Falcons at Bears Official Week 1 Game Thread

Stinger226

I have stated many times that I think the Bears will be much better than people expect. The lose of Meredith hurts quit a bite but I still the possibility of them upsetting ATL.

They will stunt the Falcons running game and apply pressure on Ryan in the passing game.

On offense they will power run, using up the clock with much two TE sets, just enough offense to score 20- 23 points.

The key will be to have a TO advantage during the game.

I say 23 -17 and Cohen scores the winning TD.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to look back at the results of Week 1 last season to see if there is any relationship or correlation.

Last year, we lost to HOU 24-13, Week 1, but had a 14-13 lead entering the 4th quarter. Langford was the starting RB and Howard did not get a touch. We intercepted Osweiler once, and sacked him twice, but Miller had over 100 yards rushing. I would say that ATL is a much better overall team than HOU but HOU probably has a better defense. I would say that we have an improved team overall but that is mainly on the defensive side of the ball.

Atlanta lost to TB in Week 1, 31-24, and never led after TB took the lead in the 2nd quarter. TB built an 18 pt lead and made ATL one-dimensional.

In their 5 losses, teams held them with less than 400 total yards in 4 of the 5 games, and they had at least one turnover in 4 of their 5 losses. So the formula is to prevent 400 total yards and get at least one turnover. Easier said than done, but doable.

I don't see this as a blowout and ATL is only a (-7) right now which is interesting for a SB team vs a 3-13 team. That leads me to believe that the experts believe this is going to be a closer game than the public does.

I am also going with an upset, Bears 27-24 with Atlanta scoring a late TD to make the score look closer.

I have stated many times that I think the Bears will be much better than people expect. The lose of Meredith hurts quit a bite but I still the possibility of them upsetting ATL.

They will stunt the Falcons running game and apply pressure on Ryan in the passing game.

On offense they will power run, using up the clock with much two TE sets, just enough offense to score 20- 23 points.

Most of the time I disagree with just about anything you say, but this time I have to say I'm with you. I'm not sure what it is but something tells me the team will do a lot better than people expect. Just off the top of my head, Fox had been successful twice now in leading teams to the SB by using someone else's QB. Well at least a QB that was on another team the year or two prior. In Carolina it was Delhomme and in Denver it was that guy named Manning. So could it happen with Glennon? Sure, history certainly says it could.

The biggest question in my mind right now is the WR situation. Was sad to see Cruz go but he must not have been able to give what they needed him to. Something tells me we'll we Victor retire soon. Im wondering, given the low number of 'known' WRs in the FA market that Pace doesn't try and make a trade for one. Although with all the TEs on the roster he may also stand pat. The offense could easily become a West Coast style with run heavy and short pass ball control.... that is until Trubisky takes over.

ATL is only a (-7) right now which is interesting for a SB team vs a 3-13 team. That leads me to believe that the experts believe this is going to be a closer game than the public does.

The oddsmakers dont attempt to predict the outcome successfully, they set the line to attract equal money on both sides so that no matter who wins, the bookies make their cut with no risk.

Therefore they believe the public thinks that ATL is a 7 point favorite?

Normally the home team gets 3 points by odds makers and with them only getting 4 more points in the opening of a new stadium puzzles me and makes me think that they are trying to attract money on the Falcons. Atlanta still has speed on defense and tremendous weapons on offense as well as they may have some insight into rhow to challenge Glennon. I think they will play great defense but will be worn down in the second half from lack of offense.

Last year Atlanta's defense was ranked 25th overall. 28th against the pass but 17th against the run. I never watched enough of them to know if the pass D was so bad nobody had to run on them. Regardless, we must run against them. If the NFL depth chart is correct, their starting ILB are 222lbs, and 232lbs. Then with Vic Beasley off the edge at 242lbs, he's light like Floyd but can't play with as much leverage at 6'3". If you look at Beasley's sack stats 12 of his 15.5 total came in the first half. He's not much of a 2nd half player. We need to wear them down and then find success in the passing game with the TEs.

I agree our line will need to play like they did against Minnesota last night. Man handle them and wear them out. Hopefully our season will be based on a strong running game even with the safeties in the box and then when we get into the red one play 2TE sets and take advantage of big players who can box off the linebackers because they will need to respect the run.

My biggest hope is that this year instead of the last few openers to my recollection we have good opening drives. Not like when Paulson at TE was at fault in 2 of the first 3 plays. Was that last year or the previous. I don't want to feel deflated if we start this season undisciplined from that start such as a 3 plays and out on offence or a 80 to 90 yard drive from Atlanta with. TD.

I agree our line will need to play like they did against Minnesota last night. Man handle them and wear them out. Hopefully our season will be based on a strong running game even with the safeties in the box and then when we get into the red one play 2TE sets and take advantage of big players who can box off the linebackers because they will need to respect the run.

My biggest hope is that this year instead of the last few openers to my recollection we have good opening drives. Not like when Paulson at TE was at fault in 2 of the first 3 plays. Was that last year or the previous. I don't want to feel deflated if we start this season undisciplined from that start such as a 3 plays and out on offence or a 80 to 90 yard drive from Atlanta with. TD.

Most of the offensive players are new to the team, or even new to the NFL. We will have mistakes early in the year.

The oddsmakers dont attempt to predict the outcome successfully, they set the line to attract equal money on both sides so that no matter who wins, the bookies make their cut with no risk.

Therefore they believe the public thinks that ATL is a 7 point favorite?

At the same time, they don't build multi-billion dollar buildings in the desert because they are bad at setting the point spread. If they put the line off too far one way, they stand to lose significantly. If the line were -3 Bears, there would be a boatload of money put on the Falcons.

