added Cooper, Demps,Cunningham, Wright, Wheaton, Jenkins, Prince A.,Banks, Sims, and Mike Glennon. All of these signings will make us better.

Our team is already much better than last year.

Tribusky is being developed , Shaheen will contribute but not start, Jackson will start if not right away in the early part of the season. Cohen will be a situational contribute in the same design as Tryeek Hill. Morgan will be Sittons future replacement.

The most important piece is drafting our future franchise QB but every draft pick could turn our to be gold.

Tribusky-- franchise QB has been compared to Matt Stanford

Shaheen- is almost exactly a clone of Gronk, but to not be dumb, will turn out to be a Jason Witten type. When Mitch is our QB, Shaheen will be his go to guy.

Jackson- Barring the two injuries, one in 2014 that he played well after and the other a broken leg early this year. With all the studs on Ala defense, he was the captain. If he doesnt start from day one, if will be early the first year.

Cohen-- He will be an immediate contributor, everybody says Sproles clone but he is Tryeek Hill.

If we stay fairly healthy, McPhee,Trevathan, Long, Goldman, and White, we are A BETTER TEAM.

I will say 8-8, but could be better.

Think about it, Howard makes us a power running team with a two TE set, a joy stick in the backfield or split out and a couple downtown threats in Wheaton and White.

This offense could be dynamic, plus another step forward on D and we are a much better team.

Rotoworld:

Chicago Bears

Overview: The Bears’ extremely ill-advised, desperation-driven one-spot climb for Trubisky cost them pick Nos. 67, 111, and a 2018 third-rounder. At UNC, Trubisky spent two years backing up Marquise Williams, who couldn’t beat out “Joe Callahan” as a Packers camp arm last year. In round two, Chicago dropped from No. 36 to 45 to add Nos. 119, 197, and a 2018 fourth-rounder. They wasted No. 45 on D-2 Frankenstein lookalike Shaheen. Ballhawking safety Jackson was my favorite Bears pick, although Jackson enters the NFL with significant injury concerns, and moving up for him cost Chicago the No. 197 pick in exchange for just a five-spot climb. Fellow fourth-rounder Cohen is a fun guy to watch, but he has almost no chance to make an NFL offensive impact at 5-foot-7, 179. Remember Garrett Wolfe? 60% of the Bears’ draft came from sub-Division-1 schools. Ultimately, the class will pay off if Trubisky turns into a franchise quarterback. Yet there is absolutely no way 13 college starts provide enough evidence to suggest Trubisky is a good-probability bet. It’s more likely that this was the worst draft in the entire league.

It's hard to be even a little optimistic when you keep seeing stuff like this. The one upside in the whole draft, Jackson, has injury issues but hopefully not enough to hamper his contributions. If there is any hope for this draft to be a success he'll need to contribute sooner than later.

It's hard to be even a little optimistic when you keep seeing stuff like this. The one upside in the whole draft, Jackson, has injury issues but hopefully not enough to hamper his contributions. If there is any hope for this draft to be a success he'll need to contribute sooner than later.

Let them bash it. There might be parts I don't like how they happened but stand behind it. We could draft a bunch of well known names that get praise and they could all bust. They come into the NFL on the same level, they are men with special qualities. What makes or breaks them is how they adjust.

I didn't like the fact we traded up last year to get Floyd, and I was wrong. This year I liked Trubisky a lot and wanted him to fall to us at #3. Then all the draft experts leading into draft said he's not worth it and after signing Glennon it seemed clear Pace agreed and we'd go elsewhere in Rd 1.

Many draft pundits last year waxed poetically about Goff and how he was worthy of the #1 overall pick. I didn't like him there because he goes into Rex Grossman mode when he's under pressure. This is the Rams grade last year:

------------

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/...m=.cc4fcc76db24

Los Angeles Rams

After taking QB Jared Goff first overall, the Rams didn’t pick again until Day 3. No matter. Quality will trump quantity if Goff becomes the franchise QB that the Rams hope he will be. They simply had to have a productive QB, with other pieces to a contending team already in place. And they did what they had to do, via their mega-trade with the Titans before the draft, to give themselves a chance to get one. Now all they can do is hope that it works out. Grade: A-

-----------------

On the flip side was the Carson Wentz story. He was a 2nd Rd grade then as the process wore on he moved into the 1st Rd. The Eagles, after spending a ton of money on QBs in the offseason, traded the farm to move up to #2 and take him. Their grade:

-----------------

Philadelphia Eagles

If Carson Wentz becomes a future star, this will be a memorably great draft for the Eagles. For now, they seem to have created a QB issue for themselves by re-signing Sam Bradford to a significant contract and trading up to draft Wentz in the same offseason. One or the other probably would have sufficed, along with the free agent addition of Chase Daniel. It will be interesting to see if there is an immediate role for third-round G Isaac Seumalo or fifth-round RB Wendell Smallwood. Grade: C-

-----------------

4 weeks into the season those grades, had they been issued again, were completely flipped. Keep in mind at the time they traded up the Eagles were content with either Goff or Wentz they just wanted one or the other.

IMO for the recent drafts prior to 2017 finding a QB has been paramount and teams were not criticized as heavily for taking them early, even if their grade didn't warrant it. This year that story changed. Look at Mayock's criticisms of Goff:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jared-goff?id=2555334

WEAKNESSES Hits a rough patch with accuracy from time to time. Sails throws over intended targets especially early in games. Has spots where he makes receivers work too hard on easy throws. Spent 99.8 percent of his pass snaps from pistol or shotgun this season. Will likely need to orient himself with NFL footwork from under center. Rhythm passer who benefited from the up­tempo and "quick game" of Cal's Bear Raid offense. Has to learn fine line between getting ball out and rushing throws. Able to escape pocket, but isn't a proven finisher when on the move. Fumbled the ball 24 times over the last three years losing 11. Sacked 81 times over three years. Internal clock and poise will need to be monitored closely. Several of his interceptions came when he failed to read zone defenders underneath drifting up to challenge the throw.

Wouldn't that scare you away from taking him #1 overall? Then there is Trubisky's weaknesses which are nearly identical:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/mit...isky?id=2558008

WEAKNESSES Almost 98 percent of his dropbacks came from shotgun. Will have to learn NFL footwork from under center which could take time. Benefits from offense loaded with RPOs (run-pass option) that pull linebackers forward and open easier throwing windows. Played in space-based passing attack that didn't often ask him to throw to tight windows in traffic. Arm slot will drop way down causing batted balls at line of scrimmage. Too willing to float balls rather than air-mailing them out of bounds when he's making a bail-out throw against pressure. Needs better drive accuracy between the hashes. Has a tendency to leave throws in hip pocket of moving targets. Inconsistent deep ball touch. Has touchdown opportunities he babies and invites defenders time to recover. Not always pocket aware. Hyper-focuses on shifting parts down the field and can be late to feel pressure collapsing the edges.

--------------------------------

Trubisky is a hell of a lot better on the move than Goff, both running and throwing while running. Most importantly to me is how much better he handles the pressure around the pocket. He has things he can improve upon there but much of this pocket presence is innate. You either have it or you don't and the rest, such as reading defenses, can be learned. Watch the first two minutes of the Stanford game.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/mitch-trub...-stanford-2016/

I get the fact Trubisky needs to sit and learn but it's that way with almost any QB these days, unless you felt Bridgewater's rookie season was a great one. If you think Dak Prescott was great last year go back and watch the tape. He has plenty of things to work on. I applaud Pace for having a plan in place to allow his rookie to not feel the pressure of being a starter on day 1. The Eagles did the same thing last year and things absolutely worked out great when the Vikings came calling and gave them a 1st Rd pick for Bradford. I don't expect that, and neither did the Eagles. It's pretty clear they were fine going into the season with Bradford as the starter. I'm fine with Glennon taking the reigns this year and letting him compete with Trubisky next year.