At the same time, they don't build multi-billion dollar buildings in the desert because they are bad at setting the point spread. If they put the line off too far one way, they stand to lose significantly. If the line were -3 Bears, there would be a boatload of money put on the Falcons.

Some things to note, the losing team in the last superbowl is 2-15 against the spread its first game since 2000.

Another statistic is since 1993, the losing team in the Superbowl is 2-15 while on the road in the first game the next year.

It will obvious come down to turn overs. If we win the TO battle, we will win the game.

Cohen will make you think of Tyrek Hill from the Thursday night game.

no you really dont understand.

ALL they want is equal money on both sides of the bet. They have zero interest in accurately predicting the game, except in however that truth affects the public perception of it.

They built all those buildings by not losing bets. When you have equal money on both sides, you cant lose no matter what happens.

If there comes a time where public opinion and the true predicted outcome of the game diverge, then they build buildings by following the crowd, again attracting equal money on both sides, even when the public is wrong.

You can make $ over time taking the points against emotional favorites like the Patriots and the Packers for this reason.

no you really dont understand.

ALL they want is equal money on both sides of the bet. They have zero interest in accurately predicting the game, except in however that truth affects the public perception of it.

They built all those buildings by not losing bets. When you have equal money on both sides, you cant lose no matter what happens.

If there comes a time where public opinion and the true predicted outcome of the game diverge, then they build buildings by following the crowd, again attracting equal money on both sides, even when the public is wrong.

You can make $ over time taking the points against emotional favorites like the Patriots and the Packers for this reason.

I get the spread thing, the second statistic is win and loses. All of this is a suggestion of hope that we have a chance to be competitive.

I get the spread thing, the second statistic is win and loses. All of this is a suggestion of hope that we have a chance to be competitive.

I agree with you Stinger. I was just saying that the spread isn't really the insider view of the experts (in other words, you could be right!) but instead it's a VERY professional guage of what the betting public thinks the spread ought to be.

Of course, the crowd is often right, but when it comes to new teams, and upsets, of course the crowd doesnt see those. More to your side of the argument.

As one example, the crowd said that Trubisky was a bad pick and the trade was a bad one. Common wisdom is often correct, but not always.

That said, I dunno if I predict a win against Atlanta, but I surely do think we will be competitive this year, especially in the running game and on the D line. The secondary is a question mark, could go either way, the WRs are thin, and Im not sold on the OL until I see it on the field.

Lots of reason for optimism I agree, common wisdom not being a good guide for this.

I am totally at a loss in my expectations for this game.

I usually have a firm grip on my pregame predictions, not this year.

I visualize the Bears defense being dominate and keeping us in the game with us pulling off an upset victory.

Then the gallon of Bears Kool-aide that I chugged down wears off and I picture the Bears defense playing respectful but not good enough as Glennon throws multiple picks causing us to lose the season opener.

I think I will go back and drink some more Kool-aide, LOL.

I enjoy dreams more than nightmares.

Game info from Windy City Gridiron:

Time: Noon - Bears’ Time

Channel: A large part of the Midwest will have this game on FOX, see the map at 506sports.com.

Announcers: Kevin Burkhardt and Charles Davis (This was supposed to be the Jay Cutler in the booth game)

Radio: In Chicago, WCFS 105.9FM and WBBM 780AM (Full list of radio affiliates here)

Sirius Radio: SIRI 135 (Internet 805)

Online Streaming

NFL Game Pass

Odds

Bears +6

Just a note on Atlanta, remember they lost Kyle Shanahan as their OC; Steve Sarkisian is now in as OC.

They have not looked good all preseason (0-4), and in Game 3 particularly (24-14 L to ARZ), they looked really bad (Ryan with 8.1 Passer Rating).

This is going to come down to us running the ball well and taking the run away from Falcons. I think Cohen will make a big splash in the game. Lets say 12 touches with a TD.

If we win the TO battle we have a good chance to win.

I think last year everybody jumped in with Fox always doing well in his second year at a new team, but the truth is this team needed another year to rebuild the worst roster in the NFL. This is basically the Fox year to start the turn around.

We would have had double the wins last year but was decimated by injuries. Hopefully this year injuries wont derail our rebuild. Losing Cam will hurt but who last year seen him as a asset going into the new year, no one.

So I suspect someone will step up, it would be nice if White was that person, and Wright having a good year.

Everyone keeps repeating the worn out line of "win the TO battle". Is everyone forgetting how bad we were at doing that last yr and please don't tell if it wasn't for the injuries blah blah blah. The start reality is we suck at creating turnovers. We went out and got prince and demps and then drafted Jackson thinking that will solve the problem. Well we continued to suck at it during the preseason and now please prince is out. I just don't have a good feeling about the game. I do agree if we have any chance of winning the game or at the very least being competitive we need to run the ball and stop there running game. Which I think we can do however Mattie ice was extremely good against the blitz. I've got real doubts we can cover the spread. I think we can keep it competitive but it gets away from us late. Here's hoping I'm wrong

Logic dictates we lose.

That said, I'd like to see 3 things...

1. A significantly improved D.

2. A continued strong running game

3. Kevin White emerge as an NFL WR. Don't need a pro bowler. Now. Just a guy who can play and contribute.

That said. Prior to Shanahan, Atlanta tended to underachieve. It's week one. Crazy stuff happens. Why not a win?

Let's go Bears!

Glennon makes one good throw and then airmails one to Zach Miller and takes an unnecessary sack that takes them out of FG range, ending the drive. Dumb.

Edit: Welp, nvm. I guess Barth's leg is stronger than I thought.

I know I thought that was a bad decision to kick it to. Certainly didn't think he could hit from 54. I will say ever since they brought in arguayo he's been very good.