As near as I can tell, whichever way the winds blow that year is what the puppets will repeat. Goff failed last year, ( i.e. draft analysts were all wrong) so no way should you take an air raid QB early this year. Luck and Griffen had excellent rookie seasons (draft analysts were right). Put both in the Hall of Fame and it's ok to go after your QB early. Cleveland listened to the pundits and sat back and lost their QB.

Pace might fail with Trubisky but he won't fail for lack of a plan. If he succeeds with Trubisky in the next couple years expect to hear analysts talking about how this is the ideal setup for teams drafting QBs early. Fail or succeed we'll define what the pundits are saying in two years. We should consider KC as using the same strategy (bridge QB in place, spend big to get your future QB). Walter Football gave them a C+ for selling the farm to take the far riskier (IMO) Mahomes. But you know what, he can throw the football over 70 yards.

I didn't like the fact we traded up last year to get Floyd, and I was wrong. This year I liked Trubisky a lot and wanted him to fall to us at #3. Then all the draft experts leading into draft said he's not worth it and after signing Glennon it seemed clear Pace agreed and we'd go elsewhere in Rd 1.

Many draft pundits last year waxed poetically about Goff and how he was worthy of the #1 overall pick. I didn't like him there because he goes into Rex Grossman mode when he's under pressure. This is the Rams grade last year:

------------

Los Angeles Rams

After taking QB Jared Goff first overall, the Rams didn’t pick again until Day 3. No matter. Quality will trump quantity if Goff becomes the franchise QB that the Rams hope he will be. They simply had to have a productive QB, with other pieces to a contending team already in place. And they did what they had to do, via their mega-trade with the Titans before the draft, to give themselves a chance to get one. Now all they can do is hope that it works out. Grade: A-

-----------------

On the flip side was the Carson Wentz story. He was a 2nd Rd grade then as the process wore on he moved into the 1st Rd. The Eagles, after spending a ton of money on QBs in the offseason, traded the farm to move up to #2 and take him. Their grade:

-----------------

Philadelphia Eagles

If Carson Wentz becomes a future star, this will be a memorably great draft for the Eagles. For now, they seem to have created a QB issue for themselves by re-signing Sam Bradford to a significant contract and trading up to draft Wentz in the same offseason. One or the other probably would have sufficed, along with the free agent addition of Chase Daniel. It will be interesting to see if there is an immediate role for third-round G Isaac Seumalo or fifth-round RB Wendell Smallwood. Grade: C-

-----------------

4 weeks into the season those grades, had they been issued again, were completely flipped. Keep in mind at the time they traded up the Eagles were content with either Goff or Wentz they just wanted one or the other.

IMO for the recent drafts prior to 2017 finding a QB has been paramount and teams were not criticized as heavily for taking them early, even if their grade didn't warrant it. This year that story changed. Look at Mayock's criticisms of Goff:

WEAKNESSES Hits a rough patch with accuracy from time to time. Sails throws over intended targets especially early in games. Has spots where he makes receivers work too hard on easy throws. Spent 99.8 percent of his pass snaps from pistol or shotgun this season. Will likely need to orient himself with NFL footwork from under center. Rhythm passer who benefited from the up­tempo and "quick game" of Cal's Bear Raid offense. Has to learn fine line between getting ball out and rushing throws. Able to escape pocket, but isn't a proven finisher when on the move. Fumbled the ball 24 times over the last three years losing 11. Sacked 81 times over three years. Internal clock and poise will need to be monitored closely. Several of his interceptions came when he failed to read zone defenders underneath drifting up to challenge the throw.

Wouldn't that scare you away from taking him #1 overall? Then there is Trubisky's weaknesses which are nearly identical:

WEAKNESSES Almost 98 percent of his dropbacks came from shotgun. Will have to learn NFL footwork from under center which could take time. Benefits from offense loaded with RPOs (run-pass option) that pull linebackers forward and open easier throwing windows. Played in space-based passing attack that didn't often ask him to throw to tight windows in traffic. Arm slot will drop way down causing batted balls at line of scrimmage. Too willing to float balls rather than air-mailing them out of bounds when he's making a bail-out throw against pressure. Needs better drive accuracy between the hashes. Has a tendency to leave throws in hip pocket of moving targets. Inconsistent deep ball touch. Has touchdown opportunities he babies and invites defenders time to recover. Not always pocket aware. Hyper-focuses on shifting parts down the field and can be late to feel pressure collapsing the edges.

Trubisky is a hell of a lot better on the move than Goff, both running and throwing while running. Most importantly to me is how much better he handles the pressure around the pocket. He has things he can improve upon there but much of this pocket presence is innate. You either have it or you don't and the rest, such as reading defenses, can be learned. Watch the first two minutes of the Stanford game.

I get the fact Trubisky needs to sit and learn but it's that way with almost any QB these days, unless you felt Bridgewater's rookie season was a great one. If you think Dak Prescott was great last year go back and watch the tape. He has plenty of things to work on. I applaud Pace for having a plan in place to allow his rookie to not feel the pressure of being a starter on day 1. The Eagles did the same thing last year and things absolutely worked out great when the Vikings came calling and gave them a 1st Rd pick for Bradford. I don't expect that, and neither did the Eagles. It's pretty clear they were fine going into the season with Bradford as the starter. I'm fine with Glennon taking the reigns this year and letting him compete with Trubisky next year.

As near as I can tell, whichever way the winds blow that year is what the puppets will repeat. Goff failed last year, ( i.e. draft analysts were all wrong) so no way should you take an air raid QB early this year. Luck and Griffen had excellent rookie seasons (draft analysts were right). Put both in the Hall of Fame and it's ok to go after your QB early. Cleveland listened to the pundits and sat back and lost their QB.

Pace might fail with Trubisky but he won't fail for lack of a plan. If he succeeds with Trubisky in the next couple years expect to hear analysts talking about how this is the ideal setup for teams drafting QBs early. Fail or succeed we'll define what the pundits are saying in two years. We should consider KC as using the same strategy (bridge QB in place, spend big to get your future QB). Walter Football gave them a C+ for selling the farm to take the far riskier (IMO) Mahomes. But you know what, he can throw the football over 70 yards.

Damn son, you are better than Larry Mayer! One outstanding, well thought out post after another. Great job...

-----------------

i agree. it is beyond ridiculous. our offseason 'allowed' us to draft as we did.

we added to the core of young players SOLID veteran players to help us get through this season where our REAL chances of WINNING a superbowl are so low as to be nearly non existent. it gives us a chance to evaluate the players we already have in a real sense without breaking the cap bank for high priced free agents.

this years draft has some real potential to be franchise/all-pro quality players. will they start this year? who freaking cares. what i am looking at is the potential to have some superbowl talent on this roster over the next five years. we have glennon to keep us from throwing our QB pick into the fire and groom him behind a QB who himself has the potential to become very good. if glennon does we are in a really good position for future trades for high picks. it's a win/win situation pace has put us in. all this behind a very good OC and QB coaching staff. this ain't like the lovie days in which we can now actually coach our picks to be better players.

same goes for the TE position. we have some nice talent we picked up in free agency and can look at our 2nd round pick as a future premium quality player who matches up perfectly with sims for two BIG blocking tight ends for our running game who also have the skills to become red zone jewels. two good BIG blocking TE's also helps out our tackle situation so many on here question.

same goes for the safety we drafted. this gives us time to evaluate what we already have and the competition becomes a real factor one to two years down the road once he has completely healed and becomes acclimated to the NFL.

the players on our roster already had the possibility to become good players so why draft players and cut them the 2nd or 3rd year if they have real potential to either start or be solid rotational guys. we have given these younger players some good quality vets to guide them and help them transition. this goes along with my feelings that we have a very good coaching staff that can actually coach them up.

first of all, hindsight is always right. you get to pick and choose players that are established as being very good just because they were drafted AFTER to your pick. it's a bad analogy any way you look at it.

many people wanted adams as our #3 pick. in my opinion, there is NO WAY a freaking safety trumps a potential franchise QB especially at that pick. the only players that can even compete at that position would have been an elite LT (not there) or pass rushing DE. we got that DE last year and unless the freak garrot was there it was a no brainer if your scouts and GM did there work.

yet again i must reiterate... you can NOT get all the pieces in one or two drafts for a team as bereft of talent as we had. next draft you work on the next phase, your tackles either in free agency or the draft and just keep building along with other key positions we have not even evaluated yet from our past two drafts before this one.

i see us now as able to really evaluate our existing talent and still be competitive this season.

also one last time... what QB's next year would be worthy of a top 5 pick? and if we draft in the middle of the first, which i have confidence we will come close to, how are you going to GET one?? if there is a can't miss pick he goes #1 without any trades in all probablility. so what do you do? offer an entire draft PLUS, like ditka, to get there?

this is just media BS and it sells papers and fills air time with imbeciles who can't see further than their own nose.

in all reality this is the kind of GM i have been dreaming about since finks/vanisie left chicago. one who has the balls to make the hard calls and really has the intelligence to acquire players for the future of our franchise and not just ones who are the most ready to start now.

so walterdraft or whatever you call yourself.... EAT ME!! it's people who think like you that is half the reason this franchise has won one superbowl in over 50 years.

i agree. it is beyond ridiculous. our offseason 'allowed' us to draft as we did.

we added to the core of young players SOLID veteran players to help us get through this season where our REAL chances of WINNING a superbowl are so low as to be nearly non existent. it gives us a chance to evaluate the players we already have in a real sense without breaking the cap bank for high priced free agents.

this years draft has some real potential to be franchise/all-pro quality players. will they start this year? who freaking cares. what i am looking at is the potential to have some superbowl talent on this roster over the next five years. we have glennon to keep us from throwing our QB pick into the fire and groom him behind a QB who himself has the potential to become very good. if glennon does we are in a really good position for future trades for high picks. it's a win/win situation pace has put us in. all this behind a very good OC and QB coaching staff. this ain't like the lovie days in which we can now actually coach our picks to be better players.

same goes for the TE position. we have some nice talent we picked up in free agency and can look at our 2nd round pick as a future premium quality player who matches up perfectly with sims for two BIG blocking tight ends for our running game who also have the skills to become red zone jewels. two good BIG blocking TE's also helps out our tackle situation so many on here question.

same goes for the safety we drafted. this gives us time to evaluate what we already have and the competition becomes a real factor one to two years down the road once he has completely healed and becomes acclimated to the NFL.

the players on our roster already had the possibility to become good players so why draft players and cut them the 2nd or 3rd year if they have real potential to either start or be solid rotational guys. we have given these younger players some good quality vets to guide them and help them transition. this goes along with my feelings that we have a very good coaching staff that can actually coach them up.

first of all, hindsight is always right. you get to pick and choose players that are established as being very good just because they were drafted AFTER to your pick. it's a bad analogy any way you look at it.

many people wanted adams as our #3 pick. in my opinion, there is NO WAY a freaking safety trumps a potential franchise QB especially at that pick. the only players that can even compete at that position would have been an elite LT (not there) or pass rushing DE. we got that DE last year and unless the freak garrot was there it was a no brainer if your scouts and GM did there work.

yet again i must reiterate... you can NOT get all the pieces in one or two drafts for a team as bereft of talent as we had. next draft you work on the next phase, your tackles either in free agency or the draft and just keep building along with other key positions we have not even evaluated yet from our past two drafts before this one.

i see us now as able to really evaluate our existing talent and still be competitive this season.

also one last time... what QB's next year would be worthy of a top 5 pick? and if we draft in the middle of the first, which i have confidence we will come close to, how are you going to GET one?? if there is a can't miss pick he goes #1 without any trades in all probablility. so what do you do? offer an entire draft PLUS, like ditka, to get there?

this is just media BS and it sells papers and fills air time with imbeciles who can't see further than their own nose.

in all reality this is the kind of GM i have been dreaming about since finks/vanisie left chicago. one who has the balls to make the hard calls and really has the intelligence to acquire players for the future of our franchise and not just ones who are the most ready to start now.

so walterdraft or whatever you call yourself.... EAT ME!! it's people who think like you that is half the reason this franchise has won one superbowl in over 50 years.

Agreed 100%

Peace :dabears

------------

Los Angeles Rams

-----------------

-----------------

Philadelphia Eagles

-----------------

Great post well researched, thought out and well put. The talking heads ("experts") want to look and feel smart in the moment even if in hindsight they look like idiots. So they will stick their finger in the air to see which way the wind is blowing and report accordingly. We get blasted for doing what other teams have gotten praised for doing. These "experts" don't take the time and look deeper than the surface of teams they have no interest in. They look at our 3-13 record and make assumptions and act they know it all. Your also right about their hindsight 20/20 analysis if the Trubisky era turns out good they will about face and act like they knew it'd work. Initially I felt gut punched watching this draft play out, each pick and move left me scratching my head, but, I'm suspending judgement on how this will work out. Pace has taken a risk but, you have to take risks sometimes. Outside of a handful of times the Bears taken far less risky steps to try to solve the QB problem.

I got to looking at the Bears QB draft history and risk is not something often involved. I've listed QB's we drafted back to the last couple years McMahaon was here. Not exactly a list of NFL who's who. Trubisky is our highest QB taken since the late 80's, second highest was McCown, followed by Grossman, and Harbaugh. Also drafts prior to 1993 had 12 rounds instead of 7. In this same stretch we didn't take a QB in 1988, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2015, & 2016. That's 17 drafts out of 31 we didn't bother taking a QB. Of the 14 times we did half were round 5 or later, 4 were first round, etc. For the most part we've spent our QB draft picks on guys who were at best backups. A change of strategy can't hurt. We've been QB challenged for so long, when Jay Cutler is the best you've had statistically for nearly 3 decades that is sad. People are quick to forget that Pace's first two drafts were pretty decent and last years looks to be one of the better drafts we've had. To suddenly say fire everyone when this draft didn't go the way many of us thought or hoped it would is a bit knee jerk. I can't blame Pace for taking a different strategy and taking a shot at solving the QB position long term. It may take a few tries to nail it. But not trying guarantees you won't nail it unless you stumble onto a Brady type late pick gem. We've spent mid/late picks on QB's for much of the last 3 decades what's that gotten us? Trubisky will likely need some time to develop the Bears as a whole are probably a year or two from being real contenders giving him time to work into the system. In the short term we have Glennon to start 2017 from there is up to Glennon, Trubisky, and the staff to determine.

2017 R1 2 Trubisky

2014 R6 183 Fales

2011 R5 160 Enderle

2010 R6 181 LeFevour

2005 R4 106 Orton

2004 R5 148 Krenzel

2003 R1 22 Grossman

1999 R1 12 McNown

1998 R7 232 Moreno

1992 R4 107 Furrer

1991 R7 190 Justin

1990 R3 63 PT Willis

1989 R7 192 Snyder

1987 R1 26 Harbaugh

Great post well researched, thought out and well put. The talking heads ("experts") want to look and feel smart in the moment even if in hindsight they look like idiots. So they will stick their finger in the air to see which way the wind is blowing and report accordingly. We get blasted for doing what other teams have gotten praised for doing. These "experts" don't take the time and look deeper than the surface of teams they have no interest in. They look at our 3-13 record and make assumptions and act they know it all. Your also right about their hindsight 20/20 analysis if the Trubisky era turns out good they will about face and act like they knew it'd work. Initially I felt gut punched watching this draft play out, each pick and move left me scratching my head, but, I'm suspending judgement on how this will work out. Pace has taken a risk but, you have to take risks sometimes. Outside of a handful of times the Bears taken far less risky steps to try to solve the QB problem.

I got to looking at the Bears QB draft history and risk is not something often involved. I've listed QB's we drafted back to the last couple years McMahaon was here. Not exactly a list of NFL who's who. Trubisky is our highest QB taken since the late 80's, second highest was McCown, followed by Grossman, and Harbaugh. Also drafts prior to 1993 had 12 rounds instead of 7. In this same stretch we didn't take a QB in 1988, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2015, & 2016. That's 17 drafts out of 31 we didn't bother taking a QB. Of the 14 times we did half were round 5 or later, 4 were first round, etc. For the most part we've spent our QB draft picks on guys who were at best backups. A change of strategy can't hurt. We've been QB challenged for so long, when Jay Cutler is the best you've had statistically for nearly 3 decades that is sad. People are quick to forget that Pace's first two drafts were pretty decent and last years looks to be one of the better drafts we've had. To suddenly say fire everyone when this draft didn't go the way many of us thought or hoped it would is a bit knee jerk. I can't blame Pace for taking a different strategy and taking a shot at solving the QB position long term. It may take a few tries to nail it. But not trying guarantees you won't nail it unless you stumble onto a Brady type late pick gem. We've spent mid/late picks on QB's for much of the last 3 decades what's that gotten us? Trubisky will likely need some time to develop the Bears as a whole are probably a year or two from being real contenders giving him time to work into the system. In the short term we have Glennon to start 2017 from there is up to Glennon, Trubisky, and the staff to determine.

2017 R1 2 Trubisky

2014 R6 183 Fales

2011 R5 160 Enderle

2010 R6 181 LeFevour

2005 R4 106 Orton

2004 R5 148 Krenzel

2003 R1 22 Grossman

1999 R1 12 McNown

1998 R7 232 Moreno

1992 R4 107 Furrer

1991 R7 190 Justin

1990 R3 63 PT Willis

1989 R7 192 Snyder

1987 R1 26 Harbaugh

I like the 2003-2005 concept. Find a QB, then continue to draft for QB with mid-round picks (3rd/4th preferable). I was one that liked Orton more than Rex, and thought he was better.

I'm hoping the guys Pace drafted have a huge chip on their shoulders and bring their full potential to bear. They were drafted, the golden ring is in sight, take it!

I can see where everybody looks at this draft and bad mouths, it. I did too, but the more I look the more I understand his plan.

first of all, everybody says SF pants us, no one has that knowledge, but I think it will come out someday. If we are taking calls from teams to move up for a QB, does anybody thinks its logical to think SF didnt take calls. From my point of view, I would have wanted a stud D guy and then draft a prospect in the second. The second is worth more that the 3 and 4 we gave up. We got those most of the value of those picks back and drafted the best prospect in the draft, but more importantly it is who Pace wanted. As far as signing Glennon, we went out and got the best QB available in this years off season and I think they think we are going to start winning. The idea situation is to sit Trubisky for 2 years and then let him play at a higher level. Throwing rookies not ready into the fire right away usually wrecks them. He is doing it the right way. I give him kudos for doing this way. Also if Glennon plays well then we will get value back from his success and also put us in play to be successful for the next two years.

Another thing to consider is we are closer than we look last year, the injuries derailed us from winning 6 games, maybe a few more. We have players in place that will ascend that no one is looking at right now.

Bullard

Bush

D. Hall

White

Grasu

Floyd- another step forward

Robinson-Harris

Leno will be one year better.

Whitehair and Howard are already accepted and they are ascending.

We added Cooper, Demps,Cunningham, Wright, Wheaton, Jenkins, Prince A.,Banks, Sims, and Mike Glennon. All of these signings will make us better.

Our team is already much better than last year.

Tribusky is being developed , Shaheen will contribute but not start, Jackson will start if not right away in the early part of the season. Cohen will be a situational contribute in the same design as Tryeek Hill. Morgan will be Sittons future replacement.

The most important piece is drafting our future franchise QB but every draft pick could turn our to be gold.

Tribusky-- franchise QB has been compared to Matt Stanford

Shaheen- is almost exactly a clone of Gronk, but to not be dumb, will turn out to be a Jason Witten type. When Mitch is our QB, Shaheen will be his go to guy.

Jackson- Barring the two injuries, one in 2014 that he played well after and the other a broken leg early this year. With all the studs on Ala defense, he was the captain. If he doesnt start from day one, if will be early the first year.

Cohen-- He will be an immediate contributor, everybody says Sproles clone but he is Tryeek Hill.

If we stay fairly healthy, McPhee,Trevathan, Long, Goldman, and White, we are A BETTER TEAM.

I will say 8-8, but could be better.

Think about it, Howard makes us a power running team with a two TE set, a joy stick in the backfield or split out and a couple downtown threats in Wheaton and White.

This offense could be dynamic, plus another step forward on D and we are a much better team.

I completely agree with Stinger and don't understand how we are not a much better team this year than last?

Yes, the draft was strange as the Bears never trade up in the first round so I am still trying to get my mind around that.

But looking at each player drafted, there is something to like about all of them.

Typical Bear fans complain about everything and do not appreciate that we have a GM trying to make this team better albeit in an unorthodox way.

This team has a history of not taking QB's as well as not being to draft and develop a franchise one at that.

I have been living in Denver now for nearly twenty years. Several years ago I really admired Mike Shanahan's aggressiveness when he identified a potential franchise QB and traded up in the first round to draft Jay Cutler.

Too bad Shanny was not able to continue on with Jay but the rest is history. I still appreciate Jay Cutler and what he brought to the Bears but most Bears fans are to pessimistic to understand why.

Now back to the recent draft and the direction of the Bears. Its just way to early to be overly critical of this draft class. The draft is always a gamble but I believe it will be a successful draft if we yeild 2-3 starters

out of this class within the next two years and even more so if on of these starters is a legit NFL starting QB!

Rotoworld:

Chicago Bears

A little unfair to trubisky couldn't even beat out Marquis. Anyone want to look up the success the dude had down there. He did pretty damn good down there and college coaches don't give a damn about developing these guys for the pros. They only care about winning games today. Not in 5 yrs. The way I see it is trubisky kept his head down and kept his mouth shut worked his ass off and waited for his chance. And when given a chance he excelled. No body knows if he will be great or not. But to grade a draft before guys even put the Jersey on is extremely horrible and they only do it to get ppl to continue talking about it until camp opens

A little unfair to trubisky couldn't even beat out Marquis. Anyone want to look up the success the dude had down there. He did pretty damn good down there and college coaches don't give a damn about developing these guys for the pros. They only care about winning games today. Not in 5 yrs. The way I see it is trubisky kept his head down and kept his mouth shut worked his ass off and waited for his chance. And when given a chance he excelled. No body knows if he will be great or not. But to grade a draft before guys even put the Jersey on is extremely horrible and they only do it to get ppl to continue talking about it until camp opens

Great point Bowlingtwig.

I'm confused because I thought we traded up last year for Floyd which now shows a pattern that Pace will go get his guy.

in my opinion this is a great strategy for two reasons:

1. if he see's value in the 1st round where most of the premium talent is he is not shy in moving up to get that player. we hopefully end up with a player that really makes our franchise better instead of hoping he drops to us.

2. pace is looking at winning wars and not just battles. it really puts other teams in a quandary on draft day. they may figure they HAVE to move up to take a player they target by not knowing what our franchise will do. thus giving up possibly more than they wanted to whether we 'really' had designs on that player or not.

we possibly get more picks for a trade with us or force someone else to give up more picks than they wanted to to get ahead of us.

in my opinion this is a great strategy for two reasons:

1. if he see's value in the 1st round where most of the premium talent is he is not shy in moving up to get that player. we hopefully end up with a player that really makes our franchise better instead of hoping he drops to us.

2. pace is looking at winning wars and not just battles. it really puts other teams in a quandary on draft day. they may figure they HAVE to move up to take a player they target by not knowing what our franchise will do. thus giving up possibly more than they wanted to whether we 'really' had designs on that player or not.

we possibly get more picks for a trade with us or force someone else to give up more picks than they wanted to to get ahead of us.

I have no issue with it. I think we got bit twice a few years back. Aaron Donald and possibly Leonard Williams the following year. The guys we got instead were Kyle Fuller and Kevin White and neither has worked out for us as of yet